Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] Sins Plus (by Uzii) v1.3a Final

A mod that adds, not alters.

By on February 26, 2008 9:14:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

- Uzii -

Join Date 04/2007
+6
Some of you may have noticed I haven't been around as much as usual, and it is with some regret that I won't be continuing this mod as a stand alone any more. I have many reasons, but it is mainly my short attention span which has brought this on. I have done my best to produce a top quality mod, and to help out as many people as humanly possible. I was here at the very dawn of modding this game, and I would like to think my input has helped progress slightly. I will check the forums occasionally and offer my help where I can. If you have a specific modding problem, give me a PM and I'll try and help you the best I can.

I will be working with DANMAN, who is producing a 'Super Mod' which includes Sins Plus, Bailknights Graphics, Sins Enhanced, and his own team's work. I will continue to give support for Sins Plus, and I will help out others where I can, but no further work will be done on this mod. Please check DANMAN's mod:

7 Deadly Sins
NO SCREENSHOT/LOG = NO RESPONSE
You can find how to get the Log at the bottom of this First Post. To upload a Screenshot, use Imageshack and copy the 'Direct Link To Image' address your are given, and paste it here. Take as many screenshots as you think is necessary, or of any little thing you might think will help. For those of you without common sense, this means if you aren't sure you put it in the right place, take screenshots of where you put it, with the address bar visible. If its a problem in-game, take the screenshot in-game, showing the problem.

For a Multiplayer version of Sins Plus merged with a BailKnights Graphical Mod, see Adama Repack

Description
This mod is adds 11 new Planets and 66 new Planetary Bonuses, as well as Ship Graveyards. Custom research is also included for some of the new planets, and there is the option to colonise Gas Giants, once you have acquired the technology.

README for installation and information is included. As is a document of all the files that have beeen modified (not new files).

If you would like to use the Galaxy Forge with my Planets, check out THIS Link. Big thanks to Animage64 for this.

If you wish to use a German translation of this mod, chec out
THIS link. Big thanks to Cybdevil for this.

Download Links
Version 1.3a - Current
Rapidshare.com
FileFront.com

Version 1.3a Sins 1.04 Patch - Thanks to Uranium - 235
FileFront.com

Custom loading screens for those of you with problems, or those of you who want different loading screens.
Rapidshare.com
Filefront.com

Version 1.2b - Old
Rapidshare.com
Rapidshare.de
Filefront.com

These files are in 7zip format. Basically, this can compress it even more than putting it in a .zip file. You may need this to unzip the .7z file.

The replacement GSD file for those who don't want the Ship Graveyard in 1.03a
Rapidshare.com
Filefront.com

Additional Information
As always I am open to suggestions, constructive criticism, and any new planets, bonuses, or little extras you'd like to see in the game.

Any major or simple modders out there that would like to incorporate my work into their own mod, please, go right ahead. Just send me a PM and give me a mention in the Credits.

Any problems or comments, feel free to post, I will try to get back to you as soon as humanly possible.

11 New Planets / Gas Giants Colonisable / Ship Graveyards

Oceanic
Asteroids: 4 - 6 Crystal
Max Pop:
Max Health:
Max Civilian Slots:
Max Tactical Slots:
Explorable:
Yes

Barren

Asteroids: 4 - 6 Metal
Max Pop:
Max Health:
Max Civilian Slots:
Max Tactical Slots:
Explorable:
Yes

Forest

Asteroids: 1 - 2 Crystal | 1 - 2 Metal
Max Pop: 220
Max Health: 7,000
Max Civilian Slots: 32
Max Tactical Slots: 35
Explorable: Yes

Urban

Asteroids: 1 Crystal | 1 Metal
Max Pop: 1,000
Max Health: 10,000
Max Civilian Slots: 48
Max Tactical Slots: 40
Explorable: No

Gas Giant

Asteroids: 2 - 4 Crystal | 2 - 4 Metal
Max Pop: 60
Max Health: 1,500
Max Civilian Slots: 48
Max Tactical Slots: 40

Toxic
Asteroids: 2 - 4 Crystal (Pure) (more extracted per second)
Max Pop: 40
Max Health: 9,000
Max Civilian Slots: 36

Paradise
Asteroids: None
Max Pop: 120
Max Health: 3,000
Max Civilian Slots: 24
Max Tactical Slots: 10

Industrial
Asteroids: 2 - 4 Metal (Pure) (more extracted per second)
Max Pop: 500
Max Health: 8,000
Max Civilian Slots: 40
Max Tactical Slots: 25

Old Naval Base
Asteroids: None
Max Pop: 100
Max Health: 10,000
Max Civilian Slots: 8
Max Tactical Slots: 54

Savannah
Asteroids: 1 - 2 Crystal | 1 - 2 Metal
Max Pop: 500
Max Health: 6,000
Max Civilian Slots: 24

Swamp
Asteroids: 0 - 2 Crystal | 0 - 2 Metal
Max Pop: 60
Max Health: 7,000
Max Tactical Slots: 30

Relic
Asteroids: 0 - 3 Crystal | 0 - 3 Metal
Max Pop: 220
Max Health: 6,000
<

Ship Graveyard
Random ships will be in these areas, dead in space. They can be captured by the Colony Frigates of all the Races.

4 New Research Subjects

Improved Tunneling (Level 4)
Widespread tunneling with improved equipment increases the population on Barren and Urban planets, as well as Asteroids. (Barren, Urban, and Asteroid population max increase)
Level 1: 10%
Level 2: 20%

Crew Derelict Ship (Level 5)
Allows Colony Frigates to capture derelict vessels found in ship graveyards.

Gas Giant Colonisation (Level 6)
Allows colonisation of Gas Giants.

Improved Anti-Grav (Level 7)
Allows larger colony platforms above Gas Giants due to improved Anti-Grav technology.
(Gas Giant population max increase)
Level 1: 25%
Level 2: 50%

66 New Planetary Bonuses
If you think I am listing them, you are gravely mistaken.

However, in order to enjoy the wider range of Bonuses, I recommend changing the value of the 'planetBonusDensity' on the map you plan to play on. This can be found on the 8th line down of all the .galaxy files by opening them with Notepad, or something similar. These can be found in your main Sins directory at:
C:\Program Files\Stardock\TotalGaming\Sins of a Solar Empire\Galaxy

or to find custom made maps at:
C:\Documents and Settings\**YOUR_USERNAME**\Local Settings\Application Data\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Galaxy

The default value is 0.400000, this means that 40% of Planets will have a Bonus. By changing this to 70%
(0.700000) or more you should notice Bonuses becoming more frequent. Enjoy!

If anyone wants to design a planet texture for either a new planet, or an existing one, please do, and PM me a preview and a link to the file. You will be given full credit if I use it. I recommend copying one of the existing planet textures in the Textures folder, and editing that. Don't forget, the light(_cl) and dark(_da) side both need altering. Good luck.

How to Enable the Debug Logs
Go to where you Mods folder is, but don't open it. There will be other folders, most for Saves, but one for Screenshots, and another called Setting. Open that, then open the file inside named: user.SETTING (open with Notepad). Now search for the line: LogOutput FALSE, and change it to TRUE. When it crashes next, go back to the folder with Saves, Mods, Screenshots, etc, and there should be a new folder called Debug. The log will be in there.

Progress on v1.4

Discontinued....

1334 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 26, 2008 9:24:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
All of the planets look great, and add a great new variety to the game. Thanks.

If you are going to make more planets, then perhaps make gas giants colonizable? Also you could try making more textures of existing planets. I dont know what other planets there are in the universe. You've done them all.
February 26, 2008 9:24:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Marvolous job. Definitley worthed to wait.
February 26, 2008 9:27:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Im sorry, gas giants are colonizable. I didnt realize .
February 26, 2008 9:35:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Looks great. Haven't had time to try it yet though so maybe this is in it....radiated planet. Perhaps by a long ago war. Low pop but has a mining bonus or something.
February 26, 2008 9:35:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Im sorry, gas giants are colonizable. I didnt realize .

Lol, no problem. I think the next update will be more textures for these new 4 and the original planets. I'm thinking of adding more difference between planets in the same category. An example being; Terran worlds, Stormy ones with thick cloud and dark seas, and peaceful ones with minimal cloud and light blue seas, to name some off the top of my head.

Edit: Interesting idea Daehawk, I'll remember that one.
February 26, 2008 9:37:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Quick question:

Will these be selected in random maps, or do we need to create maps with these new planet types?
February 26, 2008 9:41:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Very nice stuff Uzii!
February 26, 2008 9:42:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
They have been included in the categories already in the game, and a randomly generated map should use them. I'm not sure about the Galaxy Forge, but I see no reason why not.

When you create a map with the in-game map maker, the new planets are at the bottom of the list, and they also fall into their relative categories, Colonisable, Random, Random-NoIce, etc...
February 26, 2008 10:17:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thanks much!
February 26, 2008 10:29:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
just a question.

do other players have to have the mod for you to play with them?

otherwise, kicks ass

thanks!
February 26, 2008 11:26:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm really looking forward to playing with this, but I'm a little confused about how to install the mod. Sorry if I'm being stupid, but this is the first mod I've tried out (for this game) and the readme isn't clear.

I've done the first step (where you extract 'Sins Plus' into the mod folder). But then I hit a snag. It says that I should copy 'textures' into the 'Sins Plus' folder into the regular 'Sins of a Solar Empire' folder, not the mod folder, but then, yes into the one in the mod folder.

Then, I'm supposed to extract the 'Textures' folder into the 'Sins Plus' folder. What? It says that I will be replacing some files, but which ones? In what folder? In which directory?

If you're confused, sorry. But, I'm just repeating what I'm getting from the readme file. What am I missing? I apologize if it sounds like I'm whining, but the only reason I'm making such a fuss, is because I'm excited about this mod. It looks really cool.

Thanks for any help. I hope I'm just missing something simple.
February 26, 2008 11:50:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm going to give this a try shortly after I write this post. I'll probably send some feedback tomorrow. This looks good though. I really love the idea of variety in the planets, visuals, and such. I've often considered getting involved in modding too, but haven't quite made the leap here yet.
February 27, 2008 12:09:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Im a bit confused where to put everything as well,
And what i came up with ended looking like this rendering it unplayable...Im guessing I screwed up somewhere(everything is fine untill the mod is loaded)

February 27, 2008 12:55:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Is there any posible way of combining the new settings, planets, ect. with one of the available balancing mods? With only one mod on at a time, it seems a little... lack-luster compared to the balancing mods that give more options, though adding new planets, techs, and planetary bonus' are a very good idea.

I'm just wonder, though I doubt it'd work.
February 27, 2008 1:03:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
The Real Veon:

Assuming I know what I'm talking about, you're supposed to copy the Textures folder from your main Sins directory into the mod's folder, and then extract the Textures folder from the download into the mod folder and overwrite everything that needs overwriting.
Does that make sense?
February 27, 2008 1:11:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
How'd you make gas planets colonizeable? I mean, how is it portrayed?
Orbital stations or something similar? Cities or Domes or whatever would kinda ruin the.. uh.. immersion
February 27, 2008 1:19:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Is there any posible way of combining the new settings, planets, ect. with one of the available balancing mods? With only one mod on at a time, it seems a little... lack-luster compared to the balancing mods that give more options, though adding new planets, techs, and planetary bonus' are a very good idea. I'm just wonder, though I doubt it'd work.

It of course depends on the mod, but yes, it is very possible to combine mods together, it just requires a bit of work on your part or until someone is able to do it for you if they're willing. For instance, my mod works perfectly fine with Uzii's, with only one change needed (to our English.str file).
February 27, 2008 1:31:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thumbs up to uzii, dlin it right now
February 27, 2008 1:43:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
love your planet mods uzii but i cant get this one to work. i followed the instructions to the letter and even redid it a few times and still no go. i really wanna try this. i think it has potential. i dont get any replace files popup when i put the texture files you gave into the texture folder i copied. and all i get in the game over all my buttons is white. if ya know anything that can be done id love to know cause im diein to play this mod.
February 27, 2008 2:04:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
This mod looks like a lot of fun. Just previewed a custom galaxy and the new planets look really nice! You did kind of skimp on the readme though. What makes all these new planets different? The bonuses are explained as you discover each one, but I would appreciate knowing what makes each of the planets unique from the other ones. Thanks.
February 27, 2008 2:35:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
It of course depends on the mod, but yes, it is very possible to combine mods together, it just requires a bit of work on your part or until someone is able to do it for you if they're willing. For instance, my mod works perfectly fine with Uzii's, with only one change needed (to our English.str file).

You are refering to The Mars Effect mod right? I'm using that mod and I love it, and I'd love to combine it with this mod. But since I'm a mod noob, I've no idea what I should change in the English.str file.

Could you tell me what I should change? (Or someone else of course )
February 27, 2008 2:43:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Excellent work. I agree with Fleak, an explanation of what the difference is for each planet would be useful although it would ruin the mystery. Vanilla SOSE, lacks variety in the planet types but You are definitely on the right track and just after launch too . I've had a problem with the exploration of planets (in the terms of upgrades) and I'm not sure how you handled this but Exploring to find out that you have a War Torn Planet is kind of ridiculoud. If this isnt the case, I'm sorry I didn't colonize any of the new planets.

Definitely would like to see varying skins as well. You might find some new planet ideas from here: http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/List_of_planet_types. These are all scientific it seems, so that will make the solar system feel more realistic as well.

Other ideas for planets: Jungle, Swamp, Dune, Dead, Broken (world in pieces, think planet split into 3 giant asteroids), moon. Maybe a installation planet like floating massive space station (size of asteroid) that was crated from space debris. etc etc.

February 27, 2008 3:08:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ahh ignore my first post i misread the installation directions and it is now working Very nice mod btw
February 27, 2008 3:32:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I was playing earleir tonight I had researched ocean colinization but was not able
to colinize it because it said I didnt research it but the box showed it was done
researching? any Idea what Might be wrong? by the way I love the new planets hope to see more soon to quote Nathanenglish "Jungle, Swamp, Dune, Dead, Broken (world in pieces, think planet split into 3 giant asteroids), moon" would be a great addition.
February 27, 2008 3:45:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Very interesting. Especially the new planettypes.

Could you perhaps include instructions in the mod how to use just those new planets?
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002204   Page Render Time: