Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

{RELEASED} map updateing program v2.0.1

I have written a vb program to convert the pre 1.14 maps to 1.16

By on February 22, 2009 5:52:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

harpo99999

Join Date 02/2008
+405

I am thinking of codeing a quick & dirty vb program that will bruteforce convert all earlier maps to 1.14 & entrenchment beta 3.0.

if other mappers are interested I could make it available for general use

ie the program will search all directories for .galaxy files then read each one in, check if it need converting, if it does then add the new items into the file and write the results out if it does not then go to the next file in the list,

NEW instructions

1 download this (link is to a complete set of the utilities in my dropbox in anchive) 

2 extract downloaded file to desktop (OR any other location in the computer)

3 open location you extracted the archive to

4 create shortcuts to all exe files other than convertdata*.exe

5 use shortcuts to start utility you want to use (btw rebellion versions will work with vanilla,enterenchment and diplomacy/trinity)

OLD instructions

download the rar which is "solid" with recovery records and a comment

extract the files to any folder

run the exe (written in VB6 so no dotnet runtime load), can also run from a usb stick and has been tested on xp32bit xp64 bit vista 32bit vista 64bit win7 32bit win7 64bit

click on "find galaxies" the program looks in the "appdata\ironclad games\sins of a solar empire" and "program files\Stardock Games\Sins of a Solar Empire" directories & all subdirectories for galaxy files & creates a list in memory of them all

click on "fix galaxies" the program then goes through the list of files it checks if it s an ironclad map if it is it skips it, then it reads the map into memory, then checks the versionnumber if it is the current version it skips the map, then renames the map to *.galold so that the original map is still there & hidden from sins and the map updater, then reads through each line in the map looking for the lines that have changed from the previous version map, when it finds one it replaces the old text with the new text and continues searching and it writes each line out after checking & no change or change is written out to the galaxy file and continues with the next line until the end of file when it closes the galaxy file & checks the next etc.. etc..

there is three other buttons in the program

"exit" exits the program  (doooo!!!!)

"progfiles galaxies" shows you the program files sins directory and allows you browse (LOOK AT) the directories & show all GALAXY files

and the final button

"local apps galaxies"shows you the local applications\ironclad games\sins directory and allows you browse (LOOK AT) the directories & show all GALAXY files

now get out there and enjoy your older maps in the LATEST SIN

by the way it does also convert the map designer maps as well as galaxy forge maps

edit have extended the instructions txt files to convert version 1 maps to version 3 as well the structure txt files are the total change and available here http://www.mediafire.com/file/mrwd0fgmzom/sins map updater update txts.rar

edit I am starting on a new version that will CORRECTLY update version 0, version 1 & version 2 to version 3 maps, ie sins 1.00-1.03,1.04-1.05 and 1.10-1.14 to 1.15+ galaxies.

the latest version is in the mod updater archive which has all of my modding utilities

and the rebel tolerant beta version adds ONE extra button labeled 'rebel' that will lock it into working on the rebellion map updating in the CURRENT rebellion galaxyforge folder under the documents folder and only updating all the galaxy maps found there to the current rebellion only mapversion 4, and if used without clicking on the rebel button it works the same as the version in the mod updater set

HARPO

Locked Post 170 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 20, 2013 6:05:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It wont update to a Version 4? I'm not getting any .old files I am getting .galtst files?

October 21, 2013 12:55:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

galtst files means the debug lines in the 'targetsinsver.txt' in the same folder as the map updater need to be changed with a text editor to NOT read 'debug'. the debug lines are to turn on the debugging codes in the utilities when the lines read 'debug' (and this is NOT case sensitive) so if you alter each of the three lines so that they do NOT read 'debug' eg 'debuged', 'nodebug' etc it will then run through.

harpo

January 16, 2014 3:28:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there a version for rebellion 1.8?

January 16, 2014 4:23:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

unless there is a map version change in the rebel1.82 BETA, the rebel tolerant beta map updater should be able to update the maps AFTER changing the three targetsinsver.txt 'debug' lines to NOT read 'debug'.

harpo

February 23, 2014 1:49:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting harpo99999,

unless there is a map version change in the rebel1.82 BETA, the rebel tolerant beta map updater should be able to update the maps AFTER changing the three targetsinsver.txt 'debug' lines to NOT read 'debug'.

harpo

Did you remove it from your dropbox harpo? I'm getting a 404 error on your rebellion beta now.

February 23, 2014 5:01:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

interesting, I also have the 404 error, BUT the file is STILL in my public dropbox area, and here is a link to the latest of the rebel compatable map updaters (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8023186/sins%20modding%20utilities/rebelmapupdater3.exe), that I just got from the dropbox site page, so hopefully it will work for all (just tested with another browser and it (the links above) work, looks like dropbox went and changed things for the shared files links

harpo

April 13, 2014 11:10:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi

@harpo99999: It took me some time, but now it works: First run with Win7x64 I only got a runtime error 13, while it runs in debugging mode under a virtual WinXP x86.

Then I replaced the first two debug lines in the textfile with 1.80 and 1.82 (current beta version), but then the program says it needs Sins 1.1.0.0.

In the end, I just deleted the targetsinsver.txt and et voila: It runs and even converts the maps as it was intended to do (I'm playing the absolute gigantic SW_Galaxy Classic 1.03 map with about 400 planets right now). So, why put the targetsinsver.txt in there in the first place?

April 13, 2014 6:03:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yes the quick workaround for the sins need error message is to delete the targetsinsver.txt, BUT for rebellion the FOURTH version line is the one to change, but it might be looking for the vanilla sins exe, so the best fix for the mapupdater would be the delete file fix. the targetsinsver.txt was so that people that had the older sins re-installed without updating (or being able to update) would know that they should update, and the targetsinsver.txt is neede by the mod updater.

harpo

April 14, 2014 4:21:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Harpo, been trying to get this to work for a few days now.  Map updater opens ok and says all found files have been converted. But I just cant get them to be visible within game. 

running Win 7, Rebellion 1.8 installed via Steam.  I have put the maps into the following folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion\Galaxy

but they just don't want to appear.

I have loaded a collection of maps that I have been collecting for a number of years now onto my drop box
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14517745/Galaxy.zip

any help is greatly appreciated.

StallionMan

April 14, 2014 7:45:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the galaxyforge maps and the converted/updated maps SHOULD go into the GalaxyForge folder next to your MODS folder

( path is  My Documents\My Games\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion\GalaxyForge for rebellion and C:\Users\'user name'\AppData\Local\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\GalaxyForge for trinity/vanilla/entrenchment/diplomacy),

BUT the map designer maps SHOULD go into the MapDesigner folder (again next to the MODS folder). any extra maps that are in the program filess galaxy folder WILL BE IGNORED as the program files galaxy folder lists is read in by the galaxy.manifest not by the files in the glaxy folder(this is from observation, NOT access to the game source).

hope this helps
harpo

April 15, 2014 3:42:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Harpo, thanks for the reply  I am eager to get home and try it out!  I had been looking for the AddData path as for the older versions. 

April 15, 2014 6:15:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the appdata is for the vanilla/entrenchment/diplomacy/trinity versions only, the rebellion CHANGED the path to the my docs area (where it should have been since 2005 ie long BEFORE beta leta alone release)

harpo

April 15, 2014 3:25:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok I have the maps in the correct directory, but I dont think the Map updater has fixed them.  it finds the files and says Please wait processing, stage 2 or 2, but none of the maps appear on the right hand side to say they are fixed.

I am using the rebelmapupdater3.exe posted above.  Thanks.

April 15, 2014 7:39:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

did you change the last three lines in the targetsinsver.txt to NOT read debug?

if not then PLEASE change the three lines to NOT solely contain debug, eg debugging, debugged, buggered etc.

harpo

April 15, 2014 9:04:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks again for all your help Harpo  I had to remove the targetsinsver.txt in order to get the mapupdater to open without an error, but it did update a lot of maps!  Huge thanks once again!

April 15, 2014 9:11:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

then it WAS the three lines that have debug in them that caused the issue

harpo

July 13, 2014 7:05:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting harpo99999,

interesting, I also have the 404 error, BUT the file is STILL in my public dropbox area, and here is a link to the latest of the rebel compatable map updaters (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8023186/sins%20modding%20utilities/rebelmapupdater3.exe), that I just got from the dropbox site page, so hopefully it will work for all (just tested with another browser and it (the links above) work, looks like dropbox went and changed things for the shared files links

harpo

Hey Harpo,

I've tried updating a few maps I made for Trinity some years ago. (Galaxy Forge)

I downloaded your EXE using the updated link you posted and put the maps (and your EXE) in the GalaxyForge folder under My Documents. Your program finds the maps correctly, but updates none. (It says 0 out of X maps updated and no maps appear in the right column.)

Targetsinsver.txt is not on my PC.

I've uploaded my maps (link below) but would appreciate it if you could tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bisjnszyt5aniw/SOASE%20maps%20Amplifiction.zip

July 13, 2014 8:34:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

amplifiction, the galaxy files in the zip ARE mapversion 3 (current for vanilla/entrenchment/diplomacy/trinity and so would NOT get updated for a trinity install, but if you are trying to update trinity maps to rebellion, then it should work if you click on the rebellion button first, BUT if the rebellion button is greyed out then it means that your rebellion game install is not found from the registry pointers to the rebellion game, but during the testing I updated the files anyway, and have uploaded them into https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8023186/sins%20mods/amplifictionrebel.zip

harpo

July 14, 2014 7:14:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you, Harpo!

August 29, 2014 8:28:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey, guys.

Just wanted to let you know I have uploaded an updated bundle of the converted maps, for those who are interested.

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/sins_maps/402/

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001657   Page Render Time: