Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Dawn of War 2: Retribution

The Imperial Guard are Awesome

By on February 5, 2011 10:07:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SpardaSon21

Join Date 04/2008
+65

So, does anyone here play the beta?  I would except my computer is beyond screwed-up right now.  I'm hoping we can get some discussion going.

Oh, and for anyone doubting the awesome of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrrCY7dgaqs

21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 7, 2011 12:27:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh My !!! 

That looks just awesome., I'm not in the beta tough.

When is the expected date of release ?

February 7, 2011 12:37:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm playing the beta (it's multiplayer custom games only at the moment). It's basically chaos rising with IG.

The imperial guard have a ton of cheap turrets and artillery. Some of the strongest artillery can wipe a tac squad out in a single strike.

Each race also has a super-vehicle in tier 3, and those are beyond insane.

You can make custom badges now, that others see. They can choose to not, though.

A nice little thing is that you can import your ranks from Dow2, so all your rank remains.

February 7, 2011 12:12:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm in the beta but I moving soon and haven't made the time... Hopefully I get to play soon.

February 7, 2011 5:33:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So after the other thread I decided to reinstall DoW 2 and give it another shot. Trying to get a SP game maxed out so I can decide if I want to try Chaos Rising.

For someone that hasn't stayed with DoW 2 news at all since before Chaos Rising was announced, are there any big changes technically or whatever I should know about? Didn't they release a map editor or something? Did destroyed vehicles as cover ever get added? If they're only now getting custom badges in, my guess would be probably not.

Just trying to see if the game itself moved forward over the last expansion and this. Or if it's almost entirely the same game. Was really hoping a year or two would see the kind of maps they put out get better as well.

February 7, 2011 7:53:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would say the main thing is the game has been balanced a LOT better. Each unit is still strong or weak against other units, but nothing stands out as imbalanced (ie - there are no units that are strong against everything). There was a major patch that rebalanced the energy vs requisition production in-game, so energy is a lot more rare now and therefore striking down enemy generators is a very viable tactic.

Introduction of 2v2, 2v2v2 and FFA 6 player games are new modes. Wrecks can be used for cover, buildings don't blow up as easily as they did in the start. Don't know if this was in at the start, but you can hide in holes in the ground created by explosions as well.

Last stand is a game-mode that was introduced before chaos rising, but long after release. You control a hero and fight off waves of attackers.

Other than that, the big new thing is of course chaos and imperial guard, that each have their own counters and anti-counters, making each game more varied since you don't know which races you'll be facing.

February 7, 2011 8:19:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Retribution includes a dark crusade style conquest campaign map too right?

Also I heard that it drops GFWL! Which means friends and I may go back to playing multiplayer again

February 7, 2011 8:37:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't heard anything about the single player campaign, other than the fact that every faction will be playlable - not just spesss merhines.

Yeah, steamworks may not be perfect but it's a hundred times better than Games for Windows Live. Anyway, Dow2 already required you to be logged in to steam (and GFWL) so the only real difference is they just removed one system that kept failing.

February 8, 2011 11:29:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Haven't played DoW2 since the original beta.  Sounds like I might give it another shot with Retribution.  No GFWL, decent number of races in the mix now, map count is no longer a joke, better single player, and super units are back for all races.  For $30 I'm willing to give it shot despite the Steamworks.  Also good to hear customization is back.  Can't wait to make my Cobra Imperial Guard force again.

February 13, 2011 1:42:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the Imperial Guard... Baneblade is awesome! That is all...

February 14, 2011 8:02:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the wreck-cover was added in CR, Heavenfall. 

Game is pretty balanced right now (better than it was when CR was released), with pretty frequent (small) balance patches to smooth out the several things that are undoubtedly OP and abusable. 

Regarding the single player campaign, it will not be a special, scripted, voiced and unique campaign for each race. From what I hear, it's the same maps, you just control a different race with different objectives. Relic has said the single player is going to serve more of a way to teach people to perform better in MP, rather than a distinct game with totally different rules and playstyle as it was in the vanilla and CR. YMMV. 

It may have a conquest map that you move around and wage war, similar to DoW I, but I haven't heard anything about that, they have been keeping it underwraps. 

February 15, 2011 10:30:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Got the beta the other day to try it out, and I have to say I'm pretty sold on it right now.  Most of my complaints from the initial release have been addressed, and with IG there's even a bit a base building in the game again.  Only thing that seems crazy OP so far are those IG Catachan guys.  Seem way OOT for a tier 1 unit.

February 15, 2011 11:21:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't they have an upkeep cost off the charts? Literally one of the most expensive units in the game, I think. Higher than terminators.

February 15, 2011 1:01:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Only thing that seems crazy OP so far are those IG Catachan guys

The Catachan grenade blast ability is getting a damage nerf in the 3.8 patch that`s to be released today.  They are an expensive Tier 1 unit.  400 req 40 power.  They are the second most expensive T1 unit behind Space marine`s ASM squad at 500 req, 50 power.  I don`t know what their upkeep cost is though.

Countering them depends on which race you`re using.  Chaos new Noise marines absolutely shred everything Imperial guard.  IG infantry are also very vulnerable to grenades and AoE abilities. 

I`m enjoying Retribution so far.  I like the IG alot more then I ever liked Chaos when they were added.  DoW2 has been a great series, I been playing MP pretty consistently for almost 2 years.  I would highly reccomend it.

February 16, 2011 10:05:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Playing the beta as well.  They are a bit squishy.  I with they'd make the sergeant and commisar upgrades both cost 3 pop points each and not 6 each.  Also, I wish they had some thing to counter walkers at tier 2.  As soon as a dreadnought comes on the board it's a constant run away.  The stormtroopers tend to evaporate pretty fast, especially against an assault cannon or melta.  Or that autocannon.   Melee is bad, but they seem to last longer against than any ranged attack.  Also, unless you have the the Lord General, no rienforcement on the field.  It's run back to base constantly considering the amount of casualties one takes.  At least that's been my experience off the top of my head.

February 17, 2011 12:07:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Chimeras reinforce your Guardsmen.  Get one as soon as you reach T2.

February 17, 2011 12:11:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I used to do that until I found out Tac marines can shoot it apart, along with every thing else and I still have to run from walkers.

February 17, 2011 1:05:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Use your Guardsmen as shields for your Chimeras and Sentinels.  Guardsmen are cheap to reinforce, and Retribution added auto-reinforce.  You can easily replace Guardsmen as they die, absorbing bullets for your precious vehicles.

February 17, 2011 11:39:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

*Raises Hand*

Okay, newb question.  How does one autoreinforce?  Is this an option to be turned on or a hotkey for it is not happening currently.

February 17, 2011 11:59:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Right-click the reinforce button.  It is just like Overwatch from DoW1, except it doesn't turn off when the squad is fully reinforced.  You can just do it to all your Guardsmen and leave them that way around your Chimera.  DoW2.info says Guardsmen take 19.2 req and 2.4 seconds to reinforce each member, so a squad can get back into it in no time, especially if you have the Sergeant and Commissar upgrades for your squads since each upgrade adds an extra member to reinforcement at no extra cost, so a GM squad with Sergeant reinforces two at a time and with the Commissar they reinforce three at a time.

February 20, 2011 10:18:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i love the IG.

Played a game where it was 2 IG vs Marines and Orcs.

We were up at first expanding very fast. But the toughness of the orcs and marines in melee was too much.

February 21, 2011 10:58:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Catachan grenade blast ability is getting a damage nerf in the 3.8 patch that`s to be released today. They are an expensive Tier 1 unit. 400 req 40 power. They are the second most expensive T1 unit behind Space marine`s ASM squad at 500 req, 50 power. I don`t know what their upkeep cost is though.

Ravenors. 400-45

Stormboys. 440-40. 

As of 3.9, Noise Marines. 400-40. 

Also, Catachans hardcounter all three of those units and ASMs, while winning 1v1 melee battles against upgraded Banshees and Sluggas, and out-shooting 1v1 every ranged unit (or outmeleeing it if it doesn't). 

And are detectors (counter Lictor Alpha, Kommando Kob)

And have a brutal anti-building. 

Their only weak point is that if they get caught out of cover by 2 ranged units they will lose a few models, which is rather expensive to replace, and they have slightly heavier reinforcement costs than other T1.5 units because they will usually lose a model or two every engagement.

ASMs rarely lose models, Ravenors can kill ranged units with devourers without losing models which pushes their cost to 460-70, Stormboyz lose models a lot, but they do so much damage they will kill more, Rangers pick off models one at a time and can just retreat if they are jumped without losing anything. Noisemarines are overpriced right now, but they are just as resilient as CSMs. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time: