Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD WIP] Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2 (updated 01/10/09)

By on January 27, 2008 6:07:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Major Stress

Join Date 05/2006
+154

Featured (by a small mention) in the October edition of PC Gamer magazine

Candidate for Mod Database's 2008 Mod of the Year

This is the OLD "Work in Progress" thread for the Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2 mod.

The new WIP topic is here http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/342747

The "Release" topic can be found here http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/322473

The mod is intended to be a hommage, and tribute to the original Sacrifice of Angels mod for Homeworld. It will use many of the same models, and effects created for that mod by the Trekmods team. Like the original SoA mod SoA2 is set during the Dominion War era of Star Trek. Using both canon, and non-canon units to recreate those battles with Sins "empire building" mechanic added. Like in SoA you can fight battles in SoA2 using hundreds of starships. Sometimes thousands if your computer can handle it

While the mod was not intended as a "Total Conversion". That is exactly what it is winding up being. There is much about the Sins engine, and mechanics that we still need to learn. There are some hard coded stumbling blocks we have to overcome.

The factions will be the Federation, Klingons, Romulan, and the Dominion (with Breen, and Cardassian ally units). The main factions seen in the Dominion War. With a "Surprise" as the Pirate faction.

Factions like the Borg "may" be added in the future. LokiGodofMischief is working on a very good 3rd party Borg add on for SoA 2. It is very possible his add on may be merged with SoA 2 at a much later time.

The current version of SoA 2 is  0.03b   "The Second Dominion War". Look for it here  http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/322473

0.03b only works with Sins versions 1.1, 1.11, and 1.12.

All previous versions of SoA 2 are obsolete, and will not be supported, or hosted anymore. All older version downloads will be removed.

We will NOT port SoA 2 over to Entrenchment until after Entrenchment is out of beta, and released. Along with proper forge tool updates.

I am working on the models mostly ALONE so it may take a while for any new ship model updates.

Darkshimmer is the Balancing guru, Code monkey, and Master at arms. We do have other contributers, and the best 3rd party work from the finest artists in the trek mod community to help make SoA 2 the best it can be.

Status of Demo 0.04  "The actors are in place" 

Will update when i have news.

General Changes:

Manshooters Volumetric Explosions mod will be included as of 0.03a

May include Sins Plus (planets), but ill need to see how much that mod needs changing to incorporate into SoA 2.

SoA 2 0.03 and above is now patch 1.1, and better compatable. Sins patches 1.11, and 1.12 only address balancing, and online exploits, and have no effect on the mod.

Ships will have some anti stike craft weaponry.

Ships are still being added and balanced accordingly.

More re-balancing so that one faction is not overpowered over the other.

The Federation:

Faction is complete. Only structures left

The Klingon Empire

Faction is complete. Only structures left.

The Romulan Star Empire:

Faction is complete. Only structures left

The Dominion:

Faction is complete. Still needs balancing work.

Pirates:

They were going to be the Borg, but that idea failed. So we are looking into Random multirace ship spawns.

Planetary Defenders

Basically "Ships of the week" like the Maquis, Sona, Ferrengi, Tammarian battle cruisers and the like.

Balancing:  Darkshimmer has the Federation, Romulan, and Klingon Empire, and Unified Dominion balanced.

Gameplay: We now have a working Cloaking Device! Check the ModDB page for the WIP video. Cloaking will not be fully implemented in the mod until version 0.04

Art: We are working on an LCARS style UI, adding proper icons, and pictures for all of the new units. The UI is going to take a while to do, because of all of the redundancy of the Sins UI. SoA 2 uses 2 sets of UI textures. Instead of the standard 4 textures for buttons, and 2 textures for icons. SoA 2 uses 8 textures for buttons, and 4 textures for icons which IMO is a major waste of resources, because sins loads all these textures at startup. Unfortunetly i dont see any other way to do it. What is kind of cool is that we dont have to use the same HUD for each faction. It is possible to have unique HUDs, but again the perfomance hit, because of the extra drain on resources could be big, and not worth it.

In Planning: (No promises, or guarentees, but we will try to add these if possible.)

Troop Transport effects.

Planetary invasion animations

Tractor beams. (need a code monkey for this)

Whatever else we can think of and are capable of doing.

Future Updates:

SoA 2 0.04 is now in planning, and will be focused primarily on Proper research trees, Ability's, and adding proper Structures. More than likely demo 0.04 will be the last demo. After that then the full mod should be ready.

SoA 2 0.05 will be the final spit, and polish of the mod. It will focus mainly on re-balancing if needed. Also final artwork changes will be made here. Which will include some ship model re-builds, and re-texturing.

The Full SoA 2 1.0 mod will be released "When it is Finished". We are doing this on our own free time. We aren't getting paid to do this. We have no set schedule. We have no time limit. I want this one to be good. So it wont go online until we feel it is ready.

*NOTE: Much about Sins as we are all now realizing is hardcoded. SoA 2 is going to be far from a perfect "trek" mod due to these hardcoded issues. However we will try to do the best we can with workarounds, and compromises to get it as close as possible. Like i said some things wont be perfect. Some things cannot be done at all. Enjoy the mod for what it is, and try not to be too "nit picky".

SoA2 will be hosted on Mod Database once it is ready http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-sacrifice-of-angels-2

This main header will be updated when i have news to post.

1754 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 27, 2008 6:17:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Major, just an FYI, but over at modcraft.net we have forum space for you if you ever need or want it. Just contact me and I'll get you whatever you need!
January 27, 2008 6:31:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Grrrrr...Makes me angry that no one is creating a stargate mod   
January 27, 2008 6:38:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sweet! We will support you guys any way we can.
January 27, 2008 6:42:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
January 27, 2008 7:04:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Great Job!! ive been looking forward to this mod since you first started talking about it over half a year ago. It looks like youve already got your crew together, but if you need help feel free to ask. Ive had experience moding XML files on GalCiv 2. Ive been a part of the community for the GC2 STMod for years. I have helped with balancing and cannon material suggestions for the official project, and also have done quite a bit of modding on the side myself to satisfy my personal pickyness about cannon and deapth of matrial. My personal oppinion on GC2 is that they just dont have the man power to really do it right. I dont want to see that happen with this game. This game has such a great pottential and id love to see this mod be the BOMB from the begining. as apose to this perpetual beta that GC2 seems to have become. To thier total creadit its an amazingly complex mod and i dont blame them for having a hard time with it. Id just like to see this one done right from the very begining and im willing to put some energy and time to where my words are. At least as far as my studies permit. just let me know if you need help.

Id specifically be interested in helping with ship statistics. As an Astrophysics student im kinda obsessed with the ships in the star trek universe, its what made me choose the major i did. Anyway just let me know if you need help.
January 27, 2008 7:23:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Grrrrr...Makes me angry that no one is creating a stargate mod   

me too
January 28, 2008 12:32:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
All I ask is you put Tholians in...
January 28, 2008 3:51:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
how about the ferengi as pirates like in armada where they stole derelict ships.

also u could balance the borg by giving them less capital ships than the other races, that way u can still have the strong cubes but limit them to like 4 or something so u will have 1 capital ship for each fleet instead of 4 capital ships per fleet like the rest.
January 28, 2008 4:03:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ah, the prospect of being able to research compressed poloron beams as the Dominion and punch through shields makes me positively tingly. Do you know if there's any word on whether cloaking is possible?

StarGate fans, don't rain on our parade. Go recruit some modders - the more the merrier. I suggest googling around for mod groups that already exist and letting them know about Sins and how modable it is. Here's a good place to start: These guys are Germany-based, but they seem to speak English, if the read-me is any indication, and they've already got a bunch of ship models from the looks of things.
January 28, 2008 4:05:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
This is very good news. The Dominion War seems a smart emphasis, it really did have the best space battles of the bunch.

I am more of a Star Wars fan at heart, but after trying hard to like a few too many subpar SW movies and games I find myself appreciating the more consistent style of ST more than I used to.

PS - I know that the idea of "culture spread" as it exists in Sins wouldn't really fit in a ST game, but considering the timeline you pick I think it could be adapted to some kind of infiltration system. It seemed like every major power had their spies and agents running around during the Dominion War, the Sins culture system could possibly be reworked to instead measures how close your covert ops are to securing the allegiance of nearby planets. Just an idea. I know some species (Romulan and Cardassian) would have a field day with lots of noncombat covert ops stuff like that.
January 28, 2008 5:22:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
No Tholians. Might consider Ferengi. However i want to concentrate on the six main factions of the Dominion War first. Those are the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Dominion, Cardassian, and Breen. The first, and foremost priority before all else is to get the ship models built, imported in game, and working. Next will be the weapon graphics, sounds, and FX. Once those main things are done then we can focus on other gameplay aspects like the research trees, culture, and other 4x stuff. With six separate factions it will mean six different research trees. Hopefully the forge tools will simplify this.

Cardies will have Obsidian Order in some form, and the Romulans will have Tal'shiar. Honor, Subterfuge, Influence, Intimidation, Oppression, and Fear, (all the same thing which is culture with a different name) will play a role. The only thing we dont know yet is what methods we will use per faction to represent it. I am not worrying about it right now, because the ship models aren't in game yet. We will work on all this after our basic gameplay aspects which are ship models, specs, sound, and FX are finished.

What i will ask of you guys is to find me some Breen ship designs. Ranging from battleship sized down to civilian ships. I have some of my own, but i want to see more before i commit to building them.
January 28, 2008 6:47:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Romulan lover here!

January 28, 2008 7:07:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I LOVE YOU {not in a gay way} major stress
i am sure you can find some sinners here to join your crew
greetz
January 28, 2008 11:20:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
What we could do is stick with the 3 faction count of the stock game, however combining the Romulans/Klingons as one faction, and the Dominion/Cardassian/Breen as one faction, leaving the Federation alone as one faction.

This way we'll have plenty of ships to choose from for the Federation without losing too many lovable ships, while at the same time using the combined forces system for the rest of the known factions to fill out gaps seeing as ALL of them have very few canon designs. Once the game is released, i'm sure we'll be recruiting additional talent to the mod project as we're gonna have a lot of work ahead of us in the weeks/months to come.
January 28, 2008 11:28:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Romulans/Klingons combined ......

plz no...
January 28, 2008 2:11:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Romulans/Klingons combined ......

plz no...

I was thinking the same thing. It is a scary thought. The Klingons should be with the Federation. The Romulans should be stand alone. Think faction packs. That allows the player to decide which factions to enable in their game.
January 28, 2008 2:56:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
True. The optimal solution is to have the full line-up of ships for all separate factions (total of 6). Problem is finding good looking canon and in some cases non-canon ships to use. In any case, the Dominion/Breen/Cardassians should be combined imho.
January 28, 2008 3:16:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I was originally going to do like the original SoA, and combine the feds rommies and klinks into 1 faction and the dominion races into another. However now that i know we can mod in more factions i would much rather make them all separate.

This will mean using non-canon ships to fill gaps. Especially for the Breen, because they only have just one canon ship. We will have to create the entire faction from scratch based off of that one ship. We will have to get creative is all. I have no issues with non-canon work as long as it doesnt look stupid, and it serves a function. If the Breen turn out to be too much of a challenge i can always omit them, and give their one ship to the dominion.

I have the Federation shiplist filled. Klingons all but a few ships needed. The Romulans are filled. Cardassians can use a few more ships. as with the Dominion.
January 28, 2008 3:43:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Are you doing the full 15 ships per side? Five frigates, five cruisers, and five capital ships for each? Or, for that matter, are you even retaining the three categories? Any interest in posting your ship lists for feedback and suggestions on filling the blanks, or do you not want to hear people bitching and moaning that the Intrepid isn't considered on par with the Galaxy and Sovereign? Can't say I'd blame you for that
January 28, 2008 3:46:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
maybe it would be better to add the Breen to the Dominion or Cardassians?
U can later still make em a seperate race but Federation, Klingons, Romulans and Dominion would be already more than enough so just using the Breen as extra for one race might be the rest.
Especially the Dominion could also need some more canon ships so imo i personally would stick the Breen to the Dominion.
In the same way other little factions could be included.
January 28, 2008 3:49:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Oh, and if you're still looking for some names as an alternative to Sacrifice of Angels II, my suggestion would be Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant. Considering this mod, if fully realized as planned, would let you pit Federation against Klingons or Romulans with no involvement from the Dominion at all, and that the prize for the winner of the Dominion War was the Alpha Quadrant (plus the Dominion forces involved in the war were cut off from the Delta Quadrant anyway), I think it's a better fit, and a grander scale than a reenactment of a single huge battle.
January 28, 2008 4:29:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Cool! I been waiting for nearly two decades to be able to play a kick ass game as the Romulans.

Woohoo!!!!

Vulcans = neutered Romulans
January 28, 2008 4:31:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
A name is in work, but not important right now.

We will try to use all 15 slots per faction.. If we cant then that faction will be balanced accordingly. Nothing says we "have" to use all 15 slots. I want them filled more for a variety of forces.

There will be no combining factions. I want to see Breen fight Cardassians and Dominion in "what if" scenarios. I also want to see Klingons vs romulans, and fed vs klingon fights. Example Dominion turning the alpha quadrant against each other before the war.
January 28, 2008 4:33:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A name is in work, but not important right now.

We will try to use all 15 slots per faction.. If we cant then that faction will be balanced accordingly. Nothing says we "have" to use all 15 slots. I want them filled more for a variety of forces.

There will be no combining factions. I want to see Breen fight Cardassians and Dominion in "what if" scenarios. I also want to see Klingons vs romulans, and fed vs klingon fights. Example Dominion turning the alpha quadrant against each other before the war.

As in... Way of the Warrior
January 28, 2008 4:41:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hmmm.. Interesting. So the mod will be called WoW? Like i said we will come up with a colorful name, but not right now it is not important at the moment.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000640   Page Render Time: