Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD WIP] Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2 - 0.7.7R Update 6/24/2016

Looking for Modelers and Texture Artists

By on December 14, 2009 11:11:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

SoA2Team

Join Date 03/2009
+37
SOA2 Home
Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers? - Jean Luc Picard
Gameplay
FED
KLI
ROM
DOM
BORG
NPC
Install Rebellion mods tutorial
5053 Replies +12
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 26, 2013 6:01:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The sounds were fixed... Once...

The thing was when we used MSN, and SVN people kept uploading older files. Overwriting fixes and updates. I lost count of how many times i fixed messed up textures, and updated models only to see the old crap right back in the dev build the next week. I did it once myself and kicked myself because we had a whole litany of fix's lost (shimmer didnt back them up). It was really frustrating. So chances are the fixed sounds got overwritten by older stuff.

If you still have those fixed sounds hang on to them. We may need them. It is the Romulan sound that clicks.

I tried to find this myself, but everywhere i checked the sounds were messed up (because other noise like music was in the soundbyte). What i would like to do is differenciate between the beam phasers. Have a distinct effect, and sound for the type 12 Phaser (Sovereign). A different effect and sound for the type 10 (Galaxy, Defiant, and Akira). And a different effect for the Type 9 (Ambassador, Intrepid, Steamrunner, etc). Not only that i want to have different sounds per weapon (3 different variations) Like how we did it for the torpedo sounds.

Is there a source for phaser soundbytes that aren't all jacked up?

July 26, 2013 6:21:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't have the sounds anymore I don't think. I will look further for them, but yeah. I might pull them out of your newest version and take a look sometime. I know there was one specific sound I wanted to heavily mangle and see if I could make something cool out of it. I can probably make phaser alterations as well. In some stereo sounds I can remove or lessen the effect of background noise through central channel extraction.

The whole SVN thing sounds really annoying to deal with without strict communication going on. I am glad I never used that for managing my projects, haha.

Phaser soundbytes probably exist in any given star trek game, like the Armada series. I don't have the SFX myself, though.

July 26, 2013 6:52:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Stress & Co,

Please don't forget the cardinal rule of internet message boards: don't feed the trolls.  I know it's frustrating, but over 90% of all of the replies you get on these threads are about how great this mod is, how excellent it is compared to other mods, and similar points.

People who love the mod usually post a handful of times, though there are exceptions who keep hanging around.  The haters get a perverse thrill out of trolling and only come back to be annoying.

Just ignore those folks or report their poor behavior to Ironclad. 

-Tom

July 26, 2013 7:07:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G-ADM_Prawn,

Stress & Co,

Please don't forget the cardinal rule of internet message boards: don't feed the trolls.  I know it's frustrating, but over 90% of all of the replies you get on these threads are about how great this mod is, how excellent it is compared to other mods, and similar points.

People who love the mod usually post a handful of times, though there are exceptions who keep hanging around.  The haters get a perverse thrill out of trolling and only come back to be annoying.

Just ignore those folks or report their poor behavior to Ironclad. 

-Tom

Good post.

July 26, 2013 7:08:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not SVN.  Stress is just doing a fail.  It was Live Sync, I believe they call it Live Mesh now, but they were using a file share setup for version control.

We are on SVN because I refused to put up with that nonsense any longer, now I can go back and unfuck anything someone fucks up.  You have a log with file comparison and full reversion control.  You can step back through the changes made, testing for when a new bug was introduced, find out who the nutbar is that deleted key files and restore them, etc.

Now that the horribly confused loser has checked out of the thread, I'm open to RATIONAL input from people that can form cohesive thoughts and converse in a more objective fashion.  "Armada gets me wet, and these Borg aren't the same" does not cut the mustard.  That's the only thing I was picking up from the guy beyond an inability to proofread.

Assimilation has been altered many, many times, the current state is brand spanking new as of the first Rebellion release and a product of player input.  People said they assimilated too much and ended up with fleets of assimilated ships, so I put additional countermeasures into the system, including a temporary assimilation design that works in Diplomacy.

If the rates are still high, I need examples.  Given sufficient negative feedback by people providing reasoned objections within the design parameter for the Borg(supposed to be OP as shit and take on the rest of them map), I will revisit the designs and spend another week or two modifying and testing out what is now a horribly complicated set of variables.

This is what Im hearing,  WE DONT GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU SAY,

Darksxx, you're an immature brat that spent the last three pages whining about nonsensical personal preferences that, in essence, boil down to what you don't like about Trek.  You are indeed correct, I don't give a fuck.

Just in case you come back.

July 26, 2013 11:36:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting jwagne51,
Edit; you're wrong about it being unplayable, maybe you're just bad at it?

Not playable?   I think jwagne51 has put his finger on it.  

I live the SOA2 mod.  I play it 99.99% of the time that I play Sins and I still get chills when I hear:  "We are the Borg."

I respectfully suggest your opinion is uninformed.  Live long and prosper.

backs out of the room slowly... 

July 27, 2013 12:21:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting RedDwarf999,
I still get chills when I hear:  "We are the Borg."

Haha, me too ... 

Which is exactly how it should be.
But I guess there will always be nublets that always want to play with the 'big boy' toys. 

July 27, 2013 12:35:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting IskatuMesk,
The whole SVN thing sounds really annoying to deal with without strict communication going on. I am glad I never used that for managing my projects, haha.

SVN is the single best modding tool if you have a team, there is no need for direct communication, although psy and I comm almost daily anyway. All I have to do is right click the mod and either commit (upload) or Update (download) or view log to see all the recent changed files and even compare with the previous version to see exactly what lines were added or modified. If we find an error that has been in the mod for over a year, we can easily tell who did it and fix it or revert it to the previous version.

Simply awesome.  

July 27, 2013 1:13:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, I've haven't seen that much flaming since Stant argued about LAA for Sins...First, let me go on record and say thank you guys for all your hard work and talents into making a mod and getting more replay value out of Sins.

For you modders, this is a labor of love. Each of you have a life outside of SOA, bills, kids. You name it. Plus, you are not benefitting from this monetary none whatsoever... 

The way I look at this is, one. Don't play the mod if you don't like it. And two, if you don't like it, learn to mod so you can have it the way you want. Or go back to checkers or tiddlywinks if that is more of your speed.

Fellows, keep up the great work you do and it ain't much, but you all will get karma from me ...

@ IskatuMesk, you get karma for being an innocent bystander which I thought was hilarious ...

July 27, 2013 2:36:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,

SVN is the single best modding tool if you have a team

Well, I've never run a project with a team larger than 3, and I basically just acted as the master server outsourcing specific tasks and handled the implementation myself. I'm used to doing the 99% work of a project, though, including all testing. So for me it's natural to say "hey I need this", get it, and do the rest.

July 27, 2013 3:00:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It was the old windows live sync that totally screwed us up. Since switching to SVN we haven't had any issues with accidental overwrites any more.

When the mod first started it was just me doing all of the work for a long time. Now the project is so big, and i have been out of the loop so long i wouldnt know where to begin to do any kind of work. We do need more people. Especially if we are to get all of the art assets finished.

July 27, 2013 6:20:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
Now the project is so big, and i have been out of the loop so long i wouldnt know where to begin to do any kind of work.

Stick with what you know, MODELS, we need em 

I wants my Sona's   and I will bitch and mone and wine and sware and use bader speeling tills i gets thems.

July 27, 2013 6:40:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hey fist, that was a minor bit of cuffing for that ID10T that should have known better, but you almost earned a cufflink to go with the fist and the cuff.

harpo

July 27, 2013 10:09:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I use SVN for my mod even though I'm the only person that works directly on it.

Eclipse also hooks up nice with it and coupled with my Plugin and other tools I've made- it's a pretty nice modding environment. 

I can't say I'm surprised a lot of the mods have finally gone the SVN route. I know I was promoting that over file sharing when I first joined these forums. 

July 27, 2013 10:30:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,

Quoting IskatuMesk, reply 4244I don't know if I still have them. A lot of interns got hucked into the furnace between then and now. I don't see the archive anywhere immediately.

I fixed a whole bunch of stereo issues on weapon sounds, removed all the static/empty tails from a bunch of unit responses, stuff like that.

Ya before my time. I already fixed 90% of them, there is still 1 engine with a click on the end that loops I have to find. ROM or KLI I think.

name "Romulan_Engine"
    fileName "Romulan_Engine.ogg"
    type "Effect"
    is3D TRUE
    priority 5
    threshold 25000.000000
    minAttenuationDist 1000.000000
    maxNumPlayingSimultaneously 5
    isLooping TRUE
    isResident TRUE
    minRespawnTime 0.1
    fadeInTime 0.0
    fadeOutTime 0.0
    alternateGroup ""

name "Klingon_Engine"
    fileName "Klingon_Engine.ogg"
    type "Effect"
    is3D TRUE
    priority 5
    threshold 25000.000000
    minAttenuationDist 1000.000000
    maxNumPlayingSimultaneously 5
    isLooping TRUE
    isResident TRUE
    minRespawnTime 0.1
    fadeInTime 0.0
    fadeOutTime 0.0
    alternateGroup ""

name "Fed_Engine"
    fileName "Fed_Engine.ogg"
    type "Effect"
    is3D TRUE
    priority 1
    threshold 25000.000000
    minAttenuationDist 400.000000
    maxNumPlayingSimultaneously 4
    isLooping TRUE
    isResident TRUE
    minRespawnTime 0.1
    fadeInTime 1.0
    fadeOutTime 0.7
    alternateGroup ""

Maybe the minAttenuationDist, FadeInTime, or FadeOutTime is the problem? I used Control+f looking for "engine"

Edit, this is the Trinity mod.

Edit; reposting because it was the last post on the last page.

July 27, 2013 5:01:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

I use SVN for my mod even though I'm the only person that works directly on it.

Eclipse also hooks up nice with it and coupled with my Plugin and other tools I've made- it's a pretty nice modding environment. 

I can't say I'm surprised a lot of the mods have finally gone the SVN route. I know I was promoting that over file sharing when I first joined these forums. 

I don't know if I will be in good enough health to do a project after Ret, but I'm pretty sure I'd be sticking to the outsourced file sharing method for many years to come. I'm not a team player anyways.

July 27, 2013 6:27:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

" Its a trek based mob not a rebellion based mod."  VeniVdVici 

quote from rebs ModDB page

typo FTW 

July 29, 2013 9:29:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very impressed with this mod so far.  I couldn't play until the rebellion version came out (minidumps   ), but I'm glad I waited.  Unfortunately I didn't understand that the Borg were deliberately OP yet, and had a rather hard time holding one off with a tossed-together fleet.  Wasn't so happy losing half my ships to Klingon battlecruisers then watching the rest get assimilated by three spheres including the USS Defiant...  .

I did have one idea though, since you wanted the game to be based on alliances.  When you play with bots, the AI still treats pacts as the same thing they were in Sins rather than research prerequisites, so there's a gap with pacts with the same faction.  It might be interesting to try making intra-faction pacts, like subspace weapons for the Klingons or Phase-Cloaking tech for the Federation (as if they had given up on their diplomatic relations with the now hostile Romulans and Klingons).  It doesn't exactly play into the alliances against the Borg idea you were working on for pacts though, so I'm not saying that the current system doesn't work.  Maybe you can also get duplicate pacts so you can give them to more than one faction.

And you know I'm a nerd because the ship I saw in game that most made my day... was the Deep Space Cruiser.  And I even assimilated it... Shaka, when the walls fell  .

July 29, 2013 1:44:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darksxx,

This is what Im hearing,  WE DONT GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU SAY, 

Fine, be the bucnh of assholes you all are being, but dont expect a lot of people to play a mod thats unplayable.

End of Tranmission, these modders have been Assimulated into morons!!!

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
From what I've seen of game developers (not the PR guys) we have more in common with them than Dark's perception of how they should be.

Guess I was right.

Mercy for thee but not for me

July 29, 2013 1:51:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,

Quoting Major Stress, reply 4261Now the project is so big, and i have been out of the loop so long i wouldnt know where to begin to do any kind of work.

Stick with what you know, MODELS, we need em 

I wants my Sona's   and I will bitch and mone and wine and sware and use bader speeling tills i gets thems.

One Sona Battleship coming soooooon.

July 29, 2013 10:29:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
One Sona Battleship coming soooooon.

You mean bitching and whining actually works to get what you want? 

Off to visit the pretty girl next door   

On another note, seems that the x90x sight is no longer available due to CPU limit reached. I have checked the stats and indeed there is way to many visits for a free web host and for this I have moved the soa2 subdomain to another site. All the links are fixed and I will work a little more on the soa2 custom css theme sheet soon. I will also be posting a lot of our info on the modDB tutorial pages just incase we lose the site again.

Sacrifice of Angels 2 - Home Page

1st day, already over 700 unique visitors without me even posting about it.

July 29, 2013 10:59:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there a MOD preference of Fleet size i should play on? large normal? 

Edit: ... in general, does large vs normal fleet size contribute to late game lag in a large way? or is it other things like trade ships that cause the most problems.

July 29, 2013 11:45:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there a MOD preference of Fleet size i should play on? large normal?

Game is designed around all settings to normal.

in general, does large vs normal fleet size contribute to late game lag in a large way? or is it other things like trade ships that cause the most problems.

Bigger fleets will, of course, contribute to late game lag, although I spent many hours optimizing SOA2 and it does run much better at late game than the stock game does. If you have a good computer, it should handle it. For some reason, more stars makes it worse.

July 30, 2013 11:17:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So what's this new black magic that creates this awesome Starfleet Command emblem in the upper left?

July 30, 2013 11:31:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
So what's this new black magic that creates this awesome Starfleet Command emblem in the upper left?

Now off with you before your avatar turns into a pink pony!    

One of my favorite quotes, "Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead." 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001375   Page Render Time: