Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2667 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 2, 2012 5:14:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Spawn-killing the flagship upon death of the Vorastra should work wouldn't it though?

August 2, 2012 5:28:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It will be spawned from game start as the "flagship" and your titan will simply make a second one when it dies.  Giving you two losing events.

August 2, 2012 5:33:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's fine.  The idea is that you place more emphasis on your Vorastra, increasing its combat presence but also gambling that you'll keep it alive, lest you lose.

August 2, 2012 9:06:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you want to make it important and singular, you could just make the titan a one off.  If it's a research locked passive off an unbuildable, spawned on game start structure at your homeworld, once and only once is pretty easy to do.  Just build the cost of the titan into the research itself.

August 2, 2012 9:47:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The idea is that you can build the Vorastra as normal but a research-locked passive fifth ability significantly increases its stats but killing the Vorastra results in a loss.  If someone elects to play flagship victory, I do not want them to start with the Vorastra as that would obviously be OP.

Because of this, I think I'll just make it spawn and promptly kill the flagship when it dies unless there is an alternative way to ensure loss without impacting gameplay with other victory conditions.

August 2, 2012 10:39:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sometime this weekend I'm going to bust out my web editing and fix a main page for this thread.  I was tinkering in the html today and it just has issues all over.

Basically shoot for a more organized and graphical layout up top (i.e., "more helpful").

August 2, 2012 10:41:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Sometime this weekend I'm going to bust out my web editing and fix a main page for this thread. I was tinkering in the html today and it just has issues all over.

Basically shoot for a more organized and graphical layout up top (i.e., "more helpful").

Sweet, but the current layout seems fine to me. Love your book icon.

August 2, 2012 11:34:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Heh--thanks.  There are a few online generators for the Idiot's books still floating around out there.

I think I can squeeze a little more use into the space up there by categorizing--the more topics the easier to do that and the more need for it.

August 3, 2012 12:12:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yholl,
I've been trying to apply a passive 15% dodge chance to corvettes but it doesn't seem to work. I turned it up to 100% and it did nothing at all. Corvette got atomized pretty much instantly.
Have I simply put it in negative terms, meaning it's got a 115% chance to be hit, or what?

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://pastebin.com/tJYSbLm0
I've never used Pastebin before, hope it works.

But yeah, it is a passive ability on a Corvette type ship, that is supposed to give it 15% chance to dodge. I'm not sure what is wrong...

August 3, 2012 6:37:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't think that entity modifier works on anything but SC....if you look in the damage tables, you will note that each weapon type has a chance to hit fighters, bombers, and capital ships...I believe the chance to dodge directly affects that value, which is non existent for frigates and corvettes...

August 3, 2012 4:28:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How do I change up the game's ship formation logic so that capital ships and frigates are treated equally, instead of frigates always being in front of capital ships?

August 3, 2012 4:36:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

formationRank

Also, spawn-killing the flagship doesn't cause loss of the game, even when playing with flagship victory.

August 3, 2012 8:21:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nice tip on formation rank.  It drove me crazy trying to figure a way to change that.  Thanks.

August 3, 2012 8:24:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know Harpo's tools has an entity.manifest update tool.  Does he have anything for string files and/or the GSD?

Has anyone tried them if he does?

August 3, 2012 8:34:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
I know Harpo's tools has an entity.manifest update tool. Does he have anything for string files and/or the GSD?

Not that I know of. And there is always Eclipse for the other two.

I do have one little tool for strings I made myself if you're interested. Basically I got tired of having to hunt down every little string Starclad changes with each patch. So I maintain a file with all my changed and added strings. When a new patch comes out, I copy the new String file, and run the program. It then puts my changes on top of the old ones and updates the count accordingly. It requires Python to be installed on your computer though, and is certainly not a fancy GUI like harpo does.

August 3, 2012 9:05:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmmmm.  I guess I'll pack my files over to you *cough* when I finish.

Actually the string tool would be great.  I hate checking for typos and accidentally cut periods and commas.

August 3, 2012 9:42:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For an alternative method, what about making the Titan the flagship, and having it come with a crippled initial power.

You can research lock it's abilities and weapons without even doing something fancy.

August 3, 2012 10:54:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Quoting Sinperium, reply 1240
I know Harpo's tools has an entity.manifest update tool. Does he have anything for string files and/or the GSD?
Not that I know of. And there is always Eclipse for the other two.

Sinperium won't use Eclipse until I make an auto-installer. Therefore he won't be using Eclipse.

On the string thing I keep all my string separate then merge them together with custom Ant scripts. I support a bar delimited string file that makes editing names and descriptions easier. The mergedata generically merges files like string info's, sounds, explosion data, etc. 

At it's simplest maintaining your mods strings separately from the games and manually merging them together is still better than lots of one offs in the main English.str. Any duplicates for things you change string entries for from the base will work if they are at the top of the English.str (i.e. any duplicates listed after the first are ignored).

<target name="merge_string_data" depends="generate_race_stringinfo">
<mkdir dir="${mymod.dir}/String"/>
<mergedata dataCountName="NumStrings" dataFileName="${mymod.dir}/String/English.str">
<fileset dir="${mymod.dir}/String" includes="${race.name}_English.str"/>
<fileset dir="${diplomacy.reference.dir}/String" includes="English.str"/>
</mergedata>
</target>

<target name="generate_race_stringinfo">
<generatestringinfo stringInfoFileName="${mymod.dir}/String/${race.name}_English.str" stringInfoTemplate="${project}/Templates/${race.name}_stringinfo.txt"
baseStringInfoFileName="${project}/Templates/${race.name}_English.str"
prefix = "IDS"
appendnamewhennodescription="false">
</generatestringinfo>
</target>

August 3, 2012 11:10:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In my house, we kill ants...smart alack.

That looks a lot like xml.

I have 15+ strikecraft types to add in.

Keep poking me and one day I'll use your tool just to spite you.  Also, if you want to properly promote your tool you should have provided a link in your reply there.

(lol--check our karma)

August 3, 2012 11:28:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
In my house, we kill ants...smart alack.

lol, I gave helpful advice too.

Quoting Sinperium,
That looks a lot like xml.

Ant scripts are xml based which then call ant libraries based on the tags. I have a dozen or so custom ant tasks I've written.

Quoting Sinperium,
Keep poking me and one day I'll use your tool just to spite you.  Also, if you want to properly promote your tool you should have provided a link in your reply there.

I feel no need to promote what is obvious. People who feel they are better served by continuing with Notepad++ just like driving mopeds while everyone else has the Ferrari.

Quoting Sinperium,
(lol--check our karma)

Ya, your # of replies have also exceeded mine. People apparently give lots of karma for silly.

August 3, 2012 11:36:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"Style"...it's style--not "silly".  

You may beat me at development chic but I win at social engineering.

If it makes you happy, I am re-installing it now.  It is pretty darn easy (Oh Grud, now I'm gonna hear it).

I'll let you know if my brain melts when I try to output something. I also spilled sugar on my keyboard and still see no ants in it. 

And if it doesn't work out for me, I can always entertain myself sending you fake bug reports on it.

August 4, 2012 12:54:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
fake bug reports

August 4, 2012 1:02:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A zombie's worst nightmare.

Can you list the plug-ins or whatever somewhere needed to ouput strings and manifests and the like?

August 4, 2012 1:26:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Can you list the plug-ins or whatever somewhere needed to ouput strings and manifests and the like?

I'm not supporting my ant tasks publicly that build manifests and string files, just the Eclipse plugin for mod validations.

Harpo's manifest generator works great and should be used by most of the modders.

The eclipse plugin will validate your English.str for correctness and will validate your entity files reference a valid String entry. 

It will also do several GalaxyScenarioDef validations too.

August 4, 2012 11:19:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
I feel no need to promote what is obvious. People who feel they are better served by continuing with Notepad++ just like driving mopeds while everyone else has the Ferrari.

Some of us still use the original notepad...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time: