Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins v1.1 Beta Information

Read this before you get started!

By on July 23, 2008 3:10:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yarlen

Join Date 01/2005
+200

The Sins of a Solar Empire v1.1 BETA will become available on Thursday, July 24th. As the name states, this is a BETA release and it will have bugs and other issues. Please do not install the BETA unless you're willing to accept all that testing it entails. We will be looking towards users to give us feedback on what's broken and what you'd like to see improved during the test.

The version 1.1 BETA will be available in English only and only via our Impulse client (the final release will be available in multiple languages for those who purchased the game from Kalypso).  The Impulse client is free and may be downloaded from http://www.impulsedriven.com

If you have a forum account here or on any other Stardock website, you may use it to log into Impulse.  The Impulse client should automatically see your Sins install; this assumes that you registered Sins of a Solar Empire under the same account (i.e., email address). If you did not, you will need to manually register your game in Impulse by clicking the window icon in the upper right corner (see screenshot below) or clicking on the Orb and selecting "Register a product."

Impulse Registration

At this point, you should see Sins of a Solar Empire appear under the My Games tab. If you want, you can drag and drop other games' shortcuts into Impulse to launch them from here, but that's off-topic...  

As this is a BETA, you will need to tell Impulse that you want to see pre-release versions of the game. You can do this by clicking on the Orb in the upper left and selecting "Show pre-release versions."

Show pre-release versions

Impulse will now check to see if an update is available for Sins.  After we've released an update, you will see a separate Update tab in Impulse, but you may also update the game from the My Games tab. Just select Sins of a Solar Empire and click the Update button. Impulse will compare your installed files against what's available on the server and update accordingly.

Some Final Notes on the BETA

• Impulse will show the Sins update as v1.09.  This is normal as we're working up to v1.1.  As we put out updated BETA versions, the version number will increase until we hit the final v1.1.
  • You will only be able to play multiplayer games with others using the v1.09 BETA (you can still play single-player games too).
  • If you run into problems or have other feedback, please post it in the Beta Feedback forum. We will be looking for reports here and if you post them elsewhere, they may be missed.
  • You can read over the Change Log here.

The Sins v1.1 BETA will be made available on Thursday, July 24.

UPDATE:  If it's taking a long time to download the Sins update, you may want to uninstall the game and reinstall the entire beta fresh. Full installs come off our Cachefly network which has a multiple servers and loads of bandwidth.

134 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 23, 2008 4:52:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
so i cant play singleplayer gammes with the beta? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i cant setup an ironclad online account it just wont work!
July 23, 2008 4:54:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thursday!!! Yeah! What time seriously. I don't wanna keep opening and closing impulse.
July 23, 2008 4:59:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
so i cant play singleplayer gammes with the beta? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i cant setup an ironclad online account it just wont work!

Thats not what it said.

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER, you can ONLY do so with other PEOPLE THAT HAVE THE BETA.

Singleplayer, Will not be affected, You can play normally with the beta changes in effect.
July 23, 2008 5:11:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thats not what it said.IF YOU WANT TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER, you can ONLY do so with other PEOPLE THAT HAVE THE BETA.Singleplayer, Will not be affected, You can play normally with the beta changes in effect.

srry cooley but if i look @ the text

You will only be able to play multiplayer games with others using the v1.09 BETA.

my first thought was i could only play multiplayer games (with others ofcourse..   ) thus that meaning ONLY multiplayer, not singleplayer....

it's just a lil confusing....... no offense really   

July 23, 2008 5:17:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

(srry for dual-post,edit won't load???)

your ironclad online account should be identical to your buyers account (if bought online)
i'm no expert on this as iy worked fine for the @ start...+ i dont know your buying method

but like i said, the account you bought it with / received during purchase should be the same as ironclad account
July 23, 2008 5:18:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
oooohhhh i feel like a douche now thanks for pointing that out though,
karma for u!
July 23, 2008 5:24:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
sorry for double post (had the same problem shadow) the details i used for the online account where the same as the ones i got when i bought the game same user name same password and correct serial, never worked tried it many times before, but i tried it twice just now with the correct details both times, first try-no luck second-bingo! it just decided to work!
made my day
July 23, 2008 5:24:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sweet, BUGS! LOVE THOSE!!! can't wait for thursday!
July 23, 2008 5:32:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Guess what day my birthday is?

Yeah, that's right...July 24...1989 if anyone's interested.

Me and Sins were written in the books of destiny long ago Oo
July 23, 2008 5:44:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Yippie, haven't gotten my hands dirty with Sins testing for a long time Looking forward to it.
July 23, 2008 5:59:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I want to get the beta and do what I can to help. Being able to host games will be great, too.

However, since we can only play with others that have the beta version, as has been said, this raises a couple of questions:
- When in the lobby, will we be able to see everyone? Or only able to see other players that have the beta patch?
- If we can see everyone, will there be some indication (aside from 'their word') that they have the beta patch?
- If the answer to the previous question is 'no', I think it would be best if beta testers agreed to meet in a specific channel, not Lobby 1, when playing online...
July 23, 2008 6:08:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
AFAIK you'll be connecting to an entirely different instance of the server.
July 23, 2008 6:18:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
As amped as I am for this, I think I'll wait till the official release which will hopefully be followed by the data files as I have mods installed. Unless it's possible to install the update over the mod(s) and then deactivate it to use these changes, then reactivate it to use my mods, does anyone know if that's possible?
July 23, 2008 7:03:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Unless it's possible to install the update over the mod(s) and then deactivate it to use these changes, then reactivate it to use my mods, does anyone know if that's possible?

I don't believe that will be possible. As far as I know Mods, savedgames, and recordings are all linked to the version they where made for/under. So unless the modded files where created vith the version they are being played on then the differences with crash the game. Version 1.05 mods with only work with patch 1.05. If you saved a game in 1.05 you won't be able to play it or watch the recording, if your patched up to the 1.09/1.1 beta.

If thats incorrect someone just slap me...

My thanks to all the Ironclad/Stardock crew who made this beta possible. I'll feedback here if I find any discrepancies. Sins has the best support I have ever seen in my limited gaming career. A guy could get spoiled around here.   
July 23, 2008 7:11:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I KNEW selling my soul was a good idea

Gonna be a fun weekend.
July 23, 2008 7:25:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thanks FoePa, I guess I'll just have to redo all my changes.
July 23, 2008 7:58:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You will be able to play single-player games with the beta.  I don't think it's implied at all that this is only multiplayer....   

Those using the beta version will be on a different instance of the ICO server as Kryo indicated. You will only be able to see other beta users.

Mods, save games from previous versions, etc. will not work with this beta.  Mods will need to be updated by their creators in order to work (just like with previous updates).

July 23, 2008 8:19:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I can't wait for the beta

Just a couple more hours and i'm already fired up
July 23, 2008 8:37:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hoping I'll have time to help out with this. For those that do, make sure you really dig around with the new stuff and weed out the obvious bugs and imbalances. Will be much appreciated.
July 23, 2008 8:49:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Yes!!!!! Thank you!!!   for letting us know when exactly the BETA will come. I can rest easy again.  
July 23, 2008 10:55:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I don't think it's implied at all that this is only multiplayer....

The wording is iffy; if I tilt my head and I can see where they were coming from. Its a stretch, but if you're coming at it "cold" without the experience of having dealt with SD / IC testing cycles...

Yippie, haven't gotten my hands dirty with Sins testing for a long time Looking forward to it.

Just like the good old days again, huh?
July 24, 2008 1:04:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I click on "show pre-release versions" and nothing happens.

How else am i meant to download the beta?
July 24, 2008 1:18:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I click on "show pre-release versions" and nothing happens.How else am i meant to download the beta?

It's not out yet
July 24, 2008 2:52:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Can't wait to incorporate all the new changes into 7 DEADLY SINS...

DANMAN
July 24, 2008 2:59:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Wow, I'm really glad you gave instructions on how to use Impulse and get the beta, or I think I would have REALLY had a difficult time doing it. Is it me, or are all those tiny buttons (that almost look like part of the Art/Frame) unintuative?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001156   Page Render Time: