Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Devs we need beta feed back

Come on guys we litterly pay for the food you eat

By on December 23, 2008 10:27:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

kyle blais

Join Date 04/2006
+1

theres a whole lot of disscusion about this beta but not a single word posted back to us tester who all also happen to be paying customers, not to mention this beta is slated to go gold or what ever in 9 days.

So dont you guys think its kinda odd/annoying that we have no response here from stardock i almost advocate every one who wants to know what the hey is going on with the expansion spam a post simillar to this till they have to notice us and say something.

Locked Post 29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 23, 2008 10:43:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

not to mention this beta is slated to go gold or what ever in 9 days.
Place holder date.

Btw: Star/Clad, Placeholder dates that show dates earlier than should be expected = bad.

December 23, 2008 10:59:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's Christmas.  I doubt we're going to hear anything from anybody until next Monday, if not the New Year.  The Devs deserve time off with their families too, ya know. 

JGH

December 23, 2008 11:42:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

at Hanrow

o ya forgot about christmass i hate this holiday but its not like we havent been playing and talking about this for a week with out a single word of feed back,

at kitkun

ya i kinda figured as much myself but its the only date i had to put in my post, these guys made a good game and all but i dont expect them to be godly and change things based on our feed back in a week

December 24, 2008 1:24:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Professional game devs rarely engage in a public round table discussion concerning a particular game's development.  I have no doubt that the devs are reading everything, analyzing the problems/solutions in house, and only contacting certain beta testers in private for elaborations and what-not.  Making a game is not a pretty process, so most devs keep it in the kitchen. 

December 24, 2008 1:40:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am not sure what information or "Feedback" you're looking for.

Entrenchment is in beta. We're reading what people are posting over the holidays and then when everyone gets back we'll be deciding what to do with this feedback.

December 24, 2008 2:25:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So dont you guys think its kinda odd/annoying that we have no response here from stardock i almost advocate every one who wants to know what the hey is going on with the expansion spam a post simillar to this till they have to notice us and say something.

They have responded to a few of the earlier threads that they are aware of the problems and have already provided one hotfix for the beta, which is admirable considering how fast it came.  With the possible exception of Vasari mines, there is such a diversity of opinions regarding beta game balance that it is pretty hard for the developers to constructively engage everyone.  Ironclad is a small team -- it is actually pretty cool that the lead developers actually take the time time to read and post on the forums at all, not to mention Frogboy, the CEO of Stardock.

Give them some time to work!  Besides, it's Christmas!

December 24, 2008 4:26:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

they can take as long as they like for all i care id just like to know a little of what there thinking, theres no reason they cant bounce ideas off us here in the beta thread or throw up polls to see what changes might be preferd by the players

even frogboys small post of more or less saying some of the team is gone on early holidays or there a little layed back right now so there just collateing info is great. I dont think as testers we need full change logs or a response to every single post but small snipits every few days as to whats going on is great.

actully i just got a neat idea, the devs spend just as much time talking about things as we do in the blance threads id imageine so if while there talking about this stuff they just grab a tape recorder(etc) and then threw the recording on the site or what ever we could listen in and they wouldnt even need to waste time telling us there ideas. you never know maybe they come up with something on the drawing table that we would all love but they dont think so it gets thrown away.

So anyways sorry if i came off a bit or a lot trollish there folks and keep up the great work there uh where ever your office is located IronClad lol.

o and Cykur i alrady addressed my forgeting off this evil time of the year when every one wastes money on stupid presents and forgets what really important family, such a corperate holiday sigh.

December 24, 2008 5:30:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally, I think it'd be cool during these betas if there was a scheduled day and time to go on the IRC and hold an orderly conversation with the other players and the devs about what's good, bad and ugly.  Would go a long ways towards quicker feedback on the issues that crop up with such a new release.

You'd have to moderate it some way of course but I think it could help, especially when threads seem to get buried or customers just can't tell if they've been read or not, to have easily quotable lines from the devs regarding common issues.  Would also help as you could cut and paste them into new topics when the same problem inevitably gets posted again.

December 24, 2008 7:07:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Entrenchment is in beta. We're reading what people are posting over the holidays and then when everyone gets back we'll be deciding what to do with this feedback.

I think people just expect the official folks to spend as much time posting as working Then again, for a lot it's the first time beta testing with the SD/IC team so their expectations are a bit off.

Ultimately, everything gets read. Not everything is agreed on. Some things will be priorities, others not. So some things may be changed now and others put on the list for later.

December 24, 2008 8:46:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Beta feedback works best when it's a two-way street. Is there something you want specifically looked at? Are there technical limitations around how the mine spam problem can be solved (as some of the ideas are pretty out there)? Since their damage output is so different, which of the three Starbases is doing what is intended?

These are things that we don't know unless the people in the know (the developers) tell us. Obviously I don't expect someone to sit here on Christmas Day writing posts about the technical problems around Final Judgement, but we need developer feedback on our ideas just like you need player feedback on the implementation.

December 24, 2008 9:11:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It works best as a 2 way street if it needs to be a 2 way street.  Right now they are probably 100% busy fixing issues and balancing based on feedback already given.  When they are closer to getting finished with the product you might hear them asking you to look at specific things or asking if you are happy with specific areas but right now not hearing anything from them is not a bad thing for us, they are busy making the game better.

And seriously...? you 'need' developer feedback on your own ideas?  lol....why?

December 24, 2008 9:31:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Because they know what's actually possible. If we all get together and decide that the best solutoin for mines is for them to be invisible without a scout in the area, its really a lot of wasted discussion if it turns out that it's impossible to do for technical reasons.

December 24, 2008 9:35:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok   They've already said their first iteration of mines had them actually cloaked, but they dropped it for gameplay reasons so it's highly unlikely to make it back. Last I heard they were trying to salvage the old cloak code to see if they could stick it in anyway for all the modders who want cloaking ships and such.

December 24, 2008 9:53:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I was a software engineer for 7 years in a shop that had a formal engineering dept, qa department, etc. They way things worked it we'd release code, qa would perform regression testing (what we're doing), and if they found a defect would enter it into Team Foundation Systems, which is a MIcrosoft tool for change control (listing and resolving defects and such).

If we needed to talk to the qa personnel, we would. Otherwise, we would just fix things and re-submit to qa for further testing. The objective was to resolve 90 percent of the listed defects on the first time through. I think these guys have the situation well in hand. We've given them very well-defined defect with plenty of suggestions of how things should be fixed. Now the devs need to take a decision based on that and implement a fix.

I would expect to have something not this week, but closer to the beginning of the week after next (after 1 January) due to holidays.

When we get the next beta release, expect about a 90 percent solution first time through. They'll probably need to revisit mines again following the next release, but just for fine-tuning. Reason is that it affects play so much.

Just my 2 cents.

December 24, 2008 1:20:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Speaking for myself, you just gave the sort of feedback I'd like. You're letting people play over the holidays, and then implementing changes based on that period. Cool.

Just knowing what sort of schedule things are on, and when we might expect another update is good.

Unfortunately, with the totally useless starbase range and the utterly insane mine spam, there's nothing much more I need to test, since everything is moot until something is done about those, so I'm just waiting for the next phase.

Quoting kyle blais,
o ya forgot about christmass i hate this holiday...
I'm sorry for you.

January 6, 2009 10:49:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What Frogboy said. We are all back at work as of yesterday. Now and I'm going through every single post people made on the forums and the literally "thousands" of emails we received. Don't worry, starbases will get their updates, mines are being reworked, bugs being fixed etc.

Just remember, its the same procedure we used for all the original Sins betas and it worked out just fine in the end

January 7, 2009 6:03:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

High five everyone! Wait was I supposed to say something constructive?

January 7, 2009 9:47:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you both, Blair & Frogboy, for the responses in this thread.  I'm sure everyone appreciates your ongoing efforts and the opportunity to join in the beta - anyone urging you onward with undue alacrity is just excited at the potential, largely based upon the wonderful success of a game you've given us all in the past. 

January 8, 2009 10:57:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

good!!

January 8, 2009 11:50:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Blair Fraser,
What Frogboy said. We are all back at work as of yesterday. Now and I'm going through every single post people made on the forums and the literally "thousands" of emails we received. Don't worry, starbases will get their updates, mines are being reworked, bugs being fixed etc.

Just remember, its the same procedure we used for all the original Sins betas and it worked out just fine in the end

thx for the very nice answer and I think that this is pretty much what most of us are looking for.  To the point and it explains so much with so few lines.

Keep up the awesome work and I know everything will work out for the best. 

January 9, 2009 2:38:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I would like to see a "sticky thread" in the Beta Feedback section that gets updated by Devs with issues as they are uncovered. Have the OP update the post so you don't need to look through multiple pages. I've encountered a game speed issue midgame where it justs goes way fast for a minute or two, then slows to normal. It happened approx. 4 or 5 times each game I played multiplayer via ICO with a friend.

Has this been reported? I'm not sure. The site search feature doesn't work. I've done some "site:" searching on google but didn't find it. I'm confused about the sins, stardock and impulsedriven forums. They do not seem to all contain the same content/sections. If you don't want to fix the site search why not implement a Google search box instead?

Also before Entrenchment the "Forums" link in Impulse took me to the Sins forum, not anymore, its a few clicks away... why?

January 9, 2009 2:53:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sa8aN,
Personally I would like to see a "sticky thread" in the Beta Feedback section that gets updated by Devs with issues as they are uncovered. Have the OP update the post so you don't need to look through multiple pages. I've encountered a game speed issue midgame where it justs goes way fast for a minute or two, then slows to normal. It happened approx. 4 or 5 times each game I played multiplayer via ICO with a friend.

I had this same issue as well.  during an online game (through ICO), with 6 players and on Beta.  It seemed to happen when the game was paused (once the game was unpaused), the speeds of all of the resources would increase quite a bit for 2-5 minutes, then they would revert back to the normal speed.

It did this after every pause...3 or 4 different pauses.

January 9, 2009 4:34:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For me everything sped up. I noticed it by the pace of the trade ships, they were cruisin'. Every aspect of the game was 2x normal speed or more.

January 11, 2009 10:45:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Blair Fraser,

Make more posts like this.  Speaking from experience, customers always appreciate a deverloper's presence more than visible action.  It is very easy for someone to imagine that they're being ignored, especially if they're familiar with industry-standard beta tests.  Probably one of the biggest reasons Stardock is percieved as being "in touch with customers" is the fact that its staff actually participate (albiet sparingly) in forum discussions.

What you REALLY need is a development blog.

January 12, 2009 1:22:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What you REALLY need is a development blog.

We do have dev journals, but the devs are generally too busy with actual development to be writing

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: