Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders - Episode 1 content

By on March 19, 2011 5:12:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

IskatuMesk

Join Date 03/2009
+65

Custom SFX are hard to come by these days when you're making a project and aren't a sound engineer or fluent in ripping. If only there was a way to condense the vast, mostly hidden resources of gaming and the interbutts and get them into a location you could make use of!

That's what this release, and future releases, of my project's SFX archive aims to achieve.

This is the current version of my project's sound resource folder that is currently being used by the game - minus vocal responses and music. On its own it won't change anything in SoaSE, that's your job as a mod developer. Some of these are heavily edited, some are painstakingly hand-ripped from other games or they are from commercial CD's, lovingly remastered by yours truly. You are free to edit and use them in your project so long as you provide credit to me (IskatuMesk) for the originals.

Version 2 (Episode 1) (442 files) -

www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/BlackSun/BlackSunSFX_2.7z 14.7 mb

Updates -

The pack has grown in size considerably, with the inclusion of Episode 1 content including the Xy`Kranasha and others. To create this pack of sounds I required a year of time finding, remastering, building, and perfecting. I proudly offer this resources for fellow modders. I included a quantity of unused files located in the directory of the mod that may or may not be in sins-ready formatting. Note that both ogg and wav files are present.

Notes - Some sounds will be altered or different from Pack 1. For this reason, both packs remain available.

Version 1 - (109 files)

www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/BlackSun/BlackSunSFX_1.7z - 2.2mb

Legend

I organize my files by RACE_Classification_Type about 80% of the time. Some files in this pack will be replaced or revised in the next version and take up the proper naming scheme in the process.

AH_ or ah_ - Anahn

Anahn ships typically wield kinetic weapons. I used Wave Hammer and some Dynamics processing on sfx intended for larger warships as I am attempting to simulate sound-wise the fiery nature of Tiran-based weaponry, the kind that can cleave a planet in two. Anahn weapons must sound manly from the start, and build up to being ultra-manly. Suitable source sounds for Anahn weapons are extremely difficult to find, and editing/perfecting them is a constant ballet.

UD_ or ud_ - Undead

The Undead utilize largely Deimos-based elemental weaponry and thus most of their SFX will be based around psionic waveform sounds. A difficult concept to describe to a non-reader of the novel, but basically these SFX are based on what you would hear inside your head when these are fired in vacuum, as the sound travels via psionics. Undead weaponry are difficult to make SFX for, and expect many of these to be changed or revised in the future.

XY_ or xy_ - Xy`Kranasha

Xy`Kranasha have a mechanical reverbration-like effect to many of their Kato elemental-based weapons and will also have a lot of lightning-based weapons.

ZE_ or ze_ - Zelconian

I had originally planned to add the Zelconian to the project, but they were cut. Two ships were added to the game, along with their sound effects. They are a part of this package.

Note - Some naming conventions changed during the project's progress. They went from RACE_CLASSIFICATION_TYPE to RACE_UNIT_WEAPON. Some files are not named at all.

Version Log

2 - Initial release of Episode 1 material.

1 - Initial release of Episode 0 material.

EXAMPLE OF MATERIALS -

Custom music

In the past I attempted to compose my own music. Since then, all of the tracks I made were released free for mod use if you provide credit to me.

I released the music in the form of three rar files present on the Phrozen Keep, a Diablo 2 modding site.

http://phrozenkeep.hugelaser.com/filecenter/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1494

http://phrozenkeep.hugelaser.com/filecenter/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1495

http://phrozenkeep.hugelaser.com/filecenter/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1496

Example of material;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfjUHZNk5p4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDnNlP1KrE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRyYDowjyow

Note - I have not composed music for many years as I do not have hardware or software knowhow necessary to pick it up again.

Locked Post 24 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 19, 2011 3:56:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sweet, taking a look at these now.

March 19, 2011 9:19:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great sound effects!!! I will seriously consider including these in with my races.

Seriously having reusable resources like this is outstanding, kudos to you not just for here but your work in general.

I need to make voices for my plague race and just haven't put myself to it yet. I'll admit recording voices is not something I'm comfortable with but pushed myself through with the Nephilim race (most likely sub-standard results, but it's mine none the less). I just haven't done that yet for the plague.

March 19, 2011 9:33:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you have any questions about recording/editing voices let me know.

March 20, 2011 11:45:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Excellent stuff.

September 17, 2011 3:03:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am now taking requests for material you want to be included in version 2 of the pack. Looking for a particular type of SFX? Engine sounds? Explosions? Let me know and I'll see if I can include something for you.

Version 2 will be released when Episode 1 is completed.

September 17, 2011 3:21:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dalek PLEASE 

fOR SotC race add-on

Will only probably be 1 massive mothership with masses of daleks

Also SivCorp is creating a race as well that will be along the lines of Advent
Sivtherium Corporation

September 17, 2011 4:57:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ripping material from shows and movies is difficult but potentially possible. What do you want specifically? If you give me a youtube video containing the SFX you want I will attempt to rip it.

September 17, 2011 5:38:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ya I have ripped lots from shows and its hard to get a clean snd byte with no music or other sounds in the background.

For Sivs race, use a good imagination. I have permission for Gurkos Sounds so thats a bunch
For Dalek I will see what I can find 

Need a good mini gun sound for my TEC gunship   A10 like

September 17, 2011 5:54:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Miniguns - I have a ton of those being added in Episode 1 due to the presence of Anahn fighters and a few powerguns. I'll be sure to include the mech sounds from Tabula Rasa I haven't used yet, as well.

September 17, 2011 6:18:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Any good music with those games? I have 40 races I need separate music for. Got about 10-15 races almost done.

Want a place to upload your sounds let me know. The SoaSE and SotC weeblys are 1 at a time but I started and old VirtuVerse wiki long ago that is 10 at a time

Weebly Sound link

advent_audio_battle_1.mp3

Wiki

Squad_TechCombat_OnAttackOrderIssued_0.ogg

September 17, 2011 6:25:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What I really liked in the HW2 game was random people saying combat jargon or piloting jargon etc with TONS of radio interference or flux ... any chance you could have 'radio static' 'radio chatter' that we can either use stand alone or overlay onto other sound effects? That would be nice.

September 17, 2011 6:49:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you give me a list of lines I may be able to arrange that for you but no promises.

Radio static is very easy for me to do because I have the Spaceman plugin functional.

September 18, 2011 1:58:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know in Homeworld 2 there was a slider in the options menu that increased, decreased or eliminated all radio chatter between ships etc as they maneuvered about. All of that radio chatter was filled with varying amounts of static, frequency warps, channels bleeding together so you could only tell that someone was saying something but you didn't know what ...

I don't know if that is necessarily possible in Sins because it is not natively supported. What would be nice is a good set of radio sound effects we can overlay on the other sounds.

What program is your plugin for? Audacity?

September 18, 2011 2:12:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I use audition 1.5 exclusively for my audio work, but the plugin is VST.

While I wouldn't know how to add the radio chatter mechanically to Sins, I can potentially voice act and mangle the sounds accordingly if I have an idea what kind of lines people are looking for.

September 18, 2011 2:16:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How about keeping the same audio in Sins only with radio effects added? That might be something I need to look into  ...

September 18, 2011 3:05:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some plugins have issues with batch scripting but when I get some time I'll see what I can conjure.

October 6, 2011 1:09:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have altered the OP. My changes include -

- Adding the three music packs I had released a time ago containing custom music I composed in my old days of modding.

- Removed the link to Sc2mapster containing source archives for sfx as I removed those from the FTP a time ago due to lack of interest.

If desired, I can prepare music packs or playlists for individuals seeking to expand their mod's soundtrack past the generic spatter of trailer music and E.S. Do note such packs would not contain music I myself have created.

/e

Forum's bbcode doesn't properly support multiple video embeds. I cannot embed more than one video in the OP, so I linked the music examples instead.

October 7, 2011 7:39:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Somehow I had missed this thread before--really nice work here.

FYI--I can do some voice work if someone really needs it.  I used to make radio commercials and did my own audio editing.  So if you need an extra voice for variety or something let me know (I walk around all the time doing voices in real life--drive thru's are always epic--I can have the entire store packed in the little window waiting to see "who that guy is")

I'm not evil...just slightly deranged.  Maybe that's why when I pull up to the window to pay my wife always says, "I don't know him."

October 28, 2011 8:58:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have added Episode 1 material, which contains over four times the original package's files, to the OP.

Note there is some material missing from this pack I will sometime add as a third pack, including minigun sounds, since they aren't used in the project.

January 31, 2012 11:41:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Now that I have a mod where very specific effects are no longer necessary, I will be able to use all the awesomeness of this. I might even have to watch all of episode 1 so I know what I'm hearing...

February 2, 2012 3:37:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

At least someone will get use out of them. :3

June 2, 2012 4:44:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

you guys know any good way to extract sound files from other games? i've been trying soooo many programs and video tutorials  and cant find one to work. im trying to get the dialog sounds from "ground control 2 " ( SGL files) "earth 2160" (WD files) and "homeworld 2" (BIG files)    i have tried using you tube to record, but there's too much background noise in the videos. 

June 2, 2012 6:06:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I ripped Earth 2160 a long time ago. The interface sounds seem pretty awful. But here you go. www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/deepthroatgazelle/interface.7z

I don't have homeworld 2 interface sounds ripped. You can easily find a BIG extractor on the relicnews forums. In fact, the very first google result for "homewold 2 .big extractor" seems to lead to a tool pack containing an extractor.

No idea about ground control 2. Even if games share extension letters that can mean utterly nothing. Games range in difficulty for ripping from easy (google extractor, extract) to utterly retarded (headerless console formats that need hex editing knowledge and a lot of tools to figure out at the very least).

June 2, 2012 11:45:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thanks man that help.  i found a Big extractor for home world 2 that works  http://www.gamefront.com/files/11512137 Use the "HW2ICArchive" program. although there File type : FDA and the converter program i found to convert them to wav i cant get working lame.  still trying though. i might as well try to record them directly from the games. arh...lots of work. iv been trying to replace some of the voice sounds in Sins.  i mixed the voice samples of all three races into one ( vasari for the time being, if people are inserted ill do the other 2 races. i was tuning out the "one voice" through the game, and missing ques because everything sounded the same. so i divided the sound ques up with the 3 voices and some other sound packs. also with the fleet ship commanders with different sounding voice make it easier to tell whose who, jump orders, and the like. 

I've tried to add length and more samples to some of the voice sounds in Sins, but i found the voice audio dose not "step" on each other.  when one voice sound is playing, no other voice samples will trigger until the one playing is finished. although the weapon / ship sounds play over each other. are there any ship events that would work well with a vocal sample as a sound que? iv'e been looking at ways to add more voice sounds to sins , Like ; "Launch all fighters" or "Dock all fighters" i tried to use a sound board program but i cant get it to work with the game running. i think i can get it working with "KeyClone" and another computer. is there any way to write in more sound ques in the game? trigger a sound in game from something that didn't have a sound que be for.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: