Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Modder's "Get-an-Answer" Thread

Answers from Modders, for Modders who "Ask a Question"

By on April 13, 2011 12:05:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

This is the place to ask and recieve specific modding (mod making) questions and answers. If you have a mod making question, post it here.

If your question involves long snippets of entity files and the like, please don't paste the entire file contents here but put them at the incredibly easy to use http://pastebin.com and then provide the link to your paste in your question posted here.

Please do limit  "just comments" here to brief posts please.  If you don't know the answer or can't point to help--don't post.  Please note that a random, uninformed guess isn't an actual answer.  

You can refer people to another source--IF it actually helps answer their question.  This could be in the form of links, outside sites, specific modding-useful programs, direction towards another post or poster, etc., etc.

Remember--specific questions, specific answers.  Only respond to the ones you can help solve.  Also, feel free to amplify, clarify, suggest alternatives to or correct answers seen here if such actions are merited and help provide a real solution. No flaming, insults or put downs here in the answers or other posts please.

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.  The reason for the rigid rules here is those this thread becomes a usable resource in the future to new people looking for answers.

NOTE: If an answer resolves your issue, please share it here.  These answers will help others coming along later too.  Karma is a great way to respond to people providing help without clogging the thread or bombing their forum mailbox here. Thanks!

OTHER SINS HELPFUL MODDING LINKS*

*Links are updated regularly.

The Soase Idiot's Guide

Confused?  No idea where to even start?

Determined to work at it?

This is the place!

Sins Modding Wiki

ZombieRus's Eclipse Wizardry

Tutorials

MyFist0's full modding site.

Emphasis on modeling  and

texturing.                            

REBELLION MODDING TOPICS

Rebellion Modding Q & A

Mesh Editing

Changing Diplomacy Files to Rebellion

IT REALLY HURTS MY BRAIN--HOW TO START

An Idiot's Guide To Getting Started

MyFist0's Modding Megasite!

MOD DOWNLOADS

ZombieRus5's Mod Yard

Directory of Planet Mods

STEAM

STEAM Sins Forums

DEVELOPERS

Sins Developer Journals Forum 2007 to Present

REFERENCE FILES

Research Modifier List

MyFist0's Exported Models & Files

Modifier List

Harpo's Converted Sins Reference Files 2011

THIRD PARTY TOOLS

3dS Texturing Toool & Tips

Ship Fleet Calculator

SoaSE Eclipse Plugin Project

Mesh Resizing Tool--courtesy of the Reqiuem team.

Harpo's Sins Utility Package -- Dropbox

The Sins Optimization Project (TSOP)

Artificial Unintelligence (Mod and AI info)

Sins Data Converter by BCXtreme

EXPLANATIONS & DISCUSSIONS

Rebellion Updates by Blair Frazier

How to Add a Fourth Race

User-updatable Ship Reference Chart

Sins Modding Dictionary

Adding phase Effects to other weapon types

Culture, Explanation/Discussion

Weapons, Explanation/Discusion

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion-1

Shield Mitigation & Armor, Explanation/Discussion -2

Graphic Chart of Sin's Counters

Annotated Guide to the Developer.exe

In-Game Map Creator

Weapons Banks & DPS

Combat Mechanics

Rebellion Shield Mitigation & Focus Fire testing

PARTICLE FORGE

Particle Forge Help Thread

GALAXY FORGE

Adding Artifacts

Working Template Examples

SemazRalan's Template Guide

Pirates Base Start Template

SOUND RESOURCES

[SFX] Black Sun SFX/Music Resource for Modders

MODELING & TEXTURING--SOFTIMAGE XSI, 3DS MAX

XSI Texturing, Tutorial

3dS Model Exporter

3DS Max Rigging, Texturing & Exporting, Guide

Modding/Modelling/Texturing/Converting, Tutorials

WIKI'S

Sins of a Solar Empire Official Wiki

2668 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 4, 2014 10:43:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Quoting Seleuceia, reply 2149
You could make the other 2 values (threshold and minAttuenuationDist) really big...that might work...

I tried that but while i could notice it go down further if those numbers were low i didn't notice a huge impact with a big number.  How big can that number go?  I went up to 100000, reloaded the dev exe and still had trouble hearing it but its not too bad.  I was just wondering if there was a better way

If the ship doesn't have weapons, you can tell the ability to use the actual attack dialog when the ability is used. I use this for an unarmed troop ship to say "Deploying Soldiers" when it colonizes a planet. Alternatively if the ship is only spawned by ability (never built in a factory), you could use the build dialog section for this.

February 5, 2014 12:48:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

If the ship doesn't have weapons, you can used tell the ability to use the actual attack dialog when the ability is used. I use this for an unarmed troop ship to actually say "Deploying Soldiers" when it colonizes a planet. Alternatively if the ship is only spawned by ability (never built in a factory), you could use the build dialog section for this.

The ship does have weapons but it isn't exactly built, it is spawned.  I assume you are referring to the "ONCREATION" sound?  It has one for when it is spawned but it would be a fair tradeoff to dump it and use that if needed.  I will test that and see if it is worth it!  I'm also gonna try rerecording the sound from a source I can get a higher volume and see how that goes.

Thanks

February 5, 2014 1:01:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Quoting GoaFan77, reply 2151
If the ship doesn't have weapons, you can used tell the ability to use the actual attack dialog when the ability is used. I use this for an unarmed troop ship to actually say "Deploying Soldiers" when it colonizes a planet. Alternatively if the ship is only spawned by ability (never built in a factory), you could use the build dialog section for this.

The ship does have weapons but it isn't exactly built, it is spawned.  I assume you are referring to the "ONCREATION" sound?  It has one for when it is spawned but it would be a fair tradeoff to dump it and use that if needed.  I will test that and see if it is worth it!  I'm also gonna try rerecording the sound from a source I can get a higher volume and see how that goes.

Thanks

Yes. I'm pretty sure the "orderAcknowledgementType" line will take any of the dialog categories in the entity file. I'm assuming you want the ship captain to say some specific line to the player when a signature ability is used. If not, this method will only work when the ability is used (no delays like you can do with buffs), and only the player who used the ability will hear it, not all players like playing it as a sound effect will.

Also, I suppose you could use the "ONSTARTPHASEJUMP" for structures or units that cannot phase jump for whatever reason.

February 9, 2014 6:27:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the help, I managed to get it to an acceptable level using it as an effect sound with some tooling around with the audio itself

Now for another issue on a different ability/buff.  I have a ship with 2 forward missle banks.  It is set to fire 2 missles at a time, one from each bank.  I have created an ability/buff to fire 2 high-yeild warheads from these banks but the issue I am having is that it only fires from one bank.  It is set as Ability 3, there are 2 Ability-3 points in the mesh corresponding to the same missle banks, and the abilityindex is set to 3.  I am using the "ApplyBuffToTargetsInRadiusWithTravel" since it is one of only 2 buffs that I found with "effectstaggerdelay" which I assumed was similar if not the same as pointstaggerdelay.  I also set it to 2 bursts.  So under normal logic it should fire 2 shots from each bank for a total of 4 effects based off the burst/stagger delays but it only fires 2 shots from the same bank.  

Is what I am attempting possible and if so, any ideas?

February 9, 2014 6:45:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Thanks for the help, I managed to get it to an acceptable level using it as an effect sound with some tooling around with the audio itself

Now for another issue on a different ability/buff.  I have a ship with 2 forward missle banks.  It is set to fire 2 missles at a time, one from each bank.  I have created an ability/buff to fire 2 high-yeild warheads from these banks but the issue I am having is that it only fires from one bank.  It is set as Ability 3, there are 2 Ability-3 points in the mesh corresponding to the same missle banks, and the abilityindex is set to 3.  I am using the "ApplyBuffToTargetsInRadiusWithTravel" since it is one of only 2 buffs that I found with "effectstaggerdelay" which I assumed was similar if not the same as pointstaggerdelay.  I also set it to 2 bursts.  So under normal logic it should fire 2 shots from each bank for a total of 4 effects based off the burst/stagger delays but it only fires 2 shots from the same bank.  

Is what I am attempting possible and if so, any ideas?

You want to look at how Raze Planet is constructed. Abilities work different to weapon banks, so when you set it to 2 bursts it will only fire 2 shots. Not 2x number of hardpoints.

If you set up the ability similar to how Raze Planet is set up, you can make it alternate from different hardpoints.

February 10, 2014 5:25:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have only been able to sweep the forums on and of for quite awhile and I have heard a general "no" to this but wanted to ask one more time: 

I have(had?) a pirate mod set up before truce with rogues and pirates.

Is there any way to make pirate or rogue units to NOT be affected by these things?  Either by faction OR by creating a per unit ability on their ships?

February 10, 2014 12:41:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I got a nice answer to the above and thought I'd share what was given:

Short answer, no. Long answer, you can fake raids.

You can use the random event system to apply spawn buffs owned by a MadVasari type player, and trigger these from your pirates to "send raids" that will be hostile even to TAR players.

See SOA2 for implementing third party spawn abilities, etc.

Thank you sir.

February 10, 2014 1:17:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,

I got a nice answer to the above and thought I'd share what was given:

Short answer, no. Long answer, you can fake raids.

You can use the random event system to apply spawn buffs owned by a MadVasari type player, and trigger these from your pirates to "send raids" that will be hostile even to TAR players.

See SOA2 for implementing third party spawn abilities, etc.

Thank you sir.

At the moment I believe even this does not work, because TAR even allies you with the mad vasari titan. Of course this is a bug that will in theory be fixed at one point, and after that this will work, and may even give us a way to specify which factions Truce Amongst Rogues will work on (depends on how the devs set it up).

February 10, 2014 4:34:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wintercross,

You want to look at how Raze Planet is constructed. Abilities work different to weapon banks, so when you set it to 2 bursts it will only fire 2 shots. Not 2x number of hardpoints.

If you set up the ability similar to how Raze Planet is set up, you can make it alternate from different hardpoints.

This worked perfectly, thank you.  I completely forgot about the Raze Planet ability doing exactly what I wanted, just to a planet instead of a ship.  But since this is a high yield weapon I made it the main bombing apparatus for the ship i was working on.  So in effect I have a reverse Marza.  The ability fires at ships, and normal bombs like Raze Planet lol

Thanks again!

February 10, 2014 6:03:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've "fixed"(?) MyFist0's link in the header.  

If anyone has changes or things they would like added or removed there, pleae just PM me and I'll get right to it.

February 11, 2014 12:04:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

MyFist0's Modding Megasite! kill that link

Sins Modding Dictionary also dead

If you want, you can add

Install Rebellion Mods

Move the Mods Folder

February 11, 2014 2:31:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Quoting Wintercross, reply 2155

This worked perfectly, thank you.  I completely forgot about the Raze Planet ability doing exactly what I wanted, just to a planet instead of a ship.  But since this is a high yield weapon I made it the main bombing apparatus for the ship i was working on.  So in effect I have a reverse Marza.  The ability fires at ships, and normal bombs like Raze Planet lol

Thanks again!

no worries man! also of note while raze planet uses projectiles, it also works with missile types as well =D

February 13, 2014 5:18:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is there any way or mod to have an AI only battle? I don't know if anyone else can actually do this within the game because it doesnt work for me, if you could answer this, I would be happy, thanks!

February 13, 2014 6:57:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Run the game with the DEV exe, change player to AI

See stickies for DEV.exe help

February 17, 2014 12:28:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey guys! I know sins used to have its source files in a link for downloading. Frankly i can not find it now! If somebody would be nice to give me the link that would be great!

Thx guys!

February 17, 2014 6:04:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lordcronos,

Hey guys! I know sins used to have its source files in a link for downloading. Frankly i can not find it now! If somebody would be nice to give me the link that would be great!

Thx guys!
try the 'harpo's reference files thread'(which is one of the stickies at the top of the page), and there might be others in the modding area also.

harpo

February 18, 2014 6:42:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cheers man! I got it!

Thx again guys!

February 18, 2014 9:19:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey guys! I am puzzled, i cant seam to find the variable which is controlling the radius of the construction area around the planet. I noticed that hyperspaceExitRadius variable is changing the basic radius of the construction area, but i would love to change the construction area only or at least reduce the ratio of hyperspaceExitRadius/construction area.

Is any of you have came a cross whit this variable?

Thx guys!

February 18, 2014 9:24:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lordcronos,
i cant seam to find the variable which is controlling the radius of the construction area around the planet

This is actually defined in the entity file of the module itself, nearPlacementDistOffset and farPlacementDistOffset, are the variables you are looking for. One fun thing to note is that these lines allow you to have structures have different placement limits, such as allowing planets to be placed everywhere and limiting factories to being near planets.

February 18, 2014 9:37:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh thx!

How lovely stuff it is! Actually this is a better way of dealing with my problem!

Cheers man!

February 19, 2014 1:30:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey guys, I got a tricky (I think) question regarding mesh hardpoint orientation.  I referred back to an old thread of mine where I got schooled on Mesh points here: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/427528/page/1/#3182861

I was wondering If it is possible for the orientation to be "up and back" vs just back or upwards.

Assuming I didn't completely lose myself trying to figure it out, I think it would come out to (can someone clarify if a -0.000000 is different from just 0.000000?  I know mathematically 0 and -0 are the same number.)

[ -1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 ]
[ 0.000000 0.000000 -1.000000 ]

Question also is if this would affect field of fire.  Instead of just firing back or upwards would it only be able to fire if the target was behind and above?

Thanks

February 19, 2014 2:33:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Hey guys, I got a tricky (I think) question regarding mesh hardpoint orientation.  I referred back to an old thread of mine where I got schooled on Mesh points here: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/427528/page/1/#3182861

I was wondering If it is possible for the orientation to be "up and back" vs just back or upwards.

Assuming I didn't completely lose myself trying to figure it out, I think it would come out to (can someone clarify if a -0.000000 is different from just 0.000000?  I know mathematically 0 and -0 are the same number.)

[ -1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 ]

Question also is if this would affect field of fire.  Instead of just firing back or upwards would it only be able to fire if the target was behind and above?

Thanks

There really is no "Up" or "Down" for firing archs. Per the entity files, there is forward, backwards, left and right that you can set damage for, but up and down are just kind of ignored. If you place a ship directly above another ship, you'll notice it has to turn to face up before it can fire.

Technically you can aim a mesh point directly up if you wanted to, but again it will somehow be placed into a front/back/left/right firing arch. Thus changing a hardpoint to point up or down at an angle is really only useful for things like missile weapons, where you can make them shoot up a bit before turning to seek out their targets like the TEC Starbase missiles do.

February 19, 2014 5:59:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

There really is no "Up" or "Down" for firing archs. Per the entity files, there is forward, backwards, left and right that you can set damage for, but up and down are just kind of ignored. If you place a ship directly above another ship, you'll notice it has to turn to face up before it can fire.

Technically you can aim a mesh point directly up if you wanted to, but again it will somehow be placed into a front/back/left/right firing arch. Thus changing a hardpoint to point up or down at an angle is really only useful for things like missile weapons, where you can make them shoot up a bit before turning to seek out their targets like the TEC Starbase missiles do.

I knew that the firing arcs were restricted to fore, aft, port and starboard so i figured the orientation had to include one of those directions.  I just wondered if it had any bearing on when it could fire in those arcs....oh well.  

But now I am having an issue with this hardpoint.  I set to to the standard aft orientation in the mesh, added the correct weapon info in the entity but it is not firing.  I double checked the mesh point I added, confirmed it set to weapon-2 (this is the third weapon for this ship).  Are there any restrictions about having 2 weapons of the same weapontype/weaponclasstype (ie Beam/BEAM?) with different stats?  What else could cause it?

Thanks again

February 19, 2014 8:02:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,

Quoting GoaFan77, reply 2172

I knew that the firing arcs were restricted to fore, aft, port and starboard so i figured the orientation had to include one of those directions.  I just wondered if it had any bearing on when it could fire in those arcs....oh well.  

But now I am having an issue with this hardpoint.  I set to to the standard aft orientation in the mesh, added the correct weapon info in the entity but it is not firing.  I double checked the mesh point I added, confirmed it set to weapon-2 (this is the third weapon for this ship).  Are there any restrictions about having 2 weapons of the same weapontype/weaponclasstype (ie Beam/BEAM?) with different stats?  What else could cause it?

Thanks again

There shouldn't be any issues with weapon types or classes.
Most likely something went wrong in the conversion process for the mesh.

February 19, 2014 9:04:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This may be a dumb question, but did you put at least 1 target on the "back" weapon bank in the ship entity file?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: