Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

what is a good router speed for playing sins online?

By on December 10, 2009 7:58:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

locolucky

Join Date 11/2009

I am about to get a wireless internet router and i need to know what a good speed would be for playing sins online?  I think wireless n but not sure.

Locked Post 4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 11, 2009 12:22:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I guess the first question to ask is--what is the speed of your Internet connection to your ISP?  Is that faster than the G setting on a wireless router anyway?  If the wireless G setting is much faster than your Internet connection then it won't make a difference if you have G or N.  However, one reason to purchase an N router would be to avoid future obsolescense, so if the price difference isn't great (or if you have a really fat pipe to the Internet) get the N router.

December 11, 2009 3:08:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

locolucky,

The important thing when contemplating wireless for gaming is to find out whether your router will do WMM (wireless multi-media) or not.  The problem with wifi for gaming is that wifi bursts-up to certain speeds when transmitting tons of data but slows down and sometimes even kicks into stand-by when there isn't much to send.  Having a router which supports WMM and then having that enabled allows the router to prevent the wifi connection from slowing down/going into standby thus eliminating bad wifi-related lag-spikes.

the Monk

December 11, 2009 8:28:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I didn't know that Monk.  That's good to know.

December 11, 2009 10:11:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks guys, i went out and got a router that supports WMM. I'll be playing against real people now. hope to see u there!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: