Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

We Are Not Alone......

UFO!!!!!!!!

By on February 3, 2011 10:58:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

G_Bison

Join Date 02/2008
+108

I let you be the judge, comments below.....Bison....

Locked Post 100 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 3, 2011 12:33:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

..... light show

February 3, 2011 12:42:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I echo the sentiments of 'marmar158'. It's a light show, or it's fireworks.

February 3, 2011 12:53:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It has to be aliens.

Yeah it's a light show. It looks just like the one I saw someplace... I don't remember where. Maybe Stone Mountain or something...

February 3, 2011 3:09:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting marmar158,
..... light show

Quoting Whiskey144,
I echo the sentiments of 'marmar158'. It's a light show, or it's fireworks.

Quoting Syneptus,

It has to be aliens.

Yeah it's a light show. It looks just like the one I saw someplace... I don't remember where. Maybe Stone Mountain or something...

OK.

I can understand the red lights could be lasers hitting the clouds, but the solid white orb from multiple vantage points with no beam source. not saying it's the other, just suspicious.... 

February 3, 2011 3:23:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

GB - ET wants you to phone home!

What we do not understand far surpasses what we do.  While ET is a possibility, more likely it is someone playing a joke on us.  After all, just think how your grandparents would feel to see some of the stuff they put into movies now.

February 3, 2011 3:29:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

When the factions above reveal themselves, I doubt many will chuckle or make up lies to feel better.

Expect the Vatican and all world leaders to issue words of support and calls for unity in honoring the soon to be revealed gods.

All truth first is ridiculed, then bitterly challenged until it is accepted.

-.-

February 3, 2011 3:37:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Anyone seen "documentary" The Fourth Kind..... I think our god came back

February 3, 2011 4:18:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Its like ground hog day.  God visits. Notices that his temple isnt rebuilt yet, and desides that we have 7 more years to till armagedon.

February 3, 2011 5:41:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting aeligos,
When the factions above reveal themselves, I doubt many will chuckle or make up lies to feel better.

Expect the Vatican and all world leaders to issue words of support and calls for unity in honoring the soon to be revealed gods.

All truth first is ridiculed, then bitterly challenged until it is accepted.

-.-

I'm sorry, but that's flat-out stupid.

Quoting Greg30007,
Anyone seen "documentary" The Fourth Kind..... I think our god came back

I respectfully disagree, on the grounds that our 'god' isn't an alien from outer space, but a supernatural being not constrained by the laws of physics, in any way/shape/form.

Quoting G_Bison,
I can understand the red lights could be lasers hitting the clouds, but the solid white orb from multiple vantage points with no beam source. not saying it's the other, just suspicious.... 

Unless it shows all possible vantage points/beam source locations, then the simplest workable answer is that it's a lightshow.

Failing that, it's fireworks. For it to be non-Earth sentients, then there are simply too many assumptions for it to actually work.

February 3, 2011 6:05:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@ whiskey 

according to the documentary I'm referring to person under hypnosis who is "possessed" read controlled by alien being and while this person levitates she with weird voice says I am your God. There is some other language spoken which according to some linguists dates to ancient Sumerian. 

Just so you know. 

By the way 1: 

People started to worship GODS on the basis of natural or artificial phenomena that they couldn't rationally explain. That is where God aka supreme being aka being with unimaginable powers come from in first place.

In my opinion current mainstream and niche religions derive from early worshippers and are just "repackaging" of old religions and are good way of "manipulating" masses. Above statement is solely my opinion and it is not meant as to inflame or as  anyway insult.   

By the way 2:

Documentary is remake of real psychotherapy sessions under hypnosis that were shoot with a camera. It's worth to check it out if you believe in .....

February 3, 2011 6:33:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First of all, anyone who thinks that "The Fourth Kind" is a documentary, has to be on some real good drugs.

In any case, this has been shown to be a hoax by a well known hoaxer : http://badufos.blogspot.com/

Back in the 1970s, I had a friend who had a hobby of creating fake UFO photos (this is the days before cheap video).  It doesn't surprise me that people still do this kind of thing, especially with the reactions that you see to them.  (It's just like the people who faked the alien autopsy movie, and the guys in England who make the crop circles).  The problem is that a story about aliens is a lot more juicy, and easy to obtain by the press, than a story about a group people who routinely are able to fool the press (which tends to make them look stupid).

February 3, 2011 7:26:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Haldur,
First of all, anyone who thinks that "The Fourth Kind" is a documentary, has to be on some real good drugs.

In any case, this has been shown to be a hoax by a well known hoaxer : http://badufos.blogspot.com/

Back in the 1970s, I had a friend who had a hobby of creating fake UFO photos (this is the days before cheap video).  It doesn't surprise me that people still do this kind of thing, especially with the reactions that you see to them.  (It's just like the people who faked the alien autopsy movie, and the guys in England who make the crop circles).  The problem is that a story about aliens is a lot more juicy, and easy to obtain by the press, than a story about a group people who routinely are able to fool the press (which tends to make them look stupid).

I read the blogs in which the links you provided, at least 1, the one where the woman from Mississippi claim she has seen them there is a fake. However, the other 3 looks like they will be harder to disprove. The one that shows the closest was the best where you can the flash and the rapid ascension, if that is a hoax, is the best since Steven Speilberg in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. If it is real, well something is suppose to happen next year. Maybe prelude to come....Bison.... 

February 4, 2011 11:14:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@Haldur 

In my first post I did put documentary into the quotes. Movie is shoot as documentary and yes I believe in life on other planets. Are some of them technologically much more advanced than us. Yes they are. And I believe some of them have technology we haven't event start to dream about and if we saw it we wouldn't even recognize it as technology.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is like magic." I think Isac Asimov said that 

February 4, 2011 12:00:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
@Haldur 

In my first post I did put documentary into the quotes. Movie is shoot as documentary and yes I believe in life on other planets. Are some of them technologically much more advanced than us. Yes they are. And I believe some of them have technology we haven't event start to dream about and if we saw it we wouldn't even recognize it as technology.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is like magic." I think Isac Asimov said that 

1. The name is spelled 'Isaac Asimov' (2 a's).

2. It was Arther C. Clarke that said it.

3. the quote is actually 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'.

4. I also believe in non-Earth-origin life. I just don't think any of it is sentient or sapient.

5. The biggest problem with ET activity on Earth is why they want to be here. They're aren't here for our resources, or our women.

They're not here for our media, as it's likely incomprehensible to them. The only reason I can think of that an advanced, interstellar capable non-Earth-origin civilization would have to do with Earth that fits the supposed 'ET activity' that people have 'experienced', is that they're moving along an interstellar highway, and decided to make a detour to mess with the local hicks.

That's it. It's not that they're trying to figure us out, it's that they're screwing with our heads, because they think it's funny.

But overall, the evidence is against ET activity on Earth. They have no real reason to come here.

February 4, 2011 4:58:54 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,

1. The name is spelled 'Isaac Asimov' (2 a's).

2. It was Arther C. Clarke that said it.

3. the quote is actually 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'.

4. I also believe in non-Earth-origin life. I just don't think any of it is sentient or sapient.

5. The biggest problem with ET activity on Earth is why they want to be here. They're aren't here for our resources, or our women.

They're not here for our media, as it's likely incomprehensible to them. The only reason I can think of that an advanced, interstellar capable non-Earth-origin civilization would have to do with Earth that fits the supposed 'ET activity' that people have 'experienced', is that they're moving along an interstellar highway, and decided to make a detour to mess with the local hicks.

That's it. It's not that they're trying to figure us out, it's that they're screwing with our heads, because they think it's funny.

But overall, the evidence is against ET activity on Earth. They have no real reason to come here.

Quite right on the first 3!  I use to have his 3 axioms as my tag line.  He was way beyond his time in most respects (but so are mot SciFi Authors, especially Isaac Asimov, my favorite.

But on 4, I think some probably are sentient.  It is just that they are probably not much more advanced than we are - so they cannot get here, or we are just not interesting enough yet.

February 4, 2011 5:28:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First contact wont happen untill we break the warp barrier. 

February 4, 2011 10:59:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,
Quite right on the first 3!  I use to have his 3 axioms as my tag line.  He was way beyond his time in most respects (but so are mot SciFi Authors, especially Isaac Asimov, my favorite.

But on 4, I think some probably are sentient.  It is just that they are probably not much more advanced than we are - so they cannot get here, or we are just not interesting enough yet.

Either we aren't interesting enough, or they can't get here, or they are freaking scared. I'm serious with the 3rd one. It's not that they're scared of us, or what we might become.

It's that they're afraid of making too much noise, and getting noticed by something they can't compete with. In short, they're afraid of being smashed apart by something bigger and stronger and nastier. My personal opinion on sentient non-Earth-life is, that if it's out there, and it's as advanced or more advanced than we are, then they are not friendly.

They are mean, and they are going to get us before we get them. IF they fire first. Hence, the dilemma; do you fire, do away with a possible threat, but in so doing get noticed by a third party?

To use an example that is shamelessly ripped off of a favorite website of mine:

"....We ask that you try just one more thought experiment. Imagine yourself taking a stroll through Manhattan, somewhere north of 68th street, deep inside Central Park, late at night. It would be nice to meet someone friendly, but you know that the park is dangerous at night. That's when the monsters come out. There's always a strong undercurrent of drug dealings, muggings, and occasional homicides.

It is not easy to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys. They dress alike, and the weapons are concealed. The only difference is intent, and you can't read minds.

Stay in the dark long enough and you may hear an occasional distance shriek or blunder across a body.

How do you survive the night? The last thing you want to do is shout, "I'm here!" The next to last thing you want to do is reply to someone who shouts, "I'm a friend!"

What you would like to do is find a policeman, or get out of the park. But you don't want to make noise or move towards a light where you might be spotted, and it is difficult to find either a policeman or your way out without making yourself known. Your safest option is to hunker down and wait for daylight, then safely walk out.

There are, of course, a few obvious differences between Central Park and the universe.

There is no policeman.

There is no way out.

And the night never ends."- Atomic Rockets, Aliens Page, Fermi Paradox subsection, The Killing Star excerpt.

The thought experiment/argument given above is based on 3 (with a 4th amendment given by a third party) ideas (paraphrased from the link given above):

1. 'Their' survival is more important than 'Our' survival. In other words, if it comes down to us or them, they'll choose themselves.

2. Wimps' don't become Top Dogs. An intelligent, top-of-the-food-chain species (like humans, for example) isn't passive. They're ruthless and aggressive. That's how they made it to the top.

3. 'They' will assume the above two rules (or assumptions) apply to 'Us'.

4. Technology implies belligerence. In a nutshell, I've taken this to mean any species which has attained space travel, and particularly STL (or even FTL, if it's possible) interstellar travel, isn't going to be a nice 'guy'. Effectively, they'll be mean, and they'll be out to protect their own interests in any way possible.

The trade-off? They aren't going to actively attempt to attack. They'll disperse, and stay quiet. Dispersal means that they maximize species survival chances, and staying quiet means they don't attract attention. This is, incidentally, why we haven't found any signs of intelligent life (if it's out there): it's afraid, so it stays quiet.

Anyone who buys into a 'friendly' universe theory assumes that we humans have to conquer our self-destructive tendencies in order to not wipe ourselves out. Not a bad assumption in and of itself. The fallacy they fall into is that they assume that any species which attains space travel of any kind on a large scale will be like that. In other words, 'as we are down here, so they are above'.

The fallacy is that 'they' are not part of our species. Any alien species is 99% or more likely to be difficult, if not impossible, to understand. They will not be like us, at all.

February 4, 2011 11:03:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pbhead,
First contact wont happen untill we break the warp barrier. 

Curses. I forgot to address this in my previous post.

While I realize this is in jest, I simply want to make a point: REAL LIFE WILL NEVER BE LIKE STAR TREK.

Earth won't become the center of the Federation. Besides, who would really want to live in the Federation? They're a bunch of communist, anti-religion sissies.

I'm sorry, but I reject the Federation of Star Trek fame on principle. Because I have a 'religion' (I think of it as a faith, as it isn't about doing various rituals by rote, it's about having faith), I would probably be disobeying some Federation law, because they don't have religious freedom.

Then again, I've been reading a whole lot of SWvsST stuff, particularly the scathing critiscisms of the so-called 'perfect' Federation.

I'd rather live in the Imperium of Man of Warhammer 40,000 fame. It may be a super-dystopic empire where there are literally things that can eat your soul and cause you to go terminally insane from looking at them (i.e., die from going loony), but hey, it's better than the commie, godless Federation.

February 4, 2011 11:25:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am pleasantly surprised about the discussion that the above video has started. Whiskey, you said why would they come here. Could be a variety of reasons but take this, why do scientist go to Africa or South America or out in the South Pacific to to study indigenous peoples of the region.

Of course the very thing you described about alerting our presence, Stephen Hawkings said the same thing. I do believe he said that when Columbus arrived, it did not go well for the indians.... 

February 4, 2011 11:33:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G_Bison,
I am pleasantly surprised about the discussion that the above video has started. Whiskey, you said why would they come here. Could be a variety of reasons but take this, why do scientist go to Africa or South America or out in the South Pacific to to study indigenous peoples of the region.

Of course the very thing you described about alerting our presence, Stephen Hawkings said the same thing. I do believe he said that when Columbus arrived, it did not go well for the indians.... 

Well, the Indians Columbus encountered were probably 'okay', in the sense that they didn't suffer uber-horribly. Later Indian groups that encountered the Spanish conquistadors and the later American pioneers, sometimes did (more so in the case of the Spanish, who subjugated the entire Aztec Empire, IIRC).

Overall, IF, and a very big if at that IMO, there's intelligent life out there, it's waaay too scared to try and make contact, on the grounds of 'if we scare the piss out of them, and they are at equivalent/greater technological power than us, then we are screwed'. It doesn't really matter if we aren't of tech parity with them if they make contact, because they probably won't know beforehand, not very well anyway. It's simply too much of a risk.

It's like I said in my long post above. They aren't going to be friendly, but neither are they going to be over aggressive. An extension of the Central Park analogy is that you never fire a gun. The other guys will see your gunshot, and then you're SOL.

Of course, sneaking a biosphere-killer in (analogous to shivving/shanking someone from behind), then that's a different story. No one will likely know 'whodunnit', but they'll know to be very, very careful, because 'whodunnit' may still be around, and they obviously aren't nice.

Side note: I didn't actually watch the video, I just started posting. Mostly because I don't believe (most) aliens have a legitimate reason to stop by Earth if they do know of our tech level. The whole 'mess with the local hicks' is a plausible reason, just not a very convincing one. It's hella funny if it's true though (which I submit that it isn't).

EDIT: why a scientist studies said peoples of the African and South American continents that aren't even pre-industrial civilizations, I've no idea. That they do, well, that's their business. But I don't think the analogy is a good one; any civilization that has interstellar travel of any kind is simply so far ahead of us as to make us more or less an insignificant blip on the radar.

A blip that would be given a wide berth for fear of what we may become, but a tiny blip nonetheless.

February 5, 2011 1:40:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You could also look at it that they know we are here but they don't really notice us like we humans don't notice ant or a bug. Yes some of them are interested in "lower" species and they study them....

Unless they bite us or in some other way annoy us we just let them be. If they cross our path.... Well then we destroy them

February 5, 2011 1:45:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is curious that the majority of us quickly dismiss things like this skeptically.  After all, we've all seen star wars - it's not too far fetched to buy that this is just some special effect nonsense.  Heck - I could have even been there myself, saw this, and no one would believe a word I said.  But as I wasn't and I just have these vids, I don't buy it. 

Side note - if this was some sort of divine thing (eg - its the dome of the rock... aliens love to show up there... or perhaps religious figures), what purpose could there have been?  Extremely little to folks that are viewing this on the internet. 

February 5, 2011 2:00:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
You could also look at it that they know we are here but they don't really notice us like we humans don't notice ant or a bug. Yes some of them are interested in "lower" species and they study them....

Unless they bite us or in some other way annoy us we just let them be. If they cross our path.... Well then we destroy them

How do you destroy something that notices us the same way that we notice an ant?

Answer: you don't.

One of Arthur C. Clarke's other axioms is that 'Any sufficiently advanced alien species is indistinguishable from the fabric of the universe.' I doubt I've got the quote perfectly accurate, but that's the gist. While I personally don't really believe it, it does apply to this hypothetical situation.

The human race (or a sentient/sapient species that is comparable) simply does not have the capacity to engage and destroy an entity that either:

1. Notices us the same way we notice ants.

2. Is effectively impossible to distinguish from the fabric of the universe.

Take your pick on which the entity is.

Quoting OMG_pacov,
It is curious that the majority of us quickly dismiss things like this skeptically.  After all, we've all seen star wars - it's not too far fetched to buy that this is just some special effect nonsense.  Heck - I could have even been there myself, saw this, and no one would believe a word I said.  But as I wasn't and I just have these vids, I don't buy it. 

Side note - if this was some sort of divine thing (eg - its the dome of the rock... aliens love to show up there... or perhaps religious figures), what purpose could there have been?  Extremely little to folks that are viewing this on the internet. 

I doubt it's a divine thing. But that's just me and my faith, so whatever. I personally think it's special effects; the conversation simply got sidetracked onto whether or not aliens species (of rather obviously greater tech level, since they are supposedly here) would actually try to make contact with Earth.

My opinion has been detailed on the tangent we veered onto in the thread, as has my opinion on the video in question.

February 5, 2011 2:23:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I personally think it's special effects

same.  That's the thing though... most reasoning people will dismiss this, quite easily.  Imagine for a moment that it is actually something (difficult for me, but I suppose I can imagine for a moment).  If so, what possible purpose could this serve if its an actual event?  The dome of the rock is historically tied to Muslims, Christians, and Jews.  So, based on the current control, it would have primary significance to Muslims, but also significance to Christians and Jews.  But that said, WTF would a light hovering, then disappearing after nothing else happened mean?  The whole - hi guys - I'm out there (eg an angel, etc) isn't really a necessary message, per se.  All of those faiths exist today and no particular faith sites a ball of light returning, hovering, and then pissing off quickly. So, unless some event occurred as a direct result of said ball of light, then there really is no logical purpose.  I'd assume any sort of religious phenomenon would serve some purpose - otherwise, why do it?

This takes us to aliens - not a huge amount of logic in appearing at that location to check things out (unless some aliens found this bit of architecture more interesting than things that can be easily seen from space like the great wall of china).  Not quite sure why such a location would be of any real significance (and so precise as to be directly over the dome of the rock).  So, that probably rules out aliens.

And that takes us to the hoax.  Can you think of another location that would be more likely to cause speculation than something that is considered a holy landmark by 3 of the world's major religions? 

February 5, 2011 12:44:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
And that takes us to the hoax.  Can you think of another location that would be more likely to cause speculation than something that is considered a holy landmark by 3 of the world's major religions? 

No, actually I can't. I never thought of it that way, but that's because the thread was oriented around 'da alien menace!'. Your points on the possibility of aliens are quite accurate IMO; why should they choose this spot over anywhere else?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time: