Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins of a Solar Empire v1.04 Final Change Log

By on April 9, 2008 5:20:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yarlen

Join Date 01/2005
+184

As we get ready to release version 1.04, we figured it was time to post an updated change log.

Please note that save games and replays from v1.03 and earlier will not work with v1.04!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gameplay / Balance:
-Market value changes:
 -Ratio of buy/sell is now 2:1 instead of 3:1.
 -Min price now 200 instead of 80.
 -Boom/crashes now last ~twice as long.

-Multiple instances of the Embargo planet debuff from the same player no longer stack.

-Capital ships
 -All non-Colony capital ship top speeds increased from 500 to 525.
 -All Colony capital ship top speeds increased from 400 to 475.

-Siege Frigates:
 -Build costs decreased by ~15%.

-Javelis, Illuminator, Assailant:
 -Linear acceleration decreased from 200 to 150.
 -Top speed decreased from 800 to 500.
 -Range decreased from 130% to 115% of 1.02 ranges.

-Illuminator:
 -Hull points increased from 520 to 620.
 -Shield points increased from 450 to 550.
 -Attack type changed from CAPITALSHIP to ANTIMEDIUM.
 -Front bank damage increased from 33.8 to 58.5.
 -Side banks damage decreased from 33.8 to 30.3.

-Defense Vessel:
 -Reduced cooldown by 45%, damage reduced proportionally to maintain DPS.
 -Fleet supply increased from 3 to 4.
 -Now properly benefits from Advent laser research topics.

-Attack types
 -AntiVeryLight chance to hit bombers decreased from 85% to 75%.
 -AntiVeryLight damage vs Light armor decreased from 100% to 75%.

-Carriers
 -Slight cost reductions for all carrier cruisers

-Returning Armada and General Fleet Spawning
 -No longer possible to spawn ships past fleet point limit.
 -Ship slot count updated after each spawn to prevent RA exploit (clicking multiple abilities at same time).
 -Increased level 1 RA cooldown by 120 secs and level 2 RA cooldown by 60 secs

-Map Balance of Power fixed to have less Heavies and populated desert worlds.

-Stilakus Subverter's Distortion Field ability will no longer cause it to micro phase jump towards targets travelling to other planets.
-Fix for problem where after playing Sins for 100000 seconds (27.7 hours) damage and various other systems wouldn't update correctly.
-Fix for strike craft squads being able to launch when they should be grounded.
-Phasic Barrier now toggles off more consistently when it's 'autocast off' conditions are satisfied.

AI:
-Fixed minor bug in Unfair AI not behaving quite correctly.
-Fix bug where AI would retreat from his homeworld or last planet.
-AI is less likely to gang up on the leading player in Easy or Normal.
-Autocast logic for hull point restoring abilities no longer consider structures under construction as damaged.
-Fix for ships not auto-attacking after breaking alliances.
-Fix for AI difficulty settings not behaving correctly.
-Misc tweaks.

Networking / Multiplayer:
-Fixed minor bug in ico-join game screen where fleet size display was incorrect.
-Improved in-game chat text entry:
 -Escape no longer clears the chat buffer when closing the window.
 -Sending whispers is remembered (don't have to retype the whisper when sending again).
 -Sending to allies is remembered (don't have to retype /a when sending again).
-Chat string and colors changed.
-Fixed bug where joining a multiplayer game in a slot that was previously held by an AI player would have the AI still be enabled when you started the game.
-When a human player drops and an AI replaces him, the AI now has his happiness set to the required amount for existing alliances so he doesn't drop them all instantly.

UserInterface / HUD:
-Fix map names for Backstab and Balance of power.
-Fixed bug where fleet pip clouds would not show up when loading a saved game.
-Fixed string label for IDS_COHESIONRANGE_FAR_NAME and IDS_COHESIONRANGE_FAR_DESCRIPTION.
-Changed artifacts researched stat to be "artifact discoveries"
-Tweaked some ability descriptions to improve their clarity.
-'Unit under attack' events are now suppressed for trade and refinery ships.

Modding:
-Entity name lookup is now case insensitve.
-New options to enable error messages. This can be turned on by modders in the user.setting file to simplify tracking down errors instead of mysteriously crashing.
-Fix num particles in the user.setting file not actually increasing and added user control over the number of particle simulations since this is another main limiter for those with uber computers who want to push things.

Misc:
-Fix for saved games not respecting custom game options.

119 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 9, 2008 5:43:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
These changes to Illuminators now sound like they'll actually make them comparable to the other LRMS, maybe even the best(they are tech3 and the most costly, why shouldn't they be the best?)
/edit Crap. I thought you made the side beams do 30.3 while keeping the front beam at the 65 proposed earlier.
Yeah nevermind.. I guess I'll see ingame. Surely javs will be better.

I don't think the RA changes are the right ones, but I guess are okay temporarily.
The problem with RA is that your eco and all your other teching doesn't matter, only your ability to just get RA and phase stabs.
It should scale based on your income or something so it's not as good early game, and so that it's BETTER late game.
April 9, 2008 5:45:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
sounds awesome . Great work guys!
April 9, 2008 5:59:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Carrier Cruiser cost reduction is great but really fighters and bombers just need better survivability and faster building/lower AM cost.

And of course the Market fix is great but i don't understand why just that change couldn't of been made 3 weeks ago, it's just an entity file change that takes 2 minutes.. but ah well..

And the lrms thing, the big issue.. them not being able to chase caps planet to planet is nice, but the problem is that caps still won't be able to fight if the enemy has more than 30 LRMS.
What would be so bad about lower AntiMedium damage Vs. CAPITAL to 50%(from 75%) and lower their damage to buildings 25%? :/ That's what they need the most.
April 9, 2008 6:14:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Superb job, guys

Really well done!

Also, innociv, carriers now have a better chance of countering LRMs, as they should. Flak will miss 25% of the time against fighters. We'll see in game whether carriers can effectively stop lrm rushes, but it appears that Ironclad is moving in this direction.

Remember, there's multiple ways to balance. There's incremental balance, and then there's overcompensation balance. Incremental balance is when you know something is too strong and you slowly nerf it/buff other things. This is the least jarring on gameplay. Overcompensation balance is when you nerf the hell out of something that's too strong and then slowly buff it back into usability again. This really hurts gameplay.

Overcompensation balancing is good when beta testing. However, when the game's live and people actually are PLAYING the game and not testing it, I believe that incremental balancing is better.

Again, good job, guys.
April 9, 2008 6:31:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thanks for the update guys. The changes sound great. The only thing I don't see is the minidump problem that so many of us (myself included) are having online. This is a fairly large problem because it seems to affect about 1/3 of all games now.

Once again, thank you for the update. The changes look great to me.
April 9, 2008 6:39:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Given how strikecraft are tougher versus flak (lower hit %), flak does less damage against LRM (thus less flak around since its less useful!), and carriers are cheaper... Hurray guys, good job buffing the carriers They needed it. I just hope its enough for me to use them, hehe...If not, maybe in 1.1 .
April 9, 2008 6:47:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
looks good, can't wait to see how it plays out. now release it so i can go back to large maps

KP
April 9, 2008 6:53:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The only thing I don't see is the minidump problem that so many of us (myself included) are having online. This is a fairly large problem because it seems to affect about 1/3 of all games now.

I addressed this here: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/307544

April 9, 2008 6:56:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm going to hold my final judgment until after I play 1.04. But it doesn't seem to change the fact that Advent gets annihilated in the first 20mins. Since defense vessel is nerfed and anti light units no longer do 100% dmg to light units. I don't see how its possible for advent to survive a cobalt and lrm. Its actually going to be worse than it was in 1.03.

You guys say you were doing testing, not sure if I believe that. Its either that you guys aren't playing the same game or you were only testing TEC and Vasari, because we all know advent doesn't exist. Or at least shouldn't.

Good Job on nerfing, defense vessel which was the only decent counter to LRMS. And a even better job at finally giving advent a anti medium unit! Unfortunately it doesn't matter since its a tier 3 unit. A tier 3 unit that is suppose to counter a default unit! Genius! Tell me how as a advent player am I suppose to survive a cobalt+lrm rush while maintaining resources to get to tier 3 and then resources to pump out illums. You can't! GG
April 9, 2008 7:02:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Superb job, guys Really well done!Also, innociv, carriers now have a better chance of countering LRMs, as they should. Flak will miss 25% of the time against fighters.

Sorry but... No.

I'm tired of justifying people saying this with a response to.
I almost think I should have some document with the math for all these showing how just a few flaks(say 4-10) will kill many squads of fighters within seconds each. But no, I shouldn't, you people should be able to figure this out yourselves instead of saying random things without anything to back it up. If I can do it, and test it ingame, then so can you. Oprah calls that empowerment.

Seconds as in 20 seconds? No, seconds as in like 1-3 seconds per squadran.

Question: What's 1-3seconds*1.25?
Answere: STILL NOT VERY MUCH.

Not to say it isn't an improvement(If it was to fighters, which it's not. It's to BOMBERS) ..but it's FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR from being enough.
Oh, not to mention you're wrong. This change only makes them hit BOMBERS less, not FIGHTERS. How many times do I have to say this? Apparently 10 wasn't enough in the last thread to all the people saying fighters are going to be better now because flak will hit less. Nope, flak still does the same to fighters.

They need at least 50% more hp.. double is more like it. :/ Same for Bombers.
April 9, 2008 7:08:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm going to hold my final judgment until after I play 1.04. But it doesn't seem to change the fact that Advent gets annihilated in the first 20mins. Since defense vessel is nerfed and anti light units no longer do 100% dmg to light units. I don't see how its possible for advent to survive a cobalt and lrm. Its actually going to be worse than it was in 1.03.

You guys say you were doing testing, not sure if I believe that. Its either that you guys aren't playing the same game or you were only testing TEC and Vasari, because we all know advent doesn't exist. Or at least shouldn't.

Good Job on nerfing, defense vessel which was the only decent counter to LRMS. And a even better job at finally giving advent a anti medium unit! Unfortunately it doesn't matter since its a tier 3 unit. A tier 3 unit that is suppose to counter a default unit! Genius! Tell me how as a advent player am I suppose to survive a cobalt+lrm rush while maintaining resources to get to tier 3 and then resources to pump out illums. You can't! GG

You don't know how to play, a good strategist don't care about the equipment he has.
Patch sounds awesome, can't wait tomorrow
April 9, 2008 7:15:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
don't know how to play, a good strategist don't care about the equipment he has.Patch sounds awesome, can't wait tomorrow

This is idiotic, to be a good strategist your skills or in this case units need to be effective. Ever play Guild Wars? Thats a game where you can form strategies since there is a counter to every skill in the game. What you are saying to me is basically, I don't know how to play because advent doesn't have anyway to counter a TEC or Vasari rush. How can I make a strategy when there is nothing to work with that can be remotely effective?

I suggest you go online, play advent against a competent TEC or Vasari player. And then come back to me and say something, instead of making a silly remark such as this.

April 9, 2008 7:18:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
He's actually somewhat right..
April 9, 2008 7:21:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sorry but... No.

I'm tired of justifying people saying this with a response to.
I almost think I should have some document with the math for all these showing how just a few flaks(say 4-10) will kill many squads of fighters within seconds each. But no, I shouldn't, you people should be able to figure this out yourselves instead of saying random things without anything to back it up. If I can do it, and test it ingame, then so can you. Oprah calls that empowerment.

Seconds as in 20 seconds? No, seconds as in like 1-3 seconds per squadran.

Question: What's 1-3seconds*1.25?
Answere: STILL NOT VERY MUCH.

They need at least 50% more hp.. double is more like it. :/

Did you even read what I said before you barfed that hyperbole out? They're doing INCREMENTAL changes. IE. they will gradually tone down LRMs and gradually boost carriers' usefulness.

We all know you think you have all the answers to balance. We all know you want Advent to be boosted to OP'ness. The fact is, IronClad is doing a good job and I will continue to applaud them for it. Advent now has lrms so all races can effectively (or at least theoretically) fight on equal terms.

Edit: you're right about the bombers - I misread that as chance to hit very light. However, that means that they now have a less chance to hit bombers and they deal less damage to them as well. This seems like a step in the right direction regarding balance to me.
April 9, 2008 7:34:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You don't know how to play, a good strategist don't care about the equipment he has.
Patch sounds awesome, can't wait tomorrow

That's true in the REAL WORLD because a good strategist has infinately more strategic options. Many wars in history were won by guile. However, this game doesn't even approach the complexity of the real world. Your statement is like saying you can win a game of Chess with nothing but a king if you're a good enough strategist. In a game, the rules and bounds for what's possible are clearly defined. Real world just follows the laws of science and after that, anything goes.
April 9, 2008 7:37:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Did you even read what I said before you barfed that hyperbole out? They're doing INCREMENTAL changes. IE. they will gradually tone down LRMs and gradually boost carriers' usefulness. We all know you think you have all the answers to balance. We all know you want Advent to be boosted to OP'ness. The fact is, IronClad is doing a good job and I will continue to applaud them for it.Edit: you're right about the bombers - I misread that as chance to hit very light

SO SAY WE ALL!

April 9, 2008 7:44:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Oprah is an Insane Chaos Cultist anyway.
April 9, 2008 7:57:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Did you even read what I said before you barfed that hyperbole out?

Yes I did, babycakes.

*clears throat*
Also, innociv, carriers now have a better chance of countering LRMs, as they should. Flak will miss 25% of the time against fighters.

Here let me rub in the point a little more.
Also, innociv, carriers now have a better chance of countering LRMs, as they should. Flak will miss 25% of the time against fighters.

Maybe a few of these too.

-Attack types -AntiVeryLight chance to hit bombers decreased from 85% to 75%. -AntiVeryLight damage vs Light armor decreased from 100% to 75%.

-Attack types -AntiVeryLight chance to hit bombers decreased from 85% to 75%. -AntiVeryLight damage vs Light armor decreased from 100% to 75%.

Yeah, do I even have to say you're wrong, or is it evident enough?
April 9, 2008 8:07:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You apparently didn't read anything I wrote in the edit. Yes Fighters aren't any more effective against LRMs. However, bombers got a boost.

The patch is good because it is at least balancing in the right direction - an incremental balance.

Carriers are better than before. This is evident by how flak is less effective against bombers, which have light armour.

LRM is now slower before with normal range again.

That said, hopefully fighters will get some love but not to the point where flak can't do what it's built to do.

Yes I did, babycakes.

*clears throat*

I'll refrain from making rude remarks but know that when you're trying to make a point and have people listen to you, utter arrogance and condescension yields the opposite effect and only breed contempt in the readers.
April 9, 2008 8:24:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
How did bombers get a boost vs LRMS?! They do like 4dps when they cost so much!
Just as well off using light frigs!

Or did you not know that Fighters are the unit that counter LRMS? You know, the one that has a whole squad die instantly to flak?

And no, people are simply going to build MORE flaks now since they'll need more to effective kill LRMS. That means fighters are LESS of a counter to LRMs.
April 9, 2008 8:28:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
What really needs to be done is an increase in the power of culture. Advent has neither military supremacy or economic; it's dominating tech tree is pretty much useless. I think that greatly contributes to the fact that they are indeed, suck worthy. Going completely down the tech tree won't help you do anything in anygame compared to the options available to the TEC and Vasari. Compare Free EXP to Pervasive Economy and Armada, compare the culture cannon to the Nova Cannon and Kosutra. It's pretty clear Advent's endgame techs are suck.
April 9, 2008 8:37:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
ugh stupid edit gone..

Anways.

Sorry if I sound condescending, it's because I AM now. I'm so tired of making valid points and backing up my arguments with FACTS to have people say the same WRONG thing over and over. (IE: Omg fighters are super buffed and will pwn lrms now because flak does less damage to BOMBERS and hits BOMBERS less.)
How many times must I explain that bombers have a seperate armor class than fighters? Fighters are VeryLight. Bombers are Light. These changes do not effect fighters AT ALL.

What MAY make fighters/bombers/carriers better is LRMS being slower. Now things can run away and micro around lrms easier, while bombers are very fast. But this is unlikely to happen with how easily flak kills bother fighters AND bombers, even after this patch.

Also flak being 25% worse against lrms means that people will build MORE FLAK. Not less. SERIOUSLY WTF YOU GUYS. Why is this not obvious to anyone until I tell them?
That means fighters will do WORSE.
You really think peoples response to flaks being worse against lrms is that they'll make LESS flaks?
What are they going to make instead, lgith frigs? "zomg i need 1 flak per 3 lrms now instead of 3.5! wut2do?!?! omg ill make light frigs so their debre will clog the missile t00bz!"
See why I'm being so condescending now? \

I'm trying to HELP you guys. And I get these stupid arguments back to me, same ones over and over, no one every learning. :/
April 9, 2008 8:40:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
-Fix num particles in the user.setting file not actually increasing and added user control over the number of particle simulations since this is another main limiter for those with uber computers who want to push things.

What does this mean exactly? Ability to display more effects on-screen at any one time?

Also, are we still getting the hi-res textures or was that a 1.1 thing?

April 9, 2008 8:44:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
thats for 1.1
April 9, 2008 9:36:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Is the AI being updated? There was mention about the fleeing AI and ganging up on easy and medium levels previously by the devs.

Fleeing AI's needs to be addressed.

Keep up the great work.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001641   Page Render Time: