Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

The top of my hands get an itchy rash, but only there.

By on November 4, 2010 3:45:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ozzy38

Join Date 05/2007
+6

Of course, I've arranged an appointment with my doctor.

Right now I've had an itchy red rash on the top of my hands for quite a few days now. It's not 24/7, but at some points in the day it'll get itchy. But it's only over a certain specific area on the top of my right hand (from the bottom of my thumb to the bottom of the next finger) and the tops of the middle sections of my middle and index finger on my left hand.

Also, the rash goes skin-coloured when I stretch it and such. On the odd occasion, there has been one or two bumps, which looks like a bite to me perhaps.

I've had it before but it's usually only been one bout and rare, rather than once or twice a day over a few days. Closest thing I've had other than that was when I was 13/14 and I would get bubbles in part of the palm of my hands, they were itchy if I recall correctly. When I pierced them they'd be sticky. (my mum said something about heat...)

Anyway, my mum says this rash is an allergy. Does that sound about right in anyone's experience?

If so, I suspect a cat allergy.

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 6, 2010 5:52:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Could be a form of psoriasis, or an allergy, or just very dry air, depending on where you are. It's not likely to be a fungus or infection. Which is both good and bad - that could be more serious, but at least it's gone when it's cured. 

Does hydrocortisone help? It's not a prescription drug and will help remove both allergy and other symptoms, very safe stuff, but you shouldn't take it for more than a few weeks (and it only provides relief, not a cure as such). Does skin care cream make it better or worse (looks better but feels worse?)

Your doctor will be able to identify if it is an allergy and if it is, what it's against. But it seems very localized for an allergy.

Anyway, good luck. It doesn't sound like anything serious, but it's certainly annoying.

November 6, 2010 10:10:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Certainly doesn't seem to be psoriasis, although I think my mum has that, as it's not scaly and isn't anywhere else. Don't really think eczema either. Cold exasperates eczema rash, doesn't it? With my rash, cold soothes it. Also, my mum gave me a cream and that worked. Had no bleeding or ickyness either. Only closest thing are those raised, but painless, bumps which can appear when scratching, but no cracking or scaly scabs or anything like that.

Before, on the very rare occasion I experienced the rash, it was like having a real itchy itch, just the kind that would itch just as much when I scratched, but it would be gone in minutes. Just like any other itch that just so happened to be in an area where scratching felt good.

It's just this week it hasn't stopped itching completely and a couple of times it was really badly itchy.

I'd say the itch is most prominent on the area of my fingers from, and including, my knuckles and the two sections of the fingers from the knuckle (in other words: the fingers except for the nails).

At least it's only ever on the top/non-palms of my hands and fingers. Well, I hope that's a good thing.

Maybe it's fleas or bugs or something. *shrug* If it is one of the many skin conditions, it must be a very mild form of it.

November 7, 2010 12:11:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is there something you rest on your fingers? Do you have a beginning beard and you hold your hand below your chin, or new gloves, something you like to brush your fingers against, anything like that?

(Chin stubble can be surprisingly sharp and cause all sorts of itches.).

Honestly, I doubt very much it's fleas or bugs; they tend to go for arms and ankles - or the more juicy areas, if exposed - unless you've been digging in an anthill or something with your fingers. I'd rather suspect nettles, poison ivy, or stinging jellyfish, but you really should know if you have been in contact with that sort of stuff. 

It is safe to say that an allergy does not tend to be localized except to the places that touch the allergenic material. The top of your fingers in slightly unusual for that. Psoriasis as well as Enzcema takes MANY forms, so I wouldn't rule either out - most pictures are of rather extreme forms. However, I think speculation is kind of pointless, it is certainly best to go to the doctor - you allready have that appointment - and get the verdict there. He can actually give you something that will help, too.

November 7, 2010 7:54:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Khardis,
Is there something you rest on your fingers? Do you have a beginning beard and you hold your hand below your chin, or new gloves, something you like to brush your fingers against, anything like that?

(Chin stubble can be surprisingly sharp and cause all sorts of itches.).

Ha, well when I did get an itch I would scratch it with my stubble if I had shaved recently.

But that would be in response to the itch, rather than the cause. I've mostly stopped doing that anyway cos I didn't think it would be good, and I was suspicious it was causing the raised bumps.

November 10, 2010 7:15:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The doctor said it could be anything.

Mystery solved!...no wait...

November 10, 2010 8:24:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Doctors are dumbass over paid drug dealers. Always with an experimental band aid and never a solution.

November 13, 2010 12:52:34 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Post content deleted.

November 13, 2010 12:38:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Doctors are dumbass over paid drug dealers. Always with an experimental band aid and never a solution.

Buh?

Quoting IcemanUnlimited,
lolwut?

What?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: