Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Let me get this straight.

By on February 23, 2009 8:12:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SnoopDaggo

Join Date 06/2008
+1

The mods are banning people, for life none the less, when this game is in dire need of online players.

The player "Sins 101" "Ignorethisbitch" or whatever his name is, had some lulz with some people on ICO. Those same people come and bitch here in the forums and he gets the hammer!. I mean, why don't you all whiners grow a pair and suck it up or, at least use the damm /ignore command. Its not that hard.

Quoting Blair Fraser,

He's been banned. His account was removed and his IP tracked. We'll permanently block it when we reset the server for the next patch. If anyone else does this, please report to support@ironcladgames.com and we'll ban them as well.

We also added some other surprises for them that I'm sure they won't find so funny.

It seems that he could not even appeal.

As if that was not outrageous enough we are talking about a game that after a year of its release is buggy to say the least. How many games did he ruin 2, 3,   5 or 6 may be?. What about all of HIS ONLINE GAMES ruined by minidumps, sync problems, bugs, disconnects, random ICO downtime? What about  the ones he DIDN'T EVEN GET TO PLAY due to a large portion of players inability to host?.

What about his ruined games?

Who should we ban?

What about the $30-$49 he paid for his game key?

A week or two ban period would be punishment enough, but...

"His account was removed and his IP tracked. We'll pertmanently block it when we reset the server for the next patch..."      

- Stardock

What really pisses me off is the fact that online play would be a lot more enjoyable if Stardock allocated more resources to actually fix the game. Online play is not going to be fixed by banning the random troll.

I'm asking Stardock to please lift his ban or at least make it less severe. After all, he paid money for his game.

Locked Post 66 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 23, 2009 8:39:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It doesn't give him the right to be an ignorant tard-monkey.  Not all the money spent in the world is enough justice for inappropriate behavior.  Learn how to act, not spend money, and then you may be a worthy member of any community, not just an online game community.  It is merely that, a game. It is not worth degrading yourself over, nor any other member of this commuinty, which after all, is a group of PEOPLE behind a screen and keyboard.

Superdog

February 24, 2009 1:50:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

wow lefamaster great post

February 24, 2009 2:03:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I love stardock more then ever. +1 love,screw karma.

That'll teach him to spam Death to spammers!

February 24, 2009 2:08:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SnoopDaggo, why are the one defending his actions and why is he not in here saying ummm...sorry or anything??? He should BE the one begging and pleading IC and who ever else he insulted. If he want an appeal then send an email to IC! IMO, he doesnt get a second chance. I think if the Devs had to step in, then he burned any and every bridge already.

Anyhow, I think your words will fall on deaf ears. Its something he should be doing in person. Unless you are the fool who got banned.

February 24, 2009 2:49:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have the logs from his spamming. It wasn't just "lulz". It was long periods of insanity and days of people reporting his behavior and I also experienced it myself while trying to test Entrenchment. It shouldn't take a warning from someone to know that this is unacceptable behavior. What kind of appeal could possibly be made? My cat sat on the keyboard and wouldn't get off? No, it was pure malice.

How is the community supposed to grow when there are people ruining the experience for them as soon as they step into the lobby and try to get a game going?

Entire groups of people ,who also paid for the game, were having their experience marred by a single individual. Should I value the dollars they paid less than his?

If he wasn't satisifed with his purchase he could have dealt with it like a civilized human being, not an ignorant, immature brat with a undeserved sense of entitlement and the kind of boldness than only appears behind the anonymity of the internet. He could have made his case on the forums, support@ironcladgames.com, support@stardock.com or voted against us by not purchasing any of our future products. Which is fine with me because, to be honest, I don't want his money. Now let me explain why - and its not just because he affects the experience of our well behaved customers.

When we decided to relax our DRM policy (a couple examples: no DRM on the DVD and allowing multiple people to play on a LAN with one copy) it was based on the fact that DRM hinders customers people who paid for the game. We were willing to bet that we would gain more by treating them like honest and decent people and that there enough of this type of people to make a satisfactory profit which would allow us to continue to make games. The loss of one or even thousands of dishonest or indecent people won't make me lose any sleep and won't affect Ironclad's bottom line because either A.) they didn't pay for the game in the first place or B.) the majority of our customers don't fall into this category.

So spread the word. If you don't behave like a civilized human being you will banned permanently. I don't have time to be dealing with this kind of behavior so I will simply query your IP and hit the ban button. We have a team of 11 people and I'm sure the majority of you would prefer us to be developing fixes and new content than dealing with this kind of foolishness. So yes, if you want Ironclad to devote more resources to improving online play or anything else, don't behave like this. Now let's move onto a somewhat related topic:

We are also nearly 100% sure that this same individual was also using fake cd numbers to generate multiple accounts which is obviously not condoned by the EULA and is suggestive of illegal behavior that we may find should we investigate further. This could have much more serious repercussions for him than a simple banning. I know how he does it and so do many others but it has not been changed because it only hinders valid customers. This is all in line with our policies on DRM. If this keeps up we'll be forced to increase security measures and bring out the ban stick on a whole lot more people. All it takes is for me to flick a switch and thousands of people will lose their accounts. The only reason I haven't done so so far was because most of them are behaving themselves and helping to keep the multiplayer community at decent levels. I know your dirty little secret and I've known it for a long time because it was a deliberate choice and just because I refuse to act on it now, it doesn't mean I won't in the future. It's my hope that policies like this will help convince some of you to make the right choice in the end.

Don't let me down and don't force my hand on this. Behave.

February 24, 2009 3:31:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

While I get the gist of what was going on, is there something more informative as to what occured? Another thread or something?

February 24, 2009 3:36:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hack78, here are some other topic I assume are about the same person:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/340678

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/340271

February 24, 2009 4:28:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What really pisses me off is the fact that online play would be a lot more enjoyable if Stardock allocated more resources to actually fix the game.

Snoop:

Firstly, the developers are Ironclad, not Stardock.

Secondly, I don't think you could possibly know how much effort and "resources" they are putting into fixes now, or else you wouldn't have said what you did. The mere fact they are beta testing is an example of a company going the extra mile so they can prevent releasing a buggy game to the public.

February 24, 2009 7:06:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Blair, thank you for providing us with more information.  So he didn't merely do this as a one time event, but several times over several days and he was a pirate?  He was leaching off of the $40 I spent to buy the game?  In either case alone, a perma-ban is justified.  Thank you for laying down the law.

February 24, 2009 7:16:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It occurred on multiple days and in total there was a substanital amount of time spent doing nothing but spamming (we log the times everything is said as well so I can add the total time quite easily). I would copy/paste some of the logs as an example but I don't want to make public anything the non-offenders were saying. As I said above, I don't have 100% evidence he was a pirate but I have near 100% evidence he was using fake keys to create multiple accounts (which he may have elected to do even if he owned the game).

February 24, 2009 7:36:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Legal custumer or illegal that is irrelivent. If he acts like dick he should be threated as one.

February 24, 2009 7:46:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is too much tolerance of sociapathic behaviour in online gaming, the smell of money normally comes first.

Blair I have to praise you, from all I've heard that is exactly the kind of stance I'd like to see other online services take.

Appeal?  Haha, unless he gives the phone number of the theropist he is now seeing to start feeling empathy for other human beings then screw him.

February 24, 2009 8:40:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In today's culture of "customer is always right" and people thinking that because they paid for something they're allowed to do whatever they want, Blair's (and IC's) stance on this kind of thing is refreshing.

February 24, 2009 8:53:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As an employee of Stardock, I applaud and give a rousing 'Huzzah!' to Blair and all the hard working folks at IronClad. One should not need a warning to not be a spammer/jerk/id-iot.

February 24, 2009 9:28:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have to agree with Annatar, i've been a stardock fan ever since Frogboy said "if you're a yerk, i don't want your money" (or something like that).

February 24, 2009 12:30:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My understanding is he paid for the retail game.

Like buying a car, this does not mean you can be an idiot on the road for your own strange sense of humor, and not expect to get your licence revoked.  You get to keep the car, but parked in your garage, you can turn it on, just can't take it anywhere.

yes, we need people online, ones with manners and intelligence, after all, it is an RTS, good job blair!

February 24, 2009 12:46:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Behave.

That's what she said!

Sorry, had to.  Anyway, great response Blair.  I have been very impressed with the level of involvement you all have with the community.

@ Snoop:  You sure you aren't Sins101?

February 24, 2009 1:25:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Heh, I don't think this thread got the intended response of the OP.

February 24, 2009 1:30:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
Heh, I don't think this thread got the intended response of the OP.

He too will eventually grow out of the "rage against the machine" stage and learn the ways of the Real World.

February 24, 2009 2:03:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Even though I do not play MP, I applaud ICs stance. 

Quoting Annatar11,
He too will eventually grow out of the "rage against the machine" stage and learn the ways of the Real World.

Heh, I doubt that.  But then again I am one cynical bastard.   A product of the 'Real World', if you will.

February 24, 2009 2:09:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would question why he chose to defend this person at all.  I'm not saying he knows this person or is this person but the sheer level of stupidity that this Ban King showed make me question how Snoopdaggo would think it was just funny or "lulz" whatever that means.  I may be biased considering Snoop's history with some of us though.  Ohh well.  The ban was definitely warranted

[_]-Greyfox

February 24, 2009 2:11:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting VarekRaith,
Even though I do not play MP, I applaud ICs stance.

Same here.

February 24, 2009 3:05:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well said. This kind of thing ruins the fun for everyone.

February 24, 2009 3:08:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Two things: I use to work in retail, and as a manager in retail too.  You, all too often, get these "type" of customers too, like the guy that was banned.  Think that if they bought something, they have a right to verbally abuse the employees and even upset other customers.  When I was a lowley clerk, "my" manager use to say "The customer was always right", so we employees (and other customers) just had to take abuse from the jerks regularly, even from one I remember that ended up had been writting checks on a closed account (retail pirate of sorts).

The FIRST day I became a manager, I told my employees "Treat the customers like gold, and if there's a jerk, I'll kick them out".  And I did.  The jerks would say things like "I'll never shop here again", and I'd say thngs like "We all thank you for that".  At first I got repremands from the main office; almost thought I'd get fired my first month.  But the employees loved me for it, never called in sick and worked twice as hard, and even the customers thanked me some times.  So the higher-ups just let me be (they could'nt argue with profits and happy employees/customers). 

Second:  Because of the lack of DRM, and the ability to play on a Lan, two of my friends bought Sins.  They would not go near Spore.  And I just got Dawn of War II (I've got to do SOMETHING till Entrenchenment gold), and because of the strict Steam/DRM stuff, none of my friends are getting it (but are getting Entrenchment for sure).

So, yes Blair, I think you and your companies policies are good for everyone.

February 24, 2009 3:14:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The FIRST day I became a manager, I told my employees "Treat the customers like gold, and if there's a jerk, I'll kick them out".  And I did.  They would say things like "I'll never shop here again", and I'd say "We all thank you for that".  The employees loved me for it, and worked twice as hard, and even the customers thanked me some times. 

That's awesome. And bravo to you as well on that.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time: