Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

MOD: Stargate Races - 2011/12/13 - Diplomacy v1.34 Update

By on June 12, 2008 8:14:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

dolynick

Join Date 04/2008
+43

This mod adds custom races to the game based on races from the various Stargate television series.  At present it includes the Ancients, Wraith, Asgard, Goa'uld and the Ori.

Ancients:

A race that uses larger, more powerful ships to compose the basis of their fleet.  You will have a fraction of the number of ships in your fleet but many of them are more comparable in power to a capital ship for other races than to a frigate.  Ancient capital ships are immensely powerful and include the fabled Atlantis city ship.  They are also able to build Space Gates that allow near instant travel between planets, allowing them to easily shift their fleet resources as needed.

Wraith:

A race whose ships do not have shields but who compensate with increased hull points, armor and regeneration rates.  They have a wide selection of cruisers of varying power but only one type of capital ship, Hives, which are the heart of their fleet.

Asgard:

A race whose ships focus on shields and mobility.  Asgard vessels and structures have low hull point scores but all have shield points.  While they may not have dramatically more shield points than other races, their shields are superior in mitigation factors and mitigation build-up, with multiple research entries for improvements.  The Asgard fleet employs no strikecraft but makes up for the lack thereof with superior anti-fighter weaponry on various ships and structures and a notable advantage in mobility.  Sublight and hyperspace engines are highly advanced and provide superior mobility in both local gravity wells as well as interplanetary & interstellar travel and the Asgard empire tree provides numerours upgrades which provide further mobility advantages.

Goa'uld

A parasitic race who pose as gods to their subjects.  A powerful economy and formiddable diplomatic and cultural tools combine to make them a force to be reckoned with.  They may only have a handful of frigates and cruisers but most serve several functions.  Powerful capital ships anchor their fleet and complete their tools for conquest.

Ori

An offshoot of the Ancient race founded on fanatical belief in ascended beings who call themselves the Ori.  Governed by the Priors, living beings empowered by the Ori to impose their will, the followers of Origin are empowered by the the vast knowledge of the universe that their ascended overlords possess.  The Ori fleet is composed of a full compliment of ships varying in size but all very powerful.   Even the smallest frigates are protected by powerful shields and the massive capital ships are capable of engaging entire enemy fleets by themselves as they spread Origin across the universe or destroy all those who refuse to submit to the will of the Ori.

Latest Release Versions:

Diplomacy v1.34

dolynick_SGRaces-d1.06.zip

Galaxy Mod (Standalone, customized Sins Plus version for Diplomacy):

dolynick_GalaxyMod-d1.06.zip

Planet Size mod:

dolynick_PlanetSize-d1.03.zip

SG Galaxy Mod (Merge of SGRaces, GalaxyMod and PlanetSize mods):

dolynick_SGGalaxy-d1.06.zip

Fleet Size mod:

dolynick_FleetSize-d1.03.zip

All are Manifest friendly.  Verified to work with Volumetric Explosions and Bailknights for Entrenchment.  Priority order, top to bottom:  1) SG-Races, 2) PlanetSize, 3) FleetSize, 4) Volumetric, 5) Bailknight's.

If you are using SGGalaxy then you may stack it with the FleetSize mod as follows:  1) SGGalaxy, 2) FleetSize, 3) Volumetric, 4) Bailknight's.

**Note:  It may be necessary to reduce game effect settings to "high" from "highest", especially when using Volumetric Explosions and Bailknight's graphic effects in conjunction with SGRaces or SGGalaxy.  It may also be necessary to edit your user.setting file and increase the MaxParticleCount setting (default value is 6000).

-dolynick

Locked Post 1775 Replies +10
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 12, 2008 8:24:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
WWW Link

We've already started a Stargate mod and if you're interesting in joining the team, check out our forums. I'm looking for someone to help me with the coding part of the mod. I'm not trying to discourage you from working on your own mod, but with us, your balance and such would be combined with unique models for a complete overhaul of SINS.
June 12, 2008 8:49:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Yeah I had noticed you had a project started.

Originally I was just seeing if I could get something to work and it just went from there.

I started this on Thursday and I now have a pretty much complete race done (minus models and graphics of course). Virtually all of their research, entities and abilities have their own unique entities now. I'm still tweaking things here and there of course.

I would say feel free to use this mod as part of your mod but I have no idea where you are with your own coding for the Ancients or if our ideas for them are anywhere even near on the same page. By all means download this mod and give it a try. If you would like to include it in the Stargate mod let me know, I have no problems with that.

I may very well move on to the Wraith, Asgard or Gua'uld next, assuming I am satisfied with the way the Ancients play (still playtesting myself). If you are serious about needing someone to do the coding for all the entities then I might as well do that for you instead of replicating mods - but I already have some ideas in mind for how I was going to go about doing it.

-dolynick
June 12, 2008 9:11:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Yeah I had noticed you had a project started.Originally I was just seeing if I could get something to work and it just went from there.I started this on Thursday and I now have a pretty much complete race done (minus models and graphics of course). Virtually all of their research, entities and abilities have their own unique entities now. I'm still tweaking things here and there of course.I would say feel free to use this mod as part of your mod but I have no idea where you are with your own coding for the Ancients or if our ideas for them are anywhere even near on the same page. By all means download this mod and give it a try. If you would like to include it in the Stargate mod let me know, I have no problems with that.I may very well move on to the Wraith, Asgard or Gua'uld next, assuming I am satisfied with the way the Ancients play (still playtesting myself). If you are serious about needing someone to do the coding for all the entities then I might as well do that for you instead of replicating mods - but I already have some ideas in mind for how I was going to go about doing it.-dolynick

As far as the Ancients go, they won't be in the mod, but we will be using the Asuran Replicators which are exactly identical to the Ancients but have an uncanny thirst for blood. We haven't started on the Wraith research yet either. The only thing we have for them is the Hive.

I am open for pretty much all ideas. So just share some of your ideas (if you feel like it) and we'll see where we can go from there. And if you can do all unique researches, abilities, etc. in one week, we'd be thankful to have you as part of our team.

As for your mod, I'm downloading it now and going to be taking a look at it tomorrow to see what you came up with.
June 12, 2008 9:43:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I lied. I couldn't help but take a peek at your files. Just curious, but did you manage to get Spacegates to be an instantaneous travel or does it do the same thing as Phase gates for the Vasari?
June 12, 2008 9:56:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
As far as the Ancients go, they won't be in the mod, but we will be using the Asuran Replicators which are exactly identical to the Ancients but have an uncanny thirst for blood. We haven't started on the Wraith research yet either. The only thing we have for them is the Hive. I am open for pretty much all ideas. So just share some of your ideas (if you feel like it) and we'll see where we can go from there. And if you can do all unique researches, abilities, etc. in one week, we'd be thankful to have you as part of our team.As for your mod, I'm downloading it now and going to be taking a look at it tomorrow to see what you came up with.

Well, when I say unique I meant that they have their own entity files, not that they are completely unique. I did modify many of the abilities to better suit their particular fleet composition but I did not re-invent the wheel when it came to ship abilities.

I did, however, go to some length to try and remove all instances of the term "phase" and replace it with Hyperspace and that kind of thing.

As far as these ancients go, I'm pretty much happy with the rough stats of the their ships and weapons. I think balancing from here will be getting the costs and fleet supply usages to appropriate levels. I originally had them higher but felt that it was a bit too harsh and knocked it down a peg. I may have over-compensated and somewhere in the middle is where I might have to move back to.

I do forsee a few possible issues regarding the capitals, or at the Atlantis city ship at least, in that an Atlantis rush as free starting capital might be possible. Given how powerful the Atlantis is I may have to introduce research to make it available. It may certainly need a fleet supply increase also but if you actually had to pay for the thing then the balance of it might not be that far off. So far I find that if I do fleet supply rush to get it as my free capital, I have to be very careful of overexpanding too fast because the Ancients simply cannot build a supporting fleet fast enough to defend the empire a game-start Atlantis can create.

The Atlantis is not indestructible though, I've made mistakes in playtesting and had a hard AI take out my Atlantis with a fleet of 30-40 ships (I even had 6 supporting heavy cruisers with it). It might seem like it's indestructible but it's not. Losing an Atlantis is definitely a game altering blow too, the Ancient capitals are not easy to replace unless you already have a runaway economy/empire.

I had also considered that the Asuran Replicators would be more or less similar to what the Ancients would be. I wasn't sure I was going to attempt them though as while I would focus them more on Nanotechnology (which the Ancients certainly have already in my mod) I didn't think I could come up with enough ways to make them different without making them just outright even more powerful.

Anyways, try the mod out and see what you think. If you like it and think that I might be of some help then let me know and we'll go from there.

-dolynick
June 12, 2008 9:59:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I lied. I couldn't help but take a peek at your files. Just curious, but did you manage to get Spacegates to be an instantaneous travel or does it do the same thing as Phase gates for the Vasari?

Oh, hehe. I remember seeing some discussion of that in your thread when I browsed it a while back. No, the space gates are basically just renamed Vasari phase gates... at least as it stands. As I said, this was my first mod attempt I did not re-invent the wheel in terms of adding completely new, unique abilities. Mostly I just renamed and tweaked from IronClad's work. I apologize if anything I posted above mislead you in that regard.

-dolynick
June 12, 2008 10:05:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ack, can't edit the last post...

I was just thinking about the space gates and while I don't think (or at lest know of a way) that instantaneous travel is possible in the game, I did think it might be possible to do a hack job and make it sort of work like that.

Basically I'm thinking that the space gate access research itself will include some rediculous jump speed increase (10,000%?). It would be an ugly fake but it should work.

I'll see if I can get that worked into this mod and how it turns out.

-dolynick
June 13, 2008 2:15:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ok. That works. Travel between space gates is now effectively instantaneous. I now have a useless research upgrade but that's alright, maybe I can think of something else to put in it's place.

I can't think of a way to limit what kind of ships can pass through the gates though, or if that would even be possible.

-dolynick
June 13, 2008 11:43:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
There will be an update coming soon for this mod.

Ancient Space gates were not functioning in 0.90b and have been changed as per the post above. I'm also tweaking fleet supply and cost requirements for ships as well as modifying the speed of a few of them for balance.

-dolynick
June 13, 2008 2:52:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Oh my god!!! I was waiting so long for something from the Stargate Universe to put all those DRRRRTY sinners in their place!!!

HoooooooOLY HANNA!!!
June 13, 2008 4:20:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Uploading new 0.91b version as I post this.

0.91 Beta Change Log:
=====================
-Balance change: ship fleet supply and cost requirements of ships.
-Balance change: speed attributes of a few ships
-Balance change: Drone swarm cooldown times doubled to 60 seconds. Antimatter cost of swarms on capital ships increased 50% to 75.
-Fixed Ancient Space Gates so they now work. Cost also increased.
-Ancient Space Gate travel is now effectively instantaneous. Travel speed improvement research removed.
-Customized Lagrangian Point Satellite's Cleansing Brilliance beam statistics.

I'll be updating the main thread post with the new download link soon, when the upload is finished.

-dolynick
June 13, 2008 4:22:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Oh my god!!! I was waiting so long for something from the Stargate Universe to put all those DRRRRTY sinners in their place!!!

Well it's not what I would call 'complete' by any means but it is certainly playable I think. I hope you enjoy it Helioforge.

-dolynick
June 13, 2008 6:16:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ok. That works. Travel between space gates is now effectively instantaneous. I now have a useless research upgrade but that's alright, maybe I can think of something else to put in it's place.

I can't think of a way to limit what kind of ships can pass through the gates though, or if that would even be possible.

-dolynick

Ha. I thought of that at work today. But instead of including it in the research, I thought maybe have it as a secondary buff or ability on the Space Gate, so that when a ship travels towards it, the space gate will give the ship a 10000% hyperspace speed boost. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but will here shortly. I'll post again if this works.
June 13, 2008 8:01:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Getting the ability to work with the desired effects was easy. The phase gates now have an ability that increases the speed and chargeup of all ships in a certain radius by 10000%. The only problem is that there is no way to limit the effects to ships traveling from space gate to space gate. In other words, a ship can take use of this effect to travel to any planet as long as they enter hyperspace within in the time frame.
June 13, 2008 9:07:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Getting the ability to work with the desired effects was easy. The phase gates now have an ability that increases the speed and chargeup of all ships in a certain radius by 10000%. The only problem is that there is no way to limit the effects to ships traveling from space gate to space gate. In other words, a ship can take use of this effect to travel to any planet as long as they enter hyperspace within in the time frame.

Right. Whereas including it in the research I was able to make the effect only applies to travel between space gates. It's probably just a matter of the types of buff modifiers used though.

-dolynick

June 13, 2008 10:58:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Right. Whereas including it in the research I was able to make the effect only applies to travel between space gates. It's probably just a matter of the types of buff modifiers used though.

Really? That's cool. Then that works really well. How did you get it to work that way?
June 14, 2008 12:02:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Right. Whereas including it in the research I was able to make the effect only applies to travel between space gates. It's probably just a matter of the types of buff modifiers used though.Really? That's cool. Then that works really well. How did you get it to work that way?

In the module access research I used:

researchFloatModifiers 1
researchModifier
modifierType "HyperspaceSpeedPhaseGateAdjustment"
baseValue 0.000000
perLevelValue 1000.000000

Applies only to travel between phase gate nodes.

On a related note I found something for the irrelevant upgrade research slot too. Space Gate Trade. Research increases cargo capacity and each space gate applies a resource output boost to the planet it orbits (still working on the latter part). Should make for a nice, unique racial economy trait.

-dolynick
June 17, 2008 1:50:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
hey. nice mod, love it. i refered it to Danman for his 7 Deadly Sins Mod, as i think it would make a perfict addition for it. finally a race that can rival the atlantians...even tho in a way i guess their the same. either way, good work. I'm starting to get a grasp of 3DS Max so if i come up with any ship designs ill send em to you to see what you think. hope if he asks youll give him permission to use your mod as part of his. love em both and they work well together. tho i have one gripe.
when i was usin the ancients and i built two space gates, i could not use them. perhaps when you get them working you can redo the texture with supergates or something. it'd be about right, wouldnt ya say? anyhow, keep it up man. and derbal213... dont think iv forgotten about you guys. im gonna work on the ancient ships for you guys in a coupple days. just needed time to learn the program. tell EO ill hit him up soon as i can. or to send me a message over my aim even if i am away.
June 17, 2008 2:45:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
That's strange. I'm sure I was able to use the space gates successfully before I zipped up the last release. You're sure it was 0.91 and not the original 0.90? The gates were broken in the initial release. I've been thinking I should release an updated version at some point soon. I've continued to tinker and modify the mod and it's getting pretty complete now. I will have to double-check that gates are working still before I zip up that release.

As for Danman including this in 7 Deadly Sins... I don't mind (especially since I borrowed his Annubis mesh for a ship in this mod anyways) but since releasing this mod I've been working with the Stargate Invasion guys and I'm not sure what their thoughts on that might be right now. Granted, the Ancients themselves were not going to be in the SGI mod but this mod is likely going to form a base for modification for the Asurans (Replicators) in SGI.

Anyways, I will try to get the latest version out soonish. I've polished it up a bit more but I've been busy working on the Wraith the last little while so I've been a bit distracted.

-dolynick
June 17, 2008 12:37:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
That's strange. I'm sure I was able to use the space gates successfully before I zipped up the last release. You're sure it was 0.91 and not the original 0.90? The gates were broken in the initial release. I've been thinking I should release an updated version at some point soon. I've continued to tinker and modify the mod and it's getting pretty complete now. I will have to double-check that gates are working still before I zip up that release.As for Danman including this in 7 Deadly Sins... I don't mind (especially since I borrowed his Annubis mesh for a ship in this mod anyways) but since releasing this mod I've been working with the Stargate Invasion guys and I'm not sure what their thoughts on that might be right now. Granted, the Ancients themselves were not going to be in the SGI mod but this mod is likely going to form a base for modification for the Asurans (Replicators) in SGI.Anyways, I will try to get the latest version out soonish. I've polished it up a bit more but I've been busy working on the Wraith the last little while so I've been a bit distracted.-dolynick

Well I thought I'd check out this mod that was using parts of 7 DEADLY SINS. I have to say, you are doing a fine job. As you both know my Atlantians are not exactly the Ancients from Stargate, but I did borrow cues from the show. My Atlantians are a blend of stories, lore, sci-fi, and my own beliefs and feelings towards them.

I have tried your mod, and so far I like what I see, and I see that you were able to duplicate what I did with making capitals into frigates. Well done.
I tried the stargates, and they did not work for me either. The ships still traveled normally. I think you have to attach the ability to the stargate in order for it to work. I looked into the entity file, and the ability was there, but it wouldn't unlock after you researched it, so something is wrong.

By the way, I have the ATALANTIS city ship as a 3D model, and I am starting to texture it. I'd be more than happy to share it with you and the Stargate modders if you want it. It will be in my mod as well. I would like to incorporate parts of you mod into mine, but most of it is already there. I like what you did with the stargates (when they work) and what you did with the research tres. I also saw a ship from Kiedjor's mod, so make sure you give him credit.
Let me know if you need any help, and it is an honor to have my mod used in yours.

Looking forward to seeing more.

DANMAN
June 19, 2008 3:25:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Just an update...

The mod has come along nicely and is getting fairly polished now. Stringwork and tech tree is pretty well all customized and named now. Thinking of making some changes to small frigates/strikecraft yet but we'll see.

I would have released a new version by now except that my test game is giving me a minidump well (several hours) into the game. This test game has an AI ancient team in it as well as myself and seems to occur at a random time aside from eventually happening on every resumption of the test game. I have been completely unable to reproduce the minidump on my own, having now tested and scuttled every ship and structure, done all researches and used every ability I can think of with no crash. I'm at a bit of a loss as it seems to be something the AI is doing that I can't see that is causing the minidump and I have no idea what it is.

Perhaps I should release anyways and maybe someone else can find exactly what is causing it?

-dolynick
June 19, 2008 12:41:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
If you modify the code and reload a saved game, not all the stats will transfer over, and the ones that do will sometimes not work properly...

So if you modify the game AFTER saving, then that saved game will be somewhat unpredictable...

I used to do that, but I noticed it wasn't transferring my abilities over, so I reprogrammed the GalaxyScenarioDef to give me a mid-game level of ships, so that I could test it faster (also the developer version of SINS is good for this)
June 22, 2008 4:27:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
New version.
Updated thread with 0.95b release download link.

Version 0.95b Changes:
---------------------
-Revised Atlantis shield projection, duration is now determined by antimatter drain.
-Revised Jumpers, removed laser and drone scouts, new scout vessel.
-Revised Jumper fighter/bombers, removed strikecraft from Diruo destroyer and added to Adamas Warship.
-Adjusted weapon damage on most ships.
-Customized Battleship Radiation Bomb ability.
-Set Drone Swarm abilities back to a 30 second cooldown.
-Balance: Research required before the Atlantis capital ship can be built.
-Balance: Adjusted metal and crystal costs of Ancient cruisers.
-Revised Ancient trade upgrades in technology tree.
-Re-introduced an upgrade technology for Ancient Space Gates that affects trade and resources.
-Added few new civilian research subject to the Ancient tech tree.
-Customized Lagrangian Point Satellite beam ability.
-Stringwork - customized naming and descriptions of more in game items.

Feedback is appreciated. If you run into any crash issues, please post here and tell me what exactly happened so that I can try and fix it asap. I have not run into any crash bugs for a while now so I don't expect any reports.

This should be pretty close to a "final" release. It may need a touch more polishing, some balance tweaking and some further string work but I've played several games now and everything has shaped up nicely so far.

Hope you all enjoy it.

-dolynick
June 24, 2008 12:12:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hi dolynick,

really like your mod, especially the battle animations for the atlantian city ship.
I only have a few small things to add for now, will add bugs/problems as I find them.

- the scout ship (reconaissance probe) doesn't have auto scouting ability
- maybe wanna increase the size of the atlantian city ship? I mean, the model is looking great, but it's supposed to be a flying city. The tiny size makes it look more like a repair drone
- drone swarm ability of the city ship doesn't increase damage at level 2 (at least not visually), still shows 640 damage
- expand shields ability also doesn't go beyond 33% damage shared, is that intended?

Anyway, keep up the good work!
June 24, 2008 2:31:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hi therealjcool,

Glad you're enjoying the mod and thanks for the feedback.

- the scout ship (reconaissance probe) doesn't have auto scouting ability

Thanks for pointing that out. It's an omission and I will add it to the Reconnaissance Probe for the next release.

- maybe wanna increase the size of the atlantian city ship? I mean, the model is looking great, but it's supposed to be a flying city. The tiny size makes it look more like a repair drone

Unfortunately, I am not a modeller. The Atlantis is using the TEC Hoshiko model right now (it's the only round ship model available). I would love to have something more suitable to use for it but I am at the mercy of the modellers in the community on that one. The Stargate Invasion mod team has been working on a model for it for their project and Danman has also posted in this thread that he has been working on one as well. Hopefully I may be able to use one of those custom models in the future.

- drone swarm ability of the city ship doesn't increase damage at level 2 (at least not visually), still shows 640 damage

That is intentional. Drone Swarms (there are several different versions used on various ships) do not increase in damage to a single target as the level goes up. Instead they hit more targets. For example, at level 1 the Atlantis swarm hits 8 targets, 12 at level 2 and 16 targets at level 3. Unfortunately, the ability stats card that the game shows does not display that information but I assure you that the ability does get more powerful with each level.

- expand shields ability also doesn't go beyond 33% damage shared, is that intended?

Yes, it was intended. It's the same % shared as the Iconus ability at the moment but I have been considering changing it for the next release. I will probably set it to 50% but nothing is for sure yet. If it were identical to the show, then it should be 100% but that might be too powerful.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I've recently created custom particle effects (missiles and explosions) for the Ancient Drones that will go into the next release so if you like them now, they should be even better in the next version.

-dolynick
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001156   Page Render Time: