Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2668 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 22, 2013 10:40:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
did you use RacialBuffAtLocation?

Yes, I did.

November 22, 2013 9:52:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That is a shame if that is the case... I was hoping to use each races ships for open rebellion in my mod...

November 23, 2013 4:35:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

subExplosionCount exceeds the maximum allowed. 15 requested but only 12 allowed. If a larger number is needed bug a programmer!

So... any of you lads fancy yourselves reverse engineers?

November 27, 2013 5:20:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Actually, I've had some Advent ships spawn. It spawns ships that matches the race of the controller of the planet at the time. Also, it should be noted that Open Rebellion only happens to planets below 30% allegiance and the game checks every 4 minutes. However, just because the card says 30%, it still might not TRULY be at 30%, so you could unluckily get the planet overtaken. Also, after knowing this, I've never had a problem with Open Rebellion.

November 27, 2013 7:29:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That was probably partisans that fired, not open rebellion.

November 28, 2013 10:52:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the feedback and info guys--particularly thanks for continuing to help people out.

Much appreciated.  Happy Thanksgiving.

November 29, 2013 4:54:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there any way to target specific factions apart from 'isPsi'?

November 29, 2013 10:49:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In terms of constraints? No. However you could reuse say, unstoppable phase jump, make a passive ability that gives a ship that condition and give said ability to every ship in a given faction.

November 29, 2013 7:43:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

In terms of constraints? No. However you could reuse say, unstoppable phase jump, make a passive ability that gives a ship that condition and give said ability to every ship in a given faction.

That is a really clever trick! I could use that as I'm not using any abilities that inhibit phase jump, just ones that outright disable it.

Thanks Lavo!

December 13, 2013 5:53:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So I'm finally getting around to experimenting with random events. Does anyone know exactly what locations are valid for spawnLocation "RandomLocation"? For example, do I have to worry about it picking uncolonizeable gravity wells if I want a random event only on colonizeable planets?

December 14, 2013 5:29:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes you do. I've seen Plasma Storms hit uncolonizable wells. That being said, with RandomLocation, you can put in exceptions, i.e. all uncolonizable planets.

December 14, 2013 5:42:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Yes you do. I've seen Plasma Storms hit uncolonizable wells. That being said, with RandomLocation, you can put in exceptions, i.e. all uncolonizable planets.

Yeah that's what I did on the safe side, but there's over 15 uncolonizeable gravity wells with the fair versions and the Stellar phenomenon DLC, so it was kind of annoying to do. I'm hoping the stars won't be effected at least since they have their own method of selection. Luckily there doesn't seem to be a limit on how many exceptions you can add. 

December 14, 2013 5:46:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Stars don't get hit by that selection. Also, look on the bright side; once you have an exception list done, you can reuse it in the future.

December 15, 2013 2:52:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does anyone happen to know what mesh point shipyard structures use to determine where ship under construction animation gets placed (not the sparks flair, where the ship itself is centered on)?

December 15, 2013 4:50:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's either center, or the ship is placed in the actual physical center of the mesh.

December 15, 2013 5:32:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

It's either center, or the ship is placed in the actual physical center of the mesh.

The center of the physical mesh seems to be where it defaults to. However, I remembered the Advent frigate factory definitely does not build ships in the center of the mesh, and I found this which was not in my list of valid meshpoints.

Point
DataString "ShipBuild"
Position [ 0.000000 147.216888 0.000000 ]
Orientation
[ 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 ]
[ 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 ]
[ 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 ]

Going to try this and hope it lets me move the point.

Edit: Yup, the game will use ShipBuild if present in the model, and if not will default to the center of the mesh (where the faction icon is displayed). If you see this Myfist you might want to make a note on your site as this isn't mentioned in the modeling documentation.

Edit2: You can also apparently change the orientation of this meshpoint and the ship will be rotated accordingly.

December 16, 2013 12:16:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Quoting Lavo_2, reply 2065

The center of the physical mesh seems to be where it defaults to. However, I remembered the Advent frigate factory definitely does not build ships in the center of the mesh, and I found this which was not in my list of valid meshpoints.

Point
DataString "ShipBuild"
Position [ 0.000000 147.216888 0.000000 ]
Orientation
[ 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 ]
[ 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 ]
[ 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 ]

Going to try this and hope it lets me move the point.

Edit: Yup, the game will use ShipBuild if present in the model, and if not will default to the center of the mesh (where the faction icon is displayed). If you see this Myfist you might want to make a note on your site as this isn't mentioned in the modeling documentation.

Edit2: You can also apparently change the orientation of this meshpoint and the ship will be rotated accordingly.

Well, I was about to post that but then realised you already worked it out =P

I worked out the shipbuild mesh point a while ago when I was making the Imperial Outpost for 7DS, also had to make use of it in Sins of the Sirius Sector.

It's a shame ships don't actually move out from the build position (kinda like homeworld) and instead just pop out in front of the factory.

December 20, 2013 9:49:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Anyone know if you can set certain planets or systems to use a specific skybox instead of picking one at random?

December 20, 2013 10:51:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wintercross,
Anyone know if you can set certain planets or systems to use a specific skybox instead of picking one at random?

Planets can be set to use specific skyboxes.

December 20, 2013 11:08:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Quoting Wintercross, reply 2068Anyone know if you can set certain planets or systems to use a specific skybox instead of picking one at random?

Is that in the entity for the planet, or set in the map file?

December 20, 2013 11:20:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Quoting Wintercross, reply 2068Anyone know if you can set certain planets or systems to use a specific skybox instead of picking one at random?

I thought that was in Stars... Planets can add scalars to the texture...

December 20, 2013 12:10:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

Quoting Lavo_2, reply 2069

Ok, I think I have it now.

What exactly does the scalar entries on planet entities do to the skybox?

December 20, 2013 12:17:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

Meant to say stars, but yeah zombie's right.

December 25, 2013 6:54:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Im not up to date on this thread so i apologize if it has already been asked but is there a way to remove the icon from a unit or building? in other words,it it would only be visible when zoomed in?

December 25, 2013 9:37:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting teeheez,

Im not up to date on this thread so i apologize if it has already been asked but is there a way to remove the icon from a unit or building? in other words,it it would only be visible when zoomed in?

You could just remove the icon reference probably. Or just make a blank icon. You'd still know it was in the gravity well because its name would be displayed through planet unit list/Empire tree though.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: