Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2619 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 17, 2012 12:42:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You can make new research files for the new race, which have different logistics values.

July 17, 2012 1:18:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
You can make new research files for the new race, which have different logistics values.

So, modders do this to save time?

-Draco

July 17, 2012 1:22:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm working on having a custom ship trigger an aoe ability from itself to affect surrounding ships antimatter regeneration rates (NP there).

I want the effect to only be triggered at a gas giant or plasma storm and only to affect the tanker.

Thoughts anyone?

July 17, 2012 3:49:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
I'm working on having a custom ship trigger an aoe ability from itself to affect surrounding ships antimatter regeneration rates (NP there).

I want the effect to only be triggered at a gas giant or plasma storm and only to affect the tanker.

Thoughts anyone?

If its Rebellion, that's trivial with conditions. Apply a buff to the planet, if it has the gas giant or plasma storm buffs, apply buff to all ships, make sure the tankers have a unique buff, and apply a buff to self if it has the tanker buff. The thing is, when do you want this ability to be used? That's a lot harder to do.

July 17, 2012 4:31:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I want the tanker to trigger the buff when it uses it's ability (which will be a timed ability).  I just need the ability to only function while at a plasma storm or gas giant and only the tanker can turn it on.

Is it possible to have a buff only effect a particular planet type?

(Not that I know of--but I haven't modded the Rebellion side yet). 

Ideally, the tanker has an ability that can only occur near a gas giant.

July 17, 2012 5:04:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Using conditions, its very easy to get it to only work at a gas giant or plasma storm as I described (basically do what volt did for the Deliverance engine doing damage only to culture centers). The problem is conditions are in the buff file, the ability file has no way of knowing which planet it is at, and the ability determines when its a valid time to do use it. Best you could do would be to make it target an unowned planet, but short of some clever way of setting it up that its to late for me to think of right now, the ability could still be used at other uncolonizeable planets or just unowned planets, but it would just do nothing. If you don't mind it misfiring sometimes its not too difficult.

July 17, 2012 6:33:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you do it as a passive, you can manage something close to what you want without misfires.

You need a periodic staging application for each scenario that checks for the existence of the corresponding buffs before triggering your effect.  You can give it a "timer" by encapsulating the system inside a longer lasting file.

Tradeoffs either way, missfires or no control over the activation.

If you're still working in diplomacy, you don't need the new triggers either way.  LastSpawnerNoLongerHasBuff is a very useful finish condition for restricting things to specific targets or conditions.

July 17, 2012 7:13:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
I want the tanker to trigger the buff when it uses it's ability (which will be a timed ability).  I just need the ability to only function while at a plasma storm or gas giant and only the tanker can turn it on.

Is it possible to have a buff only effect a particular planet type?

(Not that I know of--but I haven't modded the Rebellion side yet). 

Ideally, the tanker has an ability that can only occur near a gas giant.

Quoting GoaFan77,
Using conditions, its very easy to get it to only work at a gas giant or plasma storm as I described (basically do what volt did for the Deliverance engine doing damage only to culture centers). The problem is conditions are in the buff file, the ability file has no way of knowing which planet it is at, and the ability determines when its a valid time to do use it. Best you could do would be to make it target an unowned planet, but short of some clever way of setting it up that its to late for me to think of right now, the ability could still be used at other uncolonizeable planets or just unowned planets, but it would just do nothing. If you don't mind it misfiring sometimes its not too difficult.

ApplyBuffToLocalOrbitbody.  Then, check for BuffPlasmaStormSelf and BuffGasGiantSelf (or whatever their names actually are).  If so, ApplyBuffToLastSpawnerNoFilterNoRange.  Then do your AoE via ApplyBuffToTargetsInRadius.

July 18, 2012 5:52:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the info all--apparently my reply got 'et.

Is there any chance in Rebellion that we can have an ability that spawns a planet module structure?

July 18, 2012 7:19:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Spawn Phase Stabilizer on the Vorastra.

July 18, 2012 8:38:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh duh...yeah.  Nice spot.

July 18, 2012 5:32:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So, I thought I would take the plunge and make a mod replacing the fleet research for an added race from the Requiem mod beta. I wanted to have more fleet supply so I could do a 1v9 comp stomp on unfair. However, using any of the default race files would give them the bonus as well. So, I set about editing the Tech fleet research by renaming them and changing all the names/descriptions in the player.entity. Then, I added said files to the entity.manifest. I loaded the game and activated the mod. Mini dump. Anyone willing to troubleshoot would be helpful.

-Draco

July 18, 2012 5:35:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Did you load the game in the dev executable and did you update the entity count in the manifest?

July 18, 2012 6:07:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The entity.manifest was updated and I loaded the game with the dev exe, but the mods do not even show up there. Could the update for the Steam version be causing the dump? I am using that version.

-Draco

July 18, 2012 6:12:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DracoRedux,
The entity.manifest was updated and I loaded the game with the dev exe, but the mods do not even show up there. Could the update for the Steam version be causing the dump? I am using that version.

The dev.exe has a different mod folder than normal now, you'll have to copy the mods over there.

July 18, 2012 6:30:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Quoting DracoRedux, reply 1090The entity.manifest was updated and I loaded the game with the dev exe, but the mods do not even show up there. Could the update for the Steam version be causing the dump? I am using that version.

The dev.exe has a different mod folder than normal now, you'll have to copy the mods over there.

Ok, I ran the mod through the dev.exe and I received two errors:

"Assert @ C:\Projects\P4\SinsRebellion\Release\CodeSource\GS/Entity/Interfaces/IBuff.cpp(2708)

isFilterValid"

AND

"Entity Ref not found: Ability_EMP_BoardingParty"

-Draco

July 18, 2012 7:09:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DracoRedux,

The name of the ability would occur in the following locations:

• The entity manifest
  • The name of the ability itself
  • Any entity that uses that ability

Check to make sure it is in the entity manifest and that your entity manifest count is correct...check to make sure you actually have a file called "Ability_EMP_BoardingParty"...if those things are done, then make sure any references to the ability are spelled correctly...you might have named the file differently from how it is referenced in the manifest or on a the ship that uses the ability...

July 18, 2012 9:13:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Do both of these errors refer to this ability? The funny thing is I haven't touched that file. I'm surprised none of my files caused the issue.

-Draco

July 18, 2012 9:57:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I assumed that you were making a new ability or something and had adopted your own naming convention for the entity file...however, particle files also adopt that naming convention (the underscore deal)...so, you may need to look for the particle file and make sure it's there and named correctly...

Also, what in general are you trying to do?  Some entity somewhere is trying to do an effect that uses that particle file....again, I'd bet either there's a typo or it's not in the proper folder or something...

Not quite sure what the first error is but the 2nd one needs to be fixed regardless...they may or may not be related, fix the 2nd one and find out...if you still have the 1st error, hopefully someone will come along that knows what it means...

July 19, 2012 5:14:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DracoRedux,

Quoting GoaFan77, reply 1091
Quoting DracoRedux, reply 1090The entity.manifest was updated and I loaded the game with the dev exe, but the mods do not even show up there. Could the update for the Steam version be causing the dump? I am using that version.

Ok, I ran the mod through the dev.exe and I received two errors:

"Assert @ C:\Projects\P4\SinsRebellion\Release\CodeSource\GS/Entity/Interfaces/IBuff.cpp(2708)

isFilterValid"

AND

-Draco

Still no one that knows the particulars of the other error? Goa, do you have any idea?

-Draco

July 19, 2012 12:05:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Things learned while making a nightmare born of my psychosis...

RemoveBuffOfType

Only works once, if the buff it's removing stacks to ten, you need ten separate instances.
Yes, that's right.  Two files with five instant actions, even with different delays, will only remove two copies.

spawnShipsArrivalDelayTime

It lies.  Like a dog.
If you set you instant action delay time of 0 in conjunction with a 12 second arrival delay, it won't add up the same as 10 and 2.

Planets SUCK

Doing something complicated off a planet?  Don't.
They don't just require passives.  They break all kinds of strangely normal things even within a passive.
Use the planet based ability to trigger a nested function in a passive ability on one of the planetary defenders.
After you do this, you've escaped the purging fires of hell for a milder climate, like a crematorium.  If you don't, two buffs with different functions and identical application methods just might leave you confused as to why only one of them works, and only some of the time.
If something horribly complicated that should be working isn't, check applications to the planet and make them use travel.

I'm sure I ran into more problems, but I can't think of them at the moment.  My brain is fried from 90+ hours of strange problems over the last week...

July 19, 2012 2:13:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting psychoak,
Only works once, if the buff it's removing stacks to ten, you need ten separate instances.
Yes, that's right. Two files with five instant actions, even with different delays, will only remove two copies.

I think you could apply a buff that stacks only once with this the buff, give the stacking buff a finishing condition of not having the new buff, then removing the new buff might work to get rid of them all.

Quoting psychoak,

It lies. Like a dog.
If you set you instant action delay time of 0 in conjunction with a 12 second arrival delay, it won't add up the same as 10 and 2.

Actually the ArrivalDelay is completely broken. I've tried setting it to 100 and it does absolutely nothing different. So that's why.

Quoting DracoRedux,
Still no one that knows the particulars of the other error? Goa, do you have any idea?

Someone screwed something up somewhere. I have no been active in Requiem 4.0 development, but I think I did here a few of them say they removed the ability and had some sort of problem. Should probably ask them.

July 19, 2012 2:26:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's already a 78 file buff chain.  In this case, that would be one more sustained loop in the system.

July 19, 2012 8:12:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting psychoak,

It lies.  Like a dog.

Best thing I've found to get around this is to make the SpawnShipsAtPlanet action go off in it's own buff file as an OnBuffFinish instant action with a TimeElapsed finishing condition. Of course, this means you don't have a real way to "reserve" the supply slots except to spawn a dummy ship which has the same supply cost that dies before the real ship spawns.

July 22, 2012 11:06:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This most likely isn't possible, however, I'm wondering if it is at all possible to create an ability that grants more XP to the enemy when the ship that has this ability is destroyed?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: