Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

{Utility release} Mod updater*v1.193 now out*and all of my modding utilites update 18/11/2011 trinity friendly

a utility to UPDATE mods to entrenchment 1.053 includes diplomacy 1.034 original sins 1.193 & trinity 1.034

By on June 19, 2009 10:58:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

harpo99999

Join Date 02/2008
+405

I am announcing a new utility that can copy all of a players MODS AND update the mods to a new patch.

at present it it can update mods in txt form from entrenchment 1.01 &1.02 to entrenchment 1.03 and sins 1.15-6 to 1.17, it works in a similar way to my map updater ie it first copies the files from the source folder( and it does copy ALL files and folders), it then reads in the entity file from the destination folder, re-names the entity to entold, checks to see if it needs the changes and makes the nessacary changes and saves the corrected entity. I have already tested it with manshooters dynamic v0.9b and my own megastarbases mod (both in txt form and it copied and updated both in 33 seconds, but the more mods and the larger the mods and also if the mods ar binned  the SLOWER the updating time. eg with celestial bodies v0.8b, ds entrenchment beta 0.7, dynamic 0.9b, firefall 2.2, ms entrench v2.22, requiem 2.2, sins of the 13th tribe v0.4, unknown darkness beta 0.01 and my megastarbases mod (totaling 3.9GB of files) it took 40 minutes to update all of them.

and as the entity files in the mods ARE updated you only need to run the utility when a new patch to entrenchment comes out and I have supplied updated instructions to the program.

the links for old versions have been removed

I have been given permission to include the convertdata*.exe's with my utilities so I am now releasing my utility pack

I have released all of my modding utilities/tools in one archive  and INCLUDED the NOW needed convertdata*.exe's from all of the sins versions that my utilities support, ie sins 1.15,1,16 & 1.17 and also entrenchment 1.01,1.02, & 1.03

also I made sure that the correct targetsinsver.txt is included

1/1/2010 the latest version which has the updated program for the textbin gui and diplomacy compatibility is now up at

7/2/ 2010 uploaded the 1.19 release of the utilities including the latest mod updater which is set to ignore the 5 fx files that can cause dumps in entrenchment mods

19/2/2010 latest version of the complete modding utiities with the essentals files incuded is up at

the latest version is up at http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0b3g8a/n/harpo_sins_utilities_1.191_e_d.rar

now also at http://www.filefront.com/15858795/harpo-sins-utilities-1.191ed.rar/

and the dip 1.21 version http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8023186/sins%20mods/harpo%20sins%20utilities%20for%20sins%201.191%2Cent%201.051%2Cd1.21.rar

I have tested this version on 32 bit & 64 bit sins,entrenchment & diplomacy, the only issue is a overflow value with many mods in a mod folder. I will fix this in the next version

just a reminder if you are getting an error stating that sins version found ::: need version 1.1.9 then you NEED the registry keys that point to the sins install folder for 32bit windows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Stardock\Drengin.net\sins

for 64bit windows

HKLM>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>Stardock>Drengin.net>sins

and they should have a Path string value that contains the EXACT path to the sins game folder

the latest version includes the use of the sinstrinity registry key to find the path to the sins install if the sins path key is blank, and also a probable fix for the error 76 (path not found) error that appears to be caused by having a '\' at the end of the sins(trinity) path, so you do NOT need to edit the registry entries

here is the drop box link

and the file factory link

and now the utility pack with diplomacy 1.3 and trinity 1.3 convertdata btw I do not recommend using the mod updater to update the mods to diplomacy 1.3 as there are a large number of changes in the playerRACE.entity files and the entity manifest, and new and removed pacts compared with diplomacy 1.21

corrected the link above, the above link archive NOW has the diplomacy1.21 convertdata

and the first link for the utility pack with convertdatadiplomacy 1.31(file factory)

utility pack convertdatadiplomacy 1.31 (drop box)

updated the utility pack for the latest patch and the mod updater WILL update original mods to 1.192, entrenchment (still uses the 1.051 folder so no update) and diplomacy 1.3# to 1.33

filefactory link to full utility pack for o1.192 e 1.052 d/t 1.33

18/11/2011 updated the utilities  to the latest steam compatable patch ie original 1.193, entrenchment 1.053, diplomacy 1.34, trinity 1.34 AND updated the manifest maker to remove the two entities that diplomacy no longer wants

filefactory latest utility pack for O1.193 e1.053 d1.34 t1.34

harpo

Locked Post 370 Replies +9
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 19, 2009 3:53:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This could be useful.

June 19, 2009 5:10:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sounds Nifty, When are you planing on releasing it?

June 19, 2009 6:45:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have emailed it to my BETA team, so depending on any problems that might be found, and or any alterations to the program within the next fortnight is my hope

harpo

June 20, 2009 3:52:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thought I should give  out a screenie for the mod updater

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=2lyzbzykq5m&thumb=4

here it is harpos mods updater

June 22, 2009 2:25:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

just some further info

the utility is designed and restricted to updating the ENTITY files with the changes from an earlier version to a later version WITHIN the same expansion eg sins 1.15 > sins 1.16 > sins 1.17 XOR entrenchment 1.00 > entrenchment 1.01 > entrenchment 1.02 > entrenchment 1.03, and can NOT update mods from BEFORE sins 1.15 because there is no practical way for the program to know which set of instructions would be needed to update a mod from sins 1.01-1.14 to later sins as each of the sins versions did have differences in the entity files and also the 1.10 had a change in the texture channels functions.

within these limitations I designed the program to help ALL sins players & modders on and just after patchday(s) to

1 copy the files from the older version mods folder to the current mods version folder (eg sins 1.15 to sins 1.17)

2 update the mods that are in the mods version folder to the ENTITY file changes for that version (converting to txt if nessacry checking to see if it needs the update, and then if the entity was a bin converting it back to bin with the CORRECT convertdata exe)

3 report on all files that were copied, the files updated AND the files that could not be updated as they could not be converted to txt to do the update, so that the players can bug the modder to use the correct convertdata exe and update the mod by hand

by the way modders please use the convertdata_entrenchment.exe for entrenchment mods and the convertdata_originalsins.exe for sins mods, as all of my utilities use the correct convertdata for the expansion

harpo

June 22, 2009 10:34:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't wait for this

June 22, 2009 4:52:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

kyogre there is an easy way to beat the wait.

join the beta team by pming me an email that can receive a 50kb rar

harpo

June 29, 2009 10:32:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Whenever you get a new version out for beta, feel free to e-mail me again. I check it quite regularly and have the time to continue testing for ya.

June 30, 2009 7:02:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the actual program is behaving well, just with a issue involving the convertdata*.exe's stopping working when worked too hard as the mod updater does on mods in bin.

th updater works perfectly with mods that are txt as it does not have to convert the file(s) to txt to do the actual update

I intend to continue support of the mod updater as long as sins and it's expansions are getting updates.

the program will ONLY update mods WITHIN a given expansion ie sins to sins current, entrenchment to entrenchment current, and each of the future expansions, AND WILL NOT UPDATE any mods from before versioned mod folders ie entrenchment's release.

I am also inserting in the program a sins version check to prevent stuffing up mods for users, ie at present the program will update to sins 1.17 & entrenchment 1.03 and will require the sins 1.17 on the computer for BOTH the convertdata*.exe's AND the sins exe.

the reason for the version checking is that later patches will as usual break mods & save games, probably by adding additional lines in the entities, and I do not want to cause any additional problems for users that do not update their sins, but attempt to use the later mod updater, which would then BREAK the mods for the older sins.

another adjustment to the program is that the destination folder will default to the latest version mods folders ie mods-v,modes-entrnechment v, etc...

harpo

July 7, 2009 6:17:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

just another heads up

the mod updater looks like it will be releaseable on saturday

THANKS to all the beta team

harpo

July 11, 2009 3:06:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

here  is the links for the mod updater v1.0.0

games fanatics http://www.gamingvault.net/index.php?automodule=downloads&req=idx&cmd=viewdetail&f_id=121 closed

file planet  http://www.filefront.com/14016225/harpos-sins-mod-updaterv1.0.rar/

media fire http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b70e23d4568339f600d27174b47c6657e04e75f6e8ebb871

this version is no longer available

harpo

July 11, 2009 7:26:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There are some mods that i definatly want to update to 1.03 entrenchment so this tool sounds really cool.

However it doesn't work for me . I download it, unpack with winrar to desktop (and i tried to copy it to my sins folder, in a newly made folder) and i get a runtime error.

Run-time error '9':

Subscript out of range

To bad

July 11, 2009 8:09:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

mystic did you extract ALL the files to the same folder?

I had tested it on sins computers running from a usb key WITH ALL the files that are in the rar.

the program does use the targetsinsver.txt file to locate the default copy to locations.

just out of curosity which mods did you want to update?

harpo

July 11, 2009 8:47:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hey Harpo

Yes i extracted them all, so included all the txt files with them.

I wanted to update the stronger capitals mod to entrenchment 1.03.

July 11, 2009 9:31:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

was the stronger capitals mod for any version of entrenchment or sins after 1.15? or is it from old sins?

could you point me in the direction of the mod tread /download so I ca ncheck it out?

harpo

July 11, 2009 9:43:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mystic,
There are some mods that i definatly want to update to 1.03 entrenchment so this tool sounds really cool.

However it doesn't work for me . I download it, unpack with winrar to desktop (and i tried to copy it to my sins folder, in a newly made folder) and i get a runtime error.

Run-time error '9':

Subscript out of range

To bad

I have the same problem with the mod. Running Vista 32 bit home premium and all files in the same folder

Trying to get it to work on manshooters mods

July 11, 2009 9:58:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

argh the guy who made the mod put it offline

http://realcapitalships.impulsedriven.net/article/344100/Real_Capital_Ships_for_Entrenchment_released

http://realcapitalships.impulsedriven.net/article/345064/Temporary_last_update_for_Real_Capital_Ships

I still got it on my harddrive.

Btw, dunno if it helps but i'm running XP 32 bit service pack 3.

July 11, 2009 2:17:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Could you post the links on the first post just so that it's easier for people to see it?

July 11, 2009 7:08:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

mystic,

I am primarily developing my utilities on xp sp3 32bit, but I test them on vist 32bit,vist 64bit,win7 32bit & win7 64bit, the only points in the program that use arrays are the list of files, the actual files during updates and the actual instructions for conversion. I also have just tested the real capitals entrenchment, but had a convert to txt problem that I worked around with the OLD convertdata_entrenchment.exe from 1.02, so I am going to recommend against downloading the mod updater untill I can re-write the conversion code to look in the programs lcation for the correct convertdata version.

belerphon,

there ARE THREE links in the OP near the bottom for each of the download locations consisting of the site name with a link that opens a new tab/window and the actual text of the link to the page on each line, but I suggest waiting for the next version which will be larger but include the convertdatas from all the versions that I can support

harpo

July 11, 2009 9:23:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Runtime error 9, subscript out of range...

July 11, 2009 10:27:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

which mod or mods were you trying to update, and I am in alpha testing for the next version of the mod updater that will include the convertdatas from sins 1.15,1.16 & 1.17 AND entrenchment 1.01,1.02 & 1.03, and would like to test against the mods that are most troublesome

harpo

July 12, 2009 12:49:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Aktually i did not remove the Real capital ships mod i updated it. Wincustomize is just so incredible slow to show new uploaded mods. So here is an alternative link http://www.filefront.com/13965645/undefined

I had trouble converting the binary files myself so no wonder his tool was not working. But may be next time it might work.

However i did not update(And will not) the Version for Sins Vanilla so you should hope for harpos tool if you still have not bought Entrenchment...

July 12, 2009 1:13:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I actually found out what the cause of the incompatibility for the convertdata's is.

each of the convertdata's is for THAT version of sins it was released with and later versions do the encoding differently, so to convert BACK to txt you have to use the SAME version of the convertdata, and if you try to use a different version to the version that encoded the file then there is a chance of the converter locking up and failing to convert the file.

my suggestion for modders is to keep a copy of their mods in txt to speed up the updating and just release a binned version after updating.

the 1.1 version in ALPHA test sofar has NOT failed to update ANY mods including the 7deadly sins 2.5A which would not update properly with the version 1 program due to the version incompatibility between the convertdatas.

the only problems with the 1.1 version is the NEED to release it WITH the convertdata's which BUMP the file size to 4.5MB from 120KB.

harpo

July 12, 2009 2:11:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I got the runtime error when I tried to run the .exe

Yes, I extracted all the files to a folder.

July 12, 2009 6:16:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

did you have the ocx in the same folder?

harpo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time: