Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[v0.43]Babylon 5 - Sins of the Younger Races {Diplomacy1.34} *UPDATE 08.12.2012*

Babylon 5 mod effort for Sins

By on August 17, 2009 4:40:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TobiWahn_Ke...

Join Date 08/2008
+56

This is the story of the last of the Babylon 5 mod-efforts. It's goal, to prevent another failure, by creating a place to solve our problems collaboratively. Its a port of call, home away from home, for modelers, texturers, programmers and sound engineers. 

Babylon 5 - Sins of the Younger Races

Disclaimer:
The authors are not responsible for any damage that may arise from using this mod. This mod may not be sold under any circumstances. It may be downloaded, as long as it does not violate the laws of the state/country you live in. This disclaimer must always be distributed with the mod. For other used please contact me personally.

Thanks to the TEAM:
2D Artist: Tobias Liebhart (TobiWahn_Kenobi), SteinerX
Bughunters: Rob Cummings, cybertx, Darvroth, Peter1x9, ZombiesRus5
Coders: Ronie Albesa (zRazor), Rob Cummings (NewHorizons), Davroth, EvilTesla-RG, Rodney Jenkings (HotRod), Tobias Liebhart, Zvezdochets
Model Templates: Amras-Arfeiniel, James Newman (Firehawk)
Modelers: Ronie Albesa, Amras-Arfeiniel, Fileosoft, Johan Klaver, Koobalt, Tobias Liebhart, Stefan May, Timmaigh, Pauli Valkeejärvi (Hawkwall), Zvezdochets
Musician: Pauli Valkeejärvi
Research: Rob Cummings, Darvroth, Rodney Jenkins
PR: Darvroth, SteinerX
Sounds: Rob Cummings, Pauli Valkeejärvi, Zvezdochets
Texturers:  Tobias Liebhart, SteinerX, TFL_BigBangTheory, Timmaigh, Pauli Valkeejärvi, ZombiesRus5

Additional support: boshimi336, Lavo_2, myfist0, Gürol Salk (Geopard)

And to
MysticAngel for the Automated Fighter docking ability
The Babylon 5 X3TC team

And thanks to all those modelers whose work is a inspiration and a template for creating ingame assets

If I forgot anyone, please contact me so I can give proper credit. (There seem to be so many decent people involved at the moment)

Release 0.44

not yet ready (planned release summer 2014)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation instructions:

Put contents into the gameInfo directory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

put the folder "b5-sotyr"

using winxp
C:\Documents and Settings\'user name'\Local Settings\Application Data\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Mods-Diplomacy v1.34

using vista/windows 7
C:\Users\'username'\AppData\Local\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Mods-Diplomacy v1.34

PreAlpha 0.44 for Sins Rebellion 1.82

Contents:

Races:
    Minbari
    EA
    Narn
    Centauri
    Shadows
    Vorlon

Models:

General:
        Jumpgate

Minbari:
        Tinashi
        Nial (Tishat)
        Flyer
        Sharlin (Sharkaan, Sharoos)
        Neroon
        Neshatan
        Leshath

Earth Alliance:
        Avenger Carrier
        Artemis Frigate
        Hermes Transport
        Omega Destroyer
        Hyperion
        Sagittarius Cruiser
        Starfury Aurora
        Victory Destroyer
        EA Explorer
        Apollo
        Starfury Badger
        NOVA Dreadnought
        Global Orbital Defense
        Poseidon Super Carrier

Shadows:
        Ancient Battlecrab
        DeathCloud
        Scout
        Young Battlecrab (smaller)
        Fighter
        Carrier

Narn:
        G'Quan
        BinTak
        Ka'Toc
        Dag'Kar
        Frazi
        Gorith

Centauri:
        Vorchan
        Primus
        Centurion
        Liati
        Corvan

Vorlon:
        Fighter
        Heavy Drone
        Siege Frigate
        Transport
        Destroyer
        Heavy Cruiser
        Light Cruiser

Raiders:
        Zephyr Fighter
        Carrier

Abilities:
    in progress (too many to list)

Starbases:
    Starbases for younger Races ( Military, Jumpgate )
    Jumpgates for EA, Narn, Centauri and Minbari (not all buildable)

Research:
    EA
    Centauri
    Minbari
    Narn
    Vorlon
    Shadow

GUI:
    Fonts
    Intro Music
    Loadscreens
    Intro Videos
    Icons

Music:
    Battle music 1, 2, 3
    Quiet music 1, 2, 4, 5

Sounds:
    Vorchan Ion cannon

General addendum:

- Due to missing hull regeneration ships will appear damaged upon researching hull upgrades. This only affects ships built before the upgrade was researched

SOTYR manual

If anyone wants to contribute to this mod, please contact me. Any models, sounds, music, textures, abilities and so on are welcomed. I will however keep control of the stats (with input from the most active members/posters).

Home
https://bitbucket.org/TobiWahn_Kenobi/sotyr/wiki/Home

Screenshots
https://bitbucket.org/TobiWahn_Kenobi/sotyr/wiki/Home#!screenshots

Bug reporting over here (you need to be a member of Origo and the team, if you want to do this, please contact me)
https://bitbucket.org/TobiWahn_Kenobi/sotyr/issues?status=new&status=open

Old Blog with screenshots and infos maintained by SteinerX can be found here (*OUT OF DATE*)
http://babylon5ins.blogspot.com/

Yours TobiWahn_Kenobi

4662 Replies +7
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 6, 2013 8:36:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvroth,
I've dabbled since last year but couldn't seem to import the complete database which limited the utility. Give me a few weeks and I'll be able to devote more attention to the task. That way you'll have time to wrap up the latest round of DB improvements before I attempt to set up, learn and then commence file swapping.

Import of entity files is not possible. I've had it for a few filetypes at first (fighters, frigates and Capitalships) but it was never really feasible. So entries have to be added by hand.

Quoting NewHorizons,
comment also applies to the Minbari ships - there's several scenes in the series where they fire a salvo of 2, 3 or 4 short duration shots, mainly against fighters but also against EA frigates & cruisers (eg the Drala Fi ambushing Sheridan's fleet from In The Beginning)

Maybe leave the primary weapons firing the long duration beam (scary anti-Shadow beam), but change the lighter weapons to fire salvos.

Agree. And glad to have you back.

Quoting NewHorizons,

Quoting Darvroth, reply 3973Glad to have you back!Cheers!

Quoting Darvroth, reply 3974...if you mean multiple short duration beam pulses per firing cycle per target or if you mean multiple targets per cycle.

The former - each individual firing cycle should still only affect one target, basically just break up the continuous beam into a series of pulses. I agree that we don't want to increase the weapon's effectiveness.

Quoting Darvroth, reply 3974Using 2-4 pulses would also help to distinguish the ships by era. Thoughts?Maybe, problem is that we never saw any of the older ships (eg Tinashi) open fire, but I suppose you could argue that later techs improved efficiency, cooling & heat tolerance to increase the duty cycle to a point where a weapon could fire continuously.

not sure this is really possible.

Quoting NewHorizons,
Maybe, problem is that we never saw any of the older ships (eg Tinashi) open fire, but I suppose you could argue that later techs improved efficiency, cooling & heat tolerance to increase the duty cycle to a point where a weapon could fire continuously.

That would be an explanation I'd be happy using IF we can get beam pulses to work.

March 6, 2013 10:29:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Multiple hardpoints per gun + pointstaggerdelay or burst settings should do the trick unless I am misunderstanding the suggestion.

March 6, 2013 1:41:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TobiWahn_Kenobi,
And glad to have you back.

Thanks TobiWahn, good to see you recovered from your illness.

While watching the series again it was interesting to see the 1993 copyright date on B5 - yes it'll be 20 years old this year, crikey!

Unfortunately, CygWin's curl & git don't yet work on Windows 8 (looks like the OpenSSL libs fail to load). What git utils do you use?

Edit: Fixed by creating a short-cut to C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -o vi

March 10, 2013 6:27:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting NewHorizons,
Edit: Fixed by creating a short-cut to C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -o vi

Perfect! Yes, the illness. I've been to the Cebit from 7.3 to 8.3 and while the plane was landing my head suddenly felt like being penetrated by a knife. Seems like my sinusitis is still there. Well, I'm having a CT soon so I will see what this is all about. Damn.

Other than that I have to say Cebit was fantastic. I saw Ultimaker in action and I'm now eager to save up enough to buy myself a 3d printer this year. Still not sure if resin or PLA/ABS printer. I've even met the co-founder of 1-2-3-people.com, nice guy it seems. Gave some good advise concerning my sinusitis after we landed.

So hope you all enjoyed your weekend. Coming week I will be in Portugal so now work next weekend either, but after that I should get it going again (I've already got a concept for an extended version of my DB to allow editing and submitting of changes by others - notably Darvroth)

All the best

Tobias

March 10, 2013 9:12:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hope you feel better and can't wait.

March 11, 2013 12:06:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just tried to play a multi player Rebellion game with my son and ran into "Sync Error detected between _____:0 and ______:1 at tick 300" where _____ were our log in names. This error was seen on LAN and internet play. Both games continued independently after the sync error which occured shortly after launch and before a minute had elapsed.

Anyone seen before?

March 11, 2013 4:09:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvroth,
Sync Error detected between _____:0 and ______:1 at tick 300

Damn, I really had hoped sync errors were a thing of the past. I'm having the CT today, so hopefully this is all behind me soon.

March 11, 2013 4:13:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TobiWahn_Kenobi,
I'm having the CT today, so hopefully this is all behind me soon.

Good luck, I hope they find nothing as finding something is usually bad.

March 11, 2013 8:25:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvroth,
Good luck, I hope they find nothing as finding something is usually bad.

I'll get the diagnosis tomorrow, so then I will know.

March 11, 2013 5:45:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is the rebellion release out already?

(Since Davroth tried a multi game...)

March 12, 2013 12:22:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SG23,

If it's not listed in the OP then it isn't available to the public just yet. It's still in closed testing with a lot of work to do is my understanding.

March 12, 2013 1:38:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SG23,

If TobiWahn remains in good health maybe as early as 2 months. Really depends on the extent of the tech tree rewrites. Every race requires some level of update, Minbari and EA require a complete rewrite.  Also there are several new or improved elements Rebellion offers that must be incorporated and tested. The MP test didn't actually go well so there are still issues with the upgrade to Rebellion to overcome.

We are however always soliciting willing talent... See TobiWahn for the application

Edit: the edit button is back! That didn't take long...

March 13, 2013 9:07:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

CT brought no real news, sinusitis it is, and I have to take medication for 4 weeks and hope it helps. Bugger.

March 13, 2013 10:42:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When dealing with illnesses though, no news means good news.  I'm glad it isn't something more serious.

March 13, 2013 2:01:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Indeed, I'm glad the scan was clear. I hope the meds help out.

March 13, 2013 11:59:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ditto! Illness is no fun. Hope the recovery is swift and sure.

Was my guesstimate off the mark? With a deadline it might push us closer to greatness, or at least the next release...

March 14, 2013 6:18:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks! No, the guesstimate is not off the mark. I'm going to Lisbon today and will start on the cooperation side of the DB next weekend. As soon as this is finished it will be a lot easier for us to update stuff (since you can easily submit changes and I just need to review the submit description and click on accept).

Have a nice week(end) to all of you.

Tobias

March 16, 2013 12:14:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

NewHorizon's,

Since we have the place to ourselves for a week (nod to the lurkers) what is your next focus? I'm still tweaking additions/revisions for the tech factions but have been thinking... The weapon effects in Rebellion are a bit splashy for my taste have you had any luck revising colors or scaling up or down an on screen effects? I've dabbled but to no real effect. Punt.

March 16, 2013 4:47:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've not looked those yet - weapon effects, weapon effects, hhmmm. If I were a weapon effect which entity would I be? 

Quoting Darvroth,
... are a bit splashy for my taste
There's one that is used for a Narn flak weapon that looks a bit OTT (green Vasari plasma/pulse gun).

Currently I'm finishing off the 'Flank Speed' ability for the Omega which I managed to salvage from my old machine.

Regarding the EA's tech tree, I don't really see the purpose of stand-alone tech 'Trade Tariffs'. It has several negative bonuses but with a +5% tax increase (probably negated by the other effects) but isn't a per-requisite for any other tech.

** goes back to lurking around 'down below' **

March 16, 2013 10:19:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi All, firstly let me say how much I love this mod, great work on it! I have a quick question though, I believe I have installed the MOD incorrectly as several of the ships still appear as boxes even when I've seen the artwork on here, and the research tree is nearly all just white boxes, not wholely though. Any thoughs on something I may have done wrong?

Thanks in adavance, Bloodhound

March 16, 2013 10:26:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Tobias, I saw you were after a 3D printer, might a suggest a cheaper alternative, that is free. it was designed by a lecturer at Bath University in England, and all the parts, Data and upgrades are online. Have a look at this link if you're interested.

http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Bloodhound

March 16, 2013 10:35:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Check out this page as well

http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Build_A_RepRap

March 16, 2013 2:30:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Bloodhound2008,
Any thoughts on something I may have done wrong?

The mod team hasn't done most of the 2D art work for the SOTYR techs tiles yet so those are white/greyed out...

The ships that haven't had B5 model work yet are either SoaSE placeholders or black cubes. The Rebellion compliant release will change the black cubes to faction color cubes which will help but will still be place holders till the model work is completed.

You may also notice on close observation that some visual/audio effects are incomplete but it is still a work in progress. Thanks for the support and interest.

March 16, 2013 2:35:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting NewHorizons,
Regarding the EA's tech tree, I don't really see the purpose of stand-alone tech 'Trade Tariffs'. It has several negative bonuses but with a +5% tax increase (probably negated by the other effects) but isn't a per-requisite for any other tech.

In my review I focused on canon and Rebellion necessary techs. The initial SOTYR tech conception had the techs on a mix from good to bad with most having a mix of positive and negative benefits. It is likely I did not fully re-purpose this in the suggested rewrite. Bad techs were supposed to always be precursors to some other good tech otherwise there would be no incentive. Many bad effects are timed with the periods of the B5 story arc. If I missed Trade Tariffs, with the above in mind please make a suggested fix on the edit/notes of the ticket.

March 16, 2013 6:38:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting NewHorizons,
I've not looked those yet - weapon effects, weapon effects, hhmmm. If I were a weapon effect which entity would I be?

That data is embedded in the entity files but point elsewhere, I suspect the constant files but I haven't look closely into it. Here is an example from an ability:

effectInfo

effectAttachInfo   attachType "Center"  

smallEffectName "CapitalAbility_FlakBurstActivate"

largeEffectName "CapitalAbility_FlakBurstActivate"  

soundID "EFFECT_FLAKBURST"

Here is a ship weapon example:

WeaponEffects   

weaponType "Beam"   

burstCount 1   

burstDelay 0.000000  

muzzleEffectName "Weapon_TechCapitalBeamHeavy_Muzzle"  

muzzleSoundMinRespawnTime 0.100000  

muzzleSounds    

soundCount 1   

sound ""   

hitEffectName "Weapon_TechCapitalBeamHeavy_Hit"   

hitHullEffectSounds    

soundCount 1    

sound ""  

hitShieldsEffectSounds    

soundCount 1    

sound ""   

beamEffectSounds    

soundCount 1    

sound "WEAPON_TECHCAPITALBEAMHEAVY_TRAVEL"   

beamGlowTextureName "EACapitalBeam_Glow"   

beamCoreTextureName "EACapitalBeam_Core"   

beamWidth 40   

beamGlowColor ffffffff   

beamCoreColor ffffffff   

beamTilingRate 3

Some names in "" refer to preset effects stored elseware in the build others like beamWidth are variables and have easily adjustable and obvious effects. Some like ffffffff have me at a loss but I suspect refer to some mapping, I suspect color but I haven't found the key yet. With your search algorithms and table making skills I figure that and some assistance from the lurkers might allow us to make some coordinated headway and get the B5 look and feel right. Thoughts?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: