Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins tops February retail sales charts!

By on March 16, 2008 9:33:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1117

Despite that most sales of Sins of a Solar Empire thus far have been through TotalGaming.net (direct digital download), Sins topped the charts last month at retail for PC games.

Here are the stats courtesy of NPD:

February 2008

1. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  2. Sins Of A Solar Empire
  3. World Of Warcraft: Battle Chest
  4. The Sims 2 Free Time Expansion Pack
  5. World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack
  6. World Of Warcraft
  7. The Orange Box
  8. The Sims 2 Deluxe
  9. The Sims: Castaway Stories
  10. Crysis

Sins of a Solar Empire was released in February. No CD/DVD copy protection included.  One other note, NPD doesn't include sales at Walmart where a significant percentage of the sales of Sins of a Solar Empire occurred. Unofficial tallies we've received internally put Sins at #1.

Thank you so much for your support!

We hope over the coming weeks and months we are able to keep the game fun and interesting for you as we continue to provide free updates based on your feedback! Free updates is our version of "copy protection".

16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 16, 2008 10:29:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Mucho congrats! You guys definitely deserve it!
March 16, 2008 10:38:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
im glad to see it,congrats!!you deserve it!
March 16, 2008 11:43:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Congrats guys!
About the free updates as "copy protection"....brilliant method but I think you guys should try to perfect it. Right now anybody can go onto fileshack and download patch 1.03. I thought it was supposed to be for people with a valid CD key only?
March 17, 2008 12:54:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Really like the game, good to see Stardock doing well. Looking forward to more great Stardock releases. You guys are quickly becoming my #1 game connection. SDC/Impulse is great, very convenient.
March 17, 2008 12:58:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Congrats. =]

On a sad note it's sad to see those other games on the top 10. Not much choice in PC games this year and last..

Same games that've been there for like the past few months pretty much too.
March 17, 2008 5:21:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Congrats! I came upon Stardock via GalCiv II, and the whole incident with Starforce. I loved GalCiv II and am loving Sins even more! Well done indeed.
March 17, 2008 8:15:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Bought my copy at Target. Maybe that counted   
March 17, 2008 10:45:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ok, so it's #2 BUT:
1- Digital sales not included.
2- Walmart not included.
3- Only available in North America at the moment.
4- Not much advertising/hype compared to other games.
5- New and unheard of game developer.

AND no copy protection...

I do believe this ends the debate that piracy is the biggest problem facing PC gaming.

About time to flush the toilet of the PC gaming world and get rid of a few names and that funky smell.
March 18, 2008 5:04:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hear, hear!
March 25, 2008 7:34:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ok, so it's #2 BUT:1- Digital sales not included.2- Walmart not included.3- Only available in North America at the moment. 4- Not much advertising/hype compared to other games.5- New and unheard of game developer. AND no copy protection...I do believe this ends the debate that piracy is the biggest problem facing PC gaming. About time to flush the toilet of the PC gaming world and get rid of a few names and that funky smell.

/signed

April 23, 2008 12:50:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ok, so it's #2 BUT:1- Digital sales not included.2- Walmart not included.3- Only available in North America at the moment. 4- Not much advertising/hype compared to other games.5- New and unheard of game developer. AND no copy protection...I do believe this ends the debate that piracy is the biggest problem facing PC gaming. About time to flush the toilet of the PC gaming world and get rid of a few names and that funky smell.

Completely agree , if a game is good it will sell and those that pirate and NEVER buy would never have bought anyway and regardless so there is 0 loss there. I bought this game because it was good and also respect the company for not treating their end users like criminals , imposing protection schemes that dont work. Some of the industry cant grasp the concept highlighted about good games sell regardless and their alterior motive is all to do with monopolising and forcing things on the consumer. Games like sins and gciv 2 havent done this and are deservadly getting great support from their respective communities. Not sure how true this is but I read that a mod on another game got into trouble for posting some dodgy download link to a game and took some flak for it but the way I see it he/she was just proving a point that the game is good enough that people would buy and you know what, they are correct.

/signed
May 7, 2008 8:33:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I first heard of stardock after buying Galactic Civ 2 and so far I am a big fan. Having no copy protection was vary nice and convenient being able to not have the CD in the drive all the time. And being able to download it like Steam anytime I wanted to reinstall it.

I have tried Sins via rapidshare download but have since uninstalled it. It was an amasing game guys and I will be picking it up very soon. Games of this quality are worth every cent. Getting hassle free patch downloads are definently worth it.
February 3, 2011 1:24:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Sins tops February retail sales charts are really helpful for the readers. Everyone who gets through this page could get an idea about the sales charts. The chart is somewhat shocking, I think. No one expects such a sales chart from Sins. The chart gives the range of Sins.

February 3, 2011 2:00:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting taracall,
The Sins tops February retail sales charts are really helpful for the readers. Everyone who gets through this page could get an idea about the sales charts. The chart is somewhat shocking, I think. No one expects such a sales chart from Sins. The chart gives the range of Sins.

I'm glad you are happy with the info but uh, did you check the date of the previous post. May 7 2008....Better late than, ah nevermind....

February 3, 2011 2:02:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

it's an odd spam, without any spammy links! He just posted a couple other nonsense like this in some other old threads...

February 3, 2011 2:38:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's too bad Sins isn't still topping the sales charts in Feb 2011.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001031   Page Render Time: