Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Sins of a Solar Empire v1.04 planned for this week

We're getting close

By on April 7, 2008 11:33:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1120

While we're not making any promises, we plan to have Sins of a Solar Empire v1.04 ready this week.  v1.04 is the first serious attempt to user-requested game balancing. 

We've gotten a lot of feedback in the past few weeks with some great ideas on tweaks to each of the different sides to make the game more enjoyable to players.  Obviously a lot of time has had to be spent play testing (and yes, we get paid to do this, so there, mom!) these changes to make sure the result truly is a more satisfactory experience.

Often times, what seems balanced (or unbalanced) on paper does not work out quite that way on-line. There are a lot of factors that just have to be played to be seen.  Moreover, a player's skill level along with strategy can completely alter one's perspective on balancing which has been both a challenge and quite enjoyable to observe. 

Both Stardock and Ironclad play multiplayer games pretty regularly (we don't usually advertise who we are) and it's really quite refreshing seeing new strategies being developed over time that we never would have considered.  This is one of the reasons why updates such as v1.04 will continue to be needed -- as players come up with new, innovative strategies, we will have to continue to update the game to ensure that no single strategy becomes too dominant -- this is what you pay us for, after all.

If all goes well, we hope to arrange a game night with the entire community.

67 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 7, 2008 11:41:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
wohoo!
April 7, 2008 11:50:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I love you guys!
April 8, 2008 12:15:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
cool, you are the best    I just love how you try to make the game as userfriendly as possible and listen to our feedback, which other companies mostly ignore. Cant Wait!!
When will patch 1.1 come out??   
April 8, 2008 12:19:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
We should start a DEVs fan club!
April 8, 2008 12:30:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
This leads me to the question, just how many "newbs" on ICO are SD/IC employees?

April 8, 2008 12:36:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This leads me to the question, just how many "newbs" on ICO are SD/IC employees?

If you lose to someone on ICO, it was probably me. as long as they were a good sport too.

v1.1 is something people are going to really love I think because of the new network system that should basically eliminate the pain. We may have to do a bit of public beta testing because it's a complete re-design.

April 8, 2008 12:39:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Any idea when the modding stuff will be done? We (the modders) are eagerly awaiting them to complete and further develop our mods.

DANMAN
April 8, 2008 12:53:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Im down for the game night
April 8, 2008 12:59:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Have to ask (yet again) have the MP crash issues been addressed? And not just the nvidia one.

I got one contact email form ironclad and they seemed to agree looking at my minidump they saw it was a desync. (No, it wasn't caused by mods)

So my question is - has the desync MP crash/minidump been addressed?
April 8, 2008 1:16:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you lose to someone on ICO, it was probably me. as long as they were a good sport too.
v1.1 is something people are going to really love I think because of the new network system that should basically eliminate the pain. We may have to do a bit of public beta testing because it's a complete re-design.

I just care about the new high resolution graphics   make shure to make them super high realistic. Im glad I have a PC that can handle high graphics
April 8, 2008 1:19:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I am pretty bummed by this new upcoming patch. I had hoped the the multiplayer connection issue would be resolved in 1.04. Some of you have apparently figured out the workaround, but for most of us it is totally Greek. I have read several of the instructions--ridiculous. Every other game for the last 10 years have figured out multi-player connections---why can't this team?
April 8, 2008 1:25:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I sure hope you guys are gonna school Sid Meier and chuck a neat looking clock integrated into the interface. I know I could just check the time on a mundane 'meat' clock somewhere on my desk. But that isn't the point. I think it harms the immersive experience to 'break' with the screen area to look elsewhere in the room. That isn't why I have a 30-inch display. I think that an optional clock mounted halfway accross the top of the screen would do nicely. It can't be that hard, I'm still in awe that graphics have surpassed Super Mario Brothers 3 (in places). Thanks!
April 8, 2008 1:47:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thanks!!!
April 8, 2008 2:12:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
game developers getting involved?

Delicious.
April 8, 2008 2:21:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
PaladinSmith you must realise that today's multiplayer systems (particularly with strategy games) are peer-to-peer based. These sorts of systems bring a whole host of advantages over old server-based systems.

Its just up to some users to make sure their connections are properly configured (which is important to learn anyway for any real serious internet business you participate in).
April 8, 2008 2:23:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Will 1.03 saved games work with 1.04?....
April 8, 2008 2:25:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I must say guys, after patch 1.03 I stopped playing and moved on to other games. But as soon as patch 1.04 comes out, I'll be hooked once more!!!
April 8, 2008 2:36:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Will 1.03 saved games work with 1.04?....

Usually the case is: no. This has been true since basically the first public beta. Also weird things tend to happen when you play a older version saved game...like I found out in Beta 3.
April 8, 2008 2:46:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Wow, good news.

So have there been significant changes since the 1.04 preview was given a couple weeks ago? Or have they just been tweaks to the notes given?

I'm excited about this patch, though. Hoping there are other changes to the LRMs besides some minor speed ones mentioned that they are no longer the god-kings of the early and mid-game, but I guess we'll have to wait a couple days and see.

Also, one step closer to 1.1...
April 8, 2008 2:48:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I am pretty bummed by this new upcoming patch. I had hoped the the multiplayer connection issue would be resolved in 1.04. Some of you have apparently figured out the workaround, but for most of us it is totally Greek. I have read several of the instructions--ridiculous. Every other game for the last 10 years have figured out multi-player connections---why can't this team?

@ PaladinSmith

There is no "work-a-round" , just the way it needs to be done. There are many reasons (many of which have been brought up and discussed on these forums by myself and others) why the netcode is the way it is right now (I don't feel like wasting my breath for the 100th time explaining it all again). Suffice it to say that having netcode "tunneling" through/past routers/firewalls may be your idea of fun because "dammit it just works", however some of us here are a tad more concerned about what travels where on our networks (and are very glad that the "new netcode" will be optional).

On Feb 14th 2008 I published my SINS-specific guide "Networking and SINS" (I had already been helping people via my TS Server since release-day) and anyone (with the exception of those at university dorms, who will be helped with the optional netcode for v1.1) who is willing/able to read and follow instructions is able to "host". I can only write it down for you PaladinSmith, I can't read it for you!

Comparing games to one another from a network transport perspective is pointless and not a valid comparison to begin with. Even if games used the SAME exact port number they may be using a different transport protocol and using said in a very different manner than some "other" game. I have hosted and played (when I've had the time) this wonderful game since release-day (I even prepped the community with some basic networking knowledge a few weeks prior to release-day) and haven't had one single network-related issue. Certainly not something that can be said for some of the "other" games I've had the misfortune of playing in the last several years. Everyone who plays with me (regularly) is configured correctly, doesn't lag, doesn't drop and has a general good time!

You could always choose be one of those.   

....now back on topic! 1.04....yay!   

April 8, 2008 2:51:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I love it, love it, love it, music to my cpu.... Change what you will. I think Im smart enough to develop a winning strategy. Can't wait to see a real life Babylon 5 mod. That......well that would be heaven. And if your new and need some assistance give a shout. Or pm me hehe.
April 8, 2008 3:10:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm hoping before we have this game day we get the problem with the login corrected as so those of us that are unable to log in will be able to. I have been woking with someone from support to get it resolved but to no luck I'm still unable to log in.
I have a friend that was logged in and I was on Ventrilo with him I asked him to add my name to see if I was online and there I was logged it. I had 999 latency he said but I was there.

Other then that I'm happy. Just tired of the 10 computer players wooping butt all the time but Hay if its not them its the pirates ....

Great Game and look forward to More Updates/Mods and expansions
April 8, 2008 3:54:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Complete NoOb here, but very happy to read about the on-going development for this already excellent title!

(In such a good mood after gaining my first win vs A.I. so i just had to pipe up! LOL.)

Bring it on!!
April 8, 2008 5:18:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
awesome!
April 8, 2008 6:48:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Moreover, a player's skill level along with strategy can completely alter one's perspective on balancing which has been both a challenge and quite enjoyable to observe.
It is AMAZING how much difficulty this adds to balancing. Glad that IronClad recognizes this so clearly.

-- Retro
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001438   Page Render Time: