Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[SotF] Sins of the Fallen (The walking dead mod)

By on July 21, 2010 3:10:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ZombiesRus5

Join Date 02/2009
+292

Sins of the Fallen

Sins of the Fallen

Overview

Sins of the Fallen is a massive enhancement for the critically acclaimed Sins of a Solar Empire.

Major Features

New Races with new strategies
New Planets
Gameplay Enhancing Addons
AI Enhancements

Journals: [SotF] Diplomacy Pacts & Bonuses, [SotF] Improving the AI, [SotF] Cosmos Ad Infinitum

Addons   Factions  
  Cosmos Ad Infinitum Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What version of Sins of a Solar Empire is supported?
Sins of the Fallen is a modification for Diplomacy and Rebellion. 

How do you install Sins of the Fallen?
Please read How to install Sins of the Fallen.

Why does your mod have so many folders?
As Sins of a Solar Empire is a 32bit game it is restricted to 2GB of ram utilization as well as other various hard coded limitations. The stacking structure used with this mod allows more than 2GB of content by allowing portions of the mod to be loaded.

Will you support Entrenchment or Vanilla?
No, I did have previous versions that supported Entrenchment (See Release History), but have decided the it was too much effort for one person to try and maintain both.

Fall of Heaven: Plague and Nephilim
Fall of Transhumanity
Fall of Kobol

1314 Replies +7
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 13, 2010 4:30:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

your correct on the AI controlling one of the custom races, it's just me being the Nephilim and the AI being the Plague. I'll set up another game with the auto-save function on.

October 14, 2010 12:31:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So... I spend pretty much all day yesterday in my free time fixing every single warning that either popped up in my tool or was reported in the debugger or debug log. I now have a warning free build that I can run locally. This doesn't mean there won't still be mini-dumps but I know it won't be caused by any of these issues.

I have about six frigate abiltiies I need to finish on the Plague race then I'll promote the current build to you. I'm concerned they way I have them stubbed out may be causing issues so I want to get them completed. I'm also missing mesh points on the Plague battlecruiser which needs to be resolved.

So here's a summary of some the things I found and fixed.

• minV <= maxV. Found a line in one of the custom particles that had a minimum greater than a maximum.
  • assert m_CurrentSize < MAX_SIZE. This looked like a constant exceeded, but it was actually a soundEffects.soundData with an invalid alternate group.
  • weaponEffect not matching weaponType. Copy past issue when effect is Projectile but weapon is Beam for example.
  • missing strings - all missing strings have been default to "todo" until I come up with meaningful descriptions
  • minV <= maxV or rangeSize error - missing race name string info - fixed, didn't realize I had missed this one.
  • minV <= maxV or rangeSize error - missing starbase name string info - fixed.
  • bad mesh points on nephilim carrier cruiser. resulted from moving from capital ship to cruiser.
  • Found 2 buffs with invalid finish conditions for FirstSpawnerNoLongerHasBuff in Nephilim race.
  • Found 1 buff with invalid finish condition for FirstSpawnerNoLongerHasBuff in Plague race.
  • Cleaned out unused textures and meshes from build.
  • Fixed plague capital weapons to use proper weapon types and weapon effects. Still need to balance.
October 15, 2010 12:08:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok Eternal... I've promoted up the latest changes which includes 190 GameInfo file changes! I'm not sure if I resolved the mini-dump or not, but I did manage to play a game with a Nephilim and Plague as AI without a mini-dump so it's looking promising. More testing will tell, but I'm ready to get back to the models. I also have an idea for the plague starbase I want to start working on.

October 15, 2010 8:30:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Right, thanks for the heads up I'll get on testing then and see if anything breaks lol

October 15, 2010 9:00:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

haha, ya... it kept breaking on me too anywhere between 30 minutes to 1:30 depending. I kinda went on a rampage fixing all the research costs/tier and the plague race still had quite a few references to stock game icons and descriptions I hadn't fixed yet as well as shoring up anything that might cause a mini-dump. I had to start rebuilding the mod from scratch to identify several of the dev.exe warnings like the minV/maxV ones. All in all this is a fairly stable build which should hopefully help us identify issues as they popup.

I hopefully will be able to get the last few remaining models in the game this weekend: (turret, utility, fighter/bomber) and the mainview/infocard/pictures in for the remaining ships and structures.

All in all I'm hopefull we can have a playable mod for the Nephilim race very soon that we can release to others to try out.

Also, we're not to far off for the Plague race either with a full set of capital ship models I need to get in the game and then start modeling the remaining frigates and structures.

October 15, 2010 9:48:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cool, it'll be good to get feed back from other players beside myself and you

October 15, 2010 1:07:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No doubt...

Just an FYI, I pushed a bunch of new icons to you. I should have the majority of stock icons removed now for Nephilim.

October 15, 2010 4:44:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The nephilim starbase no longer has holes at the tips (I've also promoted this to the private alpha test buld).

The missing polygons were quads that sins didn't like so I had to sub-divide them into triangles.

Of other notes: The model I was planning on using for a fighter can't be reduced enough without causing issues. Either it's polycount would be too high for a fighter or it gets too damaged during the reduction. In the mean time I'll just leave the low poly model I have in place.

October 15, 2010 5:16:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hmmm... I might have a back up fighter, I'm polishing it up a bit, it's one of my custom models. I'll send it your way as soon as I am done, I hope you'll like it. It'll already be triangulated for you

So far from what I've seen good stuff... though might I suggest something with the particles? They are far to light, you can hardly notice them at all on the Nephilim ships so I suggest you increase the glow on them so they are more noticeable... I like my light show after all but not too much to the point where it's going to affect game play

Besides that I see no issues yet, don't forget about changing the siege frigate over to a siege/tactical anti-structure hybrid cruiser. That will mean you'll need to upscale the ship up, also might I suggest when you do that, elongate it a bit if you want unless you one a stubby short looking cruiser

Now that I got that out of the way, I'll need a list of what else there is for me to make in models for the Nephilim. Left over ships and structures, minus the phase disruptor tactical structure

October 15, 2010 5:49:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Now that I got that out of the way, I'll need a list of what else there is for me to make in models for the Nephilim. Left over ships and structures, minus the phase disruptor tactical structure

I'll email something to you later...

hmmm... I might have a back up fighter, I'm polishing it up a bit, it's one of my custom models. I'll send it your way as soon as I am done, I hope you'll like it. It'll already be triangulated for you

Sounds good.

So far from what I've seen good stuff... though might I suggest something with the particles? They are far to light, you can hardly notice them at all on the Nephilim ships so I suggest you increase the glow on them so they are more noticeable... I like my light show after all but not too much to the point where it's going to affect game play

All the particles on the nephilim ships are stock sins with the current build. The only custom particles are on plague currently. So a lot of work to do here in the future.

Besides that I see no issues yet, don't forget about changing the siege frigate over to a siege/tactical anti-structure hybrid cruiser. That will mean you'll need to upscale the ship up, also might I suggest when you do that, elongate it a bit if you want unless you one a stubby short looking cruiser

Yep, I've already set the weapon damage as anti-module, but I need to do the other stuff mentioned.

October 15, 2010 6:09:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Spotted something on the anti-strike craft ship, it's missing a polygon

I was only able to take this screen shot because I figured out what was going on with my screenshot thing. My computer was taking the screenshot when I pressed the prt screen key. Sins doesn't seem to save it to the designated folder for screenshots. I can't explain why it is doing that, but I guess it's better then nothing I suppose.

Edit: Er... it seems the weapon platform for the Nephilim, the model for them, the one I made for you reverted back to the vanilla model after I saved the game and then loaded that save.

Edit 2:

This is what I mean with the particles, before you last updated they were fine, all glowy and what not like the vanilla particles, now they aren't you must have changed something by accident on the particles for the Nephilim ships

October 19, 2010 2:16:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Spotted something on the anti-strike craft ship, it's missing a polygon

Yep, same issue. A quad that sins didn't like. Looks like it is fixed in the new build. There appears to be a new one on the starbase too. I'm going to re-do the starbase though with the polygon reduction tool and see if I can get that down to a reasonable size without all the fuss.

Edit: Er... it seems the weapon platform for the Nephilim, the model for them, the one I made for you reverted back to the vanilla model after I saved the game and then loaded that save.

Yep, found this. It wasn't a save issue, it was the upgraded weapons platform. There was a mesh upgrade I didn't include. Also the texture on this is not good at all. I was testing what a lower resolution texture would look like. I'll need to buff it up a bit.

This is what I mean with the particles, before you last updated they were fine, all glowy and what not like the vanilla particles, now they aren't you must have changed something by accident on the particles for the Nephilim ships

These are actually the base game particles. I had the total effects particles active in the previous version. In an effort to isolate the issues I backed them out. Now that things are looking better I may add them back in or set them up as an add-on.

October 19, 2010 2:28:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm promoting the new build I've been testing to you that fixes many of the issues we've seen. I have a few changes identified below that will need to be in the next build.

First iteration Alpha Testing done so far

Wrath Tree
Embodiment: 100%
Force: 100%
Revelation: 100%

Divinity Tree: 80%
Genesis abilities need reworked
Soul Hangar abilities missing

Bliss Tree - Would like to add a few more research topics to Gifts or Enlightement
Gifts: 100%
Enlightenment: 100%
Faith: 100%

Subjegation Tree: 80%
Need to do a bit more testing on the Sicariot Envoy's abilities

Fleet Logistics: 100%

Modules Tested: All

Ships Tested: All
Mainly dealing with sizing, shield mesh and exhaust points now. Will need to add ability points to mach ability and buff usage on next pass.

Star Base Tested:
Abilities need reworked as noted above. Need to scale size down and add shield mesh

October 19, 2010 3:03:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and again of course you'll need to check models in game for any missing polygons. I'll try getting more pics to you soon, also how's that list of things I need to do coming along you were going to email me? I don't recall or remember getting one with a lists for models for me to do. I could have accidentally deleted it as well... it's been a busy two weeks lol

October 19, 2010 7:49:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I got kinda caught up tracking down that mini-dump so I forgot to email you.

I sent out a spreadsheet and corresponding pdf for you to look at. We are very close model wise for Nephilim. I've been trying to zoom on various models taking notes about size, shields, exhaust position, and noticeable polygon issues too. Hope to make some more progress in that regard soon.

October 19, 2010 8:14:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah I got the email and the list of models needed Nephilim model wise as getting the ground work for them is basically complete from the stand point that I understand, though switching the siege frigate into the siege cruiser role is needed, as well as the scale up on the model but that's  besides the point. The only model lacking I can think of for the Nephilim is the race specific tactical structure which will only benefit the Nephilim by giving them a buff... structure or ship wise... or both for that matter and also giving a debuff to enemy ships ect, ect.

Just think of it in these terms, model wise Nephilim would probably be less complete if you had not asked to use my models, makes me feel proud that I'm able to help build this mod by providing models. Some of which were custom made for my own use later on in the future, others of course I've made specifically for this mod Glad I don't have to focus on several other models we're leaving out which are, mines... and a separate model for the trade or culture structure, damn good call on my part for getting the idea to merge the two together, that saved us some legroom.

I did notice you did one thing, which was use one of the models you had for the weapon platform, you replaced that with my model and instead of throwing away that model you used it for the mineral and crystal mine structure, nice work on that.

October 21, 2010 1:02:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yep, my modeling and texturing skills are only a year old now. I feel pretty good about my progress so far and can make some complicated ships, but I just couldn't pull off the smooth lines I wanted for the Nephilim race. It's much easier to make progress when you have people willing to contribute such as you and alexrose. And ya, I really liked what I did for the extractors, I was looking at that thing when I put in the turret role thinking it looks like an extractor, lol.

I have a prototype ready for the plague's growth ability. Check out the light frigate in your build. It's not research based yet, but it shows the simulation of the frigate maturing overtime If you hover over the ability you'll see the three stages that it will go through currently timed at 150, 300 and 450 seconds per stage.

I need to put a prototype together for the creation process now.

October 21, 2010 5:29:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here's some pics of the prototype spawning process!

Now that the prototypes are established the Plague's Virulence tree is going to get a makeover.

October 21, 2010 5:59:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

NEATO

October 22, 2010 10:08:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sounds like a very cool mod.  Reminds me of a dr. who episode (tom baker) where they spoke of enormous vampires that could travel through space; and the united federation only destoyed them by building ships that were themselves meant to impale the enormous vampiric creatures.  So you'd make a ship that could use some special point-blank ability to do severe damage to this vampiric creature (ship) while the ramming ship would itself be destroyed.  Can anyone mod a capital ship to look like a giant vampire? 

I dygress.   Mod sounds cool; I look forward to checking it out.

October 22, 2010 4:12:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Love Dr. Who and miss not having BBC anymore.

Thanks for the interest too. We are getting close to releasing a beta version of the Nephilim race. The plague race still has a bit to go in terms of models and I'm re-working some of the game play with this race but I don't want to take too much longer on them. My goal is to have the main part of the mod complete by December moving to the second stage of improving textures, effects, etc.

October 27, 2010 2:51:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi all,

I've setup a moddb for Sins of the Fallen and will be releasing the first beta soon which will include a fully playable version of the Nephilim race. I'm debating whether to keep the Plague race in for demo purposes as they are in the process of a slight overall to differentiate them from the standard races even more.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sins-of-the-fallen

Thanks,
ZombiesRus5

October 28, 2010 10:56:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, the current version of the mod (D) Alpha 0.2 has been uploaded to moddb.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sins-of-the-fallen/downloads/sins-of-the-fallen-d-alpha-02

Sins of the Fallen (D) Alpha 0.2 Release
Diplomacy Version Only
See readme.txt included in download for more information

Please report any issues found at Code.google.com

Synopsis of Alpha 0.2

This version of the mod introduces the Nephilim race including custom ship and planet modules, custom abilities, custom research, ship and module icons including main view icons when zoomed out or viewing in the empire tree.

A demo version of the Plague race is included but with limited models and abilities. It may be played but is not guaranteed to be issue free.

Thank you,
ZombiesRus5 and Team

Notes about Alpha Releases in General

Alpha versions of this mod are focusing on delivering complete functionality when possible. However, the quality of some textures, models and sounds are deliberately limited as the goal is to iteratively improve the mods quality overtime along with hopefully the skillset of the modders.

Version Alpha 0.2x will fix any issues found with Nephilim race.
Version Alpha 0.3 will introduce the Plague race similar to Alpha 0.2 for the Nephilim.

October 28, 2010 5:37:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Will there be a Entrenchment Version?

October 28, 2010 5:58:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Holybeast,
Will there be a Entrenchment Version?

Yes, there will be an Entrenchment version. My goal is to fully add the Plague race with 0.3 and have the Entrenchment version ready by 0.4. I might decide to add Entrenchment early but can't make any promises at the moment.

At this time there are no plans for a Vanilla version.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001203   Page Render Time: