Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Developer Journals Forum

By on September 27, 2007 4:08:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Zoomba

Join Date 11/2002
+114

Welcome To the Sins of a Solar Empire Developer Journals Forum.

In the coming months, the team at Ironclad games will be posting periodic developer journals, talking about what goes into making a game like Sins of a Solar Empire.  Hopefully these journals will give you better insight into how certain decisions were made and answer questions you may have about the game.

This forum is restricted so that only Ironclad or Stardock employees can create threads.  However, anyone can comment on a thread once created.  This is to keep the forum clean and to make it very easy for gamers to find posts by the developers.

We hope you enjoy this addition to the site, it should make for some fun conversations 

-Zoomba

Pinned, Locked Post 26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 27, 2007 4:33:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
W00t!

I always loved developer journals, like the journal Stardock has on it's site. Nice that you people also go in this route.
September 27, 2007 9:35:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Awesome
September 27, 2007 9:36:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
This should be good , we will get to find out intimate details?
September 28, 2007 4:40:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
<- nothing more to say orrrrrrr wuuuhaaaaa
September 28, 2007 9:45:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Nice been waiting for this
October 13, 2007 12:37:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
well done!!! Can't think of a down side to this in any way!
October 15, 2007 2:27:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well done!!! Can't think of a down side to this in any way!

I can

*imagines yarlen going into detail of how he is constantly stalked at night* AHHHHHHHH

*gets scared*
October 15, 2007 10:15:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
December 4, 2007 5:32:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Its about time for some new journals, what the heck is everyone doing ?
December 4, 2007 5:39:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Playing sins duh
December 4, 2007 5:39:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Its about time for some new journals, what the heck is everyone doing ?
Working?

Though a new entry now and then would be nice.
May 7, 2008 3:53:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I would like to see in SoaSE

not necessarily in proirity:

1 randomization of home planets type/staring resources in maps/game info.

2 get planets & ships about to be destroyed to surrender to victor but stll partial count against loser total (depends on influence levels)

3 ability to add conquering and back/reengineer other races techs

4 if person hosting uses mod, other online players can use it too in game.

5 how ofetn oyher players have played together (serial not handle)

finally spell check for fourms
May 7, 2008 3:55:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I would like to see in SoaSE

not necessarily in proirity:

1 randomization of home planets type/staring resources in maps/game info.

2 get planets & ships about to be destroyed to surrender to victor but stll partial count against loser total (depends on influence levels)

3 ability to add conquering and back/reengineer other races techs

4 if person hosting uses mod, other online players can use it too in game.

5 how ofetn oyher players have played together (serial not handle)
June 1, 2008 8:13:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I believe that if the game was abit different it would be alot more enjoyable plus competitive/ fun.
My idea was:
- When you make an account, u pick ur race and ur flag ship.
- Instead of the flag ship starting again at every game, make it so your flag ship levels on your account. This means that if u start a game ur flag ship would not be at level 1 but instead the players expeirience can be seen through the lvl of his/her flagship.
- Ofcourse this would mean that the creators of this game would have to increase the amount of level ups your cap ship can have by alot, but it would make the game alot more enjoyable for long term players.

If anyone has any thoughts or question on my idea plz feel free to contact me at wezsimo@hotmail.com
June 26, 2008 1:11:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
How about some word on a campaign or at least a campaign editor? SINS is glitzy, shiny and nice, but boring as... well... it's made for MP and lacking time for MP gaming leaves one stuck with SP gaming.

I'll reinstall SINS when it has a campaign.
June 26, 2008 9:53:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
i also was disapointed in the lack of a campain and any aditional story about the 3 sides
June 26, 2008 10:15:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
A campaign will come in the expansion pack, which was pretty much confirmed but not yet "officially" announced.
July 11, 2008 10:03:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
dear develipers plz add it to were your able to go down on planets wih soldeirs to fight wars on planets also maka it to were you can build and develop the planet your self thank you
July 25, 2008 11:47:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I want a way to block other players, even a perma-ban from games, as well as a chat filter. Heck, i'll try to make myself one if you show me where lol.
December 2, 2008 4:24:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, I just wanted give you guys a BIG THANK YOU very big 

My laptop for some reason that only god know has decided that  it doesn’t  have a D-drive. I was trying to get back to version 1.05 and I was not having much luck at it. Then it hit me I can just copy it from my desktop computer to my laptop via a Ethernet cable. And I was also able to do the reverse moving 1.1 from my laptop to my  desktop, I did this because we have dialup internet and it would have taken many hours to download at home.  What I was able to do was only possible do to the freedom that you have give me the COSTIMER not a pirate. A loyal customer who had a problem that I need to get around

Once again thank you very much for the freedom that you have given me the costumer 

P.S. also I would I like to thank you for not needing to use a disk because once again I would have been screwed. (as a side not the only games that I can play on my laptop are from you guys.  So chock  up another for costumer serves )

Sincerely, Stephen H.

February 9, 2009 8:32:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To emulate a campain:

Turn OFF system sound

Start sins

Goto "random huge map"

Create 7 unfair AI

Ally them in 2,2,2,1.

Play for 3 days.

There you have it! About the same length as HW2s campain (for me).

Thanks!

Jeremy
(who wonders what flak will start homing in)

March 4, 2010 9:48:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

can the tec gauss defence guns become TEC SUPERMAC platforms (same function but anyone who plays halo 2 probably nows about it

March 4, 2010 9:54:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

**whispering**

I see dead threads

December 9, 2010 2:10:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The developers of sins have to deploy an online internetplatform for costumers to battle against each other. From the basic intention it is a classical multiplayer game. To give it an easy accessable MP Platform as in AOE2 sins would be a standard brand within the Internet gaming community. It is so sorry that the developers of the game did not see its potential.

December 9, 2010 7:38:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have you even tried the ICO [Ironclad Online] button?

The multiplayer button is for IP and LAN.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001125   Page Render Time: