Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

New Features Desired

Reverse Engineering, Crews, Titans, and Best Wishes!

By on March 22, 2011 5:56:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

HouseRalan

Join Date 03/2008
+60

[As posted to 7DS forums]

Corvette, wow, upgraded heavy fighter just under a light ship.  Just boost speed and halve the hp/shields of a MacArthur, increase agility, add abilities or 'selectable' abilities via research or, like starbases, certain weapons unlockable by specific research -something we've noticed and thought about heavily for ships.  Imagine, being able to upgrade your ships with 'alien' weapons because you did some 'Vasari Reverse-Engineering' or Advent after killing 20-30 of their ships, then upgrades to said weapons/abilities with more kills.  Blended tech ships.  Neat stuff.  Requires a new research tab section.  StarClad, steal my idea please.

Titans, yeah, we got them.  Massive ships with a 'real' cost of about 2 billion -compared to our capitals ranging from 136 to 600 mil (or a slight bit more).  Just slap on a big old area affect weapon and you've got it.

Victory conditions will be interesting -a good upgrade to diplomacy which my son played for 3 days and never after.

I'm look forward to toasting your success!  Please, reverse engineering of other races weapons/abilities based on killing/salvaging/scanning the enemy, create totally new research section for it too.  Each ship in the fleet that is 'upgradeable' with 'reverse-engineered' weapons and abilities goes from position (0,1) down to whatever or sectioned off for the X number of ships that upgrade and branching 'choices' where if you select 1 of 2 in 'tier' 1, the other grays, same down the line so ships can have 2-3 options.

Imagine:

Kodiak

Vasari Armor or Advent Shields
Wave Cannon or Beam
Repair Hull or Shield Boost

I'd also like crew to factor into ship performance, something that would permit colony ships or repair stations at planets to be able to re-crew ships damaged in combat from a military population pool.  Ship takes a beating, crew are bound to die.  Can't just rep a ship and it's 100%, not with 50 crew out of 5200; should operate at 1%, 2600 crew -at 50%

Knowing our Titans, I wanna have my mind blown by what you, the PRO's, deliver.

**Please, steal my ideas**

Also, when we get a public release, my excel 2003 workbook will be included so anyone can see exactly how we rebalanced everything and figured out financially balancing frigs, cruisers, battlecruisers, and capitals -then finally working out Titan costs.  I give them to you if you want them to use as desired to make Rebellion amazing.  Heck, I'll email it to Blair if I still have his email address.

7 Deadly Sins Manual -feel free to check out and out do; I say that humbly because I see great potential for Rebellion.

Good Luck and God Speed.  All the best from Danman Games!

Locked Post 33 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 22, 2011 4:16:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Please steal his ideas. I love the idea of salvaging factions technology. It should be restricted in some technology areas and the cost should vary based on upgrade but I would love to be able to get some of the tech or abilities or weapons.

Please steal. Implement. This an awesome idea.

Btw nice manual. Some one into graphic design?

March 23, 2011 12:00:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree doesn't StarCraft 2 do some thing like this??

March 25, 2011 9:47:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi All,

If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then I consider myself, and everyone at Danman Games flattered.  We, and other modders like ManSh00ter, have had Titans for years now, and it is good to see we are being copied by the ones who make the game in the first place

So yes, please copy our ideas.  Implement them into the game.  Give us more modding potential without crashing the game.  Make it 64 bit, multicore support (most people have at least dual cores now).  Having everything load on demand instead of all at once.  Make planets destroyable.  Allow for the adding of custom weapons, etc.  And yes, it would be worth it.  If you build it, they will come and buy it.  Especially if you have guys like us pushing and helping to sell your product.

You have built the best Space strategy PC game ever, may I say even better than the beloved Homeworld, and the other game close to my heart such as Master of Orion and Star Control, but it still needs improvement to keep it going.

Also, I am sure I speak for all the modder when I say this, if you are looking for ideas and help on what needs to be done, please ask us, the players and modders who have broken down your game bit by bit, and tested it endlessly.

As always, we will be by your side Iron Clad, and will support what you throw at us.  If you listen to us from time to time...BONUS!

DANMAN

March 25, 2011 9:54:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then I consider myself, and everyone at Danman Games flattered.  We, and other modders like ManSh00ter, have had Titans for years now, and it is good to see we are being copied by the ones who make the game in the first place

And only you could be so arrogant. Super-capitals have been hotly requested by the community since the game's beta stage (as well as almost every other feature that's been included in Entrenchment and Diplomacy), and that's why they are going in. Believe me, your mod had nothing to do with it.

March 25, 2011 9:57:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Actually, Titans have been planned since before the original Sins released. It's just that there were other things we wanted to do first. But great minds do think alike.

April 2, 2011 1:53:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Again quite good idea. As to if they might implement idk. It would make sense that rebel factions would might acquire other tech to use guerrilla tactics.

April 3, 2011 3:33:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another feature it could have is to improve the fleet supply income drain. Now, if we think logically it's a research in which takes a part of your resources and makes you have more fleet capacity on your empire. But I really think this percentage could be influenced by the number of supply numbers you're using, for example, I have a 400 max fleet cap but im only using  200 of them, wouldn't be interesting to reconvert these 200 supply into resources to be reused by your empire? Of course, this return of resources would still be inferior then you would gain from having a earlier supply technology with the same numbers used and that's where this returning of resources would be influenced by how much supply is being used and at which level the supply tech is. I think with this, losing your ships won't be so punishing for you, and you could rebuild your fleet or making defenses more easily(in terms of resources), through a violent rush of the enemy.

April 3, 2011 5:51:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They probably want to avoid that sort of heavy math for the player though.  E.g. you'd have an upkeep cost for potential supply alongside an upkeep cost for every ship constructed, and those would have to be considered together by the player at each step of the game.  Sins focuses on simplifying 4x elements to a skeletal form to fit with the pace of an RTS game.  So the player knows, "Okay, I get 100-some-odd supply from this tech, but I lose 10% of my income rate."

April 17, 2011 6:07:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My desired feature would be Custom Ship Designs.  I'm guessing this has been brought up in the past.  I seem to recall posts stating this is never gonna happen.  But no thread about new features would be complete without this being brought up at least once.

Ideally, military ship hulls would allow upgrades/downgrades of engines, weapons, shields, etc.  Each upgrade/downgrade would be a trade-off for costs, build-time, speed, and maneuverability.   The challenge for the game designers would be that balancing between races must happen at the component level, instead of the ship level.  The benefit is that the players can achieve infinitely unique fleet abilities within the boundaries of each races unique abilities.

If 'Rebellion' is just an expansion, then this is likely too fundamental of a change.  But, keep it in mind for Sins II.

May 3, 2011 2:24:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think there needs to be new buildings as well as ships. And planetary upgrades.

After having played Battlefleet Gothic, the spinoff game of Warhammer 40,000, and looking at some of their other projects from Forge World, it comes to my attention that planets, being as large as they are, ought to have defenses of their own. Granted, nothing too ridiculous but it wouldn't be unheard of if they had something.

So, for another planetary upgrade, something along the line of surface-to-orbit defense systems. It doesn't have to be specifically stated and could change or exist depending on faction (since Vasari rule from orbit, they could have something else instead; more on that later). I imagine the tec would have missile silos and some kind of magnetic accelerators/mass drivers to launch objects into space and to attack nearby ships. Obviously it'd have a limited range. While the advent would have likely beam weapons and psychic powers.

Of course, as a planet is bombarded from orbit, I imagine these defenses would diminish in effectiveness.

I know we've all seen the orbital elevators which make for pretty but otherwise meaningless additions on the planets. They are neat to look at. However, after playing Conquest: The Frontier Wars, it comes to my attention we don't have orbital platforms of any sort. Wouldn't it be neat, I feel, to have a third pool of buildings (right now we have defense and then structures)? Orbital platforms that could render a variety of additional benefits. Perhaps defense platforms (whicht eh Vasari would definitely use) like flak guns and CIWS for fighters and missiles or autocannons for bigger things that get too close. Maybe supplemental research stations. If for balance's sake, they wouldn't open up new slots but instead would speed up research. Can moderately increase population, et cetera. Additional or supplemental repair facilities. There are a lot of possibilities.

Then I think we ought to consider the possibility of satellites, deep space stations, and other things we can put outside of planets or beyond a planet's gravity well. Or where there are no planets. Buildings that could be specific to, say, certain areas like in an asteroid field you could put disguised buildings or hidden buildings such as listening posts, fighter bays, or research facilities. Defense satellites that are deployed like a starbase as something mobile but when deployed become stationary regardless of where. Laser satellites, torpedo satellites, missile satellites, et cetera. Spy satellites, even.

I also think we need ANOTHER class of ships, one that is between cruiser and capital ship. Something like a smaller capital ship that doesn't level or have nearly the same fire power, but has more than one weapon system aboard and greater survivability. And like two or three kinds per faction. Like one ship would have beam weapons and missiles. Another would have flak guns and fighters. They would also be built from the heavy ship yard, in my opinion, so greater use can be squeezed out of those things.

May 14, 2011 1:01:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Autocrat,

The best 7DS could do for ship classes was fluff it manual-wise.

Frigate: Anything with light armor. Usually anti-light/med weapons.
Destroyer: Anything with medium armor. Usually up to anti-medium weapons.
Cruiser: Anything with heavy armor. Usually up to anti-heavy or composite in rare cases.
Battlecruiser: Anything with very heavy armor.  Usually up to anti-veryheavy and composite.
Capitalship: Duh -capital armor and usually anti-capital weapons.
Starbases, orbital structures all have module class armor.

Only Capitalships, Starbases and Orbital Turrets have capital weapons good vs capital armor.  The 'Battlecruiser' class has at the most Composite weapons.

We are deploying an Anti-Starbase 'hunter-killer' Capitalship.  Not hard to do, set all weapons as anti-module and let them shoot anything.  Just modify the AntiModule weapon vs other types in the Gameplay.constants so AntiModule weapons do horrible vs anything but Module Armor.  This keeps the Anti-Starbase Capital from being effective vs non-structures and diminishing other capitalships and their roles.

We fluff sensor and communication probes as being what spreads "CULTURE" creating a communication network.  When two or more networks collide, whichever has the greatest signal strength overrides which can destabilize planets under enemy control -dominant "CULTURE" in area basically feeds bad news to planet or splinter groups rise up with said info and all hell breaks loose.  Again, all Fluff.

Having a Frigate Shipyard -frigates and destroyers, then Cruiser Shipyard -cruisers and battlecruisers, then Capital Shipyard -capitals + titans; yeah, having that setup would be nice and give loads of ship possibilities.

For planets to fire weapons from surface would be a strange thing requiring planet mesh to have hardpoints and somehow upgrade mesh for planetary weapon systems -remember, planets rotate too and nothing would look stranger than turrets on the far side of the planet shooting through the planet at enemies.  I think also, it would diminish the role of orbital weapon systems.

As far as deep space stations... well, TEC in 7DS can deploy a tradeport.  I guess if you had modellers, you could make mini-starbases.  You could also have a ship dedicated to deploying variations of the orbital weapons that have an expiry time of -1 so they don't self-destruct after a time -they'd be deployed similar to Vasari mines.  This could also be used to deploy jump blockers, phase gates, antimatter rechargers, etc... way beyond your borders.

May 24, 2011 11:04:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

honestly, these are good ideas, but what i would really love to see implemented would be veteran status for ships other than capital ships. my example, while not the best would be "command and conquer, kane's wrath" where units, depending on experience in battle would get better at combat.

simple way is that what ever experience value the capital ships get, say 10 points for killing a light frigate, all other ships would receive one exp point. at 50 points they will get some slight perk, say .5 extra armor compared to freshly made ships of their kind. then at 100-150 points, they get a slight damage upgrade, or more shielding, and so on up to say 2 or 3 upgrades at which point the ship will be a "veteran".

the ships, even at veteran status would not be overwhelmingly powerful, but in a one on one against a freshly made ship of the same class and type will survive. that is two Tec light frigates go head to head, the fully veteran ship will beat out the non veteran ship by a few hp. nothing outrageous that will unbalance the game of course, just something to say "this ship and crew know what they're doing and do it well".

May 26, 2011 12:38:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting duskguy,
"this ship and crew know what they're doing and do it well"

This seems to me the most logical, rational upgrade that could be made. This mechanic exists in countless other RTS/4X games and is completely intuitive. Again, nothing game breaking but you know doesn't it make sense that a gunnery crew will learn how to load munitions faster as they gain experience resulting in 5% Rate of Fire increase or managing power systems more effectively allowing for 5% shield increase. Or just knowing all of the systems more expertly causing 5% repair rate increase.

May 27, 2011 4:29:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SemazRalan,

The planets don't rotate too fast and what can be done is divide a plant into four sections with players have to decide which section of the planet one might want to put weapons on. Whenever an enemy comes into the field of fire, well, we know what happens.

But as for the planetary weapons, we don't actually have to see any turret or silo, only the projectiles launching from the surface.

May 30, 2011 4:54:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DANMAN3712,
Hi All,
If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then I consider myself, and everyone at Danman Games flattered.  We, and other modders like ManSh00ter, have had Titans for years now, and it is good to see we are being copied by the ones who make the game in the first place...blah, blah, blah

Quoting Annatar11,

And only you could be so arrogant. Super-capitals have been hotly requested by the community since the game's beta stage (as well as almost every other feature that's been included in Entrenchment and Diplomacy), and that's why they are going in. Believe me, your mod had nothing to do with it.

Sorry Dan, but damn that needed to be said. Let's all just step back and see where the internal development takes Stardock. I have a feeling that even without a forum full of rabid players screaming their ideas out, they'd still make a damn good game.

May 30, 2011 5:37:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just a thought that would also impact the game and make things more interesting, fighter pilot school. You have schools to train the crew of a ship for the ship's experience, but why not have a tech to train fighter pilots to hit more accurately and be more evasive? I understand that you can't really give experience to the fighters because they are so short lived, however if the pilots had to go through a school before becoming pilots (hence the tech) then ever pilot getting into a fighter would be a better pilot than say a green rookie.

June 26, 2011 12:55:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I vaguely recall that the engine or graphics are going to improve (again?) in Rebellion. I don't remember if I said this somewhere already but in addition I'd like to see the turrets on ships with turrets actually move. Like in Homeworld.

I imagine the heavy autocannons on the Kol are supposed to be the same length (because they'd look better like that anyway) but slide back for recoil or whatever. (If not, it's another suggestion).

I'd also like to see the custom names appear on the capital ships.

AND. . and. Greater variety in planetary skins. I've had several games where all the skins for desert and terran planets were the bloody same on each one.

And add greater variety of spacial anomalies. Like, add a black hole type (which you can toggle on and off for randomly generated solar systems because I know some of us wouldn't want to deal with it, like, all the time). And meteor showers. Perhaps only in their own gravity wells or occasionally passing through other (also toggable?).

In fact, give randomly generated maps more toggles! More options is better.

Give us an option to name AI computers, too.

As a player who makes up story as I go along, it'd help a great deal since there is no actual story campaign.

Is there an option to upload our own portraits? I. . don't know if there is and I don't think I've figured out the game fully in spite of all my time with it. It'd be cool to upload my own avatar picture. More freedom is better.

June 26, 2011 1:07:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh. More capture-able buildings. Like, more than just mines. Maybe deep space trade stations or battle stations/hangers.

Maybe derelict ships that you can "capture" and "repair" or another sort of artifacts that can be captured to do stuff (and probably only found in asteroid belts and the such).

All these ideas also can be toggled for people who are not particular fond of them or want to change the experience.

And the ability to cripple and capture enemy ships. 

June 29, 2011 8:02:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some ideas:

1. An overhaul of the Diplomatic Tech tree and system. The devs have been looking into this for the 1.3 patch, and it looks to be a step in the right direction. For me, diplomacy is only useful insofar as I can use it to hold an opponent at bay for awhile with a cease fire and milk him for a trade agreement. The effort it takes for me to send out envoys and research the higher tech in the tree just hasn't seemed as attractive to me as the other three 9tech trees). I would like to have the same "BOOYAH" feeling once I finish my Diplomatic research as I do when I finally get that Mass Trancendence or Kostura Cannon. Finishing the Diplomacy Tree just feels meh to me. To this end, I would like to see the higher end pacts (15 Relations Points or better) beefed up a bit.

2. The ability to give ships between factions as rewards for completing missions. I realize that there are issues here with this, but if there is the ability to mod-in capturable capital ships, and the Advent can obviously already take over frigates and cruisers, why can't we make it so we can trade ships? This seems viable, especially if two groups already share technology, and considering the Rebel factions will be using others technology.

3. More types of planets and space anomalies. I've seen some amazing work done out there by various modding teams, so I KNOW the guys here can do it as well!

4. Please make it so that re-selecting a fleet with new ships doesn't make a random ship the "Flagship." Is there a way to always have the highest-level capital ship be the flagship? About 70% of the time I add new forces to my fleet and reselect them with the "Make Fleet" option, a random frigate or cruiser is made the Flagship over my level 10 beauty.

5. Make scuttling free up the space in logistics/tacticals so you can queue something to be built after it is finished scuttling.

6. Thank you to all the hard work done by the dedicated programmers and testers at Ironclad and Stardock!

June 29, 2011 9:53:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@DavidFalcon

If your pilots simply gained experience for kills they made, it might give us a reason to actually use the manual dock button.  We already have the heavy fighters ability, letting fighters gain XP for buffs would be cool.

Darn good root idea there.  Maybe the "Fighter School" would be what was needed to unlock the leveling ability.

TOP GUN!

June 30, 2011 3:45:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Real Superweapons Please with upgradeable effects!!!

See my post detailing my Superweapon idea.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/408935/get;2941306

August 9, 2011 12:52:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1) I think there was a game, Genesis Rising, where each ship you had was customizable, I never played it so I don't know much about it but if that mechanic were put into a future version (or better yet, a mod) that might be nice.

2) Phase lane system, I see how it makes sense, but someone made a mod where there was a technology that gave the effect of a phase stabilizer to every explored planet and star (you had to explore on the phase lanes, but once you researched this you could take one jump from any planet to any other planet). This a) made it easier to reinforce worlds under attack, forced you to garrison every planet which made it easier to overexpand and open vulnerabilities and c) made sneak attacks easier (think battle of Courescant in Revenge of the Sith, huge battle fleet appears over the capital, and within hours over a thousand allied battle-cruisers arrive to engage) I don't think that the whole surface war like "battle lines" idea that this game uses works in space, you should be able to phase wherever you want and hit your enemy from behind

3) If the second version can't happen, then at least a better espionage/cloaking option. I like the idea of deployable spy stations or listening posts so you can see what your enemies are doing without them realizing (and vice versa) at the same time, maybe a way to make ships invisible to enemies so you could sneak behind enemy lines and wreak havoc (or maybe an AoE buff so you could squirrel a fleet into a weak spot)

August 10, 2011 2:26:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Autocrat,
I also think we need ANOTHER class of ships, one that is between cruiser and capital ship. Something like a smaller capital ship that doesn't level or have nearly the same fire power, but has more than one weapon system aboard and greater survivability. And like two or three kinds per faction. Like one ship would have beam weapons and missiles. Another would have flak guns and fighters. They would also be built from the heavy ship yard, in my opinion, so greater use can be squeezed out of those things.

I'm exploring this idea in my mod with a new branch of ships called Defense Cruisers.  They have lighter guns that allow them to act as heavy anti-flack, but still have forward guns (of a different type, typically the classical capital weapon) as forward guns that allow them to punch holes in enemy frigates.  That said, they are still weaker than LRF or HC's at direct damage, though they definitely outclass anti SC.  They come at tier 7 with an additional ability at 8.  Primary purpose?  Defend against late-game massed bombers and LRF.

For instance...

TEC: autocannon antilight, missile composite

The abilities also vary by race and having defense cruisers definitely would increase the survivability of your fleet.  Vasari DC's passively defend capitals and starbases from all sources [T8] and have wave cannons that reduce enemy firing rate [T7].  The advent ship passively reflects damage done to itself [T7] and actively reduces the damage of nearby enemy sc [T8].  The TEC take a more direct approach with it's ship firing only fragmentation rounds [T7] and having the ability to drastically decrease it's cooldowns [T8].

I'm not trying to advertise here for the mod, but the point is, they do end up being a quasi-capital class.  They have hulls not too far below Advent capitals and shields not too far below those of the TEC.  They have multiple banks of weapons.  They have abilities (though not levels of course).  All of these were actually inadvertant results of trying to simply come up with a solution for the tendency of people to spam LC's to mass bombers to unstoppable levels.  I'd certainly not mind if something like this was incorporated, but alas, this is unlikely.  There is of course the balance problem, but since they would only occur late-game, it is doubtful that anyone could rush DC's.  If you did, you'd have probably sacrificed so much of your economy that you might build one DC before losing the game.  The point is, these did become miniature capitals in a lot of ways.

On a related note, I've always been fine with more classes and honestly wondered why we never had corvettes before.  Frigates just seemed too big for what I wanted...  As for battlecruisers or defense cruisers being quasi-caps, they can be left as cruisers without having to be dedicated classes.

August 14, 2011 1:22:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another thing that has been on my mind is that it seems really odd that all planets have neutral TEC vessels, Cobalts and the like. Yet no buildings of their own.

I'm thinking they need to have one or two random buildings that you can destroy, capture, or both. Obviously many would still have none, some would have one or two, and the more well defended would have three or four. Anything from research to trade ports to defense guns.

I'm also thinking that the mobs, neutral ships, whatever kids call them today, should have their own special ships or at least their own unique design (like pirate ships).

And if not ships that can be bought later that deploy into buildings in gravity wells that have no planets, perhaps ships that are unlocked at tier 7 or 8 that are construction ships that can move beyond wells.

August 14, 2011 1:33:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AdmiralAckbar42,
1) I think there was a game, Genesis Rising, where each ship you had was customizable, I never played it so I don't know much about it but if that mechanic were put into a future version (or better yet, a mod) that might be nice.

2) Phase lane system, I see how it makes sense, but someone made a mod where there was a technology that gave the effect of a phase stabilizer to every explored planet and star (you had to explore on the phase lanes, but once you researched this you could take one jump from any planet to any other planet). This a) made it easier to reinforce worlds under attack, forced you to garrison every planet which made it easier to overexpand and open vulnerabilities and c) made sneak attacks easier (think battle of Courescant in Revenge of the Sith, huge battle fleet appears over the capital, and within hours over a thousand allied battle-cruisers arrive to engage) I don't think that the whole surface war like "battle lines" idea that this game uses works in space, you should be able to phase wherever you want and hit your enemy from behind

3) If the second version can't happen, then at least a better espionage/cloaking option. I like the idea of deployable spy stations or listening posts so you can see what your enemies are doing without them realizing (and vice versa) at the same time, maybe a way to make ships invisible to enemies so you could sneak behind enemy lines and wreak havoc (or maybe an AoE buff so you could squirrel a fleet into a weak spot)

Yes. Genesis Rising. I never played it but it seemed like an interesting game. You had "living" ships.

Genesis Rising, Nexus: Jupiter Incident, Conquest: The Frontier Wars, Homeworld. These are the rare few space RTS games out there, ones that I love to death.

If Sins took a few more elements from these games, it'd be that much sweeter.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000860   Page Render Time: