Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Want to know why people pirate video games?

By on February 27, 2009 4:16:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Elisius

Join Date 02/2009

They have to deal with the huge pile of garbage that is Impulse!

"so you are telling me that in order to download your software, i have to download other software, after downloading IE7...."

"then after jumping through those hoops, Impulse wont start up....."

Your forums are filled with paying customers who cant use the product they purchased.

Next time i'll wait for the torrent and skip this epic nightmare.

It doesnt pay to be honest I guess. 

Locked Post 269 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 27, 2009 4:21:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I get the vibe your venting. But have you even tried to email support@stardock.com ?

February 27, 2009 4:31:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"so you are telling me that in order to download your software, i have to download other software, after downloading IE7...."

You mean how pirates have to download P2P software in order to pirate software right?

February 27, 2009 4:52:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

LOL

Being okay with piracy = Near future when game developers can't afford to create their games.

Yep, that's sure what I want...

February 27, 2009 5:01:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does the game even run on Linux?  If not, which I assume is the case, why on God's green Earth would you not have IE7 installed?  Sure, use Firefox or something else 99% of the time, but you still have to update Windows and occasionally certain websites only like it.

But yeah, topic post is hilarious.  'I pirate by making huge downloads with torrent programs that I installed and configured because Impulse is too hard to download and configure.' 

February 27, 2009 5:09:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Mazuo,
Does the game even run on Linux?  If not, which I assume is the case, why on God's green Earth would you not have IE7 installed?  Sure, use Firefox or something else 99% of the time, but you still have to update Windows and occasionally certain websites only like it.

But yeah, topic post is hilarious.  'I pirate by making huge downloads with torrent programs that I installed and configured because Impulse is too hard to download and configure.' 

I had my computer formatted the other day and never installed ie 7, so I was in fact surprised it was required.

and the topic is somewhwat hilarious, since impulse is a fair bit easier to handle than torrent software.

the only reason I could think of to pirate games is out of sheer spite for all the anti-piracy stuff included in some games. but then, I can mostly live without those games and don't have to resort to this, because I don't play that many games that much anyway.

February 27, 2009 5:24:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And of course, Sins is a game that is so EASY to pirate...

February 27, 2009 6:08:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The real reason people pirate is because Empires put bounty out on eachother.

Seriously though, don't Pirate software, if you worked a 12 hour day and never got paid, would you go back to work?

February 27, 2009 6:09:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yet another excuse for piracy. But the pirates don't have access to post 1.05 patches, which means you'll be playing an inferior game without multiplayer.

BTW, did you know that there is a trial going on in Sweden against the founders of pirate bay? It's not looking too good for the prosecutor last i heard, and even were these people convicted, the site wouldn't go anywhere.

February 27, 2009 8:00:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

it's alot easier getting patches once u manage to get impulse running.. believe me "i tried it"

actually pirating sins beyond v1.05 is very possible... they'll just upload the entire "for example" 1.15 version of soase... and since soase is only 1/2 gigs or so big....download wont last that long

i firmly stand agasint pirating and not buying.... but i've also had troubles getting Impulse to work, and i did try to just pirate patches at that time tough.... mainly after reading solutions on this forum that didnt work or werent optionable for me...

BUT finaly got it working... after a week or so... with.. guess what... help from a pirate site (when checking for patches) noticedon day 7, hour later Impulse was running"

huge torrent programs? there's this few companies that distribute huge programs... with a build-in microwave etc.   all useless stuff. theres also a few clients that are pretty small and easy to use.. Utorrent etc...

again i'll mention i firmly stand against pirates that dont buy and i did bought SoaSE, for those of you that dont understand true piracy and want all of us dead

February 27, 2009 8:17:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting NomadWarriorSoul,
LOL

Being okay with piracy = Near future when game developers can't afford to create their games.

Yep, that's sure what I want...

Utter rubish it's been sputed for so long the video games industry should have died along with the dinosaurs.  Piracy or to be more accuracte violating copyright(s) has been going on since the days of the AppleII, hell they had swap meets where you could copy stuff.  The internet and mass adoption of broadband didn't stop market stalls selling the latest 'Blobby' disk loaded with games, apps and utilities like they were going out of fashion in the 90's.

Yet I'm expected to believe that somehow things have changed?  Well yes, they have and I quite agree that the places in Russia, China and else where that are pretty much fabrication plants chruning out fake products, which end up appearing all over the world is pretty bad.  I also agree that places like that should be nuked from orbit.

But don't for a second fall for the propoganda that P2P is killing the video games industry.  Even the most popular torrent with 100,000 seeds and tripple that in leechers is absolutley nothing compared to the, for profit, output of a single dubious fab plant...

No.  Piracy isn't killing PC gaming.  What is killing PC gaming are the simple facts that when a game tanks because it's fundementally flawed the press release isn't "We released a crap game" its "failed due to being the most heavily pirated game ever" combined with the other fact that console gamers not only outnumber us but are more than happy to swallow wholesale crap like Halo (which in PC terms was mediocraty personified and brought nothing new to the FPS table) in vast numbers.

February 27, 2009 9:40:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Impulse is really not some massive burden as some try to make it out to be. For the overwhelming majority of people it "just works", and for the rest, just contact support@stardock.com and they'll gladly get you going.

As others have pointed out, piracy would require third-party programs too, so that's a non-argument, and IE should always be kept up to date on any windows machine even if you don't use it, for security reasons (IE7 was pushed out as a critical update for XP more than a year ago).

People can make all the excuses for piracy they want, but that will never make it justified or right. At the end of the day you're still taking the fruits of someone else's efforts without providing the compensation they've asked for such. And if you think a game is bad, why is it even worth playing even for free? If it's worth your time, then it's worth your money. And if you don't have the money to spare, then maybe you'd better be looking to fix that situation rather than playing games.

February 27, 2009 9:52:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

While I don't agree with piracy there may be a legitimate problem here with IE7 and Windows. I speak from experience with XP Home. I've had to uninstall IE7 inorder for components of the Windows OS to work properly for OTHER users on my home PC. It all works fine for me logged in but if other members of the family login they can run into scripting errors that do not allow them to run certain programs that need Internet Explorer to work properly. They are all set as admin users too.

Google "XP Home Scripting Error IE7" and there are many discussions about this type of error. The only solution that worked for me was to roll back to IE6.

February 27, 2009 9:54:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The reason I see pirating existing is a lot of games just completely suck ass, and they cost $50+.  Hell, look at Sins when it first released.  It was $40, I got it release day at Gamestop and it was mostly a mess.  It didnt have a campaign, the online was unstable, and the AI was crap.  It was a fun game, I'll give it that, but for $40 I felt ripped off.  Look at entrenchment...  On release day (Original release, in November), the beta was a complete mess too.  I'll give Ironclad or Stardock credit for owning up and delaying the release.  Now, look at RA3 or CnC3.  Both were shit, and both never got better.  I bought RA3 for 35$ on sale, and regretted every dollar of it.  Some games are great, but most are only ok, and for every good game there are 5 bad ones trying to steal your money.  Since most games dont have demos, it can be hard to find a way through the marketting BS to get a good game.  Pirating basically lets you try the game before you waste your money on it.

While I dont actively download games, I will try a pirated game at a LAN party or friends house.  If the game is good enough for that, 99% of the time I'll be buying it soon.

If game companies really want to do away with pirating, they should make better demos, and give a return policy, or admit that some games arent that good, and charge less for them.  I can definately think of a few games recently I've purchased at full price that are worth the cost, namely DOW2, Company of Heroes, Fallout 3 and Sins.  Other then that, most have been dissapointments.

Almost any other product I can return for a refund (minus restock).  Even movies I've been known to leave early and get a refund, or a free ticket.  I dont see why games should be held to a different standard.

February 27, 2009 10:26:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Entrenchment was officially released last wednesday, what you're referring to is the BETA version for pre-orderers. BETA kinda implies that it's not release ready, don't you think? Also, C&C3 i've heard a lot of complaints, but i never felt ripped of by it, IMO it's better Tiberian Sun, only problem i have with it how they changed Tiberium, but thats just my opinion.

February 27, 2009 10:39:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The only games I "pirate" are games that aren't sold new and factory sealed anymore.

When you buy from a  used game store, not one penny  of that reaches the guys who made that game.

You want to end Piracy?  Go tell Gamestop and EB Games to shut their doors.

If it's just not going to profit the maker AT ALL, why pay for it AT ALL?

Like if I want, say, Tiny Tank for the PSOne... I'm not even sure those guys still exist as a company, and beyond that I doubt Tiny Tank is being sold for any profit to Sony, the game's publishers, or its developers.

So then why pay for it if it's not supporting the makers?  I'll just go grab it off torrent or something.

And BTW I do like Impulse, I did buy Sins outright, and I'm considering getting Entrenchment once I see more.

Maybe some ObjectDesktop stuff too...

February 27, 2009 11:01:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

lol how can you get Homeworld 2 without pirating it?

But yeah, Like i said before, Pirated Sins, Enjoyed it so much i bought it and been had entrenchment since beta 1, Look forward to buying all the expansions, and even Sins of a solar Empire 2, if it ever comes.

February 27, 2009 11:15:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Never pay for anything. Be a pirate. LIVE THE LIFE!!!

http://www.2kgames.com/pirates/pirates/home.php

February 27, 2009 11:16:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting -Ue_Carbon,
I get the vibe your venting. But have you even tried to email support@stardock.com ?

In my case I did. And I have not heard back from them either. This started last night.  This impulse is garbage and they do not tell you about it until AFTER they take your money. I was looking around here to see if any body else was having problems with the site and I guess I am not the only one.

I bought the original game just a few days ago at Best Buy on a whim. To give credit where credit is due this a great game. A hell of a lot of fun no doubt. So I started looking to see if there were any add on's and found the v1.05 patch and got that. Then I found the Entrenchment expansion and down loaded it and that it is where the problem began,

Because my original copy is store bought there is no electronic record of the game so impulse does not have the original serial number. And it will not let me add it. With out the original serial number added to impulse it will not let me down load the expansion even though it is listed as available in my account.

Impulse lets you type in your own serial number for the retail CD but it will not recognize it. When I first bought the game there was an advertisement that said register your serial with stardock and you could down load the game in the future if you had problems or lost the Cd. I tried to register the serial # here. It would not accept it here it either. I am aware that it is case sensitive. Does not seem to matter. It will not take the serial #

There is a downloadable registry fix file for invalid registration problems with impulse at support that I tried and still no luck. Impulse just keeps giving me an error message that says my serial # is not a valid stardock ID.

I thought the same thing as the OP after fighting with it trying to take my ID. This why some people say the hell with it why should I jump through all these hoops and enforced registration when I can just use a pirate torrent.

February 27, 2009 11:41:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

People pirate games because (IMO) they regret for those dollars/euros spent for the game.

Now, if you are smart enough, you will download a demo, watch some trailers, gameplays BEFORE you decide to buy the game. If it's good enough for you, you will buy it.

Message to all pirates: It's up to you. If you gonna pirate things - don't be surprised when you gonna see the police is looking for you (you might get tracked, you know, this is a modern age we live in now).

If you gonna stay still - smart choice.

AND HOW THE F*CK DO YOU PIRATES EXPECT TO GET THE GAME IF EVERYBODY WERE PIRATING? WHO WILL PAY THE DEVELOPERS OF THE GAME? DEVELOPERS WITH NO MONEY = NO GAME!!! JEEZZZZZZ

February 27, 2009 12:04:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

lol how can you get Homeworld 2 without pirating it?

amazon.com. $20. Bought mine just last year. I checked it's still available.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_vg?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=homeworld+2

February 27, 2009 12:10:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Now that I'm not a high school student without income anymore, I can afford to pay for my games and I gladly do so. There are still cases where I don't feel any shame for pirating a game :

- There's no demo and I want to try it before I buy

- The game is old and hard to find in stores - Even if I do find it, my money probably isn't going to the original developper

Services like Steam and Impulse make it much easier than before to buy and install games. No need to even get out of the comfort of your home. Streamlined, universal install and update process, no need to search the net for patches or use flaky built-in updaters, etc. No need to carry around discs than be damaged, if I want my games on another computer I simply log into my account. I'm a big fan of the system. Of course, my dearest hope is that if (or when) they go down one day, we will still be able to play all the games we bought with them.

February 27, 2009 12:17:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pirating is unacceptable full stop. If you cant afford something, get off your fat backside and GET A JOB. Its realy that easy, if you cant get a job due to current economic problems or whatever, then live without. You wouldnt steal from a shop would you?

February 27, 2009 12:18:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

DELETED BY USER.

Impulse is great and is the best way to get digital games. By far better than the other digital downloads i have tried.

Plus it is far easier to use then P2P downloading and installing and cracking of games and then worring about viruses on top.

February 27, 2009 12:28:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AntiCommie,
Look at entrenchment...  On release day (Original release, in November), the beta was a complete mess too. 

I was going to mock you, but you're doing a good enough job on your own.

February 27, 2009 12:31:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Astax,

You mean how pirates have to download P2P software in order to pirate software right?

Not to mention the FACT that some torrents can take DAYS or even WEEKS to finish if not seeded well, vs downing the game from the devs in > hour. And don't give me any BULLSH*T that ALL the games you've pirated are well seeded and finish in a matter of an hour or so. I've seen enough torrents to know better. Ya, Ya, Ya you use Linux for downing and get better speeds but it still depends on seeds.

there's also the time you spend trying to optimize your torrent down speed,

And I suppose Elisius that your telling us you've NEVER downed a game torrent that the hacker royally screwed up the crack or f*cked up the keygen so that after you spent hours downing it, you were left with a piece of garbage that wouldn't play leaving you to hunt down another crack or keygen. Again, I've seen enough to know better, and if you haven't your a torrent n00b who knows nothing about what he's talking.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: