Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2668 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 10, 2015 1:57:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

It's also a pain to do with more than one "Choice". Which faction you are, which titan you get are fine, but its a lot of work to start making branching choices.

I know which is why I need to consult before embarking on potentially a long path. It comes down to is the juice worth the squeeze. We have already specified Psi for the Elder races and have engrained that in numerous abilities. The particulars of how this is implemented race by race will matter quite a bit as I foresee having to complete the entire effort before testing for completeness.  

April 11, 2015 9:10:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Having a passive ability on the ships/structures/etc of a given race that applies PhaseDodge to them is another neat way to have a race-specific constraint.

April 20, 2015 12:05:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there any way to add a constraint to a researchModifier? I want to add something similar to Mass Transcendence for all of the factions, but I want the TEC Loyalist's to be at half the rate (maybe even a quarter), and only while in friendly gravity wells. 

I know the base modifier for this is ExperienceConstantGainRate, but is there a way to add a constraint so that it only works while in friendly gravity wells?

April 20, 2015 4:28:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Portalboat,
I know the base modifier for this is ExperienceConstantGainRate, but is there a way to add a constraint so that it only works while in friendly gravity wells?

This is not possible. Closest you can do is increase the amount of XP you get per kill in friendly gravity wells via ExperienceAwardedAdjustmentWhenInFriendlyGravityWell.

April 20, 2015 9:47:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So there's no way to make capital ships gain experience other than direct combat or through ExperienceConstantGainRate research. No kinds of buffs or anything like that. 

April 20, 2015 9:57:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Portalboat,

So there's no way to make capital ships gain experience other than direct combat or through ExperienceConstantGainRate research. No kinds of buffs or anything like that. 

Not unless you count buying capitalship levels.

April 20, 2015 10:39:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Getting this error after I added a whole bunch of research to a race. Error pops up ONLY if my mouse pointer goes over a research subject. 

Assert @ D:\projects\SINS\SinsRebellion\main\CodeSource\Engine/DataStructures/FixedVector.h(139)

i < m_CurrentSize

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

April 21, 2015 4:56:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't remember what's what in the research errors, but that should be a numerical mismatch, so it's probably either level count or tier issues.  Check for research with mismatched tier numbers, or a prerequisite level that doesn't exist.

May 12, 2015 11:49:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here's a strange problem I'm just curious if anyone else has had.

While building the race selection window for one of my factions, adding a particular research to the faction specific research section causes an immediate crash when trying to view that faction's window. This tech is a little weird (if gives a bonus to the Designate Homeworld planet upgrade), but it works perfectly fine in game if its not in the faction select screen. No error messages of any kind.

June 1, 2015 11:34:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Need a bit of help finding something.

I have the reference files for Rebellion 1.82, and need to know what the reference file for Shield Bestowal ( The Advent shield hanger buff thingy. ) is called, as I can't seem to figure it out from the names, and Google isn't helping much.

June 1, 2015 11:45:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The way you find an ability is by following the trail.  You'd look in PLANETMODULE_PSIORBITALHANGARDEFENSE, and see that it references one ability at the top, AbilityGiveModuleShields.

Player files give lists of ships, structures, research, and you run the tree down from there to see what's got what.

June 1, 2015 12:07:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting psychoak,

The way you find an ability is by following the trail.  You'd look in PLANETMODULE_PSIORBITALHANGARDEFENSE, and see that it references one ability at the top, AbilityGiveModuleShields.

Player files give lists of ships, structures, research, and you run the tree down from there to see what's got what.

Thank you.  That is very useful.  Here, take my like.

June 7, 2015 4:02:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello,

I have a very easy question to solve, but I just couldnt find an answer to it ...

How do I add a ship to a faction, lets say Tech Rebels?

What Ive tried so far is creating a new Ship Entity file by cloning one and renaming it. E.g. TECHBATTLESHIP -> TECHBATTLESHIP2 and editing the new file. Adding a new file though always ends in a crash when I start Sins. Ive also added the entity name to the PlayerTechRebel file in the CapitialShip part and added to the counter.

Simply adding a ship from another faction (with an existing Entity file to it) works flawlessly, I just cant research it of course.

Are there more files I have to pay attention to?

June 7, 2015 4:39:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Solaknir,

Hello,

I have a very easy question to solve, but I just couldnt find an answer to it ...

How do I add a ship to a faction, lets say Tech Rebels?

What Ive tried so far is creating a new Ship Entity file by cloning one and renaming it. E.g. TECHBATTLESHIP -> TECHBATTLESHIP2 and editing the new file. Adding a new file though always ends in a crash when I start Sins. Ive also added the entity name to the PlayerTechRebel file in the CapitialShip part and added to the counter.

Simply adding a ship from another faction (with an existing Entity file to it) works flawlessly, I just cant research it of course.

Are there more files I have to pay attention to?

You need to add any new entity files to the entity.manifest and increase the count at the top of the file.

June 7, 2015 5:26:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the fast answer

I assume I have to create the entity.manifest myself? Ive just stumbled across the Eclipse Plugin and will have a look into it. Otherwise I havent seen the manifest yet and a quick search didnt really help. SoaSE modding seems a bit more complicated than what Im used too ^^

June 7, 2015 5:57:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Solaknir,

Thanks for the fast answer

I assume I have to create the entity.manifest myself? Ive just stumbled across the Eclipse Plugin and will have a look into it. Otherwise I havent seen the manifest yet and a quick search didnt really help. SoaSE modding seems a bit more complicated than what Im used too ^^

Really, it's a lot simpler that most game's I've done.

The manifest files and in the root directory of the mod. Not the GameInfo folder, the folder that the GameInfo folder itself is in.

It's just a list of all the files the game needs to load. If it's not in the manifest, it doesn't get loaded.

June 12, 2015 11:04:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have a question about editing actual settings of the game. 

As you know, before the game starts, you can adjust several factors such as ship speed, income rate, research times, etc. I'm looking to change a few of these values. 

The main one I want to change is research times. Normally I have it set to default, which I believe is "normal", but I sometimes find that I advance through the research tree fairly quickly, and I was looking to slow it down a little. I tried the slow setting. It appears this setting increases research times by roughly 250%, which is waay slower than I hoped. 

So can anybody give me a pointer as to how to change these values? I've sifted through the files a little, but I'm really not sure what to be looking, or if it can even be done. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

June 12, 2015 1:26:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gameplay.constants. just past the pirateRaidDef entry.

June 12, 2015 3:40:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks! 

July 21, 2015 1:33:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Greetings again.

I'm trying a little something right now with starbase mobilization.  I've modified planets allowing players to have multiple starbases, but can't seem to make it where you can phase jump in more than one base.  After looking through things like the reference files, string files, etc, I still can't get it to allow multiples.

Am I missing something stupidly obvious, or is this a hard coded limit...?

July 21, 2015 5:56:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

from what I remember it was hardcoded in entrechment( I think it was about e1.02) and all the later expansions kept the hardcode

July 23, 2015 11:18:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It was one of the patches for Rebellion that changed the way starbase mobilisation worked.

It's hardcoded now to not let you move a starbase if one is already present regardless of starbase limit in the planet entity.

It sucks 

:edit: To elaborate on why it sucks so much.... I started working on my mod 'Sins of the Sirius Sector' when Rebellion came out.
I had replaced the concept of capital ships with mobile 'starbases'... basically all the large ships from gunboats, destroyers, cruisers and battleships were going to be mobile starbases complete with names, custom upgrades etc. providing awesome choice in customising your fleet.

I was about halfway through coding up the Liberty ships when they introduced the hardcode which ruined my plans... I was going to have for example on Liberty's cruiser, a choice between upgraded armor, upgraded main gun ability (and antimatter), enhanced engines or a missile pod upgrade. The idea would be you couldn't get all the upgrades on the one ship, so it encouraged customising each vessel.

The Gunboats would have had upgrades along the lines of either improving capabilities against fighters (corvettes in my mod) or against other capital ships and so on.

Yeah... the hardcode change was pretty crap... I could potentially still do my original plan, since I am in Australia I actually have a retail copy of Sins so I could theoretically reinstall the game files to pre-hardcode... but no one else would be able to enjoy the mod unless they also had a physical disk or did something they shouldn't. 

I've kind of begged them several times to remove said hardcode but obviously it wasn't a priority. 

August 10, 2015 12:04:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Anyone seen this and have a suggestion?

D:\projects\SINS\SinsRebellion\main\CodeSource\GS\Entity\Types\Mission_BuildStarBase.cpp(419): assert! [buildStarBaseAbility.IsValid()]

I appear to get this consistently on one save right when it mini-dumps.

Edit - Think I found it.

August 10, 2015 6:42:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

D:\projects\SINS\SinsRebellion\main\CodeSource\GS\Entity\Types\Mission_BuildStarBase.cpp(419): assert! [buildStarBaseAbility.IsValid()]

Edit - Think I found it.

And you don't share what it was? 

I've seen a lot of Starbase errors, but I don't recall that particular one.

August 11, 2015 11:12:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

Edit - Think I found it.

And you don't share what it was? 

I've seen a lot of Starbase errors, but I don't recall that particular one.

When I made the new resurrection abilities I copied a frigate to use as a hidden staging entity for the abilities that resurrect ships. Unfortunately I copied the Cylon colony frigate which also has roles for starbase construction. I remapped the roles and restarted the save file and did not re-encounter the issue.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time: