Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

This hard drive has thwarted me at every turn....

By on February 8, 2010 3:10:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

CaptainAand...

Join Date 06/2008
+14

MY hard drive was running out of space, so i went to best buy and picked up a 1TB WD Caviar Black.

I used Drive Image XML to copy my old hard drive to my new one (instead of reinstalling everything, and to avoid buying a new OS). The problem is XP is telling me that my 1TB drive is 153GB, the same size as my old one.

I have tried reparitioning, having XP rescan the disks, even reformatting and re-imaging from the old drive, it still keeps telling me that its 153GB.

So does anybody know how to reclaim that extra ~900GB?

(Karma and a warm fuzzy feeling inside if you do )

Thanks

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 8, 2010 3:20:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You might be able to go into the component manager in administrative tools. Go to disk management and see if it shows the rest as unallocated. From there you can format/partition and assign it a letter it as if it was another drive. I have to do that when I reinstall my XP cause my disk is sans service packs and will only show 131GBs upon install.

February 8, 2010 3:40:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not saying this is the case, but are you sure the Caviar Black is good? Have you run a chk_dsk (including surface scan) on it?

February 8, 2010 3:54:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DethAdder,
You might be able to go into the component manager in administrative tools. Go to disk management and see if it shows the rest as unallocated. From there you can format/partition and assign it a letter it as if it was another drive. I have to do that when I reinstall my XP cause my disk is sans service packs and will only show 131GBs upon install.

I have tried that, it tells me i have 50GB of free space and 153GB total, and then it shows a partition size of 981GB. It's annoying the F%^# out of me if i can be blunt. The only thing i can think of is XP was installed on the 150GB drive so it only "sees" 150GB cause the WD is a carbon copy image.

Quoting DrJBHL,
Not saying this is the case, but are you sure the Caviar Black is good? Have you run a chk_dsk (including surface scan) on it?

Thats the first thing i thought, but it is good. I've done check disk and  had it run as an empty secondary drive and it will report its full capacity, just not when i image it as the system drive.

Thanks DethAdder and DR, but its being stubborn...

February 8, 2010 7:09:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

BartPE disk with SwissKnife plugin.

February 8, 2010 8:31:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting yrag,
BartPE disk with SwissKnife plugin.

I was hoping one of the forum gods would show up, I'll try it yrag.

February 8, 2010 9:33:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

MY hard drive was running out of space, so i went to best buy and picked up a 1TB WD Caviar Black.

I used Drive Image XML to copy my old hard drive to my new one (instead of reinstalling everything, and to avoid buying a new OS). The problem is XP is telling me that my 1TB drive is 153GB, the same size as my old one.

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Managment    choose storage and it should show you hard drives and the unallocated space should show up black highlight it and choose format and you should be good to go

February 8, 2010 10:09:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can resize partition using acronis and/or a linux boot disk, but not XP(vista and 7 have the capability of extending partitions). You can also simply format the extra 800+ GB and use it for storage.

February 9, 2010 5:09:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gparted works pretty good for resizing a Windows partition.

February 9, 2010 2:26:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've tried to resize the partition, disk management tells me the whole 900GB is partitioned and usable, but anywhere else in the OS it says its a 150GB disk with 50GB of free space. I tried using partition magic, but since the disk is already partitioned, it did nothing. I thought new tech was suposed to make things simpler....

Quoting WinMonster2,

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Managment    choose storage and it should show you hard drives and the unallocated space should show up black highlight it and choose format and you should be good to go

It tells me all the space is allocated. Maybe I should try making the partition the same size as all the data on the drive and then formatting the rest?

Yrag, I can't find the tools you mentioned. Links please?

February 9, 2010 2:58:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It tells me all the space is allocated. Maybe I should try making the partition the same size as all the data on the drive and then formatting the rest?

Yep - that's how Drive Image works. You need a partition the same size as the one you're restoring. Or, if you can, restore to a disk which is still raw. In either case you will have to create a second partition. You can then if you wish merge the two partitions to give one large one.

February 9, 2010 3:56:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

Yep - that's how Drive Image works. You need a partition the same size as the one you're restoring. Or, if you can, restore to a disk which is still raw. In either case you will have to create a second partition. You can then if you wish merge the two partitions to give one large one.

This finally worked, thanks everyone!

Next upgrade is the OS (hopefully)

February 9, 2010 6:15:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If that's the best drive image can do then dump it for acronis or ghost or there's always macrium reflect which is free,there should be no need to have to use a particular size partition when imaging to another drive as it can be set to proportional or reduce or increase the about to be new clone that includes using all the drive,you can if need be clone or image to a smaller drive so long as the data does'nt exceed the drives capacity,personally i prefer images as my storage vessels

As for merging there's no need besides that's just asking for corruption just use a partitioning tool like gparted or that crap pm8.0 to delete the extended partition if there is one then use resize to increase C,again stay clear of merging

February 9, 2010 7:18:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You could have used Gparted. It's as simple as booting into Gparted and telling the program to make the Windows partiotion bigger. Beats having 2 partitions on the same drive while using Windows.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time: