The Novalith is the worst superweapon in the game. The new Kotsura with the phase node making is the most useful, with the Deliverance only slightly behind.
- If you nuke an enemy colony with a novalith, you still have to go colonize it or he'll just get it back.
- At the stages of the game where the Novalith comes into play, you need 2 to destroy any upgraded non-asteroid.
- At those same stages, the majority of income is from trade, not planet income, so losing said one colony isn't going to hurt.
- The only planet worth nuking is the homeworld for the bonuses (including allegiance, no homeworld = 35% max allegiance everywhere).
- But even though you'll know where the homeworld is from early scouting, the player can easily move it before or after, and good luck sneaking scouts in constantly to try and find the second one.
- You still have to be able to destroy the enemy fleet, and all the defenses around the nuked planet remain intact. Which means, to colonize it you'd still need to be able to defeat its defenders. And if you could do that, you don't need the Novalith anyway.
On the other hand, both the Kotsura and the Engine help you destroy the enemy fleet/defenders, at which point you become able to take any colony you wish.
- Kotsura allows you to jump anywhere, and disables orbital buildings for 3 minutes, ships/starbases for ~15 (I think?) seconds and damages slightly. Main thing is the jump anywhere and 3 minute disable on stacked repair bays and such.
- Deliverance Engine takes away enemy culture bonus (no +12% damage for Vasari from culture, oops) and gives you yours (+6% mitigation, which is roughly ~15% damage resistance), and as Astax mentioned a 25% damage bonus for 3 minutes.
Both of these give you an edge against the main threat: the enemy fleet. Once that's gone, you have free reign to take any colony.