Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Diplomacy addon why???

By on August 25, 2009 10:26:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Darksxx

Join Date 02/2008
+16

Brad,

While I do love Sins and it’s a great game, why are we being given an add-on to make alliances? This has got to be the stupidest add-on you all have decided to make and one of the dumbest directions the game has gone in.  If I wanted to make an alliance with the AI I would have done that from the start of the game when I created it.

Let’s face it Sins is about conquering, and having an option to make an alliance is just not needed in this game. There is no Single Player game so why bother with this Add-on when you all should have been working on adding a new more powerful bad ass race to fight against.  I hate to sound ungrateful that you all are still making add-on and patching the game but I just don’t see the sense of this new add-on.  Unless you are adding new ships or ability for weapons this new add-on is a complete and utter waste of time. 

Locked Post 143 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 25, 2009 10:36:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Why are you asking Brad?

Why are you writing in green?

Why are you assuming all people don't care about single player when in fact they are the majority of Sins players?

Why are you asking the question, admitting you don't know their motives and yet instantly claiming it to be the most stupid add-on they have made?

I don't get people like you.

August 25, 2009 10:51:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personaly, I am looking forward to the expansion.

Not quite as much for the diplomacy features, but becouse they hinted that they might include some extra gaming modes!

I belive that this is an intelligent move by Ironclad,

Ironclad, your awsome!!!

not saying you didn't make some stupid decisions, but you certainly make less stupid decisions than the other guys.

August 25, 2009 10:53:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree with tesla

there is much more to this expansion than just diplomacy

after all Entrenchment brought more than starbases

August 25, 2009 11:00:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Most people (i.e. 99% of Sins players) are playing the game single player.

Moreover, in multiplayer, having the means to do things to get NPC (AI players) to help you is useful.

August 25, 2009 11:22:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

there is no SP game?!?!?! I haven't even finished an online game, let alone LIKED online play!! I look forward to manipulating the AI to do my bidding (*insert evil maniacal laugh here*).

And besides, Diplomacy isn't JUST making alliances. It could easily include things like covert operations ships, spying, new intelligence gathering methods, and ACTUAL diplomatic interaction with REAL PLAYERS, liking being able to give human players missions, instead of just telling NPCs what to do.

EDIT: Plus, we (the people replying to your post) all have more Karma than you do. That makes us right.

August 25, 2009 11:39:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,

EDIT: Plus, we (the people replying to your post) all have more Karma than you do. That makes us right.

whiskey as much as I would love to agree with you on this point, what he is stating is an opinion. There is no right or wrong.

just remember opinions are like belly buttons

August 25, 2009 11:49:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well, I was just saying that as a joke really, poking fun at the fact that all of the people who replied all have some amount of karma, and all say that there is an SP game, which the OP seems to be in denial of.

Opinions are like belly buttons. That is one I've never heard before and is just plain weird IMO. Why do you equate the two?

August 25, 2009 11:50:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

as with others, I beg to differ. I have been looking forward to this since the three micro exp. were announced and playing mostly tbs games by now, I certainly would not mind sins going more in that direction. and there surely are a lot of ppl who want better sp options, they are and always will be the majority.

August 25, 2009 12:03:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,

Opinions are like belly buttons. That is one I've never heard before and is just plain weird IMO. Why do you equate the two?

because we all have one

I know there are ruder versions but I was trying to be nice about the guys opinion

even if I disagree

August 25, 2009 12:08:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why? Because the current diplomacy in the game is prety lack luster. this will indded msotly benifit single player but it will also greatly help multyplayer by fixing some issues the current system causes.

But what i am really looking forward to is seeing what balance chnages they will make to REFIX sins.

August 25, 2009 12:57:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

B/c not every commander is a fan of brute force. Options are always good.

August 25, 2009 2:01:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's too early to criticize or praise the Diplomacy expansion since we don't even know what exactly it will contain yet nor how it will affect the game.  It could be a hit for online multiplayer and bad for single player or vice versa.  I was very skeptical about Entrenchment when it came out but everyone who played it seemed to like it and it actually adds a lot to the online multiplayer game.

Since I only play online multiplayer, I wonder whether it will be worthwhile and whether it will divide the online community even further since there will be four different game options (Regular, Entrenchment, Diplomacy, and Entrenchment + Diplomacy).  If you have Diplomacy installed, will you be able to see Entrenchment and Regular Sins games?  Will Entrenchment be required for Diplomacy?  Will Entrenchment and Diplomacy even be compatible with one another?

August 25, 2009 2:04:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As of yet, there is not much trade nor room for trade in general (trade ports are just credits generators, they don't trade anything). This game is really more like supreme commander than civilization, more CNC than settlers.
We have 3 basic resources that are being pumped every second into the coffers. There are no tools to trade, no goods. One could trade techs, but could it really be so that someone can pump HCs with zero military labs while the other dude makes five , researches the unit and sells the tech? Even then, it's a one time transaction.

As for diplomacy, there really is not much point behind diplomacy, other than not having to do stupid random missions. I believe it's just so players can cooperate with AI (i.e. make the AI do what it should to help) better. We all know this game is about nothing more than just wiping the enemy. There is nothing in this game that doesn't help in combat, in one way or another. Even the culture is just about protecting your planets from loss to enemy culture, recolonization, for taking out enemy planets and, oh, increase in resource income so you can build more combat ships.

There is just no incentive to do anything other than kill the enemy, take his worlds, rape his women, select the next enemy, rinse repeat. You either are foes or you are friends. You want him dead or you don't.

Oh well. We gotta wait and see. I have a feeling that adding complex diplomacy to sins is more or less like adding an option to discuss politics in Quake 3.

Just please balance this game, cause it's hardly playable as of now (in a competitive sense)....

August 25, 2009 2:11:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,
There is no Single Player game...

I've been playing this game since it came out and have never played multiplayer. So what in hell have I been playing if there's no single player?

August 25, 2009 2:18:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Coelocanth,

quoting postThere is no Single Player game...

I've been playing this game since it came out and have never played multiplayer. So what in hell have I been playing if there's no single player?

Maby you imagined it

Great minds think alike! we must have been assimilated into the borg and not realised it.

August 25, 2009 2:23:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

dang, the Borg suck. I'd rather get sucked into some other universe (preferably one of my own imagining).

August 25, 2009 2:33:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Probably the reason why dark wrote in green is because he is a borg

and I beg to differ on dark. Seriouly even if it diplomacy is an addon, it would also mean a significant AI improvement to the entire game to which we all could benefit.

did anyone look at the diplomacy teaser?

August 25, 2009 3:06:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What teaser it's just a picture.

August 25, 2009 4:30:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Considering it's going to come with more game modes and *cross fingers* rebalancing, it's going to be great for the multiplayer people. Plus, it's going to make singleplayer much more interesting than the usual grind through waves of AI.

August 25, 2009 5:32:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have a feeling the Diplomacy expansion is going to be well worth the wait. It's going to....

1. flesh out the current, minimalist diplomacy system so we can get away from missions and grinding

2. fix at least some imbalances

3. possibly add some new research upgrades

4. add other stuff most people haven't thought about, and it's going to a pleasant surprise

Covert activity?

Random Events?

August 25, 2009 5:59:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Something I'd really like to see in the Diplomacy addon:

A tech that allows you to see exactly who is in what place in the in-game leaderboard.  I like using that leaderboard thing to figure out what I need to improve, but if I knew who was in first place for fleets, and by how much, I would beel a lot safer!

August 25, 2009 6:16:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A tech that allows you to see exactly who is in what place in the in-game leaderboard. I like using that leaderboard thing to figure out what I need to improve, but if I knew who was in first place for fleets, and by how much, I would beel a lot safer!
Interesting. Could be used early in the game to tell who's rushing and who's on colonize spam.

August 25, 2009 6:21:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Such information I belive/hope will only be available throught spying.

August 25, 2009 7:26:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

this is all cool, but i think they should try and make an expansion pack focusing on a new race, not another micro ep that adds just dimplomacy and such.

just adding my opinion, 

kingspartan  

August 25, 2009 7:26:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

adding my voice to the general dismissal of the OP

i havent got anything to add, but yeah, i disagree with just about everything the OP said

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time: