Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins of a Solar Empire - Entrenchment Beta Information

By on December 16, 2008 11:19:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yarlen

Join Date 01/2005
+185

Welcome to the beta test for Sins of a Solar Empire - Entrenchment!  This micro-expansion is jam packed with enough features to qualify as a full fledged expansion pack, so we know it'll keep everyone busy for quite awhile.   That said, this is a beta - put simply this is going to be very buggy and somewhat unbalanced.

If you don't want to deal with bugs, balance issues or providing feedback to improve the game please wait for the final release!

The Entrenchment beta is available in English only!

Here are the highlights for Entrenchment:

• Starbases:  Construct powerful bases within any gravity well to help fortify your empire and project your power across the stars.  Each race's base is unique and upgradable with a number of abilities via research.
  • Defense Tech Tree:  Improve your defenses with the new Defense tech tree. Here is where you'll learn how to build starbases and upgrade them, in addition to improving your existing defense technologies.
  • Upgraded Defense Structures:  Improve your defense turrets and hangar bays with new abilities and better firepower!
  • Mine Fields:  Each race can now build (with the appropriate tech) mine fields within their gravity wells (or those of others).  These powerful devices can lay waste to an incoming enemy fleet if positioned properly.
  • New/Updated Frigates/Cruisers: New and updated frigates and cruisers will give you the power to lay mines, establish starbases or bring them down with powerful attacks.
  • Improved AI:  The AI has been improved substantially to be more deadly than ever before and now uses fleet tactics better.
  • Improved Graphics:  New stellar backgrounds, particle fx, and textures make Sins look better than ever.
  • and much more.

To install Entrenchment:

1. First, you will need the full version of Sins of a Solar Empire v1.12.  This update can be obtained via Impulse (http://www.impulsedriven.com).
  2. Once your pre-order is charged, you will see Entrenchment appear in Impulse under your My Games tab. Just click the Install button and Impulse will handle the rest.
    1. If you don't see Entrenchment appear after getting your order receipt via email from us, try Checking for Updates in Impulse (click the Stardock orb in the upper-left and select Check for Updates).
    2. If that doesn't work, you can manually register your Entrenchment serial number in Impulse. Click the blue ? in the upper right and select Register a Product.
    3. NOTE: Your order number is NOT your serial number.  Your charged pre-order receipt will clearly list your Serial Number.
  3. Once Entrenchment is installed, regular Sins will disappear from Impulse.  You will only be able to play online against other Entrenchment players during the beta.

Posting about Bugs:

Please check out Annatar's stickied thread about providing feedback to us about the beta:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/319171

Keep in mind that this version of Entrenchment is not finished. We're at the beginning of the beta process, not the end.

193 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 16, 2008 11:47:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personal Notes for Everyone:

I want to give some personal tips to everyone to maximize your enjoyment of this build of Entrenchment.  Most importantly, unless you like long games, set all the Game Option speeds to Fast.  Doing so will help with pacing quite a bit.

Another good tip is to make allies.  Don't think that an AI player will conquer every neutral world on its way to your empire - they won't.  They will fly through to strike at your territory if you leave it defenseless!

Lastly, place your starbases wisely.  An un-upgraded starbase is powerful, but will fall quickly to an enemy fleet.  Make sure you upgrade your starbases and place them where they will do the most good - you can only place 1 per gravity well (and they don't move unless you're the Vasari).  Don't leave your starbases on their own either, make sure you have defense turrets and the like there to back them up.

Have fun!

December 16, 2008 12:12:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yay! Thanks Yarlen I can't wait to get home now.

December 16, 2008 12:16:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Silly question, are we talking about beta as in Google's or Valve's RC betas, or old school unstable and incomplete feature list beta?

December 16, 2008 12:18:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well it should be stable since it's already building on a stable engine.. and it should be mostly feature complete. I know it's not 100%, but definitely the big things.

December 16, 2008 12:28:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How long to wait till fanally i will be charged for antrechment and could enjoi it?

December 16, 2008 12:35:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

heh, I'm already downloading it.

December 16, 2008 12:36:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lifeman69,
How long to wait till fanally i will be charged for antrechment and could enjoi it?
FOR ETERNITY!

('ascuse the caps, a bit excited)

December 16, 2008 12:41:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also still waiting to be charged

December 16, 2008 12:41:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Downloaded, installed and activated Entrenchment. Now, to test it out!

December 16, 2008 12:43:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Silly question, are we talking about beta as in Google's or Valve's RC betas, or old school unstable and incomplete feature list beta?

Read the bold line in my original post.

December 16, 2008 12:43:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Netriak,
*stabs*

December 16, 2008 12:46:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Netriak,

Where do you live so I can come over and strangle you? Thanks!

December 16, 2008 12:47:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and they don't move unless you're the Vasari

Oh dear me. A moving starbase front? That scares me in ways that I cannot even describe 

December 16, 2008 12:50:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

LordAlthalus is still waiting.

I thought we were going to be able to play single player? I'm not a fan of multi.

December 16, 2008 12:51:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I was thinking the same thing. "Wait, the Vasari one MOVES?"

That's just terrifying in so many awesome ways.

December 16, 2008 12:51:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Where can you find it? I've just paid for it and installed the latest patch, but there's nothing there.

December 16, 2008 12:54:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You can find it in impulse, along with sins of a solar empire itself. If you have the serial that is.

If you don't, you still have to wait.

December 16, 2008 12:58:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Metacognition,
Where can you find it? I've just paid for it and installed the latest patch, but there's nothing there.

Considerng they said it might take several hours to process all preorders, and they're doing it first-come-first-served, I'd get nice and calm and settle in for a bit of a wait. I'm sure it'll be worth it

December 16, 2008 12:59:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Make sure that "show pre-release versions" is enabled in Impulse (click the blue orb). Once you get the email saying it's been processed, it should show up for download.

It'll take a while if you just ordered, as there are a lot of orders in front of you to get through first.

December 16, 2008 12:59:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I already have a preorder and a order number, i ordered when the preorder was first announced, waiting for ability to actually download it!!!

December 16, 2008 1:08:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Damn for me its not showing up i had orderd it when the announcement was made their would be a beta but i still can<T get it.

December 16, 2008 1:09:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not yet for me.  I'm not sure if I put the same email down, would that affect anything? When it asked for an email to preorder I just gave them one. Not sure if it is the same as the one on Impulse.  I was logged onto Impulse obviously and I'm using the same PC...should still recognize it, correct?

Thanks,

Phalnax

P.S.: AHHH!!!! I can't wait!!

December 16, 2008 1:12:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The pre-orders are being charged. This will take a couple of hours (based on past experiences). As they go through, you'll get an email receipt and be able to use Impulse to download. It'll just show up as a new item when you logon to Impulse.

December 16, 2008 1:14:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Guys

when you order entrenchment you get a serial number.  Add that to your impulse account and the icon will show up to install entrenchment

December 16, 2008 1:14:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Phalnax, you'll want to contact Stardock to get that resolved. Try sales@stardock.com.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time: