Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD WIP] Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2 - 0.7.7R Update 6/24/2016

Looking for Modelers and Texture Artists

By on December 14, 2009 11:11:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

SoA2Team

Join Date 03/2009
+37
SOA2 Home
Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers? - Jean Luc Picard
Gameplay
FED
KLI
ROM
DOM
BORG
NPC
Install Rebellion mods tutorial
5054 Replies +12
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 16, 2013 1:28:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting psychoak,

The technical manual is wrong.

Ships do not move at warp, they warp space around them.  Stationary objects.

Correction. They do move, however their einstein physics speed is well below lightspeed.

Basically if there is something 10 lightyears away and you enable the warp drive, those 10 light years become maybe 1 light day. So the ship has only to fly the effective distance of 1 light day. Something that is a lot more doable and takes far less time, even when you are on sublight by Einsteins law of physics.

When you engage the warp drive, it warps the space arround the ship reducing the distance and at the same time moves the ship forward into that distance.

Higher warp means higher compression ratio of space, henceforth energy consumption and engine strain does increase.

I think that full impulse (sublight) is something arround 200000 km/sec.(2/3 lightspeed)

Higher than that and relativistic effects became to notable... at least according the Star Trek.

April 16, 2013 3:06:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The compression is around the bubble, not inside it.  That would compress the ship as well.  There are diagrams showing this, as well as in show statements that space inside the bubble is normal.

It's okay, you can still keep your nerd card.

April 19, 2013 8:48:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SOA2 0.6D now available,

SOA2 0.6D For Diplomacy/Trinity 1.37

April 19, 2013 10:52:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like the little changes to the UI; having proper + and - buttons are nice, although I notice that the icons for Elite/Cruiser/Frigate have returned to default rather than a federation ship design (at least, that's what's happened for the Feds).

Just a little thing; there's a Romulan Star Empire logo on the Federation's Fleet Supply page - I'm guessing it's not intentional? And gas giants; maps that featured them (such as custom galaxy forge maps) no longer feature them, which can be game breaking (for instance, there's no longer phase lanes between systems). Will you be releasing a galaxy forge fix for this at all?

Also, just as a little query; will you be bringing back the grey race logo colour? I always thought it was a nice little change from the outrageous colours that Sins provided.

Fantastic to have another release - keep up the good work, folks!

April 19, 2013 11:17:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you myfist0 and the whole soa2 team!

Now i can play all night long

April 19, 2013 12:19:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@Yanxa: I hope you deleted or renamed old version.This is a fresh install.

The ROM logo on fleet supply will be fixed when all the skins are fixed. I built a new texture template for ROM skin and used across races for testing. Doing a custom skin for each race will take time.

Grey is for pirates, change it in the Window folder if you like. 

Window/Colors.color

playerColor:0 ffFF0000
playerColor:1 ffFF7A00
playerColor:2 ffFFC705
playerColor:3 ff8FD81D
playerColor:4 ff007037
playerColor:5 ff0EADFF
playerColor:6 ff0044AE
playerColor:7 ffFF87FF
playerColor:8 ff8822B7
playerColor:9 ff00FFFF
playerColor:NPC ffbdbdbd

leave the small ff and use web to pick colours you like

OLD Maps and saves are no longer compatible. The GSD is completely rebuilt.

The "open build management" fed icons will all be redone soon. Someone DDSed all my files and I lost originals when my harddrive failed. To crappy to reuse.

And please, NO SPOILERS PEOPLE

mephistopheles

April 19, 2013 12:59:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, I placed the mod as a separate one to the previous version (I have done this before). 

That pretty much answered my questions. Thank you.

April 19, 2013 5:02:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you Psychoak, and Myfisto for continuing where i left off I wish i could have done something, but RL is what it is.

April 19, 2013 6:28:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I love the new release, but something seems to be broken in singleplayer. Klingons are OK, but either Dominion or Romulans as easy AI make a QTD in 5-10 minutes afrer starting a new 4-player game.

With player as Federation, 3x easy Klingon AI, there's no problem.

One more thing: in Fed research, Pulse Phasers have a lot of upgrades, but since it is only used by the Defiant and the fighters, it is way too expensive (compared to Phaser research for example).

April 19, 2013 8:50:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SoA 2 is meant to be played on hard AI (the highest non cheating AI), and max fleet supply (if it hasn't been changed in the new release). Easy, and Normal AI should only be used by new players to get to know the factions unit's, strengths, and weakness's. It is a known issue that some of the factions are very lethargic, and/or won't expand on easy AI. Since the AI is hard coded there isn't much we can do. The AI seems to work best on hard settings. Do not use Cruel, Insane, or Vicious AI. Especially if you have the Borg in play. Those AI's will cheat the Borg research way earlier than they should have it. Making the Borg almost impossible to beat. Even if you allied with all four factions.

As for the phaser research i believe the "burst phasers" (TMP era WoK style) are tied into this research as well. Again i wont know for sure until i download the new release. I had no hand in making this release. Other than suggestions. If they aren't. They "should" be.

April 19, 2013 9:24:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As far as your crash goes, I'm quite curious as to the circumstances of this.  I believe you're running the mod directly after loading it from in game.  If this is true, you need to reload before playing.  The first run crash is a long time issue, only play the mod when it has been loaded on startup.

If this isn't the case, or you're not crashing on first run when you only use feds and klingons, I need more information.

Aside from that, easy AI is a bad idea.  If you normally play Sins on easy, you need to step up the game to normal for SOA2, it handles the mod poorly by comparison.

April 19, 2013 11:45:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All I have to say so far is......holy crap.

Fist said there would be changes coming and he wasn't kidding. Per request won't reveal some of the changes but very impressed so far with everything. I had to smile several times as new things were revealed. Thanks again for everyone's hard work.

April 20, 2013 6:11:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks everyone, I'll check your recommended settings.

It's been years since I played Sins and SOA, both changed greatly in the past couple of years

April 20, 2013 7:43:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The annoying "First Run Crash Bug" still exists. If you play immediately after enabling the mod chances are you will crash. To avoid this. Enable the mod. Then restart Sins with the mod enabled. It should run fine after this. We don't know why it crashes on first run.

SoA 2 is intended to be played as the four major factions vs an AI Borg opponent (The Borg are OP by design). With the four factions starting out as enemy's. You must use diplomacy to ally with each other to defeat the Borg. How you play the four factions is up to you. However if you want to steamroll the map just for giggles, or just check out the Borg unit's then play as the Borg.

April 20, 2013 9:07:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A human Borg vs 4 allied Insane AIs might be an interesting sight.

April 21, 2013 1:21:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I played Borg, and I was an evil motherf****er for about three hours

Three Assimilation Cubes and you are unstoppable!

April 21, 2013 6:09:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have fighter/bomber speeds been slowed? They look slower. At least playing as the Federation.

Also it would be nice to have different photos under the research sections for the Borg, Romulans, etc.

April 21, 2013 7:13:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have fighter/bomber speeds been slowed? They look slower. At least playing as the Federation.

Speeds are now closer to canon. Little pests are actually supposed to be slower than the frigs/ elites. I'm sure psy will correct me soon.

Also it would be nice to have different photos under the research sections for the Borg, Romulans, etc.

Pics are already done for next patch, already posted info on modDB, if you are referring to the pic for each research section which ROM is already done in 0.6D. Couldn't find squat for DOM, they're using stock pics.

April 21, 2013 7:15:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fighters were using vanilla sins speeds, which are ridiculously fast for Trek.

April 21, 2013 7:34:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

April 22, 2013 7:44:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you so much guys!  Playing this mod over the years has been one of the most incredible trek/gaming experiences I have ever had. The new additions are brilliant!

Thanks again for the hard work you all put into this, it really shows.

April 22, 2013 8:46:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks to everyone who gave us the positive feedback. 

And a thank you to all our loyal Diplomacy users who did not release any spoilers, great work, keep it up. 

Rebellion's modDB page was created today and is waiting for authorization. There is a link to it from the modDB Trinity page but will most likely show a broken link for a day, maybe 2. I listed the release date as June 1 2013 but that's a late expectation, psy and I will try for the next week or 2 but no promises.

Live long and...

oh wait

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. 

April 22, 2013 10:59:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Was playing again tonight. Love the added music. The interface looks more refined from the last diplomacy version as promised. Noticed that some of the ship models/textures are improved. Awesome! The new icons are nice. The new planet types and bonuses (with some being negative which adds to the strategy) are great as well.

Odd question. I am figuring this is a Sins issue and not a SOA issue. The planets don't always look completely round. More like an octagon. Obviously this is a minor observation. I have a 560 Ti card and run with 4x anti-aliasing. Just wondering if this is observable to others.

April 22, 2013 11:10:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting erfield1,
Odd question. I am figuring this is a Sins issue and not a SOA issue. The planets don't always look completely round. More like an octagon. Obviously this is a minor observation. I have a 560 Ti card and run with 4x anti-aliasing. Just wondering if this is observable to others.

Ya, they need to be very large poly counts to get a mesh that huge to look round, not really worth the RAM IMO. Unless enough people want it changed maybe more RAM can be set aside for it, or would you rather more race models in the future?

The planets I added use slightly less polys

April 23, 2013 12:24:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Isn't the Sins engine only able to use 2 GB of RAM? It probably wouldn't be worth it then. I have a decent computer (i7 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM) and get slight hiccups on the larger battles.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000813   Page Render Time: