Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Release of Starcraft 2 seems to have dramatically decreased Sins activity :-(

By on July 30, 2010 7:21:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

DirtySanchezz

Join Date 03/2008
+96

I am sad to report that the release of Starcraft 2 seems to have reduced Sins online player counts by about 40%, as predicted.  A small group of fiercly loyal Sins fans continues to play 5v5s on Diplomacy, though.  Hopefully some former regulars will tire of the clickfest and long for a non-clickfest RTS.

Locked Post 76 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 10, 2010 1:51:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starcraft 2 hasn't stopped multiplayer, its school that is taking most of my time.

November 10, 2010 4:00:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Necro posting...............

So you were going to school in July and all summer when the original post was relevant?

November 11, 2010 6:14:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just because something is older, doesn't mean that it isn't relevant.  The repeated and constant posting on this topic shows how relevant it is.  I don't care at all for the opinion of one person obviously lacking any consideration for another person. 

November 12, 2010 1:52:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, nevermind, not worth it.

November 12, 2010 6:39:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I hardly consider 2 months necro. If an old post has relevant information then by all means bring it back to life. 

What I could do without is spamming a thread with school yard behavior.

November 13, 2010 5:55:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Qu4r,

Quoting N3rull,
reply 3
SC2 is much less of a clickfest than SC1. Everyone who thinks you need to click five times a second and that this is all what the game is about should take a novalith in his face.

SC2 has two major advantages over Sins in my eyes:

1. It is balanced. NOW.
Maybe not 100% balanced, it cannot be when you've got three COMPLETELY different races, but sins compared to sc2 is about as balanced as rock-paper-shotgun. Sorry.

2. It takes 15-25 minutes for a match, 40 minutes in extreme situations.
I am not a lifeless nerd without a family to be able to spend 2-3 hours straight on a multiplayer game every time I wanna play or actually have some time for it. Not saying it's something unbelievably bad, it's just the way Soase is done, but it just doesn't work for me. For the same reason I don't play WoW - I liked it, smacking a few gay elfs now and then with my hammer and magic helmet, but then you come to a point when you have to go for a 3 hour no-pause-allowed raid to BT or whatever and that's where I'm off.

And that's basically what makes me show up as WhoTheHell.113 in SC2 more often than N3rull in Soase

Sins has many advantages over SC2 Most important is : in sins u must think fast, in sc2 u must klick fast.

Unfortunately peeps dont want to think while playing, they are looking for disstraction, fast clicking short matches.

dont cry about balance its quite ok everything can be coutered.

Sins is special. in sins skill>numbers, thats y it will never  have high player base.

So enjoi what u have

But dont worry all unfaitfull players will return as soon as their fingers will grow tired of clicking or lmb will die

PS im still here to smurf your ass:)

You obviously do not know how to play sc2. You DO NOT need to think fast in sins but you DO need to in SC2. In SC2 , you have to react to what your opponent is doing instantly , like building counter units , reacting to a back drop etc. But in Sins , you can relex and react even a min or 2 later without much serious impact normally. Those that do not think fast in SC2 will always belong to the lower level.

Which strategy game isn't about skill>numbers in a way until numbers overwhelm skill?

November 13, 2010 5:59:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvin3,

N3rull, thanks for the link.  Does SC2 have a good "game browser filter"?  With thousands of games available it seems like it would need a filter with numerous options people could check off.  Ideally I'd want to be able to select every option that I would want in a game--map, number of players, speed, races allowed, size of maps, pings, etc.

This is, IMO, SC2's greatest failing.  The system is essentially worse than no filter at all.

In essence, bnet is the host of every game, and it maintains a list of "popular" maps.  If the map you want to play isn't on the list of popular maps, you can't play it (unless you're the one who uploaded it to bnet in the first place, but good luck getting people to join when you're at the bottom of the popularity list)!  You have no way of knowing which games actually contain people in the lobby, and which are empty, which pretty much means only the most popular 10 maps are playable because no one can find each other to play the others.  Absolute disaster.

You shouldn't really be playing custom maps if you want to enjoy sc2 multiplayer , ladder is what makes sc2 a great game. I would have thought that players that only play multiplayer in Sins will want to compete in sc2 ladder instead of custom maps that don't define sc2.

November 13, 2010 6:05:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
Nerull does raise an interesting point--how the hell are you supposed to deal with 15,000 available games at one time?  That problem has never occurred to me since the only other non-Sins games I've really played are arena-style FPS where there might have only been 300 populated serves max at a time (for a given game type.)  By the time anyone finishes scrolling through 15,000 games they'd be filled.  Maybe it could have a map search function where you could type in the (partial) name of a map and then it could look for games hosting it.

There is a map search function in SC2.

Again I'm curious....I see mostly multiplayer Sins gamers in this thread but why are you guys talking about SC2 custom maps? SC2 ladder is what makes it the best online strategy game. If Stardock has a better online system , maybe we'll see more players online instead of just 100 or so.

November 13, 2010 6:10:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Darvin3,

SC2 is brand new, WC3 is ten years old.  Of course they're going to have different traffic.  Fact is, the WC3 custom system worked best when its traffic was high near the start of its lifetime.  I could create a game and it would fill up in seconds, and we'd start.  Yes, you sometimes ran into issues where the lobby would fill before you could join, but then you just joined another lobby, it wasn't a big deal.

How about finding another game that has sold more copies than sc2? No other non mmorpg game come close to the sales of sc2.

November 26, 2010 2:04:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm kind of curious how many people who jumped to SC2 have since gone back to other games.  Out of the group of friends I play PC games with, only one of us had enough interest to actually buy SC2; and he admits he played it for about a month and hasn't really touched it since.

The general thought among us is that the 'trolls' were right; the game really did play and feel too much like Starcraft 1.5, and only the really hardcore SC fans are sticking with it.  Not bashing SC2 here or trying to start a flamewar, just genuinely interested to see how it was received by others now that the newness and Wall of Hype have worn off.

November 26, 2010 3:35:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like SC2, played it quite frequently for awhile.  I`m glad they didn`t change it dramatically from the original.  There are quite a few changes that make it a different game.  Most have already been listed here.

Having said that, I`ve gone back to DoW2.  I just like Relic`s games better.  I have a hard time going to an rts that dosen`t have a cover system now.  I also like the focus on fewer units, Each unit is critical to success.  I`ve never liked taking a blob and smashing it into another blob.

November 26, 2010 9:03:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How's the community size for DoW2?  Steam has a crazy sale on gold pack right now, but based on what I've heard on Gamereplays forums most competitive players have given up on it until the next expansion is released.  If that's the case, I'll just hold off and see how the expansion is received before committing any cash to it.

November 26, 2010 10:05:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow I find this topic totally wrong, for me ever since my friends introduced me to minecraft, I have seem to have stopped playing Sins although Sc2 and Team Fortress 2 doesn't help either (and also my post-secondary education don't allow for much time either)

November 27, 2010 3:31:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How's the community size for DoW2? Steam has a crazy sale on gold pack right now, but based on what I've heard on Gamereplays forums most competitive players have given up on it until the next expansion is released. If that's the case, I'll just hold off and see how the expansion is received before committing any cash to it.

Well, The player base has stayed pretty stable.  Steam stats say usually between 3K-3.5K all the time.  I don`t have trouble getting a 1v1 ranked game going pretty quickly.  The player base is small though.  You may be matched against the same player a few times in a row.

The retribution exp is dropping GFWL, So it won`t be compatible with DoW2 or CR MP.  I`d pick up DoW2 if the price is decent, I`d probably skip CR.  I didn`t find the campaign that great, I don`t like chaos as a MP race.  I`ve logged 700 hours on DoW2, It was a great return for the $30 I paid for it.

November 28, 2010 3:12:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starcraft 2 has over 1 million at peak times, Its mind boggling when I used to be really excited when sins had more then 200 people at peak times , and to an even greater extent , when I used to be excited that Homeworld 2 had 20 players online.

Now im quite happy learning starcraft 2 , because its so easy to get into a game

December 15, 2010 9:33:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

P5yy is alive???

December 16, 2010 3:53:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

recently i uninstalled sc2 to clear some space.....not planning to play it ever again.

soase forever :>

December 16, 2010 6:52:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Funny, I uninstalled Sins, and installed nothing in it's place.  I need to spend more time with my kids and family.

December 19, 2010 10:20:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How haw could u.....

I know u will miss it and return , everyone returns.

I dont want to be the last DT smurf online

December 19, 2010 2:48:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You still have WHIP.

December 20, 2010 8:29:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The day whip quits soase...

December 20, 2010 6:57:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting P5yy,
The day whip quits soase...

Will be the day I either get a career job in my field or Sins-2 is released. 

December 20, 2010 8:37:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Eh, I'll play both for years, as well as many other RTS, not to mentions dozens of other games. I've been playing C&C:Generals as of late. I have all but C&C4 installed and still boot up the old ones occasionally. I also played Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine a while ago, too. Old game, awesome fun with a friend.

February 2, 2011 11:25:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My brother is probably goinng to get it do you think he should?

To me the game seems very simmalir to supreme commander 2 (which was horrible compared to the original) with way to fast paced battles to be fun.

Also my biggest qualm wtih Sins is that the game is a little to slow for fun fun. Also the advent homing mines get annoying.

And when is Sins 2 coming out???

February 2, 2011 1:17:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting CmdrNilles,
My brother is probably goinng to get it do you think he should?

Uh, I dunno.  What does he plan to do with the game?  Play it in single player or online multiplayer PvP?  How expensive would the game and its two expansions be for him?  (Could he get a new sealed copy of Trinity less expensively off of eBay?)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: