Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD WIP] Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2 - 0.7.7R Update 6/24/2016

Looking for Modelers and Texture Artists

By on December 14, 2009 11:11:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

SoA2Team

Join Date 03/2009
+37
SOA2 Home
Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers? - Jean Luc Picard
Gameplay
FED
KLI
ROM
DOM
BORG
NPC
Install Rebellion mods tutorial
5054 Replies +12
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 17, 2013 2:42:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
YO, I just want to thank yall again!!... for making the best Star Trek game EVER! Thanks to the Steam Sale, i got a few friends that i have introduced to the mod... we are having fun!. PS, i have checked the hashes and they match , but is there a place to see what the checksum is supposed to be? 0.6.2r
July 17, 2013 3:52:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the string description for a volcanic moon orbiting a J-class giant needs fixing - it just lists it as a J-class planet.

Fixing, thanks  

I like the Trek-style planet classes, but I can't remember all the different types. Could the planet descriptions include the Sins class? eg "M-class terran planet", "J-class gas giant" etc...

Can't, the binary Desc would run off info window, use the icon in conjunction with the desc

i have checked the hashes and they match , but is there a place to see what the checksum is supposed to be? 0.6.2r

We are putting up a new full version soon, I will be sure to add it to the DL description somewhere. As of now we dont list it, just be sure your multi-players match.

July 18, 2013 9:03:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Edit: why wont it let me make paragraphs!!!! Question, PLANETMODULE_DOMINIONORBITALTRADEPORT AKA ds9 uses the sound file "Effect_Resupply.oog" this sound is very loud compared to the others, and it never stops (regardless if something needs resupplying or not) whenever your near a planet with a DOM trade station ;(! , is this sound really necessary to keep? Now for my sake i removed the .oog (and backed it up, also removed Effect_PhaseGate_Loop another really annoying one) from the main sins folder, however im not sure what that will do when i try multi-player. Now from what i remember if i edit the SOA 2 mod to not use that sound... i would be incompatible with other players correct? So that leaved me with trying to just remove the sound itself from the main game files. will removing the game from the main files cause me compatibility problems? Could you please consider, altering/removing the DOM Trade station sound in the future? Also, is there a good guide on the mod it self as far as what settings and difficulty's, and maps its designed to be played on? hypothetical example, on hard ai is broken on 40 planet maps the ai doesn't do anything etc etc. Also a basic guide on how races are meant to be played. nothing too detailed, but a general idea would be usefull and should be considered in the next read-me update.
July 18, 2013 1:54:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Can't, the binary Desc would run off info window, use the icon in conjunction with the desc
I wasn't very clear there - I'd leave the info for binary planets alone, otherwise it would be way too long. I was only suggesting changing the descriptions for single planets, which would be a reference for the binary systems.

July 18, 2013 4:35:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TopAce6,
Could you please consider, altering/removing the DOM Trade station sound in the future?

Sure, it was on the ToDo list.

Using different Sounds or Textures does not alter the mods checksum, however, removing a sound may cause errors that will show in Dev mode. Safest to record a 1 sec blank sound and name it as the one you don't want. 

I will see what I can do for the next update.

Quoting TopAce6,
Also a basic guide on how races are meant to be played. nothing too detailed, but a general idea would be usefull and should be considered in the next read-me update.

In the OP of this thread, use the LCARS UI buttons for quick links to soa2.soase.x90x.net. If you have not been there yet, start at the SOA2 Home Page and use the Next to cycle through the pages like a book. We will be adding more info as specific questions are asked and answered.

Quoting NewHorizons,
I wasn't very clear there - I'd leave the info for binary planets alone, otherwise it would be way too long. I was only suggesting changing the descriptions for single planets, which would be a reference for the binary systems.

If we get more request for this, we will put your request back on the table.

July 18, 2013 4:44:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
If we get more request for this, we will put your request back on the table.

I'm for changing the planet names, as well.

July 18, 2013 5:46:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Unfortunately nothing i do will let me load that web page. for the last week i havent been able to load liveleak Videos either. im wondering if its a related issue. its quite frustrating as im supposed to be a IT expert.
July 18, 2013 6:34:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That website is extremely slow for me and has always been that way. I can leave it loading for minutes and not really get that far. The SOA2 one, that is.

July 18, 2013 6:45:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Uploading SOA2 Web.7z root archive to the SOA2 Skydrive Documents folder. If you can't access that, wait for the modDB download below to be authorized.

I also uploaded a 7z archive of the website to our SOA2 developer page and once modDB authorizes it, you can download from moddb.com/company/soa2-mod-team/downloads/soa2-website. Should be active by tomorrow.

Extract to a SOA2 Web folder on your desktop or somewhere and start with index.html

Quoting IskatuMesk,

That website is extremely slow for me and has always been that way. I can leave it loading for minutes and not really get that far. The SOA2 one, that is.

The site is image intensive, I figured once someone visits, most of the images are stored in TEMP and the page loads much faster. Maybe I will rethink the layout, maybe a text only link as well.

July 18, 2013 8:22:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How big are all of the images on the page size-wise? I should still be nearly instantly loading it, even if it's like 20mb worth.

July 18, 2013 8:40:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Other than the high res wallpaper, it's the same as the top of the modDB page, the basic LCARS image with buttons, all the pages are almost pure text that are loaded into the LCARS element. All the buttons are single colour and are pretty small. Wallpaper is large.

All images for LCARS and the 1st background are loaded initially and don't refresh on page switching, only the element refreshes.

The stars on the bottom right allow background change, these are what are used and are only loaded when you change it. How long to load one? What browser do you use?

Edit: Issue found on backstory-2.html

change
href="/script/SoA2.css"

to
"script/SoA2.css" 

Skydrive new version is up,

new version on modDB is authorized.
http://www.moddb.com/company/soa2-mod-team/downloads/soa2-website 

July 22, 2013 1:17:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey, great work so far. But one question/suggestion; I know in the past you've made it clear you don't want any Brennen/Braga bullcrap, Prometheus and Scimitars and whatnot, but an idea came to me for a compromise in the form of "Special" or "Elite" ships.

The concept uses SoaSE's existing Titan mechanics, but with multiple options (similar to SoaGE), taking the form of unique, specific historical ships from Star Trek, such as the Enterprise D or E, USS Voyager, the IKS Negh'Var, the Borg Queen's Diamond, so on and so forth -- and, yes, the USS Prometheus, Scimitar and other such things. To give each flavour, they could have unique abilities iconic to the ship, like Voyager getting ablative hull armor and Delta Flyers for fighters, the Enterprise E getting Picard's insight into the Borg to make it a "Borg killer".

Something to ponder.

July 22, 2013 8:58:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I too have to say that it wouldn't be a bad option. to have the hero ships. as titans. the alternate universe negvar... that the defiant was circle strafing the hell out of. the scimitar, a dominion super capital ship. and the fed has allot of options, but i think that it would need to be something really big.... because titans should be big imo..... however i will make a exception for the Defiant that we say on ds9... the super rape everything ship...

July 22, 2013 11:20:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there a reason why 3 of the 4 races get the 25% speed boost in the gravity well from the Warp Field Disruptor but the Dominion doesn't? Their ships are so slow.

July 23, 2013 2:43:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi myfist0,

Got a few questions about your mod. I’ve been playing it the past few days and Its very nice mod, but there are some issues that I think you guys might want to think about changing.

First off, the main capitalships you build, Galaxy, Nebula, Sovereign, are entirely too small. These ships are not scaled right against the Cruiser type ships and should be at least three times their size currently.

Do you guys have any plans to address this?

Also, weapon fire and especially the Torpedoes look too bland, not a lot of color to them, and they could possibly use a slight increase in size so they can be seen.

The Economy, why is it that you guys are having the players need to research 2 layers in to get to the first tier of ore refinement?

This really slows the game down at the start, and the last research tier should not be a two, you guys should at least have the last tier set to a three level research.

These are just my observations, and yes I do have a mod that I made for the game. It’s a rebalance mod and I change many of those aspects I told you about because we found that the economy drags out way to long and is to slow if the tiers are set slow.

This is a great mod over all, but my feelings are it needs a few tweaks to really help it in some areas.

July 23, 2013 4:17:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi myfist0,

Got a few questions about your mod.

Please, this mod is a team effort and will never be just 'my mod'. As of now, it's only psychoak and myself but it will always be the SOA2 Team's mod.

First off, the main capitalships you build, Galaxy, Nebula, Sovereign, are entirely too small. These ships are not scaled right against the Cruiser type ships and should be at least three times their size currently.

I was assured by multiple people that the ships are to scale before I half scaled them all, so unless you have some proof to reference I will assume you just want bigger capitals.

Also, weapon fire and especially the Torpedoes look too bland, not a lot of color to them, and they could possibly use a slight increase in size so they can be seen.

With only 2 modders working on this, we need to prioritize. I added and fixed a few particles but have no time to improve existing with so much other work on the todo list already. Feel free to make one and submit for our judgement.

The Economy

psy has the final say on all the research as he is the one that spent many hour on balancing. Personally I think it is fine, if anything, I have way to much to spend.

Is there a reason why 3 of the 4 races get the 25% speed boost in the gravity well from the Warp Field Disruptor but the Dominion doesn't? Their ships are so slow.

Huh? that model is only a placeholder for now and I think psy only set up the klingons to get the speed boost from the nav buoy, not sure though, it's still a WIP.

July 23, 2013 9:49:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Federation, Klingons, and Romulans all have the 25% speed bonus when the navigational buoy is built (for friendly ships in the gravity well). I personally like the bonus after the fighter/bomber speed was reduced when psy said it's not canon which I am sure is probably true. It would just be nice for the Dominion to have it to considering they tend to be weaker than the other races and most of their ships are pretty slow. No big deal though just a thought.

July 23, 2013 10:39:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All of the canon ships are scaled according to the fleet charts on http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/. The non-canon units we did a "best guess" as far as scale was concerned. I scaled all of the main units of the mod myself, and i took great care to make sure they matched the fleet charts.

There had to be a size cap put on the supersized units like the star bases, and Borg cubes. No unit can be larger than 1500 meters on the x axis (even after being half scaled), because any larger they would literally take up half of the gravity well, and be larger than the planets themselves.

The mod is in the hands of Psychoak, and Myfist0. So if they wish to make "hero units" using the titan slots similar to ST: Armada that will be their choice.

July 24, 2013 12:10:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Okay guys, I'm sorry, but I'm going to dispute you on this until hell freezes over.  Trust me when I'm telling you the ships are micro miniatures in the game. the capital ships in scale to the other ships are a jumbled mess.  When a ship levels up in Sins, you know what the capital ship is because it stands out and is larger then life.

BTW, what scale factor did you use?  how does your scaling of the ships compare to those in Sins of their Capitalships?  Id be curious to know what the difference is in the scaling.  Also did you all mess with the zoom factor In the game?  it seems you start zoomed out further.

You may have them scaled to size, but in Sins, they are small. You have to zoom way in to actually see the ships real size. and details.

The only thing I can offer is this web link of the ships and their scale. Dystrom is like the Star Trek of sites when it comes to info on the ships and their capabilities.

http://www.ditl.org/pagsizes-display.php?Ships=1&Sort=Title1,Title2&Script=JS&ListID=SizeCharts

If you all are not willing to change this or reconsider it. How can I get the ships resized?

July 24, 2013 2:05:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ships to Scale

Ships to Scale

Next time show more proof 

Quoting Darksxx,
When a ship levels up in Sins, you know what the capital ship is because it stands out and is larger then life.

Really? Why do people want to play Sins with Trek ships, feel free to go back to Sins. SOA2 DOES NOT USE CAPITALS OR TITANS, we use elites. 

July 24, 2013 2:51:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh great, Another that tries to invoke the "fanon" DITL site like it is "The Ultimate Trek Bible". I am sorry. This is a decade old argument, but that site doe not compare to ex astris. Bernard Schneider uses only canon facts (and he WILL debate you until doomsday about those facts). Nor does he use any fan made stats on his site. Where does DITL get all of their ship stats from (Including ship scales)? Because they certainly did not get those stats from any of the TV shows, Movies, or any other official material. It is all Fanon. Fanon that DITL tries to pass off as fact.

Now before we all get on our high horses over whats canon, and what is fanon. We make no big secret that we stretched canon a little in the mod to make it work, and we use non canon units in here because there is not enough canon ships to fill all of the roles (for all factions except the federation). We try the best we can to keep things as canon as possible (From our own points of view). We DO use some of our own "fanon" in the mod. The ship ability's for example are mostly fanon. Our mod. Our Rules. It is called artistic license. We have our own vision for this mod, and for the last FIVE years it has worked out very well for us. Though i may not be hands on with this project any more i still contribute. Even if only to give advise.

What the hell is the big obsession over Titans? Like what was said. Do you want a Star Trek mod? or Sins of a Solar Empire with Star Trek ship models in it? If that is the case you might as well just play vanilla Rebellion.

July 24, 2013 9:08:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Stress, this is not about Titans, its about the scale of the ships in the game. How do you guys not see that the scale factor is off?

The Scaling I’m referring to, is the way they look in the game now. They all look small.

Guys, I’ve been modding well over 20 years, I’m not just telling you all this for no reason at all.

In sins, everything looks small, they are in no way at all the scale in the game they should be. I’m not the only one who has noticed this. They guys I play with all said the same thing; the ships all look too small in the game all of them!!!

The scale needs to be at least twice the size. And not once did I say Titan size. Have you ever played Star Trek armada? There was no mistaken a Galaxy or Soviern in that game when compared the rest of the ships. Think about it, these ships are larger than today’s Aircraft Carriers, when you place a Carrier up against a Cruiser; you know you’re looking at a Carrier.

Okay fist, like I said, your scale may be right for the ships, but your scale in the game is not. It’s completely off. And why didn’t you answer my question about the scale comparisons in the game to the original ships? What scaling did you use? What’s the scale difference of your ships compared to the originals?

July 24, 2013 11:23:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Nimitz class aircraft carrier is the largest vessel on Earth.  At a little over 330 meters long, it's over half the length of the Galaxy class, 640 meters.  The Excelsior class is over 500 meters in length.  The Defiant class is over 100 meters long.

Do you want ships to be bigger compared to planets?  The diameter of Earth is over 12,000 kilometers.  The typical ship would be less than a thousandth the width of the typical class M.  You can find them in a well without zooming in till the planet obscures the entire background, so they're already massively larger than they should be if scaled accurately.

July 24, 2013 12:44:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In Lightwave, and XSI one unit of measurement equals one meter. Sins ships are scaled 1:1. The map objects are scaled down. The early versions of SoA 2 ships were scaled 1:1 according to the fleet charts. So a Galaxy class is 642 meters. It  is 642 meters in game. We had to put a size limit of 1500 meters for the supersized units like the Borg Cube which is 3000 meters according to the charts. If we true scaled those units then they would look ridiculously large. Even if we increased the gravity wells size.

Since the Rebellion release we half scaled the units (1:2), because there were too many bumper car, and pathfinding issues. The ships are still the same scale compared to each other, but the map objects are bigger in comparison. I didnt notice any camera zoom issues. You can still zoom quite close to the ships.

Compare the entrenchment version to the diplomacy/rebellion versions. You will see the ships are no different compared to each other, but they are smaller compared to the rest of the map. This is intentional to fix movement issues.

July 24, 2013 1:32:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey Stress,

I’m not talking about making ships so large that they cause issues as you stated, I’m referring to their size to ratio currently in the game.

What I’m seeing, and I spoke at length about this with my other friends who also play this game a lot. We all felt that when you are in the game that the zoom factor of seeing the ships as they are look small. There is no feeling that you are seeing ships that feel large. To us, we felt like the ships all have a feel of a fleet of Cruiser grouped together that’s the scale we are seeing.

In Rebellion, even zoomed out, you can tell the ships sizes.

An example I can give for this too is the Fed Ship Yards, compare looking at the ship yards while zoomed out in vanilla sins and your mod. It’s really tough to tell what ship yard is which. The scale on the main Elite Shipyards is not scaled correctly. You have to zoom in to really tell what yard is which. The main Shipyard should be larger. In vanilla sins, you can see this even when zoomed out.

Anyway, I get the feeling that you all are not even going to address this, and that’s to bad. I’m only trying to point out what is very obvious to us. I would even challenge you to go in, resize a few of those ships and do your own side by side comparison. I would want you to be honest about your test.

Thanks guys, not trying to be an ass about this.  I’m sorry if that’s how it came across. I know you guys busted your butts on this mod. We really like the mod a lot. But we just felt that a few minor changes might make it better.

Thanks,

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001594   Page Render Time: