Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

{RELEASED} map updateing program v2.0.1

I have written a vb program to convert the pre 1.14 maps to 1.16

By on February 22, 2009 5:52:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

harpo99999

Join Date 02/2008
+405

I am thinking of codeing a quick & dirty vb program that will bruteforce convert all earlier maps to 1.14 & entrenchment beta 3.0.

if other mappers are interested I could make it available for general use

ie the program will search all directories for .galaxy files then read each one in, check if it need converting, if it does then add the new items into the file and write the results out if it does not then go to the next file in the list,

NEW instructions

1 download this (link is to a complete set of the utilities in my dropbox in anchive) 

2 extract downloaded file to desktop (OR any other location in the computer)

3 open location you extracted the archive to

4 create shortcuts to all exe files other than convertdata*.exe

5 use shortcuts to start utility you want to use (btw rebellion versions will work with vanilla,enterenchment and diplomacy/trinity)

OLD instructions

download the rar which is "solid" with recovery records and a comment

extract the files to any folder

run the exe (written in VB6 so no dotnet runtime load), can also run from a usb stick and has been tested on xp32bit xp64 bit vista 32bit vista 64bit win7 32bit win7 64bit

click on "find galaxies" the program looks in the "appdata\ironclad games\sins of a solar empire" and "program files\Stardock Games\Sins of a Solar Empire" directories & all subdirectories for galaxy files & creates a list in memory of them all

click on "fix galaxies" the program then goes through the list of files it checks if it s an ironclad map if it is it skips it, then it reads the map into memory, then checks the versionnumber if it is the current version it skips the map, then renames the map to *.galold so that the original map is still there & hidden from sins and the map updater, then reads through each line in the map looking for the lines that have changed from the previous version map, when it finds one it replaces the old text with the new text and continues searching and it writes each line out after checking & no change or change is written out to the galaxy file and continues with the next line until the end of file when it closes the galaxy file & checks the next etc.. etc..

there is three other buttons in the program

"exit" exits the program  (doooo!!!!)

"progfiles galaxies" shows you the program files sins directory and allows you browse (LOOK AT) the directories & show all GALAXY files

and the final button

"local apps galaxies"shows you the local applications\ironclad games\sins directory and allows you browse (LOOK AT) the directories & show all GALAXY files

now get out there and enjoy your older maps in the LATEST SIN

by the way it does also convert the map designer maps as well as galaxy forge maps

edit have extended the instructions txt files to convert version 1 maps to version 3 as well the structure txt files are the total change and available here http://www.mediafire.com/file/mrwd0fgmzom/sins map updater update txts.rar

edit I am starting on a new version that will CORRECTLY update version 0, version 1 & version 2 to version 3 maps, ie sins 1.00-1.03,1.04-1.05 and 1.10-1.14 to 1.15+ galaxies.

the latest version is in the mod updater archive which has all of my modding utilities

and the rebel tolerant beta version adds ONE extra button labeled 'rebel' that will lock it into working on the rebellion map updating in the CURRENT rebellion galaxyforge folder under the documents folder and only updating all the galaxy maps found there to the current rebellion only mapversion 4, and if used without clicking on the rebel button it works the same as the version in the mod updater set

HARPO

Locked Post 170 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 19, 2013 4:22:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the galtst, is an intermediate file for the rebellion version that includes several extra lines that have to be removed.

do you have ALL the files from the achive in the same folder?, if not then that is likely to be the cause.

harpo

February 20, 2013 12:47:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not quite understanding what I may be missing, I placed the entire contents of your updater into the same folder as all the .galaxy files.  Ran it, and still get only the .galtst.  Also I noticed that when I hit rebellion and then hit find galaxies it shows that two galaxies of the same name found in the same folder, like it is listing them twice.  I don't know what other files of the archive I may be missing.  Thank you for taking the time to help.

February 20, 2013 4:06:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ALL of my utilities can be placed in ANY (including on the desktop) folder on the computer, and will find the folder(s)/files they need to work with, but only have seen the galtst file remaining during the development in my personal testng state versions, so somehow the final step of removing the extra lines in the maps, after the initial part of adding the many extra lines, is not happening. could you tell me which maps are not working for you?

harpo

February 20, 2013 4:21:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

custom maps I had created for diplomacy, they are the only maps I have.  I don't have to have a manifest file in there too do I?

February 20, 2013 4:35:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

so far the maps do NOT need a manifest in ANY released version of sins, nor in any of my utilities.

if you want to email the maps to me(harpo99999 at hotmail.com) I can run the map updater in my development machine and email the maps back to you (btw I have and use winzip,winrar AND 7zip v920 so can handle most if not all archive formats)

harpo

February 20, 2013 6:38:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That would be going above and beyond awesomeness harpo!!!

February 21, 2013 5:31:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

have just found an issue caused by having the debug flags set in the targetsinsver.txt where it will NOT convert the maps to the final format,

to fix this, just edit the targetsinsver.txt and change the three lines that say 'debug' so that they do NOT say 'debug' eg 'debuging' or 'debugered' or 'debg', as my utilities when I am debugging/testing modules use the debug lines in the targetsinsver.txt to force debug modewhich stops some parts of the program and also outputs a detailed log of what the program is doing.

harpo

March 11, 2013 12:52:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Trying to download the Rebellion compatible version, but it just gives me a 404 error from Dropbox.

March 11, 2013 5:53:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

did you try the wincosutomise link? (http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/sins_mods/161/download)

harpo

March 12, 2013 11:31:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, that worked, didn't see that link anywhere.  

However, now I've tried the program, and run it just like it says in the main post, it makes a copy, but that's it.  It's just a copy.

I'm trying to convert a map from trinity to rebellion.

March 12, 2013 4:21:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

have you editied the targetsinsver.txt to CHANGE the lines that read 'debug' to NOT read 'debug'?

if not then please do so.

harpo

March 12, 2013 6:09:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What should I change them to?

March 13, 2013 4:06:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

anything OTHER than 'debug' the debug tests facility uses the case insensitive test for 'debug' so if the line reads anything other than 'debug' it WILL fail and then the utility will work in normal mode and NOT debugging mode.

harpo

March 13, 2013 8:29:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

YES, that worked.

Thanks a bunch, both for the great tool and your help on here.  

Now I've just got to wait for the weekend to try out the map with my friends. (Haven't gotten the urge to design maps until recently, sat down and learned, spent 4-5 hours on making a map...for Trinity as it turns out. Yeah, I'll read up before starting any big stuff in the future.)

May 28, 2013 5:58:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I downloaded the map updater from this link:

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/sins_mods/161/download

I extracted all 24 files from the zip file using 7zip to a folder on my desktop called "updater"  I am running windows 7 pro 64 bit.

When I run either the 'rebelmapupdater3.exe' or the 'sinsmapupdater3.exe' I encounter an error saying:

--------------------------------------------------------

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

--------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that a file called 'info.txt' is created after running either of the exe's in the \updater\ folder with the following text:

-------------------------------------------------------

win7, 64 bit ?True
x86 type4 coresIntel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11, GenuineIntel ID

C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local

-------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas what i could be doing wrong?

May 28, 2013 7:03:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the actual cause is the debug lines in the targesinsver.txt file, (which is a text file that tells my utilities which mod folder to user as the default destination folder and enable/disable the debugging mode).

to fix this just change the three lines that read 'debug' to something other than 'debug' eg 'debugger','buggy'   save the changed file and run again.

harpo

May 28, 2013 10:13:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

success! thanks!

June 11, 2013 3:31:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

After losing the debug lines I'm getting the message that it needs 1.1 whereas I have 1.5. Are there any workarounds for this? Not interested in accessing the new planet types, just want to make the old maps playable.

Either way thanks for all the work you've put into this.

June 11, 2013 6:37:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

in the targetsinsver.txt just edit the fifth line to read

OR rename/delete the targetsinsver.txt

harpo

June 12, 2013 2:54:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Appears to have done the trick, thank you

September 1, 2013 5:00:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Harpo, could you possibly re-upload the Rebellion-tolerant map updater? All links appear to be down.

September 1, 2013 5:55:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

lavo, there is a link on wincustomise (http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/sins_mods/161/download)

and from my dropbox (might get blocked due to downloading limits by dropbox) (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8023186/sins%20modding%20utilities/sins%20rebel%20map%20updater%20v3.zip)

both locations STILL have the file.

harpo

September 1, 2013 6:12:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That wincustomize link works, thanks a bunch!

October 19, 2013 11:53:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmm Harpo my maps aren't updating... maybe my maps are to old or I'm Missing something. If anyone could help. 

Here is the file that needs to be converted to Rebellion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxm4uzuzcspv31y/Us%20vs%20Them.galaxy

October 20, 2013 6:46:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

zarx88, if you place the map in the rebellion's(1) 'my documents\.....\GalaxyForge' folder then (2)use the beta rebellion map updater it SHOULD update the map is you (3)first click on the 'rebellion' button then (4)click on the 'find galaxies' button then (5)click on the 'fix galaxies' button.

after the map updater has run you should see several .galold files in the 'my documents\.....\GalaxyForge' folder, these files are the original maps that have been updated, I do this during development so that I do have a fallback incase of bugs and for testing. the galold files should be smaller than the new galaxy files due to the extra lines in each of the planets, but these lines ARE NEEDED so that rebellion does not dump on attempting to read the map before playing.

and during the development pre-beta stages I was also testing with mapversion1, 2 & 3 maps being coverted to mapversion 4, and the earlier version of the map updater (entrenchment era)(v2.01) could update all earlier map formats to the then current mapversion 3.

if you are still having difficulties, I could download the map have a look at it and load it into my sole comp that has steam & rebellion to do the conversion(using the above steps) and test the map in rebellion

harpo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time: