Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Starbase banks - details

By on February 1, 2010 5:28:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

N3rull

Join Date 10/2008
+42

I have a question of a strategic background, though I suppose modders are best suited to answer it.

Anyway, I wanted to know everything about starbases, particularly their weapons, specifically their banks.

A little picture for easier reference:

First problem - backstory:

• When a ship approaches from LEFT, he gets smacked by beams from hardpoints 1 and 2.
  • When a ship approaches from UP, he gets smacked by 2 and 3.
  • When a ship approaches from BAD IDEA, he gets smacked by beams from hardpoints 1, 2 and 3. I know this is not just graphics, I have checked it and the damage difference is undeniable.

QUESTION1: Are hardpoints 1 and 2 a joint graphic for LEFT bank coverage (as in: they always shoot together and the game treats them as one gun), or are they independant (as in: each covers its own 'corner' of the starbase)?
REITERATION: When a ship approaches from BAD IDEA direction, is he hit for 200% rail gun damage because he is eating juice from both UP and LEFT rail banks, or is he taking 150% damage because he gets shot from guns 1, 2 and 3, instead of just 1 and 2 for instance?

Second problem - backstory:

When you pimp out your starbase with the second offensive upgrade, it gets an attack that seems omnidirectional. Orky shoots phase missiles from all around itself which then turn towards their target. Argonev has its own missiles which do the same. Transcencia spits those blueish farts from its two "horns" which also turn towards their target.

QUESTION2: Are those attacks really omnidirectional, os it is just a graphic?
REITERATION: We know that a ship attacking the Argonev on the picture from BAD IDEA direction gets increased rail beam damage for getting in range of more than one bank of guns. Will that same ship get increased damage from missiles as well, or do they not care where the ship comes from?

QUESTION3: I know that Orky has a side pulse cannon array. Is it less powerful than the front one? by how much? It seems to fire dwo dozen pulse "bubbles" while the frontal bank fires two or three times more. Just a graphic, or is the side pulse cannon bank really half as strong damage-wise?

QUESTION3-Omega version : Can someone post exact statistics of how many targets with what basic DPS can each bank of each starbase (orky is what I'm most interested in) do?
What I mean is something like:

Orkulus pulse cannons can aquire:
X targets up front dealing XX base DPS to each
Y targets on each side bank dealing YY base dps to each
Z targets to the rear dealing ZZ base DPS to each.
X = ... ; Y = ... ; Z = ...
XX = ... ; YY = ... ; ZZ = ...

Orkulus Disintegrator arrays:
X targets up front dealing XX base DPS to each
Y targets on each side bank dealing YY base dps to each
Z targets to the rear dealing ZZ base DPS to each.
X = ... ; Y = ... ; Z = ...
XX = ... ; YY = ... ; ZZ = ...

{and again for phase missiles}

I do not expect everyone to waste their whole day compiling a fully detailed and complete essay on starbase weapons, but any (correct) answer, shedding some light on any of the issues would be damn appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 1, 2010 5:49:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1. As far as I can tell via observation, Argonev's beams (and missiles) are comprised of 1+2 for LEFT, 2+3 for UP, 3+NaN for NaN, NaN+1 for NaN.

2. Yeah, it's in more banks at once.

3. No.

3-Omega. Lot simpler than you think. All starbases can acquire four targets per bank, all weapons appear on all four banks, all weapons have the same damage for all four banks bank. Take the infocard DPS, divide by four, and you get the DPS for each bank for each target.

February 1, 2010 5:50:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

question 3 is the easiest as damage is equal on all sides

DamagePerBank:FRONT 186.000000
    DamagePerBank:BACK 186.000000
    DamagePerBank:LEFT 186.000000
    DamagePerBank:RIGHT 186.000000
    Range 8000.000000
    PreBuffCooldownTime 5.000000

so you have 37.2 damage per second at each four banks for a total of 149 damage

as to question 2 I think its omnidirectional but Im not sure

question 1 is a bit more difficult as Im not totally sure if banks and null points are the same (where you see it fire is the location of one or banks) but I am going to assume that is true, I do know that each bank has a 180° firing radius so they will overlap like you pointed out with a potential three weapon sides at certain points, most likely at the 45, 135, 225, 315 points with the 0 point being at front

February 1, 2010 8:54:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

use z axis and go under the sb, shoot kill no lost ships gg ^^

its a bit of an abuse but its still in da game

February 2, 2010 12:40:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Most people consider this outright cheating, though.

February 2, 2010 1:15:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvin3,

Most people consider this outright cheating, though.

That's because it is.  How could anyone argue that it isn't?

February 2, 2010 4:45:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks everyone for replying!

Two little things:

- Kitkun - you said, as I understand, that missile attacks are not omnidirectional, so it's just the graphic that they turn and they still have max of four targets per bank - rite?
- I had heard it said sometime ago that orky is more offensively inclined because "most of its guns are facing forward". From your answers I take it that it's LIEZ. Rite?

Quoting KL3MZ,
use z axis and go under the sb, shoot kill no lost ships gg ^^

I am fully aware of this "bug" (i would call it). However, this thread I needed for other reasons

February 2, 2010 12:45:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

- Kitkun - you said, as I understand, that missile attacks are not omnidirectional, so it's just the graphic that they turn and they still have max of four targets per bank - rite?
- I had heard it said sometime ago that orky is more offensively inclined because "most of its guns are facing forward". From your answers I take it that it's LIEZ. Rite?
Yes and yes.

February 2, 2010 12:47:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting N3rull,

well it has guns on all sides but it has the frontal shield and I think that is what they mean

February 2, 2010 3:23:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Can someone clarify what type of attacks are those of the starbases' weapons? Are they all "capital"-type or something else?

And what exactly are the damage bonuses against various stuff of the "anti-module" kind of attack the Orky's disintegrator arrays have? I can't find it anywherez.

Thanks in advance.

February 2, 2010 4:25:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

pulse guns are anti heavy

DamagePercentBonus:ANTIHEAVY:CapitalShip 0.5
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIHEAVY:VeryLight 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIHEAVY:Light 0.75
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIHEAVY:Medium 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIHEAVY:Heavy 1.5
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIHEAVY:VeryHeavy 0.5
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIHEAVY:Module 0.5

disintegrators are anti module

DamagePercentBonus:ANTIMODULE:CapitalShip 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIMODULE:VeryLight 0.25
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIMODULE:Light 0.25
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIMODULE:Medium 0.5
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIMODULE:Heavy 0.75
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIMODULE:VeryHeavy 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:ANTIMODULE:Module 2.0

missiles are capital ship

DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:CapitalShip 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:VeryLight 0.25
        DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Light 0.75
        DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Medium 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Heavy 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:VeryHeavy 1.0
        DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Module 0.75

February 2, 2010 4:46:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks a lot! I only asked for the anti-module table since it's the only one not present in the game mechanics sticky (could be slightly outdated I s'pose but still gives you an idea of what sucks/rocks against what), though it's nice of you to have posted them all

Would I officially be deemed a forum nuisance if I asked what are the damage types for other starbases' weapons? just the types

I hope (and I believe you all do as well) that it's my last question

PS. Now as I read through the tables, this:

pulse guns are anti heavy

has to be the biggest fail possible. The one most powerful attack of the Orky (more basic damage than any other) has nerfed effectiveness against everything that can deal it any serious damage and a boost against everything that the enemy will not let the orky catch anyway (like carriers).
Fail.
I wonder how other SBs' fare here, cause if I see any composite or anti-medium attack type among their first two weapon types, I'm gonna rant in the patch changelog thread >.<

February 2, 2010 5:31:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Holy SH...

I just ripped out from the files that all argonev/transcencia weapons are capitalship type.

I'm going to sleep now and I'm having an exam tomorrow, but afterwards I'm gonna do some calculations and I suppose it will end up with another flamewar.

antiheavy, f***in joke. 

February 2, 2010 6:04:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, the Orky's Pulse Guns should be either COMPOSITE for better dealing with lighter targets, or CAPITALSHIP like the other 2.

February 2, 2010 7:29:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Whoops, I just assumed the pulse guns were Cap damage type as I looked at all weapons for all of them but that.

February 2, 2010 9:38:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cheating? lol

cheating isnt that gotta figure out what a dictionary is

z axis is in the game

the fact that only the TEC sb can't fire up or down is something the devs should fix but that dosen't mean using that hole is cheating ^^

a bug abuse maybe

anyway karma is gona throw me a text 3 pages long if i don't say it so :

i won't read it karma so forget it ^^ i'm not even serious here so don't bothr

February 3, 2010 4:56:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

a bug abuse maybe
Which is cheating.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: