Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

AI too hard!

By on February 12, 2010 11:33:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hooahguy

Join Date 08/2009

ive never had this problem before.

i tried a new game, on normal.

i got CRUSHED. huge waves of enemies swarming at my planets.

so i tried a smaller game, on easy.

same thing, but the swarms occured a bit later than on normal.

scenario:

i have 3 capital ships, 2 kol, one akkan, and about 30 frigates, and a starbase.

the advent invade with at first 3 capital ships and 10 frigates. at first i seemed to do well, but out of the blue another two capital ships come, and an enemy starbase begins to construct itself in my starwell.

i retreated, only losing my akkan, while i rest and rearm in my neighboring planet. but i must ask, what is with the AI in diplomacy? im tempted to go back to entrenchment. at least the AI was resonable back then.

and in entrenchment, the first 2 difficulties were a breeze. i got challeges from hard and up.

"easy" shouldnt mean huge waves of enemy capital ships.

i have the feeling that the developers are trying to force us to use diplomacy.

Locked Post 63 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2010 12:32:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Get better? I can faceroll 8 Cruel AI's by myself. All sarcasm and elitism aside though I'm not sure what to tell you. The difficulty of the game feels the same to me overall. I tend to warmonger with my Advent. Twin Halycon's are great for this. Um how long time wise was this into the game? Really without more details or a save game its hard to give advice. Because quite frankly I don't think the problems with the game itself.

February 12, 2010 12:44:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Its not per se the they made it harder. They tweaked the AI so its more productive and such. They will spend alot more of their cash they get unlike previous builds. So your gonna see more ships, more Caps. And better ships now that the AI will reserach better.

February 12, 2010 12:54:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

it probably is me.

im about 3 hours into the game, using the Distant Stars mod. i think its the Gateway map, the one with one planet, called Gateway, leading to another star, Xi. i own a third of the main system, and the entirety of the Xi system.

so, dragoaskani, any tips to defeat my enemy? even with a fleet of 30 frigates and 3 capital ships i cant beat them.

their Revelation class ships strike really hard with my ships. they had three of them last time!

February 12, 2010 1:02:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alot more Frigates, depending on the speed of the game your playing, 30 Frigates is a low number IMHO. Having repair bays are a must if your on the defense.

February 12, 2010 1:06:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I suggest you to do not build a starbase in such phase. You are better off getting more ships. Starbases should maybe come just after you have so many caps, from 5 minimum and correlated economy. This is very unproductive if you upgraded the starbase because its so much more expensive and cant move arround like your ship forces; chances are youll loose other planets and your economy will freeze to much. The economy is extremely important in the beggining for the main researches and to amass fleet. Also, if you upgraded it, even had to go all that path to research starbase and some upgrades, spenting even more. With that fleet I think it was to much early to build a start base and a sentency in case you upgraded it.

February 12, 2010 1:10:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I play modless so I will just go over generic RTS staples then just to avoid any irrelevence.

A) are you micromanaging your fleet, or just letting them fire freely.(focus fire wins the day when you can spare the time to stay on one battle front)

B ) Are you Focusing on Their caps, or their Frigates? (This of course requires you to have answered yes to Micromanagement on question A. Depending on the situation it can sometimes be MUCH more prudant to save the capitals for last, or next to last and clear out any LRF's or Carriers, ect)

C) You don't mention what 30 frigates you are using. I assume these are LRF's at this point?

D) What approach have you taken towards your Military Research? (weapons boosted? shields? hulls? For TEC I prefer to boost weapons on relevent ships, then Hulls, I don't often waste early research funds on Shields for them, they aren't Advent afterall.)

E) Er thats all I got, the clicky clicky in your post doesn' t do anything so erm yeah.

F) Just Cause.

G) 1 less cap, more LRF's early on.

H) Shift+Click queues up focus fire sequences quickly in battle.

February 12, 2010 1:30:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sorry for the accidental link. because your name was in it it made the enitire sentence a link to your name or s/t.

im using cobalts, not sure waht you mean by LRF. im guessing it means long range frigate.

sometimes i use focus fire, but im guessing that i should from now on.

i try to take down the revelation class ships first. they KILL me.

in tech, ive conentrated on laser tech, and moderate amounts of tech on hull and shield regeneration.

so if i had ten points, it would be 6 in lasers, 2 in hull, 2 in shields.

i dont think my economy suffers from my starbases. i have an entire system to myself, and no one else can even get close to it, because of my heavily defended planet which is the only one that leads to the sun of the system.

February 12, 2010 1:52:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Theres your problem then. The cobalts. They are junk sadly over all. You would be better off with tons of LRF's. Alot more damage for not much weaker armor hp. And yes they stand for Long Range Frigates.  If you had 50 LRFS with your 2 capitals, you would shred enemy ships like no tomorrow. (note I am still advocating dropping a cap.) I tend to play advent and have to wait even longer then you to get my Illuminators online but its important to make use of LRF's. They are much more powerful then your Cobalts ever will be. Though Cobalts do have their uses, like they are technically good at hunting Carriers. Though I tend to not worry about that usage of them.

February 12, 2010 1:53:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well ok, I just wonder why not more ships then. Since you were guarding the only access to you then looks much viable. By the way, yesterday I found out what LRF meant but couldnt guess LRM neither flak. Can someone point me what they refer to? Thanks in advance.

February 12, 2010 1:59:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

LRM? Never heard that one used, I assume its a typo on LRFs. Flak stands is a reference to Flak ships, aka antiaircraft ships which used Flak Cannons I believe in WW1 or 2. My history might be off, but the reference is correct.

*edit: I guess since Vasari use missles perhaps some people just call them LRM to stand for long range missles.

February 12, 2010 3:42:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thank you so much!  now i know to gradually replace my cobalts with LRF!

cheers, ill keep you guys updated on what happens.

heres a link to the LRM:

http://sinsofasolarempire.wikia.com/wiki/Javelis_LRM_Frigate

February 12, 2010 4:13:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The LRF (which is the easy way of saying, cover all 3 races long range ships) will be the bread and butter of your fleet. Coblats (LF) are still usefull but wont make up the main bulk of your fleet. I also suggest if your going TEC to get Hoski, the repair support cruiser.

February 12, 2010 4:25:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i actually used 25 cobalts with an Akkan as support to clear out the enitre Xi system in my current game. you know, the one where my rear end is getting handed to me by the advent.

February 12, 2010 5:10:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is that your garrison fleet?  Personally on TEC when I play, I use marza with 1-2 dunov along with some LRF and hoshinkos at my choke points.  All with the necessary support structures too of course.  Things like 2-3 repair bays, a few fighter bays around the starbase for anti-strikecraft support etc.  That along with a starbase is enough to hold off almost all but the biggest assault fleets the AI can throw at me.  If AI throws everything and the kitchen sink, that combo will hold the spot long enough for me to move more ships from other planets to help.

February 12, 2010 5:33:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I used to, more often than not, play a mellow game...yeah, against easy AIs.  It was relaxing, now, even against easy, I have to actually be awake to play.  I am liking the new high-difficulty "cheating" AIs though.  That was the other end of the spectrum, when I DID want to play and went against Hards...it was kinda snoozy.

All in all, I like it.

February 13, 2010 11:35:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

dunov? always thoguht them as worthless.

February 13, 2010 11:52:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Shield restore.  Dunovs can turn those capital ships into nigh invincible ships.

You're going to have to seriously step up your game.  That fleet is more like thirty minutes than three hours.

Be careful with your ships, utilize the advantage in survivability that you capital ships have when taking neutrals, and defending against pirate raids.  With two L3+ Dunovs on shield restore and a Kol running adaptive shields, you could take the top strength pirate raid with zero casualties by having the Dunovs jump in after the Kol.

Pirates are far more powerful now, if you're losing ships and planets to them instead of gaining experience, that alone has put a serious dent in your competitive edge against the AI.  The AI also builds up it's planets better.  Attacks are happening later, but become far more frequent later on.  This too is a serious problem if you're not building up as well.  The difference between fortified planets and unfortified planets is the difference between a couple capital ships being enough to fight off a thousand fleet points and needing several hundred fleetpoints to do the same thing.  The difference between maxing out your logistical slots and not is half the fleet strength, and twice as long to afford it.

Slacker play is less of an option now than it used to be, they're just not quite as retarded.  Haul ass on the planet aquisition, get your front lines beefed up, set up some serious trade, and get that tech up as fast as reasonable.  If you're playing well, unfair should be fairly easy.  The higher difficulties are... difficult.

February 13, 2010 11:57:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dunovs worthless!? don't let Carbon hear you say that

They are not worthless with their sheild restore, though I wouldn't use them as a first cap (looks at Carbon) they are a great support cap for a Kol or Marza both of which do great against the AI, especially a lvl 6 Marza (Missile Barrage FTW), but mix some Hoshikos with a Dunov and Repair bay and you can keep just about any cap alive. heck with a lvl 6 Kol and a starbase with supply depot I've hit 85 HPS repair, have a screenie if you want it

February 14, 2010 12:22:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

actually my first cap is always and akkan, for its colonizing purposes.

looks like i need to play more SINS.

now, any tips on fighting a Revelation class capital ship? those things kill me.

February 14, 2010 12:24:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

dunov? always thoguht them as worthless.

Dunovs worthless!? don't let Carbon hear you say that

Thats right!!! These ships are my favorite and most misunderstood TEC ship.  They are the best TEC Cap out there. Granted not the best first Cap to start with, but I make it work...muhahahahahaha. As a few have said their Shield Restore will make most Caps tanks(Note: 2+ are really needed to be boss freaking awesome). NOT to even mention EMP Blast. If your having Advent trouble, this sir is your answer. Since Advent are reliant on their shields and AM. Which EMP takes care of. ANNNDDD....then there is Magnetize...again Advent love their SC. Since it seems your having trouble with Advent Caps. Dunvo's are the answer! OH! Flux Field will allow any of your ships spam AM abilites.

If you dont use Dunvos right your missing a large part of TEC Cap power. Its a support powerhouse, both offensive and defensive.

Anyhow I could sing the Dunvos praises for days!!! LOL, you should try a Dunvo wolf pack+ 1 Akkan (another awesome Cap). Muhahahahahahaha...

February 14, 2010 12:25:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bombers

lots and lots of bombers

or LRFs

Revelation's have that nasty Reverie ability which can mess up single targets but it has no good area of effect abilities so use something with lots of numbers

February 14, 2010 12:27:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

wow! looks like ive missed a TON of info on the Dunov!

now info on how to beat a group of Revelation class ship? like 3 at a time?

February 14, 2010 12:29:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

now, any tips on fighting a Revelation class capital ship? those things kill me.

EMP, Magnatize, Ion Bolt.

February 14, 2010 12:36:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

how many dunovs are necessary? two?

February 14, 2010 12:41:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

why, the wiki page was perfect

one is good for supporting others, you would need two for self-support

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time: