Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[v0.43]Babylon 5 - Sins of the Younger Races {Diplomacy1.34} *UPDATE 08.12.2012*

Babylon 5 mod effort for Sins

By on August 17, 2009 4:40:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TobiWahn_Ke...

Join Date 08/2008
+58

This is the story of the last of the Babylon 5 mod-efforts. It's goal, to prevent another failure, by creating a place to solve our problems collaboratively. Its a port of call, home away from home, for modelers, texturers, programmers and sound engineers. 

Babylon 5 - Sins of the Younger Races

Disclaimer:
The authors are not responsible for any damage that may arise from using this mod. This mod may not be sold under any circumstances. It may be downloaded, as long as it does not violate the laws of the state/country you live in. This disclaimer must always be distributed with the mod. For other used please contact me personally.

Thanks to the TEAM:
2D Artist: Tobias Liebhart (TobiWahn_Kenobi), SteinerX
Bughunters: Rob Cummings, cybertx, Darvroth, Peter1x9, ZombiesRus5
Coders: Ronie Albesa (zRazor), Rob Cummings (NewHorizons), Davroth, EvilTesla-RG, Rodney Jenkings (HotRod), Tobias Liebhart, Zvezdochets
Model Templates: Amras-Arfeiniel, James Newman (Firehawk)
Modelers: Ronie Albesa, Amras-Arfeiniel, Fileosoft, Johan Klaver, Koobalt, Tobias Liebhart, Stefan May, Timmaigh, Pauli Valkeejärvi (Hawkwall), Zvezdochets
Musician: Pauli Valkeejärvi
Research: Rob Cummings, Darvroth, Rodney Jenkins
PR: Darvroth, SteinerX
Sounds: Rob Cummings, Pauli Valkeejärvi, Zvezdochets
Texturers:  Tobias Liebhart, SteinerX, TFL_BigBangTheory, Timmaigh, Pauli Valkeejärvi, ZombiesRus5

Additional support: boshimi336, Lavo_2, myfist0, Gürol Salk (Geopard)

And to
MysticAngel for the Automated Fighter docking ability
The Babylon 5 X3TC team

And thanks to all those modelers whose work is a inspiration and a template for creating ingame assets

If I forgot anyone, please contact me so I can give proper credit. (There seem to be so many decent people involved at the moment)

Release 0.44

not yet ready (planned release summer 2014)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation instructions:

Put contents into the gameInfo directory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

put the folder "b5-sotyr"

using winxp
C:\Documents and Settings\'user name'\Local Settings\Application Data\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Mods-Diplomacy v1.34

using vista/windows 7
C:\Users\'username'\AppData\Local\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\Mods-Diplomacy v1.34

PreAlpha 0.44 for Sins Rebellion 1.82

Contents:

Races:
    Minbari
    EA
    Narn
    Centauri
    Shadows
    Vorlon

Models:

General:
        Jumpgate

Minbari:
        Tinashi
        Nial (Tishat)
        Flyer
        Sharlin (Sharkaan, Sharoos)
        Neroon
        Neshatan
        Leshath

Earth Alliance:
        Avenger Carrier
        Artemis Frigate
        Hermes Transport
        Omega Destroyer
        Hyperion
        Sagittarius Cruiser
        Starfury Aurora
        Victory Destroyer
        EA Explorer
        Apollo
        Starfury Badger
        NOVA Dreadnought
        Global Orbital Defense
        Poseidon Super Carrier

Shadows:
        Ancient Battlecrab
        DeathCloud
        Scout
        Young Battlecrab (smaller)
        Fighter
        Carrier

Narn:
        G'Quan
        BinTak
        Ka'Toc
        Dag'Kar
        Frazi
        Gorith

Centauri:
        Vorchan
        Primus
        Centurion
        Liati
        Corvan

Vorlon:
        Fighter
        Heavy Drone
        Siege Frigate
        Transport
        Destroyer
        Heavy Cruiser
        Light Cruiser

Raiders:
        Zephyr Fighter
        Carrier

Abilities:
    in progress (too many to list)

Starbases:
    Starbases for younger Races ( Military, Jumpgate )
    Jumpgates for EA, Narn, Centauri and Minbari (not all buildable)

Research:
    EA
    Centauri
    Minbari
    Narn
    Vorlon
    Shadow

GUI:
    Fonts
    Intro Music
    Loadscreens
    Intro Videos
    Icons

Music:
    Battle music 1, 2, 3
    Quiet music 1, 2, 4, 5

Sounds:
    Vorchan Ion cannon

General addendum:

- Due to missing hull regeneration ships will appear damaged upon researching hull upgrades. This only affects ships built before the upgrade was researched

SOTYR manual

If anyone wants to contribute to this mod, please contact me. Any models, sounds, music, textures, abilities and so on are welcomed. I will however keep control of the stats (with input from the most active members/posters).

Home
https://bitbucket.org/TobiWahn_Kenobi/sotyr/wiki/Home

Screenshots
https://bitbucket.org/TobiWahn_Kenobi/sotyr/wiki/Home#!screenshots

Bug reporting over here (you need to be a member of Origo and the team, if you want to do this, please contact me)
https://bitbucket.org/TobiWahn_Kenobi/sotyr/issues?status=new&status=open

Old Blog with screenshots and infos maintained by SteinerX can be found here (*OUT OF DATE*)
http://babylon5ins.blogspot.com/

Yours TobiWahn_Kenobi

4814 Replies +7
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 24, 2009 6:04:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi, there. I would like to know if you would be interested in this particular ship:

A Shadow arrives

Xsi Image

Shadow in game

Shadow in game

Shadow unleashes hell

Shadow Fire.

I have this particular ship as part of the raiding pirates, and it's quite devastating when it attacks your planet. It has an ability which will make the ship "Disappear" after 8 minutes so that the pirate base doesn't fill up with these fiends!

I can send you this ship if you want but the only problem is that I don't have the textures set-up. I'm new to modelling and the geometry is too complicated to uv stamp for me at the moment. So the in game shots are of the model with not textures. However, all necessary Null points are in. I hope that isn't a problem for you to fix. Let me know if it interests you.

August 24, 2009 7:18:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am always interested! Looks good!

August 24, 2009 11:26:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Love the shadow ship!

August 25, 2009 1:28:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

New screens:

Avenger Carrier

Sharlin Tractor beam

August 25, 2009 1:52:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like all of them very much (espescially the one with the sharlin). If you don't mind, I'd like to have some 'action' scenes as well if possible (some ships firing into the cam or onto another ship, infight between q'quan cruiser and Vorchan or something like this.

I would also like to replace the figures from the loading screen (ie. your representation) with kosh and a shadow creature or mr. morden or lorin or something like this (if you got ideas, please tell me)

Working on it!

August 25, 2009 6:03:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you so much SteinerX!!

August 25, 2009 6:50:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you so much SteinerX!!

You're welcome!

A couple of loading screens uploaded ... not too keen on 4, will play around with that one later.

Tobiwahn, do have an EA Omega (minus the rotating section) And The rotating section minus (EA Omega hull) in 3ds format? I'd like to use it in some artwork for the mod but the Omega I have has only a NON rotating section???

Or .obj file format?

August 25, 2009 9:26:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As of now, I do not. TFL BigBANGtheory has one, but as of now, he has not offered me. If you send me the model though, i will seperate the sections for you if easily possible!

The screens I like very much. As a sidenote on loadingscreen 4 though, you should try to use no nebula on some, as the contrast will make the picture more intense. Also, if you arrange the ships so that one casts a shadow onto another there is more perceived depth and momentum.

Lastly i think for the beam shots to be more "included" in the scenery they should emit some green light onto the Q'Quan (and probably have some motionblur on them as well)

LS 5 is gorgeous!!

(Sorry for the critisism, perfectionism at it's worst I suppose    )

When we have all the screens I will include them in the next release! Thanks and keep up the good work!

August 25, 2009 10:43:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The screens I like very much. As a sidenote on loadingscreen 4 though, you should try to use no nebula on some, as the contrast will make the picture more intense. Also, if you arrange the ships so that one casts a shadow onto another there is more perceived depth and momentum.

Lastly i think for the beam shots to be more "included" in the scenery they should emit some green light onto the Q'Quan (and probably have some motionblur on them as well)

Agreed, the critisism is good, I'll make the changes.

As of now, I do not. TFL BigBANGtheory has one, but as of now, he has not offered me. If you send me the model though, i will seperate the sections for you if easily possible!

Will do!

Omega Link

But you will also need this Link

August 26, 2009 6:17:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I would recommend you steer clear of the Omega for the time being, its just a very unfriendly ship design for SoaSE where as other B5 ships are fine. I know its an iconic ship and if you are intent on doing it now I will try to guide you with the hull animation if needed, I took a quick look at the Celestia model link and as long as you can convert it and reduce the polycount it will work.

What you need to do is as already mentioned remove the central hull section and save it as a seperate mesh for the particle system. You will then use the particle system to re-introduce the mesh back to a particle emitter where the central point is with a rotational effect. 

August 26, 2009 6:24:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yep. Thanks. I intend to redo the mesh on a basis of about 10 to 20k polygons. Will fake some time though, other models are to be made first. Thanks again for the help.

August 26, 2009 7:32:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nice glad to see someone is working on this project, have any ideas when it will be release/playable?

August 27, 2009 3:36:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, if you mean a fullversion 1st release, i canot tell you an exact date. It will be when EA and Minbari are finished, so at least 2 completely playable races. If you want to playtest, there is a version for that already (preAlpha 0.31)

August 27, 2009 8:48:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That cool, i'll wait til it complete. One more questions, how big will the systems will be (IE: 10/20/30 systems)? Cuz i like to play long campaign.

August 27, 2009 9:50:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Me too. You should try the Babylon 5 Galaxy map, found somewhere on the forums! It gives epic gameplay!

August 29, 2009 9:45:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TFL BigBANGtheory,
Personally I would recommend you steer clear of the Omega for the time being, its just a very unfriendly ship design for SoaSE where as other B5 ships are fine. I know its an iconic ship and if you are intent on doing it now I will try to guide you with the hull animation if needed, I took a quick look at the Celestia model link and as long as you can convert it and reduce the polycount it will work.

What you need to do is as already mentioned remove the central hull section and save it as a seperate mesh for the particle system. You will then use the particle system to re-introduce the mesh back to a particle emitter where the central point is with a rotational effect. 

Thanks BigBANGtheory would be nice to have your guidance, have been waiting to play Sins with an Omega since you first created your Omega vid. for Sins. back in April 2008!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIS5y1MrIko

August 29, 2009 9:53:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Me too. You should try the Babylon 5 Galaxy map, found somewhere on the forums! It gives epic gameplay!

B5 Map

http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=212&libid=70

August 30, 2009 6:59:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Loading Screen 6

August 30, 2009 7:41:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SteinerX,
Loading Screen 6

Ohh Yesss!!!

August 31, 2009 12:17:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i played the mod, whats there and it's not bad, keep on going.

now, if some could just mix star trek, babylon 5, and stargate into one, that would make me happy.

August 31, 2009 5:29:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

now, if some could just mix star trek, babylon 5, and stargate into one, that would make me happy.

7DS? or there's a mod for B5vsStar Trek on the go in the forum ...

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/361801

TobiWahn: I can get the loading pictures in-game, but how do I change the main character?

August 31, 2009 7:41:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SteinerX,

TobiWahn: I can get the loading pictures in-game, but how do I change the main character?

You can find the character pictures in the texture folder for Sins called: "Startup_Loadscreen0"

I don't know if you would be able to do more than the three characters already provided. Although there is space for one more on the file it might just be a matter of finding the co-ordinates for the fourth character and adding that in somewhere.

August 31, 2009 8:56:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You can find the character pictures in the texture folder for Sins called: "Startup_Loadscreen0"

I don't know if you would be able to do more than the three characters already provided. Although there is space for one more on the file it might just be a matter of finding the co-ordinates for the fourth character and adding that in somewhere.

Thanks for the info, I have the "Startup_Loadscreen0", but when I put a replacement picture in it has a black background, even though when I copied it over into "Startup_Loadscreen0" file the image's background was transparent ...

Is there some coding required to do this properly?

August 31, 2009 9:58:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Image has an alpha channel that needs to be adapted to your characters outlines

Cheers and thanks

August 31, 2009 10:24:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alpha channel ... and hows that done?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001547   Page Render Time: