Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[MINI MOD] Sins Flagship Mod (Version 0.05 Released)

By on August 20, 2010 10:03:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

ZombiesRus5

Join Date 02/2009
+292

Sins Flagship Mini-Mod 

Downloads:

Sins Flagship Mini-Mod Download Link (All Versions)

Release Notes:

Version 0.05 (Reply #64)

Version 0.04 (Reply #55)

Version 0.03 (Reply #47)

Version 0.02 (Reply #21)

Version 0.01 (Reply 10)

Project Statement:

1. Create 5 Flagship Class Capital Ships for each race
  2. Spawn a random Flagship at game start (You lose it too bad)
  3. Increase starting stats for all Flagship Class Capital Ships.
  4. Add additional target banks to all Flagship Class Capital Ships.
  5. Dramatically increase leveling stats for all Flagship Class Capital Ships.
  6. (New) Capital Ships can be promoted to a flagship after level 8 or level 9.
  7. Tweak or create new Flagship Abilities (Need Ideas)

I will be using the Resize Tool to increase flagship mesh sizes - Thanks to gruntmaster1

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this mod.

A mini-mod for Sins of a Solar Empire by ZombiesRus5

81 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 20, 2010 10:11:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi everyone,

This is the first out of two mini-mods (Technology Pacts) I plan to work on...

Basically as I've been working on my entity validation tool I've been toying with some ideas. One of the ideas that seems to come up frequently is the idea of having a single flagship in the fleet. Without modifying abilties this would be a fairly simple feet to pull off. The only downside is the first capital ship in the capital ship factory will still be free which isn't too bad a trade off in my opinion. I'm also willing to tweak or add abilities to the flagships if anyone is interested and has some ideas.

I've also thought of implementing a king me approach to capital ships by limiting the amount of levels a capital ship needs to grow by before it can "become" a flagship. Downside here is the capital ship will need to explode to spawn the flagship based on my current understanding.

Feedback, ideas, opinions, or give up due to no interest?

- ZombiesRus5

August 20, 2010 11:35:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I've been mulling over a few ideas....

Mostly they include a 4th level to all abilities.  This would make most capital ships more useful come late game.

And I've got ship models that Ive been prototyping

Do you want those posted here?

August 21, 2010 4:10:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Would it be possible to make a new "flagshipCapitalshipyard"? This would solve the problem with your first Capital being free. You could use the existing model and textures to save on memory and such, perhaps make it research-able.

Just a thought.

August 21, 2010 8:48:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A ability to create ships from a flagship would a great ability, but I believe it's been tried before and doesn't work out.

You could also try to give as a ultimate ability the orbital cannon ability to shoot far away planets.

August 21, 2010 9:18:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I've been mulling over a few ideas....

Mostly they include a 4th level to all abilities. This would make most capital ships more useful come late game.

I'm pretty sure abilities and buffs are limited to three levels of improvement. What were you thinking for a 4th level?

Do you want those posted here?

No, but thanks. This first iteration is to give a random starting capital ship from the existing set that will be more powerful and grow higher in stats per level.

In the other thread I was more thinking if you wanted to know how to spawn a capital ship from somewhere other than a shipyard you might use this approach.

August 21, 2010 2:24:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Would it be possible to make a new "flagshipCapitalshipyard"? This would solve the problem with your first Capital being free.

Hey SuperZERO, to my knowledge there are a fixed number of ways to create ships: Frigate Factory, Capital Ship Factory, StarBase, createFrigate ability and spawnShips ability. I don't believe it's possible to create a new shipyard that wouldn't have to use an ability to spawn ships.

The problem with using abilities to spawn a capital ship is they don't follow supply lines correctly. For example: spawnShips will spawn a capital ship but will ignore the capital ship supply availability. I did one test where I spawned 50 capital ships, lol.

You could use the existing model and textures to save on memory and such, perhaps make it research-able.

I do plan to use the existnig textures and will only have to create new meshes for resizing which shouldn't be too bad.

I think your mod is already great for a researchable capital ship so I'm just trying something different here to see how it plays out.

August 21, 2010 2:27:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting FireoftheSoul,
A ability to create ships from a flagship would a great ability, but I believe it's been tried before and doesn't work out.

You could also try to give as a ultimate ability the orbital cannon ability to shoot far away planets.

Ya, there are some problems with creating ships through abilities. Spawnships works ok for frigates obviously (vasari fleet beacon) if you don't mind them hyperspacing in. 

I have had ships fire orbital cannons at the local orbit body, I'm curious though if they can target distant planets, would have to try and see...

August 21, 2010 3:15:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I've been testing out my own mod where I made a 2nd tier of capital ships for all 3 factions.  So I made upgraded versions of 4 of the 5 for each faction, leaving out the one I considered likely to benefit the least.  These 2nd tier capital ships are much more expensive (30,000 credits, 4000 metal, 2500 crystal) and have to be researched first.  You'll need to be able to support 10 capital ships to even research them.  Gotta know how to handle the little boys before you can build the big boys, after all.

They start at the equivalent of level 5 for regular capital ships, then range up to the equivalent of level 14-15.  Upgraded abilities are included; the 2nd tier capital ships start with abilities equal to a level 10 normal capital ship, then they can further upgrade them.  The 3rd level 2nd tier heal cloud and nanodisassembler are nice, but the uppermost level of the upgraded volatile nanites is truly awesome in its ability to sow destruction through an enemy fleet.

I could contribute by showing you what I did with the ships, or you could check out the upgraded abilities I made for all of them.

p.s. I'm not sure you can make 5 new capital ships without discarding a current one.  I think there's only 9 slots total, at least in OS.

August 21, 2010 5:34:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@Xalderon - Those are pretty good ideas too for your mod. I'd actually be curious to look at your abilities. Are they just scalar increases? Still, it would save me some effort to tweak the flagship some.

August 21, 2010 5:42:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've released version 0.01 of the Sins Flagship Mini-Mod.

Version 0.01 Release Notes:

Compatability: Entrenchment and Diplomacy only.

1. 5 Flag Ships have been created for each race
    1. Starting stats have not been changed
    2. Abilities have not been changed
    3. All level up stats have been doubled (excluding shield mitigation).
    4. Target counts per bank have been increased to 4 for all 15 Flag Ships
    5. Flag Ships are only spawned at game start and cannot be built from the Capital Ship factory.
  2. A random Flag Ship class capital ship is spawned at the owner's planet at game start.
  3. TECH Flag Ships mesh size and shield size have been increased 25%.
    • Mesh and shield size is for aesthetic purposes only.
  4. PSI and Vasari mesh and shield sizes will be increased with the next release.
  5. The first starting capital ship is still free, however, you have to research the first Capital Ship crew upgrade and possibly fleet supply upgrading depending on if fast start or not.
August 21, 2010 6:00:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
@Xalderon - Those are pretty good ideas too for your mod. I'd actually be curious to look at your abilities. Are they just scalar increases? Still, it would save me some effort to tweak the flagship some.

Some are simple scalar increases, but many have qualitative changes.  Take the big beam on the Advent battleship.  In the heroic version of the advent battleship, that beam has been transferred to a turret

August 21, 2010 6:10:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some are simple scalar increases, but many have qualitative changes. Take the big beam on the Advent battleship. In the heroic version of the advent battleship, that beam has been transferred to a turret

Sounds cool... You've peaked my interest even more

August 21, 2010 7:26:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I really like this idea. I tried modding something similar on my own but never had the time to get far with it. I was aiming for something similar to conquest frontier wars where you can 'call in' one admiral who has a specialized capital ship (essentially your free flagship as a one time thing) with specific bonuses. Some of the bonuses are geared towards buffing the fleet while others either boost the strong points of the faction or have some bonus against another faction.

This was way before entrenchment came out. I am wondering now if you could make your flagship using the star base as a template so they can be customized and actually change the model based on the upgrades you choose. You wouldn't be able to have levels I am assuming but the flagship should be beefed up already anyways.

August 21, 2010 7:31:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll try to package up what I have in the next day or two for the thread to look at.  It's not completely playtested, however.

Except for the string file, it all goes into \GameInfo\.

August 21, 2010 7:34:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just tried the Mod.

What are your plans on the new abilities?

August 21, 2010 8:02:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some interesting ideas here. I'll contribute more when I have a chance, but I do have an initial thought.

Bear in mind that the targets per bank is logically governed by the number of hard points per weapon type in that bank.  For instance, if you have 2 beam emitters to the front, you can only set the forward target count to 2.  Otherwise, each emitter ends up discharging multiple weapon effects at once, including damage.  It doesn't create an errors, but it is an odd visual on screen.

If you've increased weapon hard points to offset this bug, I apologize for stepping on your toes and will promptly insert my foot into my mouth.

August 21, 2010 10:13:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you've increased weapon hard points to offset this bug, I apologize for stepping on your toes and will promptly insert my foot into my mouth.

Thats an interesting point I was not aware of. I'll have to visually inspect the capital ship meshes to see if any have this limitation.

Additionally, I may tweak this as I go anyway as the Kol's forward beams sorta look a little odd hitting four different targets. Adding a little more damage may compensate for reducing the number of targets it can engage with the forward weapons. I'm pretty attached though to the extra target banks though for flag ships and it gives them an extra advantage that other capital ships don't have.

August 21, 2010 10:20:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting FireoftheSoul,
I just tried the Mod.

What are your plans on the new abilities?

Thats a good question. First, this is a mini-mod. I don't plan on it becoming a full blown mod (I already have one of those I'm working on). I'm going for the KISS theory here to make a decent little mini-mod that will be fun for gamers and possibly useful for other modders.

Second, I'm not opposed to adding new abilities or improving existing abilities, but I need some ideas. It's easy to code them and much harder to think of them. I spent several months just researching ideas for my other mod.

That said bear in mind the Flag Ship class capital ships will reach the stats of a level 8 "normal" capital ship at level 4. This gives them a distinct advantage when it comes to total AM and AM regeneration allowing already good abilities to be used more often during a battle.

August 21, 2010 10:21:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll try to package up what I have in the next day or two for the thread to look at. It's not completely playtested, however.

Except for the string file, it all goes into \GameInfo\.

Sounds good, thanks again.

August 21, 2010 10:25:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This was way before entrenchment came out. I am wondering now if you could make your flagship using the star base as a template so they can be customized and actually change the model based on the upgrades you choose. You wouldn't be able to have levels I am assuming but the flagship should be beefed up already anyways.

These Flag Ships will actually level up just like normal capital ships. A level 5 Flag Ship will have roughly the same stats as a level 10 Capital Ship.

Also, with entrenchment all ships, modules, etc can have the meshes customized (you might already know this). Although, you are correct that star bases allow the mesh to be changed based on the upgrade while ships and structures are globally linked to research.

I'm choosing to use the existing meshes though as this is only a mini-mod and I don't really plan on introducing new meshes or textures.

August 23, 2010 8:08:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've released a minor update of version 0.02 of the Sins Flagship Mini-Mod.

You only need to download this if you like the slightly larger mesh sizes for Flag Ships.

Version 0.02 Release Notes:

1. Increases PSI and Vasari flag ship mesh and shield sizes.

I now have 4 out of the 6 goals completed. This leaves starting stats and abilities. After playing a couple of times I'm thinking a small increase in starting stats and maybe another increase in leveling stats might be in order.

Thanks to everyone who's downloaded this and found some enjoyment.

August 25, 2010 9:51:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

here is another idea you can use to force the flagship to be the one and only

groups 0
planetItemsTemplate
    templateName "Template:DefaultHomePlanetSetup"
    subTemplates 0

group
            condition
                type "PlanetOwnerIsRaceQuickStart"
                param "Tech"
            owner "PlanetOwner"
            colonizeChance 1
            items 11
                item "Tech:Module:FrigateFactory"
                item "Tech:Module:CapitalShipFactory"
                item "Tech:Module:MetalExtractor"
                item "Tech:Module:MetalExtractor"
                item "Tech:Module:CrystalExtractor"
                item "Tech:Module:CrystalExtractor"
                item "Tech:Frigate:Constructor"
                item "Tech:Frigate:Constructor"
                item "Tech:Frigate:Scout"
                item "Tech:Frigate:Scout"
                item "Tech:CapitalShip:Flagship"

using the GalaxyScenarioDef file and put it under these headings
the player starts with it and if he loses it, oh well, can't rebuild

August 25, 2010 9:57:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey Ryat.

Yep, thats a solid way of doing this... I was looking for a way to have a random starting flag ship (see Goal 2). This would lock me into one type of flagship to start with which wouldn't be bad for SivCorps re-imagined flag ships. I was hoping a little randomness to the starting capital ship might be fun for some.

This is actually how I spawn the seed module with the ability to spawn the random flag ship. The module then silently destructs (you have to look quick to see it).

August 25, 2010 10:24:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ah good point with the randomness part, personally I like having a new model up for a flagship, am using SujperZero0's Kol mod for it

am also working out some abilities for it

an idea that you might like for the TEC is possible an expansive version of the Finest Hour for a level 6 ability that covers the fleet

August 26, 2010 1:46:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For some reason I cannot open the file, it says it is unknown or damaged

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000532   Page Render Time: