Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Sins needs a change

By on March 23, 2011 5:28:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Derpy_Hooves

Join Date 07/2009
+1

Fixed the 'wall of text' problem I had after posting this from my iPod...sorry to anyone who had to witness that

What I mean by this is that the devs need to start listening to us players more, and opening their eyes to some of the great ideas we all have.

Let's face it guys. Sins is getting boring.     

Since the game has been out for a few years now,(as with all games) it gets stale. Don't get me wrong, the Entrenchment and Diplomacy expansions and the mods have extended the awesome traits Sins brings to the table, but the game needs something new, something fresh.      

Rebellion could change everything. With the new ships that Ironclad has confirmed, many new options could be added. The Titan class vessels could easily change the course of any battle, and the Corvettes have a ton of potential, as someone in another post had said. But there's some things I have read recently (and new ideas of my own) that I would like to see implemented in Rebellion or the inevitable sequel to the epic RTS experience that is Sins of a Solar Empire.       First off, I have read about the idea of supply lines for ships. I didn't agree with the idea entirely, but to some degree I do. There shouldn't be supply ships that constantly have to refuel and replenish ammo, but maybe antimatter ships that could refill antimatter. The big place this could fit in would be repairs. When a ship is being repaired at the repair bay, the bay itself is using up it's antimatter to rebuild the battered ship's hull. But if there were antimatter ships roaming the galaxy from dedicated facilities, they could replenish the bay's supply and repair the ship faster.     

This brings me to another thing: dry docking ships to a repair station. We all know that after a long engagement with the enemy, it takes forever to get a ship back to full health. But what if you manage to get the ship out to one of your planets, only to have an enemy fleet jump in after it? It's doomed. But--if you had a dedicated repair station to house the vessel for a minute or two, it would be back in ship shape (no pun intended) for the next fight. Of course, while docked, the ship would lose all combat capabilities and be immobile. But the bay it is in would be heavily armored, assuring its safety.     

The weakness here would be that the repair bays must be supplied by a third party delivery of antimatter to function, not like the bay I mentioned above. They would be a different structor altogether from the repair bays we have now, being able to house a capital ship or a few frigates or cruisers. Titans wouldn't be able to fit, but they're probably so large and heavily armed and defended that if one is so badly damaged it has to retreat, you probably have lost anyway.      

Another viable method to destroy these facilities would be an ability bombers could have. They would fly into the front of the bay, releasing their payloads as they go, then scream out the other end with a glorious jet of flames and shrapnel following them. A way to balance this out would be that the squadron flying through the repair bay would have to fly a certain distance perfectly straight without being hit too much in order to accurately fly into the opening. So you would want to defend these structures with fighters and flak. This would be so epic to watch, even for the owner of the repair bay. The antimatter ships could also go to other structures as well, providing it where needed. Eventually, through research, an antimatter ship could dock with a cap ship and drop off a cache of reserve antimatter to be used later. The possibilities are extraordinary.

There's also another thing that kind of bothers me: that lack of any weapons on carrier cruisers. I'm not saying that they need a ton of guns bristling off the sides of the hangers, but come on. What modern day aircraft carrier is unarmed? None. They're actually far from it, most having a ton of missile defense systems and anti-aircraft guns. But I'm not asking for much. I mean colony frigates have a laser battery! Ships that aren't even designed for combat have weapons! Don't give it too powerful of weapons, but at least a ship-to-ship cannon or two and a few AA guns.      

Another new idea I read was the concept of ship carrying vessels. I love that idea! Imagine an immense ship capable of carrying 30 or so frigates or 5-10 cap ships. They would be completely unarmed but heavily armored. That would be such an epic sight. Of course it would be kind of impractical, but it could serve a role. Maybe they can't phase jump. But maybe they can, and are really, really, REALLY slow and must come to a complete stop to unload the ships one at a time. I don't honestly know what the devs could do with this, but they could make it work at some point if they liked the idea. It is sort of impractical, but what the hell.

Anyway, moving on to the Titan ships. Hopefully they will do something like this: For each race there will be two types of Titans, War and Economic. War Titans will be combat dedicated vessels, teeming with weapons of every shape and size, from flak cannons to rail guns, and housing squadrons of strikecraft. Eco Titans will be almost like a mobile civilization, acting as a trade and population center, with a few basic defended and a ton of armor. They will provide culture and income bonuses (or hindrances if enemy) to the planet it is currently at.      

This would fit into each race's canon quite nicely:  For one, each faction needs more firepower, so that covers the War Titans. How they each do it however, is unique.

-TEC War Titans are loaded to the max with weapons. They have a massive gun mounted on the prow of the ship, with dozens of flak, laser, missile, and auto-cannon batteries on the sides. They also have front mounted beam weapons similar to the Kol's. 

-The Advent are known for their strikecraft, and their War Titan is capable of housing over two dozen squadrons of them.   They have Illiuminator stye beams on the sides, and plasma, anti-air, and laser batteries on the sides, and a whole host of special Advent-style abilities to boot.

-Vasari have mastered the art of phase manipulation, and with a vessel this size they now can jump the ship virtually anywhere. They also have the ability to produce ships out of the Titan, and to repair nearby vessels.

As for the Eco Titans:

-The TEC are always looking for a way to profit, and these would do just that, granting special resource and credit bonuses for them.

-The Advent try and spread their culture in any way possible, and these would give them bonuses in that, as well as a decrease in build time for structures and ships in the grav well.

-The Vasari have been running for so long that they are bound to have mobile "planets" so to speak. They get a tax income bonus and damage increase for nearby ships and static defenses.      

The catch of all these special abilities is that they require a lot of antimatter to function. In order for the abilities to be used effectively, an antimatter ship could resupply it, or you could simply wait for the antimatter to refill itself, which takes a ton of time that you probably don't have. On the other hand, the Titans would have a huge pool of antimatter to use, maybe 500 to 1000 at max. But each resupply craft would only carry 50 at first, up to 200 with research, so it would take time to fill back up.     

There's also a lot of ideas that the community wants, such as new planet types, new ships, more customization, planet weapons, invasions, ground combat, and so much more. I just listed some of the things that appeal to me the most, but there's a ton more. I posted this in hope that the developers would consider these ideas, along with all the other great ones here on the Sins forums, because there's some great stuff here. If they put even half of it in a game or expansion, it would be a hell of a game, and something we all would probably love and play for years to come.

/rant

Locked Post 103 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 23, 2011 9:58:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The problem with supply ships is that they would bog down the memory and processing power needed to run the game.  Antimatter loss during jumps simulates travel without replenishing supplies.  It probably wasn't intended that way, but you can conceptualize it along those terms.  Also, upkeep percentages associated with fleet supply represent your empire spending the extra resources to keep the ships supplied for combat.  Too much supply will bankrupt you just like the Soviet Union. 

On the idea of dry docking for fast repairs, it is a nice thought.  But, aside from the Vasari, the repair process seems quick enough already.  The Advent repair 300 hull in 10 seconds, and the TEC can repair up to 600 hull in 10 seconds if they have Hoshis helping the structures.  If capital ships often have 3,000 to 5,000 health during their lifespan, they'll get repaired in two minutes or less in most cases.  See also the processing and memory issue. The game already has a lag spike when starbases are deployed, and used to crash when the Evacuator spawned several construction frigates at once. 

On the idea of ships carrying ships, my random guess is that you could see such a feature from the TEC Titan in Rebellion.  Their starbase can do it(or at least function like a factory), and the TEC is known for rapidly spewing out huge fleets of cheaply constructed ships(e.g. Kodiaks in 10 seconds under the right circumstances).  My other Titan ideas, wherever the thread is right now, was that the Vasari Titan would have a sort of Phase Stabilization Calculator on board that lets it jump to a location two phase lanes away as if there were stabilizer nodes on both ends(the game already calculates number of jumps to determine allegiance, so it uses extant variables).  It would thus be faster, and would likely need to be a bit weaker to make up for that.  The Advent idea I had was predictably similar, lots of strikecraft and mobile culture generation.  Advent do love their shield mitigation after all. 

March 23, 2011 10:39:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mind...can't perceive...the wall...the waaaallll!  Please tear it down. Pweeeease.

March 23, 2011 10:41:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Mind...can't perceive...the wall...the waaaallll!  Please tear it down. Pweeeease.

This.  Paragraphs are your friend.

March 23, 2011 11:00:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and, apperantly, apple products are not your friend.

March 23, 2011 11:16:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think the paragraph above can bring out latent obsessive-compulsive tendencies.. after reading a couple of lines, my eyes kind of focussed back and took in the whole text, and then I started counting the small round holes in the wall of text, he he.

March 23, 2011 11:19:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pbhead,
and, apperantly, apple products are not your friend.

Everyone should already know this.

March 23, 2011 1:44:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You really should edit your post once you get to a desktop or laptop because it's an unreadable wall of text.  I doubt any (very busy) devs would take the time to hash through all of that in its current state.  I only read the first paragraph:

Are you playing it against AI only or are you playing it in online multiplayer against human opponents?  If you only play it against AI, then of course it could get boring.  Step up to playing against human opponents over Ironclad Online you'll find that it can still be a challenging game.

March 23, 2011 1:51:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Most of what players suggest, like dedicated supply ships, is one of three things: pointless duplication of features already better implemented by the game, entirely unworkable in the existing engine, or needlessly OCD and micro heavy detail.

I put a list of suggestions up, and I know for a fact three are either accidental duplications of existing systems or dumber than dirt. Shit happens. So now I'm going to brutalize your suggestions, in the hope that you'll pick up on the difference between MORE MORE MORE of the same, and a suggestion that actually adds new tools to the player's belt or removes an existing annoyance.

First off, I have read about the idea of supply lines for ships. I didn't agree with the idea entirely, but to some degree I do. There shouldn't be supply ships that constantly have to refuel and replenish ammo, but maybe antimatter ships that could refill antimatter. The big place this could fit in would be repairs. When a ship is being repaired at the repair bay, the bay itself is using up it's antimatter to rebuild the battered ship's hull. But if there were antimatter ships roaming the galaxy from dedicated facilities, they could replenish the bay's supply and repair the ship faster.      This brings me to another thing: dry docking ships to a repair station. We all know that after a long engagement with the enemy, it takes forever to get a ship back to full health. But what if you manage to get the ship out to one of your planets, only to have an enemy fleet jump in after it? It's doomed. But--if you had a dedicated repair station to house the vessel for a minute or two, it would be back in ship shape (no pun intended) for the next fight. 

Dry docking already exists in the form of repair platforms. You huddle your ships near it, and bam they are repaired. This feature would be needless duplication.

Supply lines for ships already exist; what do you think you're doing when you lose ships and have to replace them? Or do you often dive straight through a well protected enemy system with your entire fleet? Micro for micro's sake is inane. 

Antimatter refill needs to be handled very carefully, because it is one of the main balancing mechanisms in the game. It'd make some ships a little weaker, and some ships way more powerful than they need to be. Personally I think this is not the way to go. Also means adding ships that duplicate existing capabilities inherent in all ships; they'd have to be game breakingly good or they'd be ignored, since they're eating valuable resources that could be spent on more combat ships. 

Making ships invincible for a period of time while they repair is a terrible idea. It's like you're suggesting that a beaten fleet shouldn't be at a disadvantage if the enemy comes in for a retaliatory strike. 

The weakness here would be that the repair bays must be supplied by a third party delivery of antimatter to function, not like the bay I mentioned above. 

Pointless and irritating micro.

Another new idea I read was the concept of ship carrying vessels. I love that idea! Imagine an immense ship capable of carrying 30 or so frigates or 5-10 cap ships. They would be completely unarmed but heavily armored. That would be such an epic sight. Of course it would be kind of impractical, but it could serve a role. Maybe they can't phase jump. But maybe they can, and are really, really, REALLY slow and must come to a complete stop to unload the ships one at a time

/*sarcasm

How about instead we have a giant ship that carries ships much smaller than the current ships, but numerous and self replacing! And they can't jump, which is why they'd need something to carry them from system to system! Wouldn't that be AWESOME?! We could call it a CARRIER!

sarcasm */

In other words, already in the game and implemented in a manner that both makes sense and adds value. Unless you really think it's intelligent to blow a whole ton of cash on a ship that is incredibly slow, carries things that can move on their own, and can't attack. And if you do, I'd be happy to sell you some artificial legs that you can wear instead of your current legs, made of cement. For only a billion dollars.

I  got a kick out of the no-phase ability -- because it is vital to have a giant blob to carry things from one side of a grav well to another slower than ships could move on their own. It'd be like getting in a taxi that moved slower than you walked! 

obile "planets" so to speak. They get a tax income bonus and damage increase for nearby ships and static defenses.       The catch of all these special abilities is that they require a lot of antimatter to function. In order for the abilities to be used effectively, an antimatter ship could resupply it, or you could simply wait for the antimatter to refill itself, which takes a ton of time that you probably don't have. On the other hand, the Titans would have a huge pool of antimatter to use, maybe 500 to 1000 at max. But each resupply craft would only carry 50 at first, up to 200 with research, so it would take time to fill back up.

Nothing says fun like waiting decades for an antimatter pool to refill. How about weaker abilities that actually provide value, rather than a ship that blows its load all at once and then sits there, purposeless, for the rest of the game?

/*tangent

I especially dislike the idea of having ships whose only purpose is to duplicate what existing ships already do! We do not need new ships that generate anti-matter for ships unless Stardock for whatever reason decides to disable anti-matter regeneration in favor of brittle fleets that cannot jump without an AM tanker. 

Which could be fun IF IT WERE OPTIONAL. Then Joe could play Classic mode, where you can jump whenever, and Jane could run the risk of her fleet being trapped after the enemy inevitably FFs her tanker down in the first five seconds of battle.

I'd rather have the pro-active PJI ship (adding new capabilities) than the reactive tanker (removing existing capabilities in favor of more micro), myself, but some players want that. Anyway it'd be handy for making a hard sci-fi mod, which I would love to do. 

tangent */

If they put even half of it in a game or expansion, it would be a hell of a game, and something we all would probably love and play for years to come. /rant

If they put even half of that into the game, I'd never buy it!

March 23, 2011 2:42:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Aeon221,

Maybe if you had actually read that last paragraph you would have read this-

"There's also a lot of ideas that the community wants, such as new planet types, new ships, more customization, planet weapons, invasions, ground combat, and so much more. I just listed some of the things that appeal to me the most, but there's a ton more. I posted this in hope that the developers would consider these ideas, along with all the other great ones here on the Sins forums, because there's some great stuff here. If they put even half of it in a game or expansion, it would be a hell of a game, and something we all would probably love and play for years to come."

I didn't mean just my specific ideas, but all the great ones here on the Sins forums. I'm sure you have some ideas that people might not agree with, and so do many other people. And the reason I posted my ideas here was to see if anyone thought the same or if they were good, but now I see that they're not, I guess. That's the point of criticism.

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

You really should edit your post once you get to a desktop or laptop because it's an unreadable wall of text.  I doubt any (very busy) devs would take the time to hash through all of that in its current state.  I only read the first paragraph:

Are you playing it against AI only or are you playing it in online multiplayer against human opponents?  If you only play it against AI, then of course it could get boring.  Step up to playing against human opponents over Ironclad Online you'll find that it can still be a challenging game.

I used to play online a lot, back when more then 30 people were online at a time. I kind of hate it now...maybe because I'm not as good as I'd like to be/used to be, but I digress. Yes, ever since I got back on Sins I've been playing the AI, and haven't finished a game because it got so tedious.

Quoting Sinperium,

I fixed it. Just like I said I would. Calm down.

Quoting gsitetfs,
I think the paragraph above can bring out latent obsessive-compulsive tendencies.. after reading a couple of lines, my eyes kind of focussed back and took in the whole text, and then I started counting the small round holes in the wall of text, he he.

Those were supposed to be where the indents were...  

March 23, 2011 3:02:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What I mean by this is that the devs need to start listening to us players more, and opening their eyes to some of the great ideas we all have.

Perhaps you should try some mods if Sins is getting boring, because I can't see anyone agreeing with that statement unless all they played was vanilla.

And you do realize the Sins devs have done more community requests than most other games right? Especially when most of the ideas you mentioned are not unanimously supported. Overall I've think the Devs have done a good job at picking out the good ideas from the community (or themselves) that are realistic and add depth to the game instead of mere complications.

March 23, 2011 3:46:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very few ideas are actually great. In truth, the majority of them are horrendously terrible and do not fit with the game at all.

And you know why? For the most part, the players/community goes "Wouldn't it be cool?" without actually thinking if it makes sense or what the effect on the game would be.

On the other hand, the devs think "What would be cool, but actually make sense and be fun?", which happens to be the correct way of thinking about it.

But the vast majority of community suggestions are so poorly thought through that they aren't even worth considering.

March 23, 2011 3:57:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Perhaps you should try some mods if Sins is getting boring, because I can't see anyone agreeing with that statement unless all they played was vanilla.

And you do realize the Sins devs have done more community requests than most other games right? Especially when most of the ideas you mentioned are not unanimously supported. Overall I've think the Devs have done a good job at picking out the good ideas from the community (or themselves) that are realistic and add depth to the game instead of mere complications.

As a matter of fact, I have played some of the mods, Distant Stars and Sins of a Galactic Empire.  I actually just downloaded Sins of the Fallen, and will start up a game as soon as I post this.

Yes, the Sins devs have done a lot for us players, I'm not saying they didn't. But some things, like more planet types, should become a standard at some point. Have you played Distant Stars? If you did then you've seen the large ammount of planet types. Hopefully the devs will take the idea and use it at some point, if not Rebellion then Sins the sequel.

Quoting Annatar11,

Very few ideas are actually great. In truth, the majority of them are horrendously terrible and do not fit with the game at all.

And you know why? For the most part, the players/community goes "Wouldn't it be cool?" without actually thinking if it makes sense or what the effect on the game would be.

On the other hand, the devs think "What would be cool, but actually make sense and be fun?", which happens to be the correct way of thinking about it.

But the vast majority of community suggestions are so poorly thought through that they aren't even worth considering.

I guess you're right in that aspect. But look at some of the true great concepts people have thought up that have yet to be included. I'm sure you have ideas, and I'm sure the next guy does too. But like you said before, most ideas aren't as good as we think they are. I have to admit, the ship carrying ship was a tad stupid, but it sounded good at the time of the post!    [e digicons]'[/e]

March 23, 2011 4:04:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting 1Tiberius1,
The problem with supply ships is that they would bog down the memory and processing power needed to run the game.  Antimatter loss during jumps simulates travel without replenishing supplies.  It probably wasn't intended that way, but you can conceptualize it along those terms.  Also, upkeep percentages associated with fleet supply represent your empire spending the extra resources to keep the ships supplied for combat.  Too much supply will bankrupt you just like the Soviet Union. 

On the idea of dry docking for fast repairs, it is a nice thought.  But, aside from the Vasari, the repair process seems quick enough already.  The Advent repair 300 hull in 10 seconds, and the TEC can repair up to 600 hull in 10 seconds if they have Hoshis helping the structures.  If capital ships often have 3,000 to 5,000 health during their lifespan, they'll get repaired in two minutes or less in most cases.  See also the processing and memory issue. The game already has a lag spike when starbases are deployed, and used to crash when the Evacuator spawned several construction frigates at once. 

On the idea of ships carrying ships, my random guess is that you could see such a feature from the TEC Titan in Rebellion.  Their starbase can do it(or at least function like a factory), and the TEC is known for rapidly spewing out huge fleets of cheaply constructed ships(e.g. Kodiaks in 10 seconds under the right circumstances).  My other Titan ideas, wherever the thread is right now, was that the Vasari Titan would have a sort of Phase Stabilization Calculator on board that lets it jump to a location two phase lanes away as if there were stabilizer nodes on both ends(the game already calculates number of jumps to determine allegiance, so it uses extant variables).  It would thus be faster, and would likely need to be a bit weaker to make up for that.  The Advent idea I had was predictably similar, lots of strikecraft and mobile culture generation.  Advent do love their shield mitigation after all. 

I forgot to thank you for not bashing my ideas like most others, and actually providing constructive critisism. +1

March 23, 2011 5:08:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Perhaps, Nolan, just maybe, people didn't provide constructive criticism because:

NONE OF THE IDEAS THAT APPEAL TO YOU ARE GOOD.

I mean, it's a remote possibility, but maybe it's the reason /sarcasm.

March 23, 2011 5:20:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You are aware, of course, that the devs are not going to listen to a word we have to say about suggestions for the game?

March 23, 2011 5:21:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll still hold out for the possibility of the TEC Titan functioning like a mobile factory and spitting out ships.  If nothing else, it adds that little extra touch of Homeworld. 

We still have the corvettes to consider as well.  How exactly will they be implemented?  Are they partway between the scout and light assault frigates?  Will they function as a new class of strikecraft?  Will they spawn from carriers and/or capital ships, or have a new ship?

Reading the line revealed about Titans again, I'm thinking that for the sake of gameplay, that they are going to be high tier tech costing several times the cost to deploy than a starbase.  Their description seems to suggest that they have strength on par with a 2 offense/3 defense starbase(wiping out an entire fleet if they go toe to toe).  But I'm also hoping they each have special Titan-only capabilities.  Those wouldn't necessarily have to be entirely new.  People already speculate that the TEC Titan might have some sort of modified Novalith strapped to the front of it. 

Now I remember how long we have to wait for a beta...

March 23, 2011 5:48:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I feel your pain, dude.

March 23, 2011 6:28:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Relax and wait a bit and I'll give you 214 planets, 37 stars, and moons. Patience... Will that be enough planets for you?

March 23, 2011 7:22:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting JA_394,
You are aware, of course, that the devs are not going to listen to a word we have to say about suggestions for the game?

Not true. The devs actually had an SD employee put up a suggestion thread on things that have needed fixing since Diplomacy's release.

Quoting NovaCameron,
Relax and wait a bit and I'll give you 214 planets, 37 stars, and moons. Patience... Will that be enough planets for you?

I fail to see what this has to do with the topic at hand.

March 23, 2011 7:35:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

yo dude your ideas sounded even stupider than mine! some of them were inspired though, but they sound like some sins sequel that ill never be able to play because ill never get the money for a better computer. And a sequel will require a better computer no doubt.

So what about, not a campaign really, but a preset skirmish where you fight as one of the three empires, with resources and players positioned according to what the storyline would demand. Advent could appear close to your planet, Naeve (I think) and you would have maybe 3 other planets given to you to simulate the TEC already taking action. Anyone thought of game types that give your empire more umph from the start? like giving you a starting tech level, or set amount of starting planets? wat do you think? you should go read my post (even though my post was perhaps unnescesary) because I dont feel like pasing it to another post for the third time. it is called What do you want to see in Rebellion.

And how did that jerk up there get so much karma?

March 23, 2011 7:39:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Aeon221,
Most of what players suggest, like dedicated supply ships, is one of three things: pointless duplication of features already better implemented by the game, entirely unworkable in the existing engine, or needlessly OCD and micro heavy detail.

I put a list of suggestions up, and I know for a fact three are either accidental duplications of existing systems or dumber than dirt. Shit happens. So now I'm going to brutalize your suggestions, in the hope that you'll pick up on the difference between MORE MORE MORE of the same, and a suggestion that actually adds new tools to the player's belt or removes an existing annoyance.

First off, I have read about the idea of supply lines for ships. I didn't agree with the idea entirely, but to some degree I do. There shouldn't be supply ships that constantly have to refuel and replenish ammo, but maybe antimatter ships that could refill antimatter. The big place this could fit in would be repairs. When a ship is being repaired at the repair bay, the bay itself is using up it's antimatter to rebuild the battered ship's hull. But if there were antimatter ships roaming the galaxy from dedicated facilities, they could replenish the bay's supply and repair the ship faster.      This brings me to another thing: dry docking ships to a repair station. We all know that after a long engagement with the enemy, it takes forever to get a ship back to full health. But what if you manage to get the ship out to one of your planets, only to have an enemy fleet jump in after it? It's doomed. But--if you had a dedicated repair station to house the vessel for a minute or two, it would be back in ship shape (no pun intended) for the next fight. 

Dry docking already exists in the form of repair platforms. You huddle your ships near it, and bam they are repaired. This feature would be needless duplication.

Supply lines for ships already exist; what do you think you're doing when you lose ships and have to replace them? Or do you often dive straight through a well protected enemy system with your entire fleet? Micro for micro's sake is inane. 

Antimatter refill needs to be handled very carefully, because it is one of the main balancing mechanisms in the game. It'd make some ships a little weaker, and some ships way more powerful than they need to be. Personally I think this is not the way to go. Also means adding ships that duplicate existing capabilities inherent in all ships; they'd have to be game breakingly good or they'd be ignored, since they're eating valuable resources that could be spent on more combat ships. 

Making ships invincible for a period of time while they repair is a terrible idea. It's like you're suggesting that a beaten fleet shouldn't be at a disadvantage if the enemy comes in for a retaliatory strike. 

The weakness here would be that the repair bays must be supplied by a third party delivery of antimatter to function, not like the bay I mentioned above. 

Pointless and irritating micro.

Another new idea I read was the concept of ship carrying vessels. I love that idea! Imagine an immense ship capable of carrying 30 or so frigates or 5-10 cap ships. They would be completely unarmed but heavily armored. That would be such an epic sight. Of course it would be kind of impractical, but it could serve a role. Maybe they can't phase jump. But maybe they can, and are really, really, REALLY slow and must come to a complete stop to unload the ships one at a time

/*sarcasm

How about instead we have a giant ship that carries ships much smaller than the current ships, but numerous and self replacing! And they can't jump, which is why they'd need something to carry them from system to system! Wouldn't that be AWESOME?! We could call it a CARRIER!

sarcasm */

In other words, already in the game and implemented in a manner that both makes sense and adds value. Unless you really think it's intelligent to blow a whole ton of cash on a ship that is incredibly slow, carries things that can move on their own, and can't attack. And if you do, I'd be happy to sell you some artificial legs that you can wear instead of your current legs, made of cement. For only a billion dollars.

I  got a kick out of the no-phase ability -- because it is vital to have a giant blob to carry things from one side of a grav well to another slower than ships could move on their own. It'd be like getting in a taxi that moved slower than you walked! 

obile "planets" so to speak. They get a tax income bonus and damage increase for nearby ships and static defenses.       The catch of all these special abilities is that they require a lot of antimatter to function. In order for the abilities to be used effectively, an antimatter ship could resupply it, or you could simply wait for the antimatter to refill itself, which takes a ton of time that you probably don't have. On the other hand, the Titans would have a huge pool of antimatter to use, maybe 500 to 1000 at max. But each resupply craft would only carry 50 at first, up to 200 with research, so it would take time to fill back up.

Nothing says fun like waiting decades for an antimatter pool to refill. How about weaker abilities that actually provide value, rather than a ship that blows its load all at once and then sits there, purposeless, for the rest of the game?

/*tangent

I especially dislike the idea of having ships whose only purpose is to duplicate what existing ships already do! We do not need new ships that generate anti-matter for ships unless Stardock for whatever reason decides to disable anti-matter regeneration in favor of brittle fleets that cannot jump without an AM tanker. 

Which could be fun IF IT WERE OPTIONAL. Then Joe could play Classic mode, where you can jump whenever, and Jane could run the risk of her fleet being trapped after the enemy inevitably FFs her tanker down in the first five seconds of battle.

I'd rather have the pro-active PJI ship (adding new capabilities) than the reactive tanker (removing existing capabilities in favor of more micro), myself, but some players want that. Anyway it'd be handy for making a hard sci-fi mod, which I would love to do. 

tangent */

If they put even half of it in a game or expansion, it would be a hell of a game, and something we all would probably love and play for years to come. /rant

your sir, are an ass. I did not read even HALF of your crap ( but obviously the end ) I cant believe you took the time. though i would agree with your logic slightly, but you QUOTED so much I didnt even bother to read. Now im going to quote your reply for absolutely NO REASON, other than to TAKE UP ALOT OF ROOM.

March 23, 2011 7:42:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting shooter23843,
And how did that jerk up there get so much karma?

Which jerk?

Quoting shooter23843,
So what about, not a campaign really, but a preset skirmish where you fight as one of the three empires, with resources and players positioned according to what the storyline would demand. Advent could appear close to your planet, Naeve (I think) and you would have maybe 3 other planets given to you to simulate the TEC already taking action. Anyone thought of game types that give your empire more umph from the start? like giving you a starting tech level, or set amount of starting planets? wat do you think? you should go read my post (even though my post was perhaps unnescesary) because I dont feel like pasing it to another post for the third time. it is called What do you want to see in Rebellion.

I actually posted this already on one of the devs request/wish list threads. Not sure if it will happen though because that would be cool.

The starting tech level that is. The others are currently doable but difficult to pull off.

March 23, 2011 7:45:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

wait a minute... whose going to supply the suppliers... suddenly it sounds like a bad idea

I will point out, that the ship carrying carrier was a bad idea (though you admitted it) and the antimatter ships.

March 23, 2011 7:58:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, I know the ship carrier was really dumb. Keep in mid that I didn't come up with most of these ideas myself.

Read this post-http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/406353

On that page, there's the supply line and carrier vessel concept. Two worst ideas I mention

The ones I came up with were what I thought Titans might be like, the idea of weapons on strikecraft carriers, and the large repair bays.

March 23, 2011 8:29:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,
Perhaps, Nolan, just maybe, people didn't provide constructive criticism because:

NONE OF THE IDEAS THAT APPEAL TO YOU ARE GOOD.

I mean, it's a remote possibility, but maybe it's the reason /sarcasm.

There's also the remote possibility that you're a fucking dick

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time: