Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+210

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs43/i/2009/115/7/0/cosmonaut_by_himnotep.jpg

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

Vanilla Syntax

Entrenchment Syntax 

Diplomacy Syntax

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

Eclipse Definitions Wiki

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Filefactory

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

MyFist0's Mega Modding Site

2448 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 13, 2011 5:59:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

An attempt to answer your question Sinperium.

For all of the "caster" abilities attempt to change:

numOwnerships 0

To:

numOwnerships 1
ownership "Enemy"

This should make the ability/black hole target all the enemies of the owner, while not harming the owner. If my understanding is correct, setting numOwnerships to 0 effectively makes the ability target everything that is in range. Hope this helps.

April 14, 2011 1:24:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
I changed logistics values on the Phase, Psi and tech culture centers in my mod to require only one slot yet they seem not to work,  Any solutions?

I'm answering my own question here in case it's a benefit to someone.  The mod files were apparently corrupted during one of my installs/uninstalls.  That's the first time it's happened to me.  My solution was to get a clean copy of the Diplomacy (my mod is for this) entity files (which is all I edited) and compare them.  Some lines were completely missing from some of the files and others had additional lines.

I overwrote the corrupted mod files with the original game ones and just re-edited them.  Problem solved--the culture centers now require only one logistic slot and work as intended.

April 14, 2011 1:26:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
An attempt to answer your question Sinperium.
numOwnerships 0
To:
numOwnerships 1
ownership "Enemy"

This should make the ability/black hole target all the enemies of the owner, while not harming the owner. If my understanding is correct, setting numOwnerships to 0 effectively makes the ability target everything that is in range. Hope this helps.

This was a helpful answer as I did not know this but I am still testing.  Thanks.

April 14, 2011 8:44:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
  1. Can a buff target structures anywhere in the galaxy? if not, can a buff target planets (similar to psi ability) to target structures owned by you?
  2. Can a buff wait for a sub-buff to complete? I know sub-buffs can wait for the parent buff to complete, but I haven't tried the opposite.

1. Might be totally off here, but if you could make the building a unique one, say an un-buildable structure that takes up 0 log. slots, and get the ability to always target the planet this structure is at, it could theoretically work. Though once again, I know jack when it comes to abilities and buffs, so I might be totally off.
  2. If my understanding is correct, you'd need to use some sort of FirstSpawnerNoLongerHasBuff finish condition to get this to work. The question is if this would work or not as the "main" buff is the first spawner, OR, the game doesn't differentiate between buffs, and the FirstSpawnerNoLHB will do the trick. 
April 14, 2011 8:58:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
So two questions:

1. Can a buff target structures anywhere in the galaxy? if not, can a buff target planets (similar to psi ability) to target structures owned by you?
 2. Can a buff wait for a sub-buff to complete? I know sub-buffs can wait for the parent buff to complete, but I haven't tried the opposite.

1. The Ability, "AbilityTechOrbitalCannon" can target planets anywhere in the galaxy. It's limited to planets, but that could be changed by changing the number of objects to two, and including "PlanetModule" as one of the objects. That should allow your ability and buff to target both planets and structures.

2. I don't have an answer for this one, so I won't even speculate.

April 14, 2011 9:17:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

1. You can most certainly make an ability target a planet then effect all structures owned by you (very similar to the Kostura). Targeting individual structures on different planets probably not.

2. I really don't know, couldn't you just switch the child and parent around and get the same effect? Need more specifics on this one.

April 14, 2011 10:18:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

ZombiesRus5 1. Can a buff target structures anywhere in the galaxy? if not, can a buff target planets (similar to psi ability) to target structures owned by you?
1. You can most certainly make an ability target a planet then effect all structures owned by you (very similar to the Kostura). Targeting individual structures on different planets probably not.

2. I really don't know, couldn't you just switch the child and parent around and get the same effect? Need more specifics on this one.

Sorry, I was willing to try this disjointed thread... But I don't think it will work. You'd have to go back to the ask a question thread. This one pertains to Ryat wanting a way to limit a race to one and only one flagship but allowing a new one to be built should the original die.

Edit- I finally had a chance to look at the buff possibilities and I don't see a way to target the right planet or structure so this most likely wouldn't work anyway.

April 15, 2011 12:14:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ryat,
I am working on creating a way to force the game to build only one ship of a certain type (aka a Flagship) at a time. I am currently working the direction of using Fleet Beacon and am attempting to find some way to make it only active if there is no Flagship alive.

Ok, I have an ability on my Nephilim Battleship called Immortality, basically the idea is once researched it will raise from the dead if killed. Well long story short I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted back then and never really came back to it until today (plus someone complained on moddb ) . It turns out the trick was to use the requiredShip versus the randomShip setting. Huzzah!

You could use this approach as the passive fifth ability on your flagships such that when a flagship is killed you automatically get a new one. This would of course ensure you only have one, but it does also mean you will always have one.

Either way I'm happy to have this working right for me.

April 15, 2011 12:56:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have 2 small questions:

1) I know how to make grav wells take more than one starbase, but is it possible to have it set so they have to be different ones? i.e. I provide 2 different starbases in my mod, I don't want to have 2 of the same built in a grav well.

2) Where is the tech tree/ diplomacy background located (folder/name)? I've accidentally incorporated the Star Wars Requiem background and now I cannot find it to get rid of it.

thanks!

April 15, 2011 1:08:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
Ok, I have an ability on my Nephilim Battleship called Immortality, basically the idea is once researched it will raise from the dead if killed.

ZombieRus makes a Zombie capitalship. Hmm...

Quoting EviliroN,
I have 2 small questions:

1) I know how to make grav wells take more than one starbase, but is it possible to have it set so they have to be different ones? i.e. I provide 2 different starbases in my mod, I don't want to have 2 of the same built in a grav well.

2) Where is the tech tree/ diplomacy background located (folder/name)? I've accidentally incorporated the Star Wars Requiem background and now I cannot find it to get rid of it.

thanks!

1. Impossible I'm afraid.

2. BackdropInGame and BackdropFrontEnd in the textures folder.

April 17, 2011 7:46:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

From IskatuMesk

Question 1

I want to remove Influence entirely. I guess the easiest way to do this would be to remove the distance-based influence loss on planets and then all related modifiers. I'm not sure where the best place to start this would be.

Answer: Not able to remove entirely. It is hardcoded. Can reduce to minimal influence by use of Gameplay.constants file.

Question 2

I think part of this is contained in researches but I'm not sure. I want to entirely remove fleet upkeep and change the supply caps to something like 200+20 per research or somesuch.

Answer: You actually control fleet upkeep per individual ship. Capital ships will always cost one Capital ship point though.
            basePrice
            credits 550.000000
            metal 70.000000
            crystal 10.000000
            slotCount 12.000000 <---- upkeep control for each ship at their respective entity file.

The files you are looking for for the supply caps is found under these file headings.
            RESEARCHSUBJECT_MAXCAPITALSHIPS
            RESEARCHSUBJECT_MAXSHIPSLOTS
            Look for these headings and I am sure you can handle the rest.

Question 3

Having zero experience in ability editing, is it possible to create a channeled beam ability that steals life from a target enemy ship?

Answer: Yes, see Vulkoras' Ultimate Ability Disintegration for an example.

April 17, 2011 8:44:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To add on to Ryat's response to IskatuMesk:

Question 1:

While influence is hardcoded, it can be made pointless. As Ryat noted, via changes in Gameplay.constants. Here's what I believe would do the trick:

allegiancePassiveGainRate 0.000
        allegiancePassiveLossRate 0.000
        allegianceFriendlyMaxGainRate 0.000
        allegianceEnemyMaxLossRate 0.000
        allegianceGainFromCultureMax 0.0

This in essence makes culture spread not hurt planets at all, while ensuring that culture can still be used, albeit for other uses (such as additional antimatter regen).

planetBaseAllegianceAtDistanceCount 1
        allegiance 1.00

This forces all planets to have 100% allegiance.

Question 2:

To remove fleet upkeep costs entirely requires editing the supply count/slot research files, as Ryat mentioned, like so:

researchModifier
    modifierType "IncomePercLost"
    baseValue 0.000000
    perLevelValue 0.000000

April 18, 2011 4:19:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ryat,
From IskatuMesk
            slotCount 12.000000 <---- upkeep control for each ship at their respective entity file.

Actually that's the supply/cap cost (right?), the Upkeep I was referring to was the income reduction from increasing the cap, but Lavo caught that one it seems. Thanks to you both!

April 18, 2011 10:14:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
numOwnerships 0
To:
numOwnerships 1
ownership "Enemy"

You are correct Lavo, by editing the Distant Stars entity "caster" files the black hole does not affect the planet owner's forces and then you just change (in Distant Stars) the black hole's entity file value under "is colonizable" to "TRUE". 

I set up a test map and watched my little constructor float happily by the singularity.  it's beautiful man...sniff..beautiful.

That was ridiculously easy.

Lavo and his family will be spared in the great galactic purge.

April 19, 2011 10:43:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've updated the "TOS" for this thread and questions and answers can be posted here now.  Please follow the spirit of the guidelines so we have a usable forum resource for modders here.

This has already been a success in my own mind as I have received an answer to which no one had answered in months and several others have gotten advanced help.

Your modding questions can be complex ones--modder to modder--this is a resource for all levels of modding.  It also isn't "my thread".  I fully hope it will be developed and carried by the quality of the people who participate in providing resources in it.

Along that line I will be placing links to modding sites/utilities and the like (such as those provided by Harpo, ZombieRus, MyFist0, etc.) in the opening post.  Stay tuned as I go through them.

I am pondering a creative reward for those contributing and I have one in mind but it will require some organizing and development before I can announce it.  For now, karma is the quickest reward and please give karma to those providing you help.  My prize I'm working on won't be karma...it's more tangible.

Thanks for those who have already helped.  Totally awesome.

April 19, 2011 9:08:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is any way to make some update like PSIDAR updates, but that work limited by range, instead of working being limited by number phase jumps?

April 19, 2011 9:30:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting exdeathbr,
There is any way to make some update like PSIDAR updates, but that work limited by range, instead of working being limited by number phase jumps?

I do not think so... even if there was, I don't think you would want to do that, as the range between planets can vary quite a bit depending on the map.

April 20, 2011 11:52:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does "range" (outside of number of jumps) exist beyond a star's gravity well?

April 20, 2011 1:05:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I got the Forge Tools 3 pack earlier today, and set about changing the capital ship stats and some of the abilities. All I did was change a few numbers, saved it into a GameInfo folder, and placed it in the proper Mod directory. I ran the game, found it right where i put it, and enabled the mod. entered the game, and nothing changed. i thought that maybe i could force the game to use the mod, and after backing up the main GameInfo folder, i pasted my mod .entity files into it and overwrote the original ones. that got me a mini-dump as soon as I opened the game. Can anyone help me get the mod working on the game?

April 20, 2011 1:21:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Does "range" (outside of number of jumps) exist beyond a star's gravity well?

Well it physically exists (its how the game renders several planets on screen at once, and how frigates can attempt to go to different planets without engaging phase drives), though you can't use it to apply buffs on other gravity wells for example. PSIDAR seems to operate beyond gravity wells though, and as I haven't messed with those techs/abilities all I can say is that its probably not possible and it won't be practical even if you get it to work.

April 20, 2011 2:55:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah--an interesting concept using actual range outside a gravity well but I suspect it doesn't apply to everything.

April 26, 2011 9:46:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i've got a little problem. i'm trying to mod diplomacy v1.2, and i have good reference files. here's the debug.txt:

Text FileArchive missing Label.
...\CAPITALSHIP_TECHSIEGE.entity
Label: m_weaponIndexForRange
Line Number:212
Line Contents:

and here's the actual file, the problem being in red:

muzzleSounds
soundCount 3
sound "WEAPON_TECHCAPITALAUTOCANNONHeavy_MUZZLE"
sound "WEAPON_TECHCAPITALAUTOCANNONHeavy_MUZZLE_ALT1"
sound "WEAPON_TECHCAPITALAUTOCANNONHeavy_MUZZLE_ALT2"
hitEffectName "Weapon_TechCapitalAutoCannonHeavy_Hit"
hitHullEffectSounds
soundCount 1
sound "WEAPONIMPACT_PHYSICALHeavy_HITHULL"
hitShieldsEffectSounds
soundCount 1
sound "WEAPONIMPACT_GENERICHeavy_HITSHIELDS"
projectileTravelEffectName "Weapon_TechCapitalAutoCannonHeavy_Travel"
m_weaponIndexForRange 0
firingAlignmentType "Default"
TargetCountPerBank:FRONT 1
TargetCountPerBank:BACK 0
TargetCountPerBank:LEFT 1
TargetCountPerBank:RIGHT 1
canOnlyTargetStructures FALSE

what exactly is the problem with this? can anyone help me?

April 26, 2011 10:07:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For future reference, this is where you ask questions. Now to answer your question, that sort of error usually indicates that there's a line of code missing. In order to properly analyze this thing, go to line 212 and see if m_weaponIndexForRange is actually there. If not, it means you likely deleted a line or something, if yes, then I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with it, as iirc 0 is the standard value for ships. 

April 26, 2011 10:14:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For future reference, this is where you ask questions.

Nah, the dual thread thing was a bit much. Just keep the questions and answers concise. If you want a conversation ask a question link to the thread for a conversation please.

This is the place to ask and recieve specifc modding questions and answers. If you have a modding question, post it here.

what exactly is the problem with this? can anyone help me?

hard to see just with this snippet. Can you give the whole file. Use http://pastebin.com/ please and it will keep the post small. Or like above start a thread so we can ask questions and make sure to edit the answer back in if it's not provided here.

@Sinperium can you add a link about using pastebin or dropbox to share full files without littering the post. It's very hard to troubleshoot issues with vague descriptions or code snippets.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000844   Page Render Time: