Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] Maelstrom [Trinity | Rebellion]

By on June 29, 2010 11:22:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

soase-maels...

Join Date 02/2009
+44

Compatibility

Maelstrom is currently compatible with

Original v1.195 | Entrenchment v1.055 | Diplomacy v1.37 | Rebellion v1.82

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Credits

For contributions in testing and concepts
ICEman, Quiet_Man, Malanthor, UncleJ and many others

For mod optimization special thanks to ...
The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP), Bailknight`s Graphic Mod

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction

The Maelstrom Mod introduces three new races to the SoaSE Universe.

It keeps the original races, the TEC, Advent and Vasari who are still to be found building and battling as usual.

All of the new races are independent of the original races and have unique strengths and weaknesses.

Learn more and download the Maelstrom Mod at ...

Maelstrom Website                    ModDB Website                     Strategy Informer Website

or use the links below

The Standard and Expansion Series (Trinity)

Please note that the Maelstrom mod Expansion series have Titans & Dreadnought Capital ships, expanded Pirates

and more challenging Militia ... whereas the Standard series do not.

Sound Pack (Release 1 added 27/3/2012)

Alternative music, voices and dialogue for the new races.

Maelstrom Sound Pack R1              

Original Sins (Release 9 added 04/08/2012)

Standard series    Maelstrom Standard for Original R9, v1.195                               

Expansion series  Maelstrom Expansion for Original R9, v1.195                

Entrenchment (Release 9 added 04/08/2012)

Standard series    Maelstrom Standard for Entrenchment R9, v1.055                                   

Expansion series  Maelstrom Expansion for Entrenchment R9, v1.055    

Diplomacy (Release 10 added 23/04/2013)

Standard series    Maelstrom Standard for Diplomacy R10, v1.37                             

Expansion series  Maelstrom Expansion for Diplomacy R10, v1.37              

Rebellion (Release 8 + DLC's added 28/06/2014)

Maelstrom Rebellion R8, v1.82

______________________________________________________________________________________                               

Please note that for all mods the 'Installation and Change notes' are included in the download.

Use the recommended 'Graphics Effects Setting' as stated in the Installation notes of the mod.

Installation & Release Notes

1622 Replies +10
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 29, 2010 12:42:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sounds good!

June 29, 2010 1:09:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is this for vinilla sins or for entrenchment/diplomacy?

June 29, 2010 1:13:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting busta191,
Is this for vinilla sins or for entrenchment/diplomacy?

It's for regular (vanilla) sins, no expansions. I just downloaded it and tried it out real quick.

June 29, 2010 1:22:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sounds great! But can we see some pictures before I download this?

June 29, 2010 8:38:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks guys for the interest.

As noted SoaSE Maelstrom is for "regular (vanilla) sins, no expansions."

We will be releasing expansion mods as follows ...

1. SoaSE Maelstrom the Expansion (includes Dreadnought Capital ships for all six players) - for SoaSE regular.

2. SoaSE Maelstrom Entrenchment

3. SoaSE Maelstrom Diplomacy

mods 1. and 2. are mostly done and could be pre-released.

mod 3. development will commence soon.

Release of the above mods will be dependent on request and interest.

With regards requests for pictures - this is a complete and extensive mod, i.e a great deal of time spent on development and testing - play it and you won't be disappointed.

Quick History ...

SoaSE has been in development for 1 year.

Emphasis is on game play, the least emphasis has been on Particle Effects.

Development is still open... ideas, feedback and contributions welcome.

Inspiration for this mod - SoaSE and 7DS. Thanks guys!

External contact: soase-maelstrom@hotmail.com

June 29, 2010 11:18:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This mod is awesome, waiting for the entrenchment release.

The in game music is great and the voices for the units are good. the units themselves are very well made.

overall this is a must play mod.

barely played one faction and I'm already hooked!

June 30, 2010 2:15:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey i keep trying to download the mod but it keeps stopping half done or non at all can you give another download please

June 30, 2010 9:27:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Did you make the ancient planet types or are they from another mod?

June 30, 2010 9:36:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Can I use it with v.1.191?

June 30, 2010 9:40:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting loooseer,
Can I use it with v.1.191?

Yes, Vanilla Sins = v1.191. Check it out. It's one of the few mods you can find for Vanilla Sins right now.

June 30, 2010 10:11:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi 501General,

Hope your enjoying the mod!

All models are either original, derived from SoaSE or in the case of the TradeAlliance ships from Coxxon's 'Battlestar Galactica models".

Just a word about Coxxon ... he is just about the only person we have found to of freely donated his textured models to the modding community. A legend! Damn good models too!!

In the case of the Ancient's Planet it's the Maelstrom team's work. Check out the Fortified world too and take plenty of fire power with you when you do (planet bombing power that is).

June 30, 2010 10:28:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi ZombiesRus5,

v1.182 of Maelstrom is about 2 month's old. It was our intention of releasing v1.191 which is almost complete. v1.191 mostly includes re-balancing of the new players both in fire power and also their ability.

Their is also an expansion mod for Maelstrom (i.e "Maelstrom Expansion") which will be released soon. It emulates the Starbaseof entrenchment by introducing a Capital Ship called a Dreadnought. Once the Dreadnought has gained sufficient experience it has the ability to convert to a Star base. The reason for this mod was that the entrenchment version of Maelstrom can slow down for larger maps or when all six players are well developed and in battle!

June 30, 2010 10:34:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yeah that issue has been plaqueing the game for a while now MajorStress and others have developed a mod to help with that
http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/378149

might want to check it out and see if you can use some of their new optimized models to help out with that

June 30, 2010 10:40:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, how could I miss this mod?

Awesome work guys. I've played a quick match with all 3 races and you can see there really went a lot of work into making this!

To anyone who is unsure about downloading it, I can only recommend you to try. 3 totally custom races with unique ship models, specialized research for all 3 new factions, new music and a whole lot more I probably haven't seen yet.

June 30, 2010 10:41:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Holybeast,

Tried a download test myself, no problems with a Firefox Browser.

Let me hazard a guess and say that you tried downloading via Windows Internet Explorer?

If so you might need a "file download manager" ... google it and see.

June 30, 2010 10:49:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Ryat,

Thanks for the tip. I've recently read MajorStress postings and knew at the time that his solution was the way forward. It's been bookmarked for intense study.

The SoaSE community is lucky to have him, I've been following his many modding insights for sometime.

June 30, 2010 5:56:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The only thing missing from this thread and your website are pictures to sell people on it...

White Star

Water World

Savyor

Mineral Planet

Metropolis Planet

Industrial Planet

Frigate

More Frigates

Fighters

Binary Planets

Cruiser

Ancient World

That should help in the short term.

June 30, 2010 10:08:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks Stant123!

June 30, 2010 11:34:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi ZombiesRus5,

v1.182 of Maelstrom is about 2 month's old. It was our intention of releasing v1.191 which is almost complete. v1.191 mostly includes re-balancing of the new players both in fire power and also their ability.

Their is also an expansion mod for Maelstrom (i.e "Maelstrom Expansion") which will be released soon. It emulates the Starbaseof entrenchment by introducing a Capital Ship called a Dreadnought. Once the Dreadnought has gained sufficient experience it has the ability to convert to a Star base. The reason for this mod was that the entrenchment version of Maelstrom can slow down for larger maps or when all six players are well developed and in battle!

Well, I assumed he was asking about the version of Sins that would support your mod you have posted to download, but thanks for the additional information and keep up the good work.

July 1, 2010 4:19:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting soase-maelstrom,
Hi Holybeast,

Tried a download test myself, no problems with a Firefox Browser.

Let me hazard a guess and say that you tried downloading via Windows Internet Explorer?

If so you might need a "file download manager" ... google it and see.

I am Using Firefox Browser But still no luck it keeps stopping while downloading Dam i wish i knew whats up well to let you know maybe but im using a Wireless internet if that accounts to anything?

July 1, 2010 4:48:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I guess you could try this download manager add-on for firefox:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201/

At the very least it should let you resume where you disconnected from so you don't have to start over again.  Should being the key word there.  I keep a free cable attached to my router specifically for connecting laptops to it when they need to get larger downloads and are having issues with wireless disconnects.  So you may want to borrow someone's cable for a little bit if you can connect with wires.  Couple options to try...

July 1, 2010 6:18:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If Stant123's solution (Reply #21) doesn't work you might find the solution here ....

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files

http://www.ehow.com/how_2315721_troubleshoot-downloading-problems-firefox.html

or try renaming the download file and/or try a different local download location ... have you got sufficient disk space for the download?

In about a week I'll be up and running with a new ISP with a 120GB's transfer limit. Currently I'm limited to 8GB's, of which I've used 5GB's (3GB's till the end of the month!). So in a week I'll be able to split the zip file into let's say 5 pieces, that is, if all else fails!

Let me know how you go.

July 1, 2010 8:56:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I also had some difficulties downloading, but I just kept re-trying until I downloaded it successfully, and I am also using firefox 3.66.sorry my version after checking is 3.63.

harpo

July 1, 2010 9:28:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not sure if this is related, but it appears some people are experiencing problems with Firefox when automatically upgrading to 3.6.6. And most of the hits on the website, that is by Firefox users, are 3.6.6.

Mozilla Forum: Why is Firefox 3.6.6 so slow?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/710861

July 2, 2010 12:28:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,
The only thing missing from this thread and your website are pictures to sell people on it...

Wow, those are some awesome screen shots.

If you don't mind me asking (whoever did the planet work), what did you use to make the planet textures? Those turned out a lot better than other user created planets like say Sins plus.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: