Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

[Tutorials] Modding, Reference Files, Modeling, Texturing & Converting

Download Links and Tutorials for Modding SoaSE

By on February 18, 2010 8:47:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

myfist0

Join Date 01/2010
+296

The Forge Tools 3 has modding documentation which is a good introduction, but some of the information is outdated and has changed for Entrenchment and Diplomacy. According to the Sins Mod Set you will need to copy the ENTIRE folder set from your SoaSE install directory to the created mod folder, then convert the files you wish to modify to text. Those which are not included will not be used by the game.

For the Entrenchment, Diplomacy expansions and Rebellion, you only have to include the files that you want to change and if you want to "remove" an original file you have to remove it from the entity manifest (which is explained in the documentation). Also note that it includes some reference files which are outdated and you will need to create your own or download the 7z archive below that includes all current versions.

Each faction can build a max of 9 tactical, 9 logistic, 9 capitals, 9 frigates and 9 cruisers (note that frigates and cruisers are the same, but they are just shown on different places in the U.I.). You can also place tactical modules in a logistics slot and vice-versa. An entity can have a max of 3 different weapons. As far as it is known there isn't any limit on research levels.

TECH = TEC
PSI = Advent
PHASE = Vasari

The first thing on a new modder's list should be the Developer.exe's. Weather you are starting to build a new mod or testing a downloaded mod this tool is very useful for finding errors and game testing. If you are not sure about the errors generated or you want to keep track of them you will want to Enable Logging, then you can copy the information to paste into a thread in the modding forum.

Reference Files

To view or link individual Reference Files, follow the version below.

Rebellion vs Trinity install and mod paths

Rebellion
(Win 7 - 64bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\My Games\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion

Trinity [Orininal Game with Entrenchment & Diplomacy Expansions]
(Win 7 - 64bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Sins of a Solar Empire - Trinity
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire

Orininal Game [with or without Entrenchment & Diplomacy Expansions]
(Win 7 - 64bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock Games\Sins of a Solar Empire
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire

See Also:   SoaSE Modder's

Install Mods

Getting Your Mod Made
SoaSE Mods on WinCustomize
SoaSE Mods on ModDB
SoaSE Wiki

Developer Guide
Developer Errors

Pinned Post 99 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 18, 2010 8:48:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Know that you can use ANY modeling program to create your mesh. Be it 3DSMaxLightwave, MayaBlender, etc. etc. However to make it ready for import into sins you must finish it in XSI. This is mainly because of the tangents, and the way XSI assigns materials to the mesh. Which means your modeling program must be able to export into a format XSI can import. .Obj is a good choice. If that fails then Direct X format will work as well. I have had bad luck importing .3ds into XSI. The mesh becomes corrupt, and I don't know why.

Major Stress

Autodesk Softimage Mod Tool software (formerly XSI Mod Tool) is a free 3D modeling and animation package for creating non-commercial games and "modding" (modifying games). Autodesk Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 is based on the same professional toolset found in Autodesk Softimage 7.5 software, used by game developers (including Ironclad) to create 3D models, levels, props, and animation.

Free for Non-commercial Game Creation and Modding. Available by filling out the trial download form on the Autodesk website.

Also available from Filefront from ModDB with no form. (exe - 445MB) Softimage® autodesk.download.com
Download the Artist’s Guide to Softimage with 8 hours of video training lessons. These lessons do assume the user has some experience with modeling. (exe - 1.72Gb) Softimage® autodesk.download.com

F.A.Q.s

How to preview your model in Sins?
Is my model too small or big?
My model flies sideways or backwards?
My textures are not showing up?

XSIs Keyboard & Mouse

Modeling Tutorials

Basics of the Interface (web)

Polygon Shapes, Connections and Edge Loops (8:00 QT)

Edge Loops (wiki)

The Basics of Subdivision Surfaces (web)

Subdivision Surfaces (web)

Hard Edge / Crease Value (wiki)

Symmetrical Modeling (wiki)

Organic Subdee Modelling (22:49 QT)

Modelling with Primitives (10:20 QT)

Conforming Geometry (11:03 QT)

Merge and Boolean (23:02 QT)

How to Cap Holes (web)

Polygon Modeling Methods (web)

Rotoscope (thread)

Starship Modeling Demo (No Sound) (web)

Expressions made easy (web)

Illuminated: Expressions (web)

Render Tree Nodes (web)

More on Commands vs ObjectModel

Creating a Nebula (web) @180

CAPITAL SHIP CREATION FROM SCRATCH

Modeling : Shaping, UV mapping, tangent, gimp and null points questions.

Tutorial - creating unit viewscreen pictures (with alpha channel)

February 18, 2010 8:48:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Importing and Exporting

Getting Rid of Non-Tris and Non Quads
Creating the UV Map
Hooking-up Textures to the Model
Creating the Tangent Map
Setting-up Meshpoints
Cleaning-up Your Model
Exporting your Finalized Model
Creating a Second Set of Materials

From Modding_XSI to Sins_Modding Supplement.pdf‎ uploaded to the SoaSE Wiki included with Forge Tools 3

ConvertXSI

Sketchup to XSI

Finalizing

3dsmax importer and exporter tool  -  maxtool version 2

Maya-2-XSI 

How to convert .3ds, .obj, .md3 etc to XSI file format whilst keeping the UV info intact

Converting camera properties between Maya and XSI

Quoting Kiedjor,
Helpful links:

If you use 3dmax which I use for modeling and i'm very new at it too just started at my friends house like about 2 weeks ago.
The links I found useful are: 

A script to help convert the meshes from soase to 3dsmax and back.

WWW Link
Use this link to get the 1.1 version instead of the 2.0. The 2.0 is too unstable.

WWW Link
For weapon hardpoints.

When I use 3ds max I first run the script the 1.1 verison.
Then I import a mesh located in my SOSAE directory and it loads up.
I select the schemetic Tool to select all the dummy objects (exhust,weapons,center,aura,ability hardpoints) and connect them to the mesh.
Then I do my normal tweaking to get use to the modeling program.
Once your done go to the materials section and make sure you have three types of maps. One diffuse which is called CL, The Specular level which is called the DA map, and the bump map which is called the NM.Make sure all these are mapped into one ball cause I used to put one map for each ball and it didnt work. Instead the object came out black or crashed the game. When you put the textures on make sure put the file texture name with the .dds on the end of it. 
Once this is all done unselect the model and the hardpoints and reselect the model.
Go back to the SOASE script menu and select export.

Quoting Eomega,
here is what you do, apply to the texture to the mesh, make sure that you set the UVs where you want. Now delete the textures. ok now start fresh by clicking the button that asks you what type of texture you want, select bitmap, but dont select the DDS texture. instead hit cancel, and it will take you to the same screen as normal but it will say none in the box. now rename the material name to that of the texture, for instance mine was fbattle.dds and then apply it to the model, and then add in your points, make sure they are linked to the mesh and export. then make sure you have the textures in the mods directory under Textures, but if you do that, be sure to copy ALL of the textures for the game.

February 18, 2010 4:22:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

/bookmarked

I've been doing some on and off modelling in XSI, with various results... Whilst not really related to Sins modding, you don't happen to have anything on Rendering?

February 18, 2010 5:43:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
All tutorials moved to soase.x90x.net for ease of adding and updating. SoaSE Modder's

February 18, 2010 5:50:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This needs to be pinned. Contact Kryo and see about getting this pinned!

February 18, 2010 6:25:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You have covered some great stuff hear, I'm sure many people would find this helpful.

One thing that I found difficult, to start with, when modeling was how to do UV's. I still have some trouble getting some of the angles of some polygons that are at 45 degree's or so from any projection or subprojection. I haven't been able to find much info on how to do UV's. If you have any more info on this aspect of modeling, I, and I'm sure others in the community would be very greatful.

February 18, 2010 8:26:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
All tutorials moved to soase.x90x.net for ease of adding and updating. SoaSE Modder's
February 20, 2010 10:19:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
All tutorials moved to soase.x90x.net for ease of adding and updating. SoaSE Modder's
February 20, 2010 10:13:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

oh my god!! thank you! i wanted to start modeling, and i downloaded the tool, but i was completly lost and couldn't find any tutorials 

February 21, 2010 1:10:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well mate... I think I love ya, I've really been struggling to find XSI tutorials by and large, but here we go, thanks a dozen.

February 24, 2010 1:38:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Audacity  Download
Edit and create OGG sound files for Sins.
Winamp Download
Play Sins OGG files with Winamp.

Sins of a Solar Empire uses OGG files for music and event sounds.

It is possible to use .mp3 and .wav files. Edit the GameInfo\SoundDialogue.sounddata or GameInfo\SoundMusic to reflect the different extensions.

1104 event sounds 73 music tracks. The original Sound files were 216 MB.

Event Sounds

Nominal bitrate: 128 kbps

Channels: 1
Sampling rate: 44100 Hz

Music Tracks

Nominal bitrate: 128 kbps

Channels: 2
Sampling rate: 44100 Hz

Note: The Channels are mono for event sounds and stereo for music tracks. Creating an event sound in stereo will cause Sins to play this over a single channel.

There are two things you should be concerned about when creating your audio files; those are sampling rate and bit rate.

Sampling rate represents the sound frequency range. The higher sampling rate the file is, the wider the frequency range is. In other words, higher is better quality. Your lows will be lower, your highs will be higher. Lower rates can dampen the highs and lows so that audio quality is lower. You won't notice that much on a cheap set of headphones, but on high quality ones you'll notice a huge difference.

Lets talk about sample rate and the Nyquist Theory.  This theory is that the actual upper threshold of a piece of digital audio will top out at half the sample rate.  So if you are recording at 44.1kHz, the highest frequencies generated will be around 22kHz.  That is 2khz higher than the typical human with excellent hearing can hear. 

Bit rate defines how many "bits" of space the file takes per second of audio. Obviously the higher the bit rate, the higher quality audio you'll have.

So for best quality, you want high sampling rates and high bit rates. Sampling rates do not affect file size as much as bit rates do, so if space is at a premium (like on an expansion card) a good trade off is to create high sampling rate files with a lower bit rate, or use a variable bit rate (VBR) with a moderately high "base" setting, like 128kbps.

GameInfo\SoundMusic A .txt document for viewing purposes only.

This chart will allow a comparison between the different music types and when they are played.

actionLevel actionRange emotionLevel emotionRange
"MUSIC_FRONTEND" 0.5 0.5 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_TEC_OPENING" 0.5 0.5 0.3 0.5
"MUSIC_TEC_THEME_1" 0.6 0.5 0.3 0.7
"MUSIC_ADVENT_THEME_1" 0.4 0.4 0.2 0.8
"MUSIC_VASARI_THEME_1" 0.25 0.3 0.3 0.7
"MUSIC_BATTLE_1 - 9 & 11" 0.75 0.35 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_BATTLE_10 & 12 -13" 0.6 0.4 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_ADVENT_BATTLE_1 & 2" 0.7 0.3 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_VASARI_BATTLE_1" 0.7 0.3 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_QUIET_1 - 7" 0.15 0.15 0.4 0.6
"MUSIC_QUIET_8" 0.15 0.15 0.4 0.5
"MUSIC_QUIET_9 - 11" 0.15 0.15 -0.3 0.7
"MUSIC_QUIET_12" 0.15 0.15 -0.2 0.8
"MUSIC_TEC_QUIET_1" 0.17 0.17 -0.3 0.7
"MUSIC_ADVENT_QUIET_1" 0.12 0.12 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_ADVENT_QUIET_2" 0.15 0.15 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_SAD_1 - 2" 0.1 0.1 -0.5 0.5
"MUSIC_SAD_3" 0.0 0.2 -0.5 0.5
"MUSIC_ADVENT_SAD_1" 0.1 0.1 -0.6 0.4
"MUSIC_VASARI_SAD_1" 0.1 0.15 -0.5 0.6
"MUSIC_TROUBLE_1" 0.1 0.1 -0.3 0.5
"MUSIC_TROUBLE_2 - 5" 0.2 0.3 -0.5 0.7
"MUSIC_TROUBLE_3 & 6 - 9" 0.2 0.2 -0.5 0.7
"MUSIC_VASARI_TROUBLE_1" 0.15 0.2 -0.4 0.6
"MUSIC_UPBEAT_1" 0.25 0.125 0.0 0.5
"MUSIC_UPBEAT_2" 0.4 0.2 -0.25 0.75
"MUSIC_UPBEAT_3" 0.6 0.4 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_PIRATE_ANNOUNCEMENT" 0.6 0.4 0.0 1.0
"MUSIC_TEC_ANNOUNCEMENT" 0.0 1.0 -0.3 0.7
"MUSIC_ADVENT_ANNOUNCEMENT" 0.0 1.0 -0.3 0.7
"MUSIC_VASARI_ANNOUNCEMENT" 0.0 1.0 -0.3 0.7

actionLevel - between 0 and 1

actionRange - between 0 and 1

emotionLevel - between -1 and 1

Looks like a value if winning or losing scale

emotionRange - between 0 and 1

March 15, 2010 8:50:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for putting all this info up. I've got a fairly dumb question; is it better to use Blender or the free version of Autodesk Softimage for creating ships etc? Or am I getting confused and the two packages are used for completely different modding tasks?

March 16, 2010 4:53:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You can use either to make the models. You must however use Softimage or SoftImage Mod Tool(free version) to export to .xsi format for the ConvertData.xsi to convert your model into .mesh which SoaSE uses. So if you create a model with Blender you will need to export it into a format that SoftImage can import, Import it into Softimage and then export it as .xsi following the instructions in the documentation folder of Forge tools.

Here is a list of supported file formats for SoftImage;

Supported File Formats for Data Transfer

Format

Import

Export

Description

AI (*.ai)

Yes

No

Curves saved as AI (Adobe Illustrator) files to be used for creating 3D text. See Importing EPS Files [Surface and Curve Modeling].

AIFF/AIF (*.aiff/*.aif)

Yes

No

Audio Interchange File Format. Import audio as a reference when animating using the animation mixer. See Audio and Animation [Nonlinear Animation].

AIFC (*.aifc)

Yes

No

Audio Interchange Format—Compressed. Import audio as a reference when animating using the animation mixer. See Audio and Animation [Nonlinear Animation].

AMC (*.amc)

Yes

No

Import motion capture files in Acclaim (*.amc and *.asf) formats. See Importing Motion Capture Files [Character Animation].

ANI (*.ani)

Yes

No

Actions from SOFTIMAGE|3D animation files. See Importing and Exporting Action Sources [Nonlinear Animation].

ASF (*.asf)

Yes

No

Import motion capture files in Acclaim (*.amc and *.asf) formats. See Importing Motion Capture Files [Character Animation].

AVI (*.avi)

Yes

Yes

Import (load) an AVI with audio into the animation mixer. Only the sound is loaded and you can use it to adjust the timing of your animation. See Audio and Animation [Nonlinear Animation].

Export (output) rendered image sequences in the AVI (Audio Video Interleave) format. See Creating Movie Files (Windows Only) [Rendering].

BVH (*.bvh)

Yes

No

Import motion capture files in the Biovision (*.bvh) format. See Importing Motion Capture Files [Character Animation].

COLLADA (*.dae)

Yes

Yes

Import and export scenes saved in the COLLADA file format (*.dae). See Importing and Exporting COLLADA Files.

CgFX (*.cgfx)

Yes

No

Softimage can load nVIDIA’s CgFX files (*.cgfx) from the CgFX realtime shader. CgFX files can be dragged and dropped onto objects and clusters and automatically generate property pages based on their content. The shader supports external file referencing as well as inlined code compilation for rapid prototyping. See Effects Shaders (.cgfx Files) [Realtime Shaders].

DDS (*.dds)

Yes

No

Softimage can load the DirectDraw Surface (*.dds) file format as an image clip on Windows only. Note that cubic surfaces are tiled horizontally when loaded.

The following subformats are supported:

• DXT1

• DXT2

• DXT3

• DXT4

• DXT5

• A16B16G16R16

• DDPF_PALETTEINDEXED8

For more information about the DirectX file format, consult the DirectX SDK documentation on MSDN Library website at msdn.microsoft.com/library/

DirectX (*.x)

Yes

Yes

Import and export scenes saved in the DirectX format (*.x) which can contain data about meshes, textures, animation and so on. See Importing and Exporting DirectX Files.

For more information about the DirectX file format, consult the DirectX SDK documentation on MSDN Library website at msdn.microsoft.com/library/

DSC (*.dsc)

Yes

No

SOFTIMAGE|3D file format that contains information about a scene’s hierarchies, camera, lights, animation, and geometry. See Importing SOFTIMAGE|3D Scenes and Models.

DXFX (*.fx)

Yes

No

Softimage can load DirectX Effects files (*.fx) from the DXFX realtime shader. DirectX effects are high-level programs that allow you to combine a number of multi-pass vertex and pixel shading effects in a single file to produce sophisticated realtime-shading effects.

For information about using .fx files in the render tree, see Effects Shaders (.fx Files) [Realtime Shaders].

For more information about Effects and/or the DXFX file format, consult the DirectX SDK documentation on MSDN Library website at msdn.microsoft.com/library/

EANI (*.eani)

Yes

Yes

Import and export external action sources saved in the native Softimage binary format (*.eani). See Importing and Exporting Action Sources [Nonlinear Animation].

EMDL (*.emdl)

Yes

Yes

File format used to import and export Softimage models. See Importing and Exporting Softimage Models.

EPS (*.eps)

Yes

No

Curves saved as EPS (encapsulated PostScript) files to be used for creating 3D text. See Importing EPS Files [Surface and Curve Modeling].

EXP (*.exp)

Yes

No

You cannot open a binary .exp format expression file from SOFTIMAGE|3D directly. Instead, you import a scene or model with the expression in it. See SI|3D Expressions.

EXP2 (*.exp2)

Yes

Yes

Softimage expressions can be imported (loaded) and exported (saved) as .exp2 files. See Saving and Loading Expressions [Animation].

FBX (*.fbx)

Yes

Yes

Crosswalk: The Softimage FBX plug-in allows you to import, export, and merge-back scene data using the FBX (*.fbx) file format. See Importing and Exporting FBX Files.

FRAW (*.fraw)

Yes

Yes

SOFTIMAGE|3D function curves can be imported (loaded) and exported (saved) as .fraw files. See Saving and Loading Function Curves [Animation].

FRAW2 (*.fraw2)

Yes

Yes

Softimage function curves can be imported (loaded) and exported (saved) as .fraw2 files. See Saving and Loading Function Curves [Animation].

FXS (*.fxs)

No

Yes

Export Point Oven Messiah Scene files through the MDD Baker plug-in. See Importing and Exporting Point Oven MDD Files.

HRC (*.hrc)

Yes

No

SOFTIMAGE|3D file format that contains information about a scene’s objects and object hierarchies (known as SI3D models). See Importing SOFTIMAGE|3D Scenes and Models.

IGES (*.igs)

Yes

Yes

ANSI graphics file format for wireframe model interchange. See Importing and Exporting IGES Files.

KEY (*.key)

Yes

No

SOFTIMAGE|3D keys (static poses) files. See Importing and Exporting Action Sources [Nonlinear Animation].

LWO (*.lwo)

Yes

Yes

Import (load) and export (save) Point Oven Lightwave Object files. See Importing and Exporting Point Oven LWO Files.

LWS (*.lws)

No

Yes

Export Point Oven Lightwave Scene files through the MDD Baker plug-in. See Importing and Exporting Point Oven MDD Files.

MDD (*.mdd)

Yes

Yes

Import (Reader) and export (Baker) Point Oven MDD files. See Importing and Exporting Point Oven MDD Files.

MI2 (*.mi)

No

Yes

You can export a scene to the mental images MI2 file format that can be read by the mental ray rendering software. For more information on mental ray rendering, See Exporting to MI2 Files [Rendering].

MOV (*.mov)

Yes

Yes

Import (load) an Apple® QuickTime MOV with audio into the animation mixer. Only the sound is loaded and you can use it to adjust the timing of your animation. See Audio and Animation [Nonlinear Animation].

Export (output) rendered image sequences in the MOV format. See Creating Movie Files (Windows Only) [Rendering].

OBJ (*.obj)

Yes

Yes

Wavefront Object file format. See Importing and Exporting Wavefront OBJ Files.

PRESET (*.preset)

Yes

Yes

Edit properties in a property editor and save your settings as a preset. Presets are simple data files with a .preset file extension that contain property information. Presets allow you to transport information between scenes. See Creating Presets of Property Settings [Scene Elements].

PSC (*.psc)

Yes

Yes

Import and export the native Point Oven Scene file format. See Importing and Exporting With Point Oven.

PSD (*.psd)

Yes

No

Import Adobe Photoshop PSD image files as image clip and source pairs. Modifications to the PSD file in Photoshop are reflected in Softimage. See Loading (Creating) Sources and Clips [Texturing].

In the Fx Tree, you can import and export PSD files using the File Input operator and the File Output operator respectively. See Setting File Input Properties and Rendering Effects to File [Compositing and Effects].

PTP (*.ptp)

Yes

Yes

Cached simulation files. PTP files record the position and physical properties of each particle in the stream. The file sequence is written back each time you modify any parameter affecting the simulation. See Playing Particle-based Simulations [Particles].

QT (*.qt)

Yes

No

Import (load) an Apple® QuickTime QT with audio into the animation mixer. Only the sound is loaded and you can use it to adjust the timing of your animation. See Audio and Animation [Nonlinear Animation].

RTF (*.rtf)

Yes

Yes

Text can be imported and exported (saved) as an RTF (Rich Text Format) file. See Importing RTF Files and Saving RTF Files [Modeling and Deformation Basics].

SCN (*.scn)

Yes

Yes

Softimage scene file description uses binary code to efficiently store information about objects, textures, and animation. See Scenes.

SCNTOC (*.scntoc)

Yes

Yes

Softimage scene table of contents is an XML-based file that contains scene information. It has an extension of .scntoc with the same name and in the same folder as the corresponding scene file. The scene TOC can be opened and edited with any text editor or XML editor. See Getting and Setting Scene Data with the Scene TOC.

WAV (*.wav)

Yes

No

Import (load) a Windows Waveform WAV with audio into the animation mixer. Only the sound is loaded and you can use it to adjust the timing of your animation. See Audio and Animation [Nonlinear Animation].

XSI or dotXSI (*.xsi)

Yes

Yes

Crosswalk: Import and export an object, multiple–selected objects, or an entire scene in a single dotXSI (*.xsi) v.5 or v.6 file. See Using Crosswalk for Softimage.

dotXSI v.3, v.3.5, v.3.6: Import and export an object, multiple–selected objects, or an entire scene in a single dotXSI (*.xsi) file. See Importing and Exporting dotXSI Files.

Specialized scene data: Scene data can be stored externally using the dotXSI format.

• Model referencing supports the dotXSI file format. See Using Referenced Models.

• Material libraries can be stored externally. See Importing and Exporting Material Libraries [Material and Shader Basics].

• Action sources can be stored externally. See Importing and Exporting Action Sources [Nonlinear Animation].

XSIMIXER (*.xsimixer)

Yes

Yes

Import and export the entire animation mixer for a model, making it easy to share animation between models. See Importing and Exporting the Animation Mixer [Nonlinear Animation].

March 16, 2010 5:16:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SuperZERO0,
So if you create a model with Blender you will need to export it into a format that SoftImage can import, Import it into Softimage and then export it as .xsi following the instructions in the documentation folder of Forge tools.

Blender can directly export into .XSI.

March 16, 2010 5:26:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh! I did not realize this. I thought SoftImage was the only 1. Are there any other programs that can export .xsi

March 16, 2010 5:43:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great, thank's for the reply. All the help is greatly appreceated. I've downloaded Blender and the Softimage mod tool and am currently deciding which I prefer.

April 3, 2010 2:56:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Table with background image

Table 2

April 22, 2010 1:29:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
April 22, 2010 11:19:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Excellent post MyFist0

Know that you can use ANY modeling program to create your mesh. Be it 3dsmax, Lightwave, Maya, Blender, etc. etc. However to make it ready for import into sins you must finish it in XSI. This is mainly because of the tangents, and the way XSI assigns materials to the mesh. Which means your modeling program must be able to export into a format XSI can import. .Obj is a good choice. If that fails then Direct X format will work as well. I have had bad luck importing .3ds into XSI. The mesh becomes corrupt, and i dont know why.

Lots of good info here.. USE IT

April 23, 2010 10:32:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Amazing Star Field

Step 1

Create a new document, size 400x400. Flood fill this with black. Create a new layer named "smallstars" Flood fill this layer with black as well. Now add some "Noise" to the small stars layer Adjust > Add/Remove Noise > Add Noise. Use the settings Gaussian 40% Monochrome.

Step 2

To bring out the brighter stars and dim the darker ones we need to adjust the brightness and contrast.Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Brightness/Contrast use the settings Brightness: 10 Contrast: 45. Things may look to dark right now but keep it this way for now.

Step 3

Duplicate the "small stars" layer and name it "large stars" Layers > Duplicate. We are going to use the Brightness/Contrast again to really bring out the larger stars and hide the smaller ones Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Brightness/Contrast use the settings Brightness: 20 Contrast: 60.

Step 4

Click on your "Raster Deform Tool", make sure the "Mode" is set to Scale. Enter the following infoPivot-X: 200 Pivot-Y: 200 Position-X: -200 Position-Y: -200 Scale-X: 200 Scale-Y: 200. Set the Perspective's, Sheer, and Angle to zero. This will scale the "large stars" layer twice the size of your image and center it if using the image size 400x400. To make things easier to see lets invert the "largestars" layer Adjust > Color Balance > Negative Image. Now go to Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Levels. Use the settings Channel: RGB Input Levels: 230, 1, 250 Output Levels: 0, 255.

Step 5

You can invert the "large stars" layer back to normal Adjust > Color Balance > Negative Image. Also we need to scale it down so its just a bit bigger than your image size. So pick your "Raster Deform Tool" again and enter these settings Pivot-X: 200 Pivot-Y: 200 Position-X: -16 Position-Y: 16 Scale-X: -54 Scale-Y: -54. Set the Perspective's and Sheer to zero Angle: 180. Now to make both the "small stars" layer and the "large stars" layer visible, change the "large stars" layer properties to "Screen" Layers > Properties > Blend Mode: Screen.

Step 6

So now you have a basic star field, but this is very boring so lets spice it up a bit. At this point I would recommend saving your work as a .psp image. The next few steps may take a few times to get your desired effect. Select your eraser and start erasing parts of both the "large stars" and "small stars" layers. There is no wrong or right way to do this. Be as random as possible and use an eraser brushwith crisp edges as you don't want half erased stars. Also you should see less large stars than small ones so really destroy the "large stars" layer.

Step 7

Your star field should be looking pretty sad at this point so flatten your image Layers > Merge > Merge All (visible) grab your "Clone" tool and get creative. Again there is no right or wrong way to do this, much like nature its random. This is where you will tell the story of your star field with dark spaces and star clusters. A few guidelines would be not to clone stars from the edge of your image, or do not clone stars close to your source, and finally try setting the "Blend Mode" of the "Clone" tool to both normal and screen this will give the star field more depth.

Step 8

Once your happy with your new star field its time to add some color. Duplicate the layer Layers > Duplicate name it "star glow". Then Adjust > Blur > Gaussian Blur set it somewhere between 8 - 12. Change the "star glow" layer to "Screen" Layers > Properties > Blend Mode: Screen. To pick your color go to Adjust > Hue and Saturation > Colorize, just move the sliders around till your happy. If you feel you need more color you can repeat this step but maybe change the "Gaussian Blur" settings lower.

Step 9

By this time you should have a pretty nice star field, but if you want to take it to the next level try to add some stardust and brightstars. Again there is no one way to make stardust. Create a new layer grab yourself a fuzzy brush set to "Screen" with the opacity about 20%. Try to use a few different shades of color. I found it easier to go crazy and then come back with the eraser to remove what is needed. As far as a few larger stars I just used a round tip brush of various sizes with the "Hardness" set to zero.

April 23, 2010 2:33:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The pictures don't show for me

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /tut_graphics/amazing-starfield-paint-shop-pro-tutorial-step-02.gif on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

April 23, 2010 4:15:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fixed

April 26, 2010 5:49:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

[Tutorial] Texturing and Importing Models

This tutorial is going to focus on everything that was left out from the documentations in the Forge Tools provided by Sins and also will include helpful tricks.

Know that you can use ANY modeling program to create your mesh. Be it 3DS MaxLightwaveMayaBlender, etc. etc. However to make it ready for import into sins you must finish it in XSI. This is mainly because of the tangents, and the way XSI assigns materials to the mesh. Which means your modeling program must be able to export into a format XSI can import. .Obj is a good choice. If that fails then Direct X format will work as well. I have had bad luck importing .3ds into XSI. The mesh becomes corrupt, and I don't know why.

Major Stress

Required Tools

Sins PDF Documents

Texturing

Importing with convertXSI

Modding F.A.Q.s

How to preview your model in Sins?
Is my model too small or big?
My model flies sideways or backwards?
My textures are not showing up?

To make this clear I will not focus on obvious things described in PDFs or what’s covered in Help section of XSI mod tool but rather what you can’t find easily, especially texturing.

I am working on redoing the lost pinned tutorial and need to test the bookmarks on a post. Will post the complete thread when the article is finished with screenshots.

April 26, 2010 9:23:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

MyFist0 you posted info from my tutorial that is now obsolete pre-Entrenchment info. I did correct it IIRC. As of Entrenchment Ironclad switched the specular, and team color channels on the textures. Supposedly to increase game performance.

The Alpha Channel on the "-cl" texture is now the Team Color Channel

The Red Channel on the "-da" texture is now the Specular Map.

All else is unchanged.

EDIT: Doh! NM the info is there. You need to highlight it though so people can understand it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time: