Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2667 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 4, 2012 5:52:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Questions about Ship Explosion sound files :    so the ( capital ship, cannon shell, and support ship explosion sounds) are used for the appropriate ship destruction. 

{1} what about the (explosion SUB and SUB ALTs)? do those assign to ships or are they randomly assigned to each explosion event?

{2} are they assigned to you AND the other races in a single game? Or, some go to you and some go to the other players/races?

{3} the (Frigate death explosion and ALT 1 ) are those for all of "your" frigates? or are they used for just one or two ships? Are Frigate explosion sound shared with you and other players or you get one and they get the other?

just wondering if anyone has some experience with these files and could explain the limitation be for i go hacking apart these sound files.

I've been working on a sound mod or sound reorganization. (I'll submit it for review to you guys soon) I've been wanting to add vocal sound samples to explosions sound to help audibly identify speed of fleet degradation and better identity individual ship loss in the fog of war.  IE : "such and such ship has been lost" over top the explosion. im also working on adding voice samples to the weapons with cool downs.

{part 2 of sound mod} all and all im trying to add more radio chatter during the battle events.  the voice samples of the Hyercorp race from "Sins of the Fallen" works really well for adding drama and intensity in the battle events. im in the middle of incorporating them into all race battle sounds. ill have to ask for permission to share and arrange Acknowledgements, of course . and much respect for the quality and amount of time and work to create those sound files. it had to been A LOT of work. 

{part 1 of sound mod} for the most part im finished here, just lots of play testing and corrections. i have had trouble differentiating the vocal announcements and identification from the almost single voice actor for each race. so i took to the incredible redundant task of combing all the different voices of all three races into each single race. the universe is just a big melting pot after all so each ship type has a vastly different sounding voice. also, i combined the best of the three announcer voices and a few voices from the "Maelstrom mod" for logistical announcements. again, wow that's allot of sound editing, much respect. it now sounds like you have several officers talking to you, all from there respective responsibilities. having one or a few voices that sounded too similar made it easy to tune out and miss a pirate raid or the like.

June 7, 2012 12:51:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bump for New Modders.

June 7, 2012 3:12:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Something I've been thinking about..  I know that you can apply a buff from carrier->linked squads, but is there any way to apply a buff from the squad to it's linked carrier?  I mean, sure, you can make it apply a buff to targets in radius and hit the host that way if the squad is either launched or dies and is rebuilt, but is there any way to directly apply a buff to the host?  Some sort of ApplyBuffToProducer?  I know that doesn't exist, but you get the point...

June 7, 2012 8:05:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For the most recent build of DS we tried to do what you're thinking.  Nacey and I spent a couple of weeks trying out every combination of applying buffs to get it to work and couldn't.  Some set ups were very simple, others were overly complex chains of buffs, but in the end it just wouldn't work.  So no, can't be done as far as I know.

June 7, 2012 8:23:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just out of curiosity, what's the most complicated buff chain you guys have made?

June 7, 2012 8:47:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well...  While working on the strike craft/carrier cruisers, trying to eliminate bomber spam issue, one of the more elaborate chains I had made was some 20 buffs long before I gave up and opted for a much simpler approach.  Presently, I think the longest chain is something like 5 buffs long.  I don't remember which ability triggers the chain, but I do remember in my cleaning up of useless files, chasing one down into several files and having to leave it as it was since there was no way to simplify things.

June 7, 2012 8:48:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just starting out modding

how do i update a mod from original sins to diplomacy

June 7, 2012 8:56:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's a lot of questions rolled into one.  No simple answer.  The string file and the various manifests will be the big thing but the GalaxyScenarioDef.entity and player entity files will need updating too.

Can someone here point to a simple post on just these basic steps? 

Finally, check the links at the top of this thread--lot's of details in there.  Harpo also has a Mod updater but you would need to have him give you specifics as to what works and doesn't.

June 7, 2012 9:12:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Truth be told, it's far better to not even bother trying to update a vanilla sins mod to diplomacy.  Every single file has changes made to them and unless you have a good file compare utility that let's you see every file side by side and line by line, you're going to kill yourself trying to make the update happen.  It's easier to just update an old vanilla mod to work on the current version of Vanilla Sins.

However, if you do have a good file compare utility that let's you open up files and see them side by side and line by line, first, you'll want to go through and delete every file that made no changes between the vanilla mod and the core vanilla game.  Diplomacy doesn't need all of the files like vanilla does to run a mod.  Then, once you have the fat cut out of the mod, get yourself a diplomacy version of every file that is remaining in the vanilla mod and change the copied diplomacy files to have the information from the vanilla mod, or in the case of files that don't have a diplomacy counterpart, find one that is similar and use it as a template.  This way you'll have every line that diplomacy requires and the changes made by the original mod.  Finally, you have to create manifests for your mod which Harpo has a tool that can do that for you.

Duration: Depending on the size of the mod and time to dedicate to learning how to mod, weeks to months.
Difficulty: Hard

Fortunately, you have a lot of very knowledgeable people here to help if you get stuck at some point along the way.

June 7, 2012 9:17:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The good news is that if you just want the ships and entity files, it is a lot simpler (maybe).

June 7, 2012 9:24:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

entity files being what?

i got a lot of reading up to do

good news is i think i found my summer hobby

June 7, 2012 9:28:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

..  If you don't know what entity files are, you really need to change that..

Entity files are the files for pretty much every in-game object.  For instance, abilities, buffs, ships, structures, pacts, researches, planets, stars, players, etc are all .entity files.

June 7, 2012 9:29:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

so everything in gameinfo folder

June 7, 2012 9:33:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

but going from original sins to diplomacy do i need to change all the entity files or just the ones that were added

lucky for me they put the ones they added into folders

very good mod

June 7, 2012 9:34:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the string file should be easiest to update

how do i update entity files to fit into diplomacy?

June 7, 2012 10:00:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Something I've been thinking about..  I know that you can apply a buff from carrier->linked squads, but is there any way to apply a buff from the squad to it's linked carrier?  I mean, sure, you can make it apply a buff to targets in radius and hit the host that way if the squad is either launched or dies and is rebuilt, but is there any way to directly apply a buff to the host?  Some sort of ApplyBuffToProducer?  I know that doesn't exist, but you get the point...

ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerWithTravelNoFilterNoRange

ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerNoFilterNoRange (new in Rebellion)

Just out of curiosity, what's the most complicated buff chain you guys have made?

AbilitySonaIsolyticBurst, an ability in SOA2 with 19 total files for function, 17 buff files.  It maintains exclusive operation by canceling other attempts to fire the same ability, spawns a dummy frigate for a point of impact in open space, creates a rift that sucks in nearby ships and damages them before a timed detonation, and has two conditional triggers for early detonation.

June 7, 2012 11:13:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ABTLSNFNR has become a good friend while making the buff computer mentioned elsewhere.  Are you saying that this applies to creation as well or just have the carrier gives buffs to it's SC which in turn give the buff back to the Dunov via lastSpawner?

And if you don't mind my asking, could you PM me a diagram of it and was it for Rebellion or earlier?

June 8, 2012 7:50:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great Questions and explanations here Volt and Psychoak.  Thanks for adding them to the thread.

Quoting noing,
good news is i think i found my summer hobby

That's how it always starts...as a hobby.  It rapidly becomes madness. 

Welcome to our mad, mad world.

June 8, 2012 1:34:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

how do i update entity files to fit into diplomacy?

June 8, 2012 4:11:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

just get the reference sets for sins,entrenchment & diplomacy from here, OR you could convert a COPY of your game files using my text bin gui in my utility pack.

the latest ones are at the bottom of the OP.

harpo

June 8, 2012 4:42:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sorry, i'll rephrase question

how do i update original sins entity files to fit into diplomacy?

June 8, 2012 4:58:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting noing,
how do i update original sins entity files to fit into diplomacy?

You have to add the new lines that were introduced in entrenchment and diplomacy and give them appropriate values. For example, Diplomacy added the "allegianceDecreasePerRoundtrip" to frigate entity files, and the appropriate value will be 0 for anything from a pre-diplomacy mod. Others may not be as obvious and you'll need to find a file from diplomacy that kind of acts like the one you're updating for reference.

June 8, 2012 6:20:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok

thanks

June 8, 2012 7:00:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ABTLSNFNR has become a good friend while making the buff computer mentioned elsewhere.  Are you saying that this applies to creation as well or just have the carrier gives buffs to it's SC which in turn give the buff back to the Dunov via lastSpawner?

Just have the carrier give buffs.  I've done quite a bit of strange stuff off carriers, including turning strike craft into homing missiles, but it's all off the carrier.  Strike craft can't use abilities directly, they break.

And if you don't mind my asking, could you PM me a diagram of it and was it for Rebellion or earlier?

A Diagram of AbilityIsolyticBurst, or something else?

June 8, 2012 7:09:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've thought about using SC as torpedoes before but never bothered to actually do it.

And a diagram of Isolytic Burst, yes, if it's not too much trouble.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: