Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Star Wars Rebellion

By on April 2, 2009 10:46:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hawawaa

Join Date 09/2006
+30

Well what do you think of this game? What ya liked and didn't like about it.

Locked Post 30 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 3, 2009 3:56:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I loved the copy I had. Played it heaps. It didn't have any cut scenes in my version for some strange reason.....

I only ever played the computer though as

1) Getting 2 players together back then was an issue due to lack of network connectivity

2) Having the time required to play it (since we both had to fast forward for that bit to work....)

I was hoping Empire At War would be more like it, but with the current visuals of EaW....

The battles could have had a lot more depth to them and the star system map didn't match cannon (as e.g. viewed in the front of the more recent novels etc...)

But all in all, it occupied a lot of my time in the late 90s....

April 3, 2009 9:57:37 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Keep them coming and also I am giving out karma... that gets some more answers.

April 3, 2009 10:13:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I really liked the mission system the game had.  You could send out your heroes on espionage, sabatage, recons, uprisings etc.  Your characters also went of on scripted events (stuff that happened in the movies), which would usually confer them bonuses (Like Luke going to Dagobah to train with Yoda, he'd come back with a higher rank).  I also liked how you could engage your enemies in covert and overt warfare.  Sadly, I lost the CD long ago, at the sametime I lost MoO2 as well...

April 3, 2009 10:39:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Easily the best and most realistic strategy game I ever played.  Sure you could only play against 1 other player or the AI, but did you really need 4 or 5 opponents with the variety of ways there was to take out the enemy planets? 

I loved how getting information on the enemy was never a matter of opening up the fog of war and just moving the view over that part of the map.  Always cursed the AI for sabotaging.  Got frustrated with those little 1 and 2 ship fleets that it had a habit of bouncing around a sector I owned looking for information.

I, too, was hoping Empire at War was going to be Rebellion with ground combat but was sadly mistaken.  Ground combat would really be the only thing that could make that game better.

Still have my copy too, even if the computer I played it on fried it's brain and the other two can't play it.

April 3, 2009 10:57:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ya I am going to order a Rebellion Copy soon... Cause I have no idea where my old copy went like Stronghold... BUT I FOUND BATTLEZONE WOOT! Ok I will try to keep up on karma... ah so far I giving karma on Galciv2 and elemental so ya just double check each site kinda going back and fourth.

April 3, 2009 11:33:05 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I don't have it but I do have Gold Pack Star Wars: Empire at War. I do like playing Star Wars games so is it good buy then?

Mmm must have I will Mmm  

Saint Mina of Ophelia VII of Order of the Bloody Rose of Orders Militant of Adepta Sororitas

April 3, 2009 12:12:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What was the really old school 1st person shooter game that was Star Wars?  You were not a Jedi.  Was it Front Lines?  Battle Lines?  I spent many an hour playing that game.  It was out around the same time as Doom and Duke Nukem.

April 3, 2009 2:47:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No it was a turn base strategy game that came out in 1998. Its 1v1 rebels vs empire. You try to take over the galaxy.

You had Fleets, Orbital bombardment, Invasions.

Characters which level up in different skills and even special foreces, (skills including espionage, combat, leadership(Admiral, general, and commander), research, diplomacy, saboteurs, reconnaissance, make an uprising on enemy held planets, (Kill emprie only) or capture enemy characters using your main force to do it and decoys to help you get the job done, and recruiting new characters.) Your force sensitive users can find others that are affected by the force and train them to be Jedi Masters which make them BA!

Manage planets ie power output and mining.

Research better production facilities, troops, ships (fighters, bombers, frigates to capital ships, death star, carriers, transports) and planetary defenses. 

Tactical space combat.

Thats just to name a few features.

April 3, 2009 2:48:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Basically there are some features in that game I would love to have in GalCiv3.

April 3, 2009 3:02:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Funny, I've been wanting to play the game again recently.  I found the CD-Case but I haven't found the CD.

April 3, 2009 3:06:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I have the same problem hell I HAVE THE MANUAL and the POSTER! Its just cruel....

April 3, 2009 3:16:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

love it, wish they would make another one but it was apparently considered a failure along with star wars themed street fighter. played multiplayer at a friends house and it was really fun even though he always killed me.

April 3, 2009 3:44:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Got frustrated with those little 1 and 2 ship fleets that it had a habit of bouncing around a sector I owned looking for information.

or just doing general bombardment taking out all of your production facitilities on the planet(s)...but if you owned the entire sector, then usually it helped keep the sector yours because they werent taking out military targets only...

April 3, 2009 7:29:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The interface really sucked, but I liked the game overall. Luckly I still have the cd, no idea what happened to the manual though.

April 3, 2009 11:54:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

DUDE I JUST FOUND IT! WOOT! ... ah my friend had it... damn I stupid... Well at least I can play it now.

April 4, 2009 12:18:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My buddy and I play it every time he comes back into town, such a great game.  Yes i was one of those that hoped Empires at War would be a rebirth of them game but it failed.  What bugged me in EAW was the fact you had limits in battles and the ground combat was horrible.

Moo II is also one of those that another friend of mine and I play all the time, go go hotseat game

Anyways, rebellion is still my favorite SW game by far, even today it is highly enjoyable.  I remember a game where i was the empire against my buddy and I did the rebel tactics for winning the game, taking transports and colonizing the outer rim and building mass construction sites and shipyards.  Building Imperial SD's in 16 days .  Then when he realized I was doing this he decided to try to take Coruscant, too bad he didn't recon, 200 squads of TIE Bombers hurt  , definately backed by 2 SSD, and alot of other ships.

April 4, 2009 12:40:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Loved that game.  You could make a mod of it for Sins very easily.  Maybe even EvilleJedi might let you use his StarWars ships if you ask VERY NICELY...he is doing amazing work for Sins right now.

The only thing that always struck me odd about Rebellion was the Death Star.  When you used it, all the planets would rebel against you.......?!?!?  You'd think it would be the opposite effect.

April 4, 2009 12:56:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remember that game! I like it but I really hated how long it took to get things moving. It took ages and AGES, hundreds of turns just to pop out one star destroyer.

That poster was awesome...

April 4, 2009 2:21:11 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Star Wars Rebellion was a cool concept, but I just couldn't get into it.  Part of the problem was that it was a real-time strategy game -- which has never been my baliwick (I've always preferred turn-based strategy games) -- but also the interface was so byzantine that, at least for me, it became an excercise in frustration trying to do anything.  

Still, the game had some neat ideas, and I credit it with trying to do things a little differently from your typical strategy fare.  

April 4, 2009 10:05:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ya loving the game again. Also EvilleJedi is sweet with all his mods he does. Star Wars Warlords for Homeworld 2 ohh thats a good one. Its now on sins too its great! Opps I gave some people 2 karma cause its showed 0 karma so I was like crap heres karma, then it updates and now I gave them 2... oh well they got something to smile about...

April 4, 2009 10:36:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I remember that game! I like it but I really hated how long it took to get things moving. It took ages and AGES, hundreds of turns just to pop out one star destroyer.

If is bloody big ship. It took ages to build as there were lots of bits on it. To quote

But he asks the impossible! I need more men!

Billbringi and the other shipyards have multiple components to them. It isn't unreasonable for the game to expect you to do the same is it???

Star Wars Rebellion was a cool concept, but I just couldn't get into it. Part of the problem was that it was a real-time strategy game -- which has never been my baliwick (I've always preferred turn-based strategy games) -- but also the interface was so byzantine that, at least for me, it became an excercise in frustration trying to do anything.

I think it is much more closely aligned to the TBS then RTS. It's just that the turn speed was pre-defined....

April 5, 2009 1:44:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Piznit,
What was the really old school 1st person shooter game that was Star Wars?  You were not a Jedi.  Was it Front Lines?  Battle Lines?  I spent many an hour playing that game.  It was out around the same time as Doom and Duke Nukem.

Are you talking about the star wars Jedi Knight games where you're Kyle Katarn (he starts out not a jedi, but becomes one later in the game)?

I also really loved Rebellion, It was always so depressing that by the time I got some HUGE KILLER FLEET assembled, the AI was pretty much defeated so I couldn't see it in action.   To remedy that, I always took over 199/200 planets, Built them up perfectly, then would make all the rim worlds hate me and pull off my troops    There were some epic battles where they'd send TONS of either Super star destroyers or Bulwark Battlecruisers against my equally impressive fleet.    The bad thing about this though was that with all the ships on both sides of the battlefield, the scale of the field would be so massive that it took 10+ minutes for my FIGHTERS to reach their fighters in the middle

Oh and if anyone here has vista 64 bit and so can't play rebellion (16-bit) anymore, Virtual PC with WinXP installed works nicely!

April 5, 2009 3:23:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,
Opps I gave some people 2 karma cause its showed 0 karma so I was like crap heres karma, then it updates and now I gave them 2... oh well they got something to smile about...

Paid ya back +1.

April 5, 2009 9:29:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Mmm Star Wars I love Mmm 

I play Star Wars: Empire at Wars: Gold Pack.

I like Homeworld too.

So does that count in getting a karma, yes or no?

Saint Mina of Ophelia VII of Order of the Bloody Rose of Orders Militant of Adepta Sororitas

April 5, 2009 8:31:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Just double checked and more Karma!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: