Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins of a Solar Empire 2 anyone

game

By on September 8, 2008 8:08:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

nOObinator5000

Join Date 09/2008
+2

Man SoaSE is a great game that you can keep playing over and over again. So does anyone think that Stardock should make a sequel? Well that would be cool! Imagine a whole bunch of fetures to discover, a better graphics engine (not that its bad). So should Stardock make SoaSE 2?

130 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 9, 2008 3:19:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, seeing as their working on three small separate add-ons and a further full add-on, it'll probably take a long while before they'll actually start working on a second game.

September 9, 2008 5:28:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ofcourse they should. But hopefully they will focus on make Sins even better first ^^

September 9, 2008 5:39:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Id rather Ironclad made the sequel, lol, and in about 3 years time...

September 9, 2008 3:23:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and what kind of features would you want from a new gme?

September 10, 2008 9:31:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd like to see a better online multiplayer user interface and auto-download for custom (Galaxy Forge made) maps and mods.

Aside from auto-downloading, here are some of my user interface ideas:

Allow folks hosting a game or those who have "joined" a game to pull up a game browser as a separate window and see what other games are forming.

Allow people to join multiple chat channels and let them switch between them with tabs (like in mIRC).  Also let people continue to access the chat channels while they're playing in a game.

Create an in-game window that could be accessed with a function key that shows the public chat and team chat.

Allow people to create multiple friends lists for each account and to be able to send messages to separate friends lists, ie; /f1 (friends list one), /f3 (friends lists 3), etc.

Give the game built-in voice comm so that people can chat with teammates without having to use Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

September 11, 2008 6:09:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

Man SoaSE is a great game that you can keep playing over and over again. So does anyone think that Stardock should make a sequel? Well that would be cool! Imagine a whole bunch of fetures to discover, a better graphics engine (not that its bad). So should Stardock make SoaSE 2?

As much as I'd like Stardock to take credit for Sins of a Solar Empire, the real credit belongs to Ironclad, the game studio that conceived and developed Sins of a Solar Empire.  I am sure they would like to do a sequel at some point in the future but when that might be nobody knows.

September 12, 2008 9:26:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

what i truly hope on there next add-ons is that there will be a campaign better diplomacy and mosst of all but i think that will never happen planetary battles. i would looove to see that you send down a whole invasion force down on a planet something like supreme commander, i hope that if that day comes when they do that it will be very large with lots of units not like C&C  but hundreds of tanks or maybe thousands that would be so awesome.

September 12, 2008 10:04:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting warheart666,
what i truly hope on there next add-ons is that there will be a campaign better diplomacy and mosst of all but i think that will never happen planetary battles. i would looove to see that you send down a whole invasion force down on a planet something like supreme commander, i hope that if that day comes when they do that it will be very large with lots of units not like C&C  but hundreds of tanks or maybe thousands that would be so awesome.

Don't hold your breath...

September 14, 2008 6:05:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd like to see more moddablility, and the auto-download feature for mods/mod maps. Does anybody at Stardock/Ironclad play custom maps in Warcraft 3? Its the main reason why Blizzard games aren't pirated that much, because you WILL want to play it online, with custom mod maps. No need to download an entire mod, the map has mods built in.

Also, this is very Homeworld 2 esque, but I feel big ships should act like big ships, like in most movies (Star Wars anyone?) the bigger ships have multiple anti-fighter defenses, and also are bristling with other weaponry. I'm not asking you to stick on hundreds of turrets and make Super Star Destroyer/Death Star equivalents; I know that would play hell with my computer (2.2 GHZ, 4 G RAM, ATI x2600) and would be more than slightly unrealistic.

The hardcoded limits are about 10 per ship, make it like, 20, and the modders will be jumping for joy.

September 15, 2008 2:35:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SD, don't hold your breath for auto-download.  This issue has been discussed before and I get the sense that the lack of auto-download was an intentional design decision and that it could be enabled by changing some permission settings at the ICO server.

It's kind of sad because in one of Frogboy's interviews (I think it was the Game Informer interview about Impulse) I think  he said something to the effect  that he thought PC games needed to take advantage of the PC's advantages to help beat out console games.  Well--one of the huge advantages PC games have over the consoles is the ability to have custom content--custom maps and mods--that should be easily accessible to people who play on online (which means having auto-download).

It's possible that Ironclad has legitimate reasons for not wanting to enable auto-downloading for custom content but I have yet to see it explained.  (One possibility is that they might be concerned that people could try to pass off virus files as custom maps or custom content; after all, the maps are merely simple text files.  If so, might it not be possible to have the ICO server run a virus scan on that stuff first?)

September 15, 2008 2:37:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

(I can't use the Edit function anymore for some reason, so this has to go into another post.)

One more idea for the auto-download would be to have custom content get approved/vetted by Ironclad or Stardock first (to make sure that it's virus free and trouble free) and to then allow only those specific mods and files that have been vetted to be auto-downloaded.

September 15, 2008 2:59:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't remember the exact details now but I remember kryo or someone else commented on the difficulties of auto download. It has something to do with authentication. The content is already approved before it's posted on WinCustomize, but you need to be logged in to download it AFAIK?

Anyway, don't quote me on this because it was ages ago and I don't remember the specifics, but yes it's been beat to death. Still, a new game is a new game (since this thread is asking about Sins 2, even though it's a bit early)- you never know.

September 15, 2008 7:05:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If there is going to be a second game. Would anyone like to see a new race and a lot of other different add ons to the previous races. Though there is a mod where a person has made a mod with a new race the Xin. He also added a whole bunch of addons like outposts powers ships and an entirely new class of ships TITAN class ships. These as you can see by the title are bigger than your average cap ship. Even though this mod is great it could be refined or used for a new game. So does anyone want to see new ships, powers or maybe even a new race?

September 15, 2008 7:06:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

just sayin.

September 15, 2008 7:19:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also if there is a new game does anyone feel interested in a new race that was persuing the Vasari. Does anyone want to find out who they are?

September 16, 2008 5:21:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

THATS THE 1 THING THAT I WANT TO KNOW WHY A RACE AS POWERFUL AS THE VASARI DOING RUNNING AWAY THEN AGAIN THE AI CAN NEVER BEAT ME WITH THEM

September 16, 2008 12:38:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting CenturionJixra,

SD, don't hold your breath for auto-download.  This issue has been discussed before and I get the sense that the lack of auto-download was an intentional design decision and that it could be enabled by changing some permission settings at the ICO server.

It's kind of sad because in one of Frogboy's interviews (I think it was the Game Informer interview about Impulse) I think  he said something to the effect  that he thought PC games needed to take advantage of the PC's advantages to help beat out console games.  Well--one of the huge advantages PC games have over the consoles is the ability to have custom content--custom maps and mods--that should be easily accessible to people who play on online (which means having auto-download).

It's possible that Ironclad has legitimate reasons for not wanting to enable auto-downloading for custom content but I have yet to see it explained.  (One possibility is that they might be concerned that people could try to pass off virus files as custom maps or custom content; after all, the maps are merely simple text files.  If so, might it not be possible to have the ICO server run a virus scan on that stuff first?)

You are assuming too much I think.

Our next game after Demigod (the fantasy strategy game) will have integrated downloading and submission of mods in the game itself.

September 19, 2008 2:40:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy, just a question. Can we play online custom game with a mod? Many of us are confusing about this issue.

September 19, 2008 4:13:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For SOASE 2 Combined Spacebattles with DETAILED Ground combat would be the win. It's completely doable I think.

Make space bombardment have lasting consequences on a planets value so invasion (especially of terran type) planets is useful, make structures capturable. Give planets landbased structures (eg space elevators would increase the economy but cost a lot to build). Universities would increse the speed of overall research (by a small ammount per University, multiple universities on a planet would have a synergistic effect however).  Space Academies would result in more skilled ship crews coming from ships produced in that gravity well, strike craft produce in hangars in system would also be better. Troop Training Centers could allow troops to be produced there, Army Academies would result in more skilled ground forces produced on planet. These would be expensive and take time to build (ie enough to make a planet more desirable to capture/bombard) Underground Fortresses make a certain ammount of your civilian population invulnerable to bombardment until the entire planet is killed. Farms would increase economy a bit, and allow larger populations, as well as produce excess food that can be transported to other worlds (or traded to aliens). Mining Centers would produce resources on a planet (planet based resources would be more variable than asteroid, and they could change in value based on planetary morale, loyalty, goverment type, and good or bad luck. They would have a negative effect on food production and morale however. Factories would increase the value of trade produced on planet but also affect morale. They could also increase the production speed of units and structure produced there (synergistically, ie one factory 5%, two factories 15%, three factories 30%, etc)

Each of these (and other) structures would cost a certain amount of planetary points, some could only be built on certain types of planets (eg Terran would be best for farms, though they might operate at 25% on Ice, mining centers best on Volcanic etc)

Your ground forces would fight fairly intelligently on planet, and you could drop in to give them more specific orders if needed. They'd be landed by dropships and consist of three basic classes (Infantry, Tanks/Mechs, Capital Ground Units (ie Superunits) These different classes would be researchable to upgrade or get new units available. Each unit would cost an overall army point value (limiting total army size in a manner similiar to fleet sizes in SOASE 1), in addition it would have a transport value (limiting the number that could fit on a transport vessel (or the types of transport vessels that could carry it). ALL units would gain experience and go from green to elite. Capital units would be capable of firing at ships in near orbit (as would some specialized smaller units). Strike craft could be used to support/defend ground forces.

You couldn't build your own forces on the planet until you've captured at least a continent (planets could have multiple random continents with varying terrain in each region, troop construction would be slow unless the entire planet is controlled by a player (based on percentage of planet owned) , in most cases, ground troops have to be transported in.

Get new classes of ships.

Troop Transports (frigate, cruiser, and capital sizes), Teraforming ships (capable of transforming planet types), large Cargo, Mining, and Construction ships (their presence would increase construction speed or improve the economy/resource gathering, but cut down on your military force), Food transports allow larger populations to exist on less habitable worlds (but if those transports don't arrive in time...)

Government Types

These would affect your economy, military capability, research, and more, they would also affect aliens relations with you. Democracy, Monarchy, Dictatorship, Fascism, etc.

Diplomacy

Allow more options, eg demand tribute, Join the Empire (pay your goverment taxes), form trading blocs (you get a separate "black market where prices might be cheaper for some goods), form defensive pacts (you contribute ships to neutral fleets that act as quickly as possible to defend pact members, if a defensive pact breaks down then those ships may turn pirate, may join various ex pact members fleets, etc. You might be able to bribe their fleet to join yours, Assasinate their leader, support them economically in order to defend yourself against whoevers on the other side of their gravity well.

Small Factions

These would be similiar to the neutral forces on planets before they're captured, but they could act and react diplomatically, and they would be researching Space Lane travel (if they discover that technology then they become a major faction and can expand, research, etc as starting factions. They can also be asked for tribute, to join the empire or else, react to your culture, suffer ground invasions and be forcibly integrated, etc.

Espionage

Sneak a nuke into a Novalith Cannon? Capture the plans for an enemy ship? Steal technology? Assasinate a planetary Governor or Assasinate the Emperor (resulting in enormous economic and cultural damage for a period of time either for a planet or the entire empire) etc. You'd need a specialized Academy to make spies, and they would gain experience for successful missions much like capital ships, getting skills related to their intended role (Sabotage, Assasination, Subterfuge, Technology theft, inciting rebellions, etc)

More Variability in planets.

Planets should be unique, and have multiple features that set them apart and increase or decrease their overall strategic value or interest. Exploring the planets should have more wonder and surprise.

September 19, 2008 10:28:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very strong words and I agree that they are doable. I also like the idea of land battles as well as space battles. And the government and espionage, very tempting.

September 20, 2008 12:16:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I still like the idea of a sins ship creator.

September 20, 2008 8:42:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That is true it would make every game unique if you have control of what arnor armaments and shields your ships have.

September 20, 2008 10:08:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mods...

September 20, 2008 11:30:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'ce been modding games for close to a decade now, many things can't be modded into game engines that aren't designed to support those things. Ground combat would be one of those things I'm sure.

September 25, 2008 6:22:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Let 'em milk this one for all its worth first. God knows they deserve it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000813   Page Render Time: