Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Is the game engine multiplayer friendly?

Please let it be lag free as possible!

By on December 6, 2006 2:38:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

afterlifehg

Join Date 12/2006
Okay I admit it- homeworld2 is a pretty decent game. What really ruin the game for everyone though is the crappy multiplayer, mainly the persistent lag! I believe I have a pretty decent comp meeting all of the minimum requirement and more yet still I get pretty bad lags in 3vs3 and sometimes 2vs2. So, perhaps I am jumping the gum...but will Sins be a multiplayer-friendly lag free game? Not completely lag free of course, not so naive as that, but decently lag free. Also, will it use gamespy or Won? I say Won... what works for hw works for all games
Locked Post 18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 6, 2006 5:07:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
if you would actually read the forums...the game will be using its own online multiplayer service for rankings and such.
December 6, 2006 7:08:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Most likely the game will be very well oriented multiplayer wise, but we dont know yet well have to wait for the beta and even then we cant really be sure.
December 6, 2006 7:41:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sins was designed from day one for both single and multiplayer. Internet play will be over Ironclad Online. After the single player beta, there will be a multiplayer beta so you can check it out. If you are interested, it would be a great chance to help us track down any lag issues and perfect the balance. For those of you who are looking ahead , you will also be able to get a leg up on the competition before release
December 7, 2006 1:33:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ah, as I thought, I was jumping the gun- thanks for your response blair.

if you would actually read the forums...the game will be using its own online multiplayer service for rankings and such.

Thank you for that warm response to my first post in this forum since about six months ago.
December 7, 2006 4:51:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
yea..sorry about that....it was an off day for me
April 2, 2007 2:28:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I think as is in a game with both human players and AI players, the humans would be the bane of eachother, and AI would reign supreme
May 22, 2007 9:23:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I think it would be the opposite, the Human players would band together to kill off the AI players first, and then, probably before the AI was completely dead, they would start squabbling, but it would be too late for the AI.
May 24, 2007 6:08:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think as is in a game with both human players and AI players, the humans would be the bane of eachother, and AI would reign supreme

I think it would be the opposite, the Human players would band together to kill off the AI players first, and then, probably before the AI was completely dead, they would start squabbling, but it would be too late for the AI.

haha, id ally with both the AI and the player(s), and when the time is right ill strike at one of ya
May 24, 2007 6:08:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
double post
May 24, 2007 6:21:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
or better yet, ill ally with both of ya, and when you 2 attack the AI ill be attacking some where else
May 27, 2007 10:53:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
The best experiences I've had playing cooperatively online have been in bf2142 and command&conquer generals. I haven't tried homeworld2, but I'll remember to check it out. Coming in fresh to this post and reading along, the best experiences of c&c online play came to mind most of all. Granted they were few and far between, and those of you who have also played there know it's not the game's problem ? ... but I was kind of hoping against the odds that 2-3 human players against the AI team would be fun in Sins of a Solar Empire too. I still kind of wonder if the element of betrayal, or "team-switching", is realistic or helpful. After all, there are many reasons why team members might want to consider their goal accomplished and move on after conquering their enemies. New game, new challenge, self-destruction not really a very smart strategy, etc.
July 16, 2007 1:05:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
this all reminds me of a hw1 match i had once...this was back when homeworld was new and there were few people in the MP lobby....In that game i was a master of the fighter rush..so one game i played a 1 vs 1 match..i harassed the hell out of the guy i was facing i completely destroyed his harvesting operation and he was going exclusively down the capship research path...at this point the guy was livid..yelling about how what i was doing was cheap (I was hyperspacing in wave after wave of fighters/bombers via supply frigates) he kept going on and on about how if he could get his capships out he would dominate me. Then he quit the game. was only a 15-20 minute match

So i decide to start another match after this i was annoyed with facing human opponents so i started a match with human allies vs AI opponents 4 vs 4 i believe. Lo and behold geuss who was one of my allies, the dufus from the last match. So we go about playing the game..we didn't talk much. I managed to take out 1 AI fast then the game dragged on for a bit i managed to get a carrier full of fighters before the resources on the map ran out..at this time he had finally gotten all his capship research done and got stuff built..at this point there was only 1 AI left and he had yet to even launch an attack. I sent my carrier out to kill the last AI and while that was out doing that chore the jack@^% unallied himself with me and launched everything he had against my undefended mother ship he destroyed it gloated about how he thought that he was proven right about capships being better than fighters in that game then had the nerve to offer an alliance back with me. I said no way in hell then i got everyone else to attack him and turn him and his great fleet into space debris.

Moral of the story:
1. Big scary boats are fun but if u face me i make sure u don't ever get to that point
2. Dont be a jerk otherwise i get all my friends and nuke you

and what this has to do with the topic im not really sure....its a good story anyways
September 19, 2007 1:01:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Now that Post Brings Back Memories, i used to use fighters alot like you, but moral dropped for the once mighty strategy for me when the corvette walls came in trailed by support frigs... so now instead i do that the corvettes and mine up my base if they dare get capitals to counter
August 17, 2014 9:48:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Blair Fraser,

Sins was designed from day one for both single and multiplayer. 

LMFAO Starclad's lies and duplicity EXPOSED! AHAHA this is too rich!!!

August 17, 2014 9:58:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've heard that line before but not from Stardock employees.  Did someone official actually claim that Sins wasn't developed for multiplayer, or are you engaging in group think with other asshats that don't know anything?

August 17, 2014 10:18:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SP apologists have always claimed sins was never meant as a MP game, and that it was only tacked on at the last minute so the devs can play with each other (this is also what the devs have claimed). Well here is the proof to disprove that lie.

August 18, 2014 12:02:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When someone says the sky is blue, do you fly into a rage over their favoritism towards the color?  I'm just wondering if this irrational behavior of yours is a broader problem, or one specific to having your panties in a twist over the odd crash.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time: