Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Why Demigod matters to Sinnners

A unified match making system and more

By on April 7, 2008 5:03:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1098

Today Stardock and Gas Powered Games announced their partnership to develop and publish the much anticipated PC strategy/RPG game Demigod. Demigod is going to be a milestone PC game for a lot of reasons that will be made clear in the coming months.

So why should players of Sins of a Solar Empire care?  For one thing, it means that a sophisticated ladder, match making, account system will become a reality in the near future.  You see, Stardock, Ironclad, and Gas Powered Games are doing something that, to my knowledge, has never been done before. We three are combining our experiences and talents to build a unified multiplayer architecture.

That means your Sins of a Solar Empire achievements will become part of your account. Your wins, losses, and ranking (for those who choose to play ranked games) will be part of your account. You'll be able to find available games in Sins, Demigod, or The Political Machine (for starters) right from Impulse.  You'll be able to have a unified friends list, unified clan support, and much more that is supported by 3 games immediately and designed by 3 companies with a great deal of experience in this area.

Stay tuned, this is all going to happen a lot quicker than one might expect. 

72 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 7, 2008 5:09:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ahem, keep posting at this pace Brad and I'm never going to get any work done...hehe

Keep em coming!
April 7, 2008 5:17:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
So am I correct in assuming that this Demigod is yet another game specifically targetted and made for multiplayer? That's the impression I get with this whole "team based action" line appearing multiple times... It does say Human or Computer AI, but as we've seen, computer AI is always lacking... Which is a real shame since I detest multiplayer...
April 7, 2008 5:27:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wizaerd: Demigod will have single player as well. We're not forgetting single player.

I should also mention that a lot of time has been put into hardware requirements.  The figure I got from GPG is that it is (and this is a quote) "10X faster than Supreme Commander".

April 7, 2008 5:37:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
OMFG!

Have you just made my day or what...

In fact i cant beleive what am i reading yet...

Hold on...

1st of April - NOT!

So it must be all true!

Thanks guys!

Yes please!

Keep it up!

eeeeeeeeeee
April 7, 2008 5:41:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Many things seem to be brewing. Your interview that was posted in another thread was a very good read and gave a nice look at what you have in store
April 7, 2008 5:41:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
This situation is a most fantastic turn of events for the SD/IC community to be sure. I wish some of the other community members could see the bigger picture here. Nonetheless I look forward to participating in the evolution of this bleeding-edge digital gamer community.
April 7, 2008 5:43:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
OMG this is insane. 3 companies working together for the common good of the industry!?!!?! The apocalypse has to be tomorrow or something, this just isn't possible! *dies because of his joygasim.*
April 7, 2008 5:46:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hooooooooooooooooooooooray.
April 7, 2008 5:48:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
The single player will not have a campaign from what i understand of the 1up.com article.

They say:
There's a single-player mode, too, though Gas Powered Games says it will serve mainly as a "training ground" for the multiplayer.

I can sorta understand why they dont do campaigns as it requires alot more resources to make it good. But i still fear this is going the wrong way for those of us that loves single player storys rather then multiplayer.

Hey im not saying the game will be bad at all. I believe it will have an awesome gameplay, but will be lacking some sort of story.

Well anyway im gonna pre-order ASAP since its from stardock and will be doing my "usual" stuff
April 7, 2008 5:52:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Here's hoping a precedent is set in the industry to NOT use DRM in games. Congrats!
April 7, 2008 5:54:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The single player will not have a campaign from what i understand of the 1up.com article.They say:There's a single-player mode, too, though Gas Powered Games says it will serve mainly as a "training ground" for the multiplayer.I can sorta understand why they dont do campaigns as it requires alot more resources to make it good. But i still fear this is going the wrong way for those of us that loves single player storys rather then multiplayer.Hey im not saying the game will be bad at all. I believe it will have an awesome gameplay, but will be lacking some sort of story.Well anyway im gonna pre-order ASAP since its from stardock and will be doing my "usual" stuff

That was prior to our involvement. We're discussing a lot of things.

April 7, 2008 5:59:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Only one step away from nirvana and total perfection...

Mac support!

Once you reach that step ill consider you as divine
April 7, 2008 6:02:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
no don't get me wrong i think its great, but its also not totally unique xbox live being a prime example, that said i cant wait.
April 7, 2008 6:04:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Frogboy is right. Congrats Brad. It's a great day for life long gamers like myself.

A literal grass-roots driven publisher (Stardock) is able to stand up and succeed against the Goliaths of the industry. Not only doing that, but at the same time applying a new business model, one that goes against everything that the industry is doing (DRM) and is pro-user, pro-customer.

GPG and a big name Developer like Chris Taylor obviously sees much benefit in Stardocks method of doing business (Galciv2, Sins model) and, who knows, maybe it also gives the developers a much freer developing environment, they get to create their kind of game, not the game the publisher tells them to make. (I'd love to know more about that part, how the developers find working with Stardock vs. a big wig behemoth)
April 7, 2008 6:05:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
That was prior to our involvement. We're discussing a lot of things.

sounds awesome

as i said on the demigod forum, i for some reason already miss Blair and Craig
April 7, 2008 6:11:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Frogboy is helping me find out wether the number of nerdgasms per day I'm allowed to have is limited or not.
April 7, 2008 6:26:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
This troubles my little heart.

I used to be a big fan of Gas Powered Games and had a prolonged love affair with Supreme Commander last year (which was released at about the same time as Sins of a Solar Empire, but a year earlier). But GPG's support really disappointed me, within 6 months of the game's release they were pointing towards Forged Alliance when asked if they were to fix the game's economy system or if there would be improvements and patches basically ground to a halt.

It was just so sad that they were willing to abandon the game and the people who supported them so quickly. I understand developer's need for more revenue, and expansions do that, and I actually support them (and even, to some extent, booster packs and the like, whatever keeps the company going). But I think first thing is first, get all of the things that need fixing with the product currently on the market, keep it up to speed, and leave extra content for expansions.

Forged Alliance is good from all I've heard, and improves much that just didn't work in the original, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase from them again. I don't trust them to stand behind the products long.

I hope Ironclad doesn't take this route and keeps supporting both Sins of a Solar Empire and any future expansions they have in the works for at least a reasonable period of time before moving on. So long as they do, I think they deserve everyone's support.
April 7, 2008 6:35:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
So how does this affect the updates for sins?
April 7, 2008 6:37:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sounds great
You could also try to get some old games on SDC / Impulse. There are quite a few games that I'd consider buying if they are available DRM-free and with no CD-hassle.
As for Demigod: I really enjoy playing DotA (the war3 map Demigod is based on) but I doubt that Demigod can really enhance that experience. DotA is great and it's free (well, for those that own war3).

Games I'd LOVE to see on SDC / Impulse and that I'd probably instantly buy:
Dawn of War (maybe DoW 2 which was recently announced?)
Supreme Commander
Darwinia (ok wouldn't buy it since I own that one already)
Universe at War (getting rid of the Windows live multiplayer and replacing it with something real - that would be so awesome)
April 7, 2008 6:38:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Revolutionary team-based action game that includes RTS, action RPG and fighting game elements

If it involves RTS then MAGOG will be there. Good luck.

Chris Taylor is a genius, by the way.

April 7, 2008 6:39:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
What about Total Annihilation?

Is there a thead for Impulse requests somewhere?
April 7, 2008 6:52:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Last I read, Atari had the rights to Total Annihilation (both Cavedog and GT Interactive no longer exist, after all). They don't seem to be actually doing anything with the rights though, from all I've heard.

A shame, it was such a gem, with probably the best expansion to any game I've ever played.
April 7, 2008 7:44:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You see, Stardock, Ironclad, and Gas Powered Games are doing something that, to my knowledge, has never been done before. We three are combining our experiences and talents to build a unified multiplayer architecture.

I understand that its three separate companies doing this, but please, battle.net did this a long time ago. They may not have had clan support but how useful will that be when a simple clan tag in your name will suffice already?

Not to say this partnership doesn't excite the hell out of me, Supreme Commander and Sins are both high on my list of respected game titles.

So how does this affect the updates for sins?

Heh, I was thinking precisely that when I saw the 'big announcement' on the front page.
April 7, 2008 8:04:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Demigod is going to be a milestone PC game for a lot of reasons that will be made clear in the coming months.

But I want the reasons now!!
April 7, 2008 8:48:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Well, not as earth shattering as was hyped but intriguing nonetheless. Demigod looks very interesting so far, and Impulse, well, given previous Stardock products it's bound to be the most user friendly service of its kind, albeit not the most original one.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001094   Page Render Time: