Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Is Galactic Civilizations 2 recommendable?

By on January 17, 2009 3:47:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Jrla21

Join Date 08/2008
+7

I was just wondering, for those of you who have played it, would GC2 be a good game to buy? And Which is the best becuase when I go to stardocks store I see 2 or 3 Galactic Civilization 2's. Also, if you could please post screenshots so I can get a feel for the game.

Locked Post 20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 17, 2009 4:02:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You'd need to post a little more about your taste in games for someone on the GC2 forums to guess whether you might like the game.

The base game is sub-titled Dread Lords. The first expansion pack is Dark Avatar, and the second is Twilight of the Arnor. IMO, the expansion packs are unusually strong for the turn-based strategy genre. They each add significant new aspects to the base game, and there's diversity of opinion on the boards about whether to jump straight into TA or spend a bit of time with DL and then DA.

The official screen shot collection is here. Tons of questions, answers, comments, gripes, praises, and unofficial screenshots are available at forums.galciv2.com.

(edit) Oh, I forgot to mention that I am very, very fond of the whole GC2 series. I've never cared about multiplayer, dislike real-time anything, and basically play only TBS genre games. Civilization 1 got me started in that rut.

January 17, 2009 4:11:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yep, Dread Lords is what you will wanna get first. Just don't try setting all the AI to Suicidal difficulty level... it hurts...

January 17, 2009 4:21:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

try the demo first

January 17, 2009 4:37:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Depending on your taste in games, YES.

If you get it, you have to get the expansions too. I couldn't possibly imagine playing Galactic Civilizations 2 without Twilight of the Arnor.

January 17, 2009 5:22:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Luckmann,
Depending on your taste in games, YES.

If you get it, you have to get the expansions too. I couldn't possibly imagine playing Galactic Civilizations 2 without Twilight of the Arnor.

I second this motion. GalCiv with Arnor is a much deeper and interesting way to play with the differening tech trees for all the races.

January 17, 2009 5:25:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My taste in Games. I am really into the Whole RPG thing. I am also a big fan of Sci fi-which is why I bought SINS. But I like any action packed game that gives me a challenge and must require me to plan strategically.

January 17, 2009 6:38:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ok. I have been around since the original Galciv 1 series and i can say that if your like is in the turn based genre then you can not do better than Galciv 2.

I would suggest that you start off with the base game (Dread lords) as this will help you get a feel for the game and is easier to pick up then launching straight into Twilight of the Arnor. TA adds so many different features that it would be easy for a new player to get lost and start disliking the game before you get to see what a great game it actually is.

If you have a minute or two i have a site that has a After Action Report that is aimed at new players to help you get an idea of what to expect. My hope is to make it easier for people like yourself to appreciate the game and get to know the features it has.

If you do get the game then stick with it as the rewards are immense

The site i mentioned  > Galciv2Guide.com

January 17, 2009 10:41:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok guys. So I decided to buy GCII. Wish me luck!

January 19, 2009 1:35:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Awesome, Jrla21.  Enjoy!   

January 19, 2009 5:44:50 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Ok guys. So I decided to buy GCII. Wish me luck!

Welcome!  we hope you enjoy yourself.

January 19, 2009 5:47:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GC2 is one of the best games I've played, and will be a part of my collection for a long time. It takes some getting used to, but once you get a feel for it you never wanna put it down.

January 25, 2009 9:41:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Easily the greatest turn based strategy game of all time.

To date.

cheers,

Kul

January 26, 2009 12:28:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Likewise bought the Ultimate GalCivII bundle...should be arriving in about a week or so +_+!!!

May 16, 2009 4:32:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A post from somewhere else on these forums:

1. GalCiv II .......... I ended up quitting for good right after I conquered an enemy in one turn, the same turn I declared war on them, by simply having my entire fleet fly right past his warships because they were unable to react because of the game's design, then by blowing up the few ships orbiting each planet one at a time, and then by sending transports right past said enemy warships (and military starbases) to said enemy planets... After that victory in which the enemy was completely unable to respond, despite having a sizable fleet, I went "This is bullshit" and quit. There were half a dozen other things which bothered me about GalCiv II, though.

I have noticed this does happen, do the expandos fix this? is there a mod that would fix this? maybe an unofficial expansion? thanks...

I have GC2 and what he describes does bother me

May 16, 2009 11:25:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
A post from somewhere else on these forums:

1. GalCiv II .......... I ended up quitting for good right after I conquered an enemy in one turn, the same turn I declared war on them, by simply having my entire fleet fly right past his warships because they were unable to react because of the game's design, then by blowing up the few ships orbiting each planet one at a time, and then by sending transports right past said enemy warships (and military starbases) to said enemy planets... After that victory in which the enemy was completely unable to respond, despite having a sizable fleet, I went "This is bullshit" and quit. There were half a dozen other things which bothered me about GalCiv II, though.

I have noticed this does happen, do the expandos fix this? is there a mod that would fix this? maybe an unofficial expansion? thanks...

I have only seen this when the AI setting is on its lower settings. At the upper levels the AI is devilishly hard and can be quite annoying on a huge map because they just wont quit.

May 16, 2009 7:54:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting EviliroN,

Dark Avatar nerfed the speed.....primarily by significant increases in the cost of propulsion.  Even with suicidal AI, Dread Lords gives the player a speed advantage.

May 16, 2009 8:17:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My two cents CalGiv 2 is an awesome game and the expansions make it even better.

It is one of the 3 games on my pc now others being Civ 4 + both expansions and Sins + expansion

May 17, 2009 3:42:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Absolutely - case closed.

May 17, 2009 3:54:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personal Favs of all time...

1)Galactic Civilizations II(and expansions)

2) Well, no use mentioning lesser experiences.

May 18, 2009 2:50:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok, first off, i never play campaigns (why I like SoaSE) so i am not commenting about them at all.

second, after playing TA, i can fully recommend it. TA makes so many GREAT changes that i won't play DL or DA anymore.

if you are getting this game, go Ultimate Edition, and play TA. patch up to or past 2.01 of course.

many of the problems i found with DL were fixed in TA.

three thumbs up

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001375   Page Render Time: