Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins Beta 2 - Gameplay Feedback - *Post Here*

Put your non-bug posts here!

By on June 20, 2007 12:59:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yarlen

Join Date 01/2005
+186

This thread is for non-technical feedback for Sins of a Solar Empire Beta 2. 

Please reply to this post if you'd like to comment on features you'd like to see, gameplay elements present that you like/dislike, graphics comments, etc.

If you wish to make a bug, performance, or compatibility report about Beta 2, please post it here:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/index.aspx?AID=155664

By keeping this information separate, it will go a long way towards us making Sins a better game!

Thanks!

Locked Post   |   595 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 21, 2007 3:05:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Just wondering when we get to play with that mysterious yellow button? Or is it still in the phase, that once you press it the universe implodes...
June 21, 2007 3:07:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
not sure yet.....
June 21, 2007 5:08:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
DAMN PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!! Lol I like what they say. They were going to plunder my port bow or something. And they talk about rats in space (which would XPLODE!)

The Cruiser that has 1 squad seems usless (I have played beta 2 for 1.5 hours already! ), but I haven't used it enough to see if its all that usefull. Lets see.... all the cruisers are really high up on the tech tree...could you lower them...maybe? I definitly had less capital ships like you said would happen (trying to research and upgrade and stuff really drains the economy!). Like beta 1 there aren't enough crystal things in the beginning, I usually sell the rock stuff and buy more crystals.

PLEASE enable the button that allows you to rename things!!!!!

The seemingly usless carrier:

Cool UFO like ship that spit out tiny robots
June 21, 2007 5:09:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ooo, doomsday button
June 21, 2007 5:18:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hey (sorry, I know that this doesn't belong on this thread) I just noticed that photobucket is downsizing my images to 800x600 (they are 1024x768 on my hard drive), so does anybody know an image hosting website that doesn't shrink your photos?
June 21, 2007 5:38:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Research is not dependent on the status of the research station. At 1% built (research station)you are able to do full research. Perhaps you can set a minimum percentage before research can start (say 40 or 50%) but this would slow down the construction of the station and research. I would say just slow research but honestly the station is built pretty quick so a double penalty (construction/research) would be better.
June 21, 2007 5:43:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
oops
June 21, 2007 6:17:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Research is not dependent on the status of the research station. At 1% built (research station)you are able to do full research.

Are you sure it's actually making progress and not just queued up (just about anything can be queued if the prerequesite is queued, and it'll start work once the prereq is done)?

Don't underestimate Peris--bombers are still pretty powerful, and they're a much cheaper way to get them than Sovas.
June 21, 2007 6:19:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
So far so good! The "wow factor" has been boosted a few notches and I have only had a about 30 minutes to play so far!!! One can almost feel that level of effort that has gone into the limited polish so far as well as envision the final version that will surely go down in history as a true masterwork of game engineering for the space genera.
June 21, 2007 6:57:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I have a terran world (my capital) and an arid one. Why does the arid one have more logistics structure slots available to it (It's not because of upgrades).
June 21, 2007 7:05:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Research is not dependent on the status of the research station. At 1% built (research station)you are able to do full research.

Are you sure it's actually making progress and not just queued up (just about anything can be queued if the prerequesite is queued, and it'll start work once the prereq is done)?

Sorry. You are correct. This is what happens when i have been awake for over 48 hours.

June 21, 2007 7:16:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
this game is extremely hard on hard setting , that is all....
June 21, 2007 7:17:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Why does the arid one have more logistics structure slots available to it (It's not because of upgrades).

To make it more useful. Each type of world now has some particular reason that it's desirable... desert worlds have more logistics slots, arctic worlds have lots of crystal, volcanic worlds give extra fleet supply, and terran worlds give the most population.
June 21, 2007 7:23:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why does the arid one have more logistics structure slots available to it (It's not because of upgrades).

To make it more useful. Each type of world now has some particular reason that it's desirable... desert worlds have more logistics slots, arctic worlds have lots of crystal, volcanic worlds give extra fleet supply, and terran worlds give the most population.

nice, didn't even notice that, as I was getting my butt whipped in my last game, lol...

seriously can this game get any better? and we haven't even gotten a taste of the Vasari or Advent yet!
June 21, 2007 7:25:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
w0000000000000000000000000t

63%complete

sry, couldn't keep it in so i had to say it
June 21, 2007 7:30:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
June 21, 2007 8:12:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Damn, I need to get me some of those arctic worlds. I haven't seen either an arctic or a volcanic yet...
June 21, 2007 8:12:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
The forum ate my post so I'm going to have to summarize it quick

My initial impressions, having not been involved in Beta 1, and only having an hour to play the tutorials before heading out:

1) wow.

2) A very beautiful game, well organized and thought out.

3) The transitions when selecting between different objects were a bit jarring, are there plans to smooth that out?

4) The "features" page of the website says: "Can support thousands of planets and solar systems, the only limitation is the player's system." In game I was only able to select 4 solar systems, not that I'm freaking out because you are still allowed 100+ planets...but I was hoping to spread that throughout more solar systems. Is this going to be increased?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!!

~ Endurell
June 21, 2007 8:29:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I have.. opinions. Not sure exactly what it is I need, but I'll try to put it down in writing.

I played Beta 1 for four hours yesterday and Beta 2 for four hours today. Here are a few things I have been thinking about:

1. Middle mouse button woes.

I can't seem to figure out what the middle mouse button does. I think it focuses the camera on the selected unit, but... I think what I WANT it to do is to focus the camera on the unit CURRENTLY under the mouse cursor. I realize this what CTRL-CLICK does already, but doesn't that also select the clicked target, which means I will no longer have my attack squad selected so I can kill the hostiles I wanted to focus camera on?

Please let the middle mouse button focus on the unit under my cursor. Maybe that doesn't work. I dunno. It's just what I intuitively expect when clicking it. Switching between selected units is NOT what I expected, nor do I really see what's so useful about it. For switching units, I would expect TAB to do that work.

2. Attack hostiles of a specific type, with my units of specific types.

What I WANT to do is this:
- Select my team's units that I want to use for the attack.
- Focus camera on the hostile units so they are immobile relative my camera, so they are easier to click on.
- Target ALL hostile units of a certain type, say fighters.

How I imagine I should be able to do this is
- Bandbox my own units, or SHIFT-ALT-LEFTclick the types of units I want to use.
- Middle-mouse-click or even middle-mouse-bandbox the hostile units.
- SHIFT-ALT-RIGHTclick the enemy unit types I want to destroy.

Typical situation: Several thousand pirates have just entered the system and the PILLAGER type are bombarding the planet. Your automatic defenses seem to ignore these guys for some reason, but I want to focus all firepower on them first, or the planet's dead within two minutes. What I WANT to do is quickly select the apropriate firepower and quickly target all hostile units of the correct type, so I can then zoom out and focus on combat elsewhere.

...or the AI could just worry more about planet-attack weapons. Still, that doesn't solve the ambiguity of the middle mouse button or the inability to attack hostile ships of a certain type. I tried Shift-clicking. Sure it works, but it still takes ten clicks where one alt-click should have been enough.

3. Too many pirates.

I thought the pirates came from unexplored areas, like Barbarians in Civilization. They don't seem to, and they also seem to be able to conjure ships out of thin vacuum (or the sun's corona?). Please let pirates obey SOME of the laws of thermodynamics - preferably preservation of matter and energy.

4. Suicidal support ships

Capital support ships race into close combat with enemy defense installations, dying in almost half the time of their more combat-centered bretheren. I'm thinking what the more "logical", or the more "expected" behavior should be, and I'm leaning towards support capitals staying close to other capital ships, or at least close to the center of the local battle group, so that their support functions actually have a meaning, but at the same time without bringing the support capitals into the center of the fray, putting them under heavy enemy anti-capital fire.

I can't remember the names of all the capitals yet, but it was the one that looks more like an ocean liner than a warship. Ran into the center of of flock of gauss cannon while its combat-oriented brothers were safely at far weapon distance. Most annoying was that I told the ocean-liner to back off, break off to back line, but when I zoomed out and zoomed back in, it was RIGHT back in the middle of the killzone again. ARGH! I appreciate that they mind their own business if I zone out, but could they at least respect the spirit of my orders for more than a single minute while I turn my back?

PS: The seemingly useless carrier cruiser isn't useless - it's the cheapest way of bringing a bigger fighter / bomber cap along with your fleet to the distant battle zone. What are you going to do? Bring more capitals instead?

June 21, 2007 8:32:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
4) The "features" page of the website says: "Can support thousands of planets and solar systems, the only limitation is the player's system." In game I was only able to select 4 solar systems, not that I'm freaking out because you are still allowed 100+ planets...but I was hoping to spread that throughout more solar systems. Is this going to be increased?

yeah its limited in the beta's as far as i can tell... I remember someone modding it to over 100 systems or something like that, took almost 20 minutes to load it, lol....
June 21, 2007 8:34:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I agree with the piratees issue, but its being addressed as we heard in the IRC chat.

And the Carrier Cruiser has caught me off guard twice already , and the enemy likes to send them in pairs... VERY dangerous to a system with no flak defense.
June 21, 2007 9:38:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't seem to figure out what the middle mouse button does. I think it focuses the camera on the selected unit, but... I think what I WANT it to do is to focus the camera on the unit CURRENTLY under the mouse cursor. I realize this what CTRL-CLICK does already, but doesn't that also select the clicked target, which means I will no longer have my attack squad selected so I can kill the hostiles I wanted to focus camera on?

Please let the middle mouse button focus on the unit under my cursor. Maybe that doesn't work. I dunno. It's just what I intuitively expect when clicking it. Switching between selected units is NOT what I expected, nor do I really see what's so useful about it. For switching units, I would expect TAB to do that work.

I agree with this and it's actually an option. I just think it shoudl be ON by default.

June 21, 2007 10:21:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1. Middle mouse button woes.

2. Attack hostiles of a specific type, with my units of specific types.

3. Too many pirates.

4. Suicidal support ships

1. Should be easy to make this an option.

2. This can already be done via the empire tree (which means you don't even have to zoom in or change your camera focus and makes the overview very easy) though we'll consider your method as another way to do it.  Turn on stacking select your ships of a given type (auto stacked by type) and then tell them to attack the stack of things you are interested in (which are also grouped by type). There are a number of other tactical relevant tricks to be found with the empire tree in addition.

3. Pirates are proportional to the amount of trade and bounty though they may need to tuned down for the easy and normal difficulty levels. Counter pirates against you by making the bounty higher on someone else and if not, defend the crap out of your choke point planets closest to the sun (where they currently start from). They will eventually start from a special pirate base planet.

4. Right click the attack button to control the range which the ship will go to attack (attack things in weapon range / hold position, attack things in short range, attack things in gravity well). I use this regularly to control my tactical positionning. Also notice that the bottom right button is empty -it will also likely include special ai states beyond this.

June 21, 2007 10:42:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
3. Pirates are proportional to the amount of trade and bounty though they may need to tuned down for the easy and normal difficulty levels. Counter pirates against you by making the bounty higher on someone else and if not, defend the crap out of your choke point planets closest to the sun (where they currently start from). They will eventually start from a special pirate base planet.

easier said than done, my last 2 maps my choke point planets were the 4 along the frontline... there are too many gravity well entrances now
June 21, 2007 10:46:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Don't forget to bring the disscussion to our IRC channel at #sins
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time: